Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

29,701 to 29,720 of 37,375 messages
11/09/2013 at 19:23

Ant, I just use the GPS as a speed/distance monitor and never download anything so its a bit over specified. It's useful to have long battery life and the ability to customise the screen (310 can show up to 4 windows like the 305). I dont get the virtual opponent in the 310, the 305 version was much simpler. If replacing I'd be temped by a simpler rcheaper version, if the battery life were up to scratch.

11/09/2013 at 19:50

So I just dropped the 305 into a jiffy bag and sent it off to Garmin. For £58.80 they will repair the battery: what they say is "We usually send you a replacement, not your original device." so basically a new unit.  I also saw the 310XT at £159 on amazon (interestingly the same unit without the HRM is £10 more) and it does have a longer battery life and longer battery life expectancy (the 305 has 3 years claimed and the 310 4.5 years) but I have a couple of cradles for the 305 (charge at home and work) and it works for me so there was no real attracttion of the 310 XT as 3 hours is plenty long enough to be out running: after 3 hours you need to be in Chandos.

11/09/2013 at 19:55

Bridges handicap at lunchtime. 5 miles jog out and another 5 miles back. 2.3 miles race in the middle in 13:49 (splits 5:58, 5:57 and 5:52 for the bits at the end) so getting faster all the way. Started out with 15 seconds lead on the guy behind me and he closed that very quickly but didn't pass so I was pushing all the way with him just behind. He passed in the last 400 or so but not conclusively so I took him back for the fun of it.

Seem to have signed up for a half marathon at the end of September so that makes 6 races (10,000 track, 2 handicaps, 3,000 track, 10k and HM) and a couple of parkruns for the month so you can see I am good at giving advice and not taking it.

11/09/2013 at 20:03
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

after 3 hours you need to be in Chandos.

Like the quote, but surely if you are posting that here it should read 3 hrs 15 mins. Nice lunchtime win BTW.

New job with leadership responsibilities has kicked in and the work load is now officially impacting on my running. Only managed 5m rather than 16m today. Always knew this would be the case in Sept with Ofsted approaching, which is why I stacked in the miles over summer. Ho hum.

11/09/2013 at 20:18

PMJ/Poacher - I've already had a replacement, and I just think maybe it's time to move on. I haven't really had any battery issues; the only thing that rang the alarm bells was that the other day I noticed the display flashing from one screen to the next and back again. Admittedly this hasn't happened since but it's not a great sign, is it? Also, talking of alarm bells, the microphone on the unit stopped working ages ago...

What I suppose really attracts me to the 310xt is the wireless USB connector - called ANT+... 

11/09/2013 at 21:03

I've had three of those reconditioned 305 from Garmin, they never seem to last very long. When the current one breaks (and it will!) I'll get the one you can use in water, just in case Blisters and Slokeys IM race reports start to sound like fun.

14 miles this morning followed by a 4 mile easy run this evening which was harder than the MLR.

Blisters    pirate
11/09/2013 at 21:10

Keep this advice on the Garmins coming please, I'm listening carefully.

My 305 lost its beeps first, probably due to running in the rain, with the device inside the coat sleeve. I won't make that mistake again. No more running in the rain.

I've managed to keep the battery life going for about 5 years I think. I charge it, then take it off the cradle. Leaving it on will trash the battery life.

I also like Garmin's after sales service and support. You won't get that from many companies.

11/09/2013 at 21:14

Well done Blisters- I'd like to try one of those one day.

Regarding Garmins my 305 has just died. I have a 310 too. The only feature that drives me