Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

28,801 to 28,820 of 37,766 messages
05/08/2013 at 10:04

Not random totals Gul. First 2 weeks were low due to VLM recovery (8, 39). Then I upped the mileage but at a slow pace, back to pre VLM taper totals (70, 72, 63). Cut back week (59) followed by a bit of quality meant I let the mileage drop a bit (51, 55), followed by a toe injury for 1 week resulted in the only sub 50m week (48). Then as the 18 week marathon plan kicked in I have tried to progress the total mileage over 3-4 weeks followed by 1 wk cutback (61, 71, 88, 58) August should look something like this (73, 77, 80, 84, 54) - but it does depend on how I feel / life and work commitments. 

Yes, all about Abo again Lorenzo

4-0 to the ladies. Nice pbs. Liter and Minni. 

05/08/2013 at 11:45

Solid work Keir and incorporating lessons from your previous campaign has to be a big plus.

Hats off to the thread ladies. Very impressive list of PBs and podium places. Come on chaps, who's gonna respond with a result?

Sounds like a rough day out GM, hope your sensitive parts are healing up.

Lots* of off-road hilly miles this weekend for me, making the most of the excellent conditions (although its lashing down today).

* = not as many as anyone else on here though

06/08/2013 at 07:07

MRI  scan and X ray yesterday on my dodgy hip. I'll have to wait 3 weeks for the results but fluid on the joint and arthritis were mentioned by the doc 

06/08/2013 at 07:31

Keir - sorry, my mistake.
SJ - nice hilly miles.
OO - that's going to be a long 3 weeks waiting for those results. Hope it's not as bad as you fear.
9 miles for me this morning with 8x800m off 200m recoveries:-
3:00, 2:57, 2:53, 2:53, 2:55, 2:54, 2:58, 2:54.
Quite a tough session.

06/08/2013 at 08:37

sorry it was ultrasound not MRI

06/08/2013 at 09:57

Gul - They are impressive 800's! What is your target for the half and what is your PB?

Will attempt a run later tonight after my lovely long run on Sunday!

06/08/2013 at 11:27

No worries Gul. The numbers do look random without the background story. Those are mighty impressive 800m reps. Especially if you ran them solo. 

Hope the ultrasound results are good OO

16m nice and easy over a scenic off road hilly route today. Was meant to be a progressive run but after getting home late after romantic Thai meal I swapped the sessions around. 

06/08/2013 at 11:42

Hope the results of the ultrasound are ok, OO and that the knee feels better during today's run, GM.

Nice 800s from Gul, especially early doors and off such short recoveries.  Sounds like a  lovely run, Keir.

10M easy for me this morning on the flat, so came out at 7.49m/m and felt pretty comfy.  Hills slow you down - who'd a thunk it?

06/08/2013 at 12:32

Indeed - hot reps from Gul. Quietly chipping away into genuine speedster territory Sir. How's the job hunt going ?

Good luck with the hip OO - slightly unusual to have an USS of that bit of your anatomy. Seems a long time to wait for results too....

Great consistent miles from you Keir. Take it easy on yourself when you need to mate - we don';t want any nasty niggles creeping in

I'm still chugging out 55-60 mile weeks and have now got 4 * 20s under my belt. Still trying to do two quicker sessions a week. Have to say I'm quite glad all this hot weather is over

06/08/2013 at 13:10

GM - My HM PB is 1:32 in March 2010 and I haven't run one since. Nominal target of sub 90.
Keir - they were solo, unless you count a couple of dog-walkers. Sounds like a nice 16 miler this morning.
Jools - hills? What are they?
Frazerelli - I had another interview yesterday, a bit closer to home. However, during their peak season, they work 8am to 6pm and 45 hour week, which would have be an even longer working day then the other job. My latest application is for a job at the local college, which is a short walk away
I don't do my intervals on a track, but on pathways round the local park, so wouldn't pay too much attention to converting those splits into paces. However, I've used the same markers for several years and the reps are getting faster.

06/08/2013 at 14:04

Gul - That Half PB is under serious threat and given the right conditions and all else being well I would bet that you can shave at least 5 mins off that! That would be nice hey! Hope you get the job you want Gul.

OO - Hope you get a positive result re the Ultrasound.

Jools - That's a decent 10 miler! Thanks re the knee, I have opted out of a 10k race tonight after my run on Sunday I think I need to slow things down for a bit. Gutted as I ran a poor time on the course last year after coming back from injury and I was hoping to run a 39:x but that will have to wait. Am looking forward to conquering the long run this coming Sunday and will take every precaution to ensure same thing doesn't happen again!

SJ - London marathon was less painful but thanks and I am feeling less sensitive today. Nice trail running there!

06/08/2013 at 16:29

Speaking of trail running, I've entered this:

http://www.traildeparis.com/   The long option . Should be fun!

