Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

29,121 to 29,140 of 37,190 messages
18/08/2013 at 19:37

Oooh, what are the strange and wonderful things?

18/08/2013 at 19:43

More strange than wonderful, to be honest.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/699204/gallery/img_4325_(640x480).jpg?width=350

The razors and tortelloni are the most random. And the four cartons of Ribena.

Edited: 18/08/2013 at 19:45
18/08/2013 at 19:45

Well done Lit, AR and Minni.

Lit: hills which are tough enough that the difference between walking and running pace is negligble must have dragged that average pace right down!

AR: that's a good pace at BB.  Seeing as my HM pace is currently only 6.23m/m, you'd have p!ss*d me off, too...

Minni: 2nd in your category sounds good to me.  And there's nothing wrong with being endurance based: my 10k pace is only 7s/mile faster than my HM pace!

18/08/2013 at 19:49

Nice PBs from Gul and Joolska. Always good for morale

Commiserations Speedy, but a rest mightrecharge the batteries after all your committed training and racing.

Minni, being sh!t is so not you. Not only do you beat all but one of your age group over short stuff, but you would absolutely whop their arses over anything long.

Literatin I toyed with the idea of Belper but it had "bl!!!y massive bast!!d hills" written all over it.  Brave of you to turn out and run so well. What was in the bag?

Edited: 18/08/2013 at 19:50
18/08/2013 at 19:51

Xpost - actually there's some tasty stuff there.   Shame about the lack of pot noodles though

18/08/2013 at 19:54

I bet there were pot noodles in the boys' bags.

18/08/2013 at 20:05

Is that a pair of fluffy socks? And dragon balm? What the heck is that? Looks like a fun prize though. More useful than a medal at least. 

18/08/2013 at 20:10

It is a special massage oil, Speedy. I think they want me to shave off all my body hair and then rub soothing massage balm all over myself.

18/08/2013 at 20:32
literatin wrote (see)

It is a special massage oil, Speedy. I think they want me to shave off all my body hair and then rub soothing massage balm all over myself.

Is there a waiting list to receive a 'special massage'? 

18/08/2013 at 21:13
Well done on the 2nd place Minni, I enjoyed your short race summary.

Decent mara pace effort Also-ran, looking in great shape for Abo. Are you running the maidenhead half? I signed up for it last week, so when you go running past save the chin wagging till the end of the race.

Nice winning bag Lit.

Today I have mostly been making sandcastles.
18/08/2013 at 22:31

Thinking of Abingdon, my autumn mara plans look to be kaput so I may have an Abo place on offer (they accept transfers). If anyone's interested do say.

19/08/2013 at 06:15

Moof - it's a long time since I've been in that area - sleeping on the floor in a church hall if I remember correctly! Nice hill work.
Barry - good HM at Wokingham - what's you target for Berlin?
Jools - good LSR to round off a great week.
Speedy - really sorry to hear your injury woes. Hope you can do a bit of cross-training in the meantime.
Minni - well done on the 5k.
AR - cracking HM.
literatin - congrats on the 3rd place - sounds like a tough race. Strange goody bag.
No sign of problems with glutes since Saturday morning, so did 3 easy miles this morning.

19/08/2013 at 07:22

Great running girls. And good news on the glutes Gul.

19/08/2013 at 10:20

moof, alsoran, I was out yesterday on the bike with #4 and saw a lot of signs for road closures for the Maidenhead Half and even though there is a big chunk that runs flat alongside the river, there are also a few reasonable inclines up away from the flood plains and towards Cookham Rise etc.

19/08/2013 at 11:44

Great running and well done on the smackdown ladies. Gul and Jools PBs also worth a particular mention. Chatting during a 1.23 half whilst others around are coughing up a lung is just not british AR, but quite fun if you can manage it I am sure. Unlucky on the dns Poacher .

I am going to do pilates or power yoga or summat as everytime I go for a run something else niggles me and I reckon its down to poor flexibility and a weak core. I cant even get my leg on a table at 90 degrees without falling backwards. Is either preferable to the other?

19/08/2013 at 11:48

Some nice performances there from Minni, Gul,  AR, Lit, Jools and any others who I have missed!

Lit - That was indeed an unusual goody bag with some useful bits and bobs!

No running for me this w/end as I seem to be only able to mange Usain Bolt distance without the speed. Tried heading out for a 10k run Sat am and only made it to 200m and the knee gave up the ghost. Not a good scenario at all and hopped the 200m back home. I have also been a bit concerned about my achilles for the past few weeks as I noted that when out for a run recently I felt this sharpish pain in that area. Didn't think anything of it as I thought it might be my new trainers but it turns it that it's not and I can feel it most of the time now. It seems I am rapidly becoming broken and then some more. More rest for me I think and hoping that neither injuries are as serious as I suspect. On a brigher note, I went for a lovely swim in the ocean y'day and caught some nice waves too. Didn't seem to bother the knee at all.

