Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

29,001 to 29,020 of 35,663 messages
12/08/2013 at 17:05

Those trophies are much bigger than mine too Poacher given I dont have any. Nice running to bag them.

Lit/Speedy - When is the ladies slapdown and is it a straight forward winner takes all thingy or are ther perms?

Out for a 4 or 5 miler test later. I am now at least a belt notch up on where I was a few short weeks back

12/08/2013 at 17:21

Mennania, it is a battle to the death.

Not really, it is a four-race league and we are currently joint first with one race to go, so fighting it out for first and second place, basically. Much more exciting than the men's race, where the leader can just win by turning up. Though I notice that there are no rules covering what happens if the bloke in 3rd beats the bloke in 2nd by one place.

12/08/2013 at 21:24

Just thinking Amy hasn't been back. I hope she's writing her training plan.

12/08/2013 at 21:34

Oooh, nice trophies Poacher!

Lit - it goes on countback. Whichever of them finished higher than the other in more races take it. Of course that worked fine when there were 5 races, it might not work so well with 4... 

Niggle is improving but I was taking no chances and didn't run today. I managed 30 mins on the elliptical before I died of boredom. 

12/08/2013 at 21:35

That's what I meant - they'd end up with 2 races each... I didn't run today either because of the 'no running two days before a race' rule that only exists in my head. Glad the niggle is getting better, or the showdown would be a bit anticlimactic.

12/08/2013 at 21:59

Trophies indeed! Super stuff.

Well done to other recent racers too. Very impressive results all round.

Nothing happening here I'm afraid. Shin is still very sore and I am seriously doubting my autumn marathon attempt  

13/08/2013 at 02:53

Congrats to Poacher - I'm sure you once told me that size didn't matter!

Great performance from Christine last night - looking forward to the thread smackdown being as close. Have the photo finish officials been warned?

Finally for out for a run this morning - only 4 and a bit miles at 7:40 ish pace but I was sweating buckets when I got back. I'm hoping that it was the heat rather than general lack of fitness otherwise it's not looking good for the autumn.

13/08/2013 at 08:08

JD3 - sounds like things are looking up.
DS2 - good to hear from you again.
PMJ - it must be our age - just plodding for me during high mileage.
GM - a number of factors really. Living in the sticks means that there's a real lack of local races in the first place. Secondly, other commitments mean that they're nearly always on inconvenient days at inconvenient times. Also, I try to keep the impact on my family to a minimum. And then there's always cost to consider!
AR - 37:50 10k in the middle of a dreadmill session!!!
Lorenzo - I'm sure the heat must have a big impact.
Bad interval session this morning. 4 x 1M off 400m recoveries -  each one slower than the last 5:50, 5:54, 5:58, 6:04. Decided to take it easy for the rest of the week and then have a blast at sub 19 at the 100th King's Lynn parkrun on Saturday.

13/08/2013 at 09:02

Gul - Ah ok, I didn't realise you lived in the sticks but then my geographic knowledge of the UK is sketchy to say the least. Hey those reps are not bad, an average of 5:57.5mm pace is good work. What sort of pace were you aiming for? I do forget sometimes how fortunate I am, living in a small Island has it's advantages as a runner. Races are not expensive and not inconvenient to get to, no matter where they are. Are you planning on racing a 10k before your half? What's your 10k PB?

One more rest day for the knee today and then will do a tester 5k jog tomorrow. What do y'all reckon if it feels ok should I attempt a long run this w/end or should I wait another week. I am just conscious  missing long run and the weeks are flying by.

SG/Lit - Is your race today? And what distance is it??

13/08/2013 at 09:05

Gerard, it's tomorrow and it's some weird random distance between 5 and 6 miles. Closer to 6, I think, Speedy? Also, someone from my club recommended trail shoes, but surely not since it's been dry recently? Mine are 50g heavier than my other shoes and frankly I need all the help I can get so would rather have the lighter ones.

13/08/2013 at 09:10

Gerard you're lucky. I too live in a very rural location and my nearest parkrun is a 100 mile round trip!  I have a fair few fell races more locally, which is why I try and do those. 

13/08/2013 at 09:11

Nice work to the Minni, Jools, Speedy and Poacher for your PBs and placings.

Yes Minni - make those hills your friend. You will run slower but your work rate will be the same as a flat run.  Strength though is more vital to Comrades than speed.  For a Bill Rowan medal you 'only' need to average 10m/m. 

moof wrote (see)
Just waiting to get on the ferry for a week on the isle of wight, then off to Devon for another week. Two weeks in a caravan, we're proper chavs. And no I'm not towing one. 
Not sure how much training I'll get in as its a lot easier to go under the radar when you're working.

I'm picking up a caravan tonight and herby undertake the caravaners pledge:

I hereby promise to drive 20mph below the speed limit on all sections of road on which no-one can overtake and then speed up when vehicles behind would otherwise have overtaking opportunity.

13/08/2013 at 09:17

Bike it - are we talking mental or physical strength, or both?  

13/08/2013 at 09:27

Minni - I was meaning physical strength as this gives resiliance to the damage that gets accummulated on hills over such a distance.  It gives a better resilance to the fatigue so that you can keep going at the pace you want for longer.

13/08/2013 at 12:01

Lit - Sounds like it's going to be a challenging race in terms of distance, terrain and competition. Can you possibly do a reccy on the course to see if you really need trail shoes? I hate wearing clunky shoes.

Minni - Where in the name of Jeeze do you live then, I suppose the Fell races mean somewhere North? 100 miles to your nearest parkrun?? Gosh that is hard to believe. Are you really serious about the Comrades for 2015?

13/08/2013 at 12:07

Gul - still some good reps. Some easy miles and then hope you smash your parkrun time

Opted for a second day of treadmill due to the 5000m heats being on. Uneventful MLR 14m. Tried to hang on for 400m during Mo's heat at their race pace but I was kidding myself.

Half tempted to enter Burnham Beeches HM this weekend, however out all day Saturday with a 2.00am return may not be ideal preparation. It's an undulating course, but gives a chance for a course pb as it was one of the first HMs I did last year

13/08/2013 at 12:09

Gerard, not really as it's bloody miles away and I don't drive. My main competitor has done it before, I believe. 

13/08/2013 at 12:20

AR: Burnham Beeches is such a lovely course - well worth a day out!

After Saturday's glories I was struck by some sort of lurgy on Sunday and felt queasy all morning.  Dragged myself out mid-afternoon only to have to bail at 11M into 21M as the queasiness returned.  Got home and then spent the next 2-3 hours alternating sweating in a proverbial fashion with shivering uncontrollably.  I don't remember much of the athletics I watched!  Slept for the best part of 12 hours and felt a bit better yesterday, but funnily enough opted to take my rest day then.  Feel ok now, so fingers crossed I can train again.  But I'll be staying close to home just in case things go awry...

13/08/2013 at 13:09

Lit - Ah ok, that's a bit trickier then. Can you bring both and do a quick reccy beforehand and then decide or ask your main competitor? That's SG right??

AR - Your TM sessions sound like fun! Mo is looking good.

Jools - Hope whatever it is that got hold of you passes quickly.

13/08/2013 at 13:15

Well Gerard if you imagine where people generally call the North and I'm about 300 miles north of that!

Jools  take care of yourself.

Bike it - I was keen to test out that run on Sunday.  The big hill (grade 5 - 1.5 miles long) is 6 miles from my house but I can then do a loops of about 4 miles to incorporate it numerous times.  The road between home and there is hilly too.  Would that help with the strength?  (generally all my runs are hilly but I'm now looking out bigger hills that I would normally avoid).

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.