OO hope the news is positive - frustrating wait though.

Gul, you are shaping up for a solid PB.

I did an actual speed session this morning! First since last September so it was a bit of a shock. 4x1K off 2mins. All turned out a bit longer than 1K due to my dodgy planning so I ended up with 2.8miles at 5:51mm ave. (a smidge quicker than my 5K PB pace). The last felt easier than the first but was still painful. 

06/08/2013 at 21:38

Some speedy reps there fellas. It must be the day for it as I also did intervals. My last track training session of the season it turns out. 4 x 600m, 1 x 200m off 3 mins. The 600s were meant to be at 1500m pace and they came out at 2.05, 2.04, 2.06, 2.04, then the 200m all out was 33 seconds. This should come in handy as I'm down to run the 1500m in the Midlands league on Saturday. 

06/08/2013 at 21:39

That looks "formidable" Slokey, trail racing + French food and wine = running heaven

07/08/2013 at 06:07

GM - sorry to hear you've had to pull out of the 10k, but probably a wise decision.
SJ - looks like a great event! Good interval session.
Speedy - fast track session - looking good for Saturday.
3 mile recovery run d&d.

07/08/2013 at 07:48

What's you target for the GNR Speedy?

07/08/2013 at 07:54

4 miles last night at 7:15mm pace. Knee fine apart from when I came down a hill it felt a bit twitchy. It's not painful just feels stiff and sometimes almost locks when I run up steep hills /steps or descend them. Anyone else ever experience this?

Good reps there SG. I would love to race a 1500!

07/08/2013 at 09:31
Gul- very decent 800 reps from you and I'm sure your plotted 800 metres are more accurate than my garmin 800s.

OO- fingers crossed for the hip.

Frazer- do you have an autumn marathon planned or are you just keeping your hand in with the 20s.

Good luck with the ultra SJ, running 80k doesn't appeal to me.(at the moment)

Slow down a bit if your knee is playing up GM.

15 miles for me this morning, first 10 at 8.15 pace and last 5 at 7.30 pace PnD style. Showered and in work at 7.45, feel a bit shagged now.
07/08/2013 at 09:46

Congratulations to Jools, Lit, Speedy, Minni and Keir for PB/wins.  (I'm a bit late as I've been sick a few days)

And Speedy your 600m reps are looking, well, speedy

The Ecotrail d'Paris sounds great SJ.  The French really are sadistic with the final twist in the race of running up the Eifel Tower.

I ran Parkrun at the weekend in 32minutes ish.  My boy (4)  part ran and part got pushed.  After the organiser told me he can get a runner barcode even though he doesn't run all the way - so I guess he will soon be getting his '10' T-shirt.

I also won a months free gym membership in the gym challenge in which I was the person able to hold a wall sit with a dumbell held outstreched in the arms.  So I'll be ddoing a lot of strength training this month.

JD3
07/08/2013 at 10:19

CC2 – excellent new PB and gross road kill, nice intervals too

TR – I hope that the millage comes good, I’ve been up in the 60s for a little while now- did 7 weeks in the 50s averaging 54, with the last 1 being the best week of running I’ve done, based on Beats per mile basis, since then 49, 64, 60, 42, 30, 60, 68, 33, 68, 63, though the last 5 have all been early morning running which is slower. Aiming for about 50 this week and then 2 harder weeks before a week off.

Kier – excellent millage: 88 in a week sound very daunting- was that all off singles? Nice mid week 16

Mennania – I hope the easing in is going well

Moof – we’re on very similar tracks then, I’m following P+D  55-70, but do alter it a bit, I generally do the mid week MLR with 2 warm up, then 11@MP+30s, then 1 cool down, rather than the 20%/10%. I’m also aiming for more longer runs, hoping to get 10+ 20 milers in (have done 7 so far), I also try to do the long MP days at a half marathon, since it’s that much easier to do the session with a number pinned on.  I find the threshold sessions very tough to do though, sometimes just settle for HMP or even MP.

Good work on the early morning 15 miler!

Literatin – congrats on the new PB, and county medal!

Minni – well done on the PB and the win

GM – I wouldn’t know where to look for a handicapped race- are they done through clubs?

Poacher – enjoy taper time, it must have been nice to see reindeer- it’s always the highlight of my run if I see a deer, one ran about 5m in front of me the other morning.

SJ – off road hilly miles are the best kind of miles, that looks like a good event too.

OO – hope that your hip is OK

Gul – excellent 800s, definitely seems like your HM PB needs revising.

Joolska – good paced run.

Fraser – good millage, are you aiming for an autumn marathon?

Bike It – well done on the strength test, and well done to Bike It jr!

8 miles of intervals at the park this morning, fast down one side, slow along the next, fast up the third and slow along the fourth and repeat. Don’t look at times or speeds or anything, they’re more like structured fartlek training.

JD3
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.