19/08/2013 at 12:16
literatin wrote (see)

Also-ran, if I am ever fast enough to run a HM at 6:24 pace, I will be pissed off if anyone starts chatting.

As Menna said - is is very unbritish. I am blaming it on a few days of sleep deprivation transforming me from introvert to babbling extrovert.

Well done at Belper - I can't quite make out what the square thing at the back is from your goody bag (next to the insoles). Please put me out my misery.

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

moof, alsoran, I was out yesterday on the bike with #4 and saw a lot of signs for road closures for the Maidenhead Half and even though there is a big chunk that runs flat alongside the river, there are also a few reasonable inclines up away from the flood plains and towards Cookham Rise etc.

It is not too bad as it goes - there is a small speed bump (Cookham to Maidenhead road as you say)  and compared to Wokingham with the motorway bridges I would class it as a slightly quicker course. I have last years garmin plot:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/223265262

I have Robin Hood half marathon for September, and will look to use Maidenhead as part of a long run unless the geese have migrated

Edited: 19/08/2013 at 12:16
19/08/2013 at 15:30

Great running from Jools and Gul. Loved the chicks' smack down reports and photos. 

Cracking prize for Lit - your challenge is to make a 3 course meal using all the food ingredients and if you dare, you can invite Keir round to share it!

Managed my second run of the holiday this morning - a staggering 5 miles, but even at 6.30 it was bliddy hot. Had to throw myself in the river afterwards to cool down so not all bad! 

I have taken part in my first ever meditation session although I suspect that thinking about training schedules instead of emptying my mind  was not the proper way to go about it. 

JD3
19/08/2013 at 15:46

AR – good running at BB, it was a much better day for it than last year. Looking in excellent form if you’re pulling out chatty 1.22’s on a lumpy course two days after a 20 miler. I’m also going to be at Maidenhead, though I think that’ll be a PB attempt for me.

CC2 – hope that the calf/shin is heeling well

CC2/ Lit – nice race reports, is there going to be a similar head to head when cross country comes around? Very impressive medal collections too.

SJ – It’s not really spring but I was thinking about the Henley one in Sept 2014, would be very interested to hear Blisters’ review of it. Does it seem reasonable to do that early Sept and look for a fast marathon at Abingdon 5/6 weeks later? Seems a bit too soon maybe. If I’m only going to do one then am tempted to look at the Ironman Wales, not sure. Hope your daughter’s tri went well.

TR / SJ – between you you have identified the flaws in my plan. a) My swimming is awful, more like frantic drowning postponement, there’s absolutely no way I could swim the distance at the moment. Not really cycled at all in the last 10 years either. b) I’m not sure what my OH thinks of the idea, her mouth says yes, but her eyes seem to disagree, and she likes cycling so I might be treading on her turf a bit.

The real reason I want to do an Ironman is (and I say this very quietly so as not to offend the running forum) I’m a bit bored of running. I only really have one aim, to get a sub 3 marathon, and thought this might be a good way to have a new challenge and keep the fitness up without worrying too much about times , and more about just finishing.

Gul –nice new PB, sorry the rounding went against you, but next time you can get a PB and a sub 19!

Kier – nice parkrunning too

Jools – good PBing! Good training is paying off, hopefully the pattern continues through marathon season.

Moof – hope holiday going well

Minni – good prizewinning, can’t be shit and a prizewinner

Lit – that is a weird prize, but well done winning it.

Like AR I did Burnham Beeches as a MP session yesterday. With the plan of running 1.29 at MP HR. I did a mile warm up where my legs felt awful, s wasn’t that hopeful. I had run a 1.42 20%/10% half late on Friday and I guess that was sitting in my legs.

Set off and felt ropey, but after about 4/5 miles my legs seems to warm up to the day. Felt absolutely fine in the lungs, but legs were never on top form. In the end missed my target by a couple of mins, but HR was 4bpm lower than what it was for Abingdon marathon last year, so that was pleasing. Mile cool down for 60 in the week.

Edited: 19/08/2013 at 15:48
JD3
TR
19/08/2013 at 15:54

JD3 - good news on the HR y'day then. I do a few 1/2s a year on deliberately tired legs too, but seem to be getiing used to it now. The training variation is the good bit of Tri, I decided to have a go as I was a panicky swimmer and didnt have a road bike, the challenge to get better from being weak is different to the challenge of improving already above average running, but it can be rewarding. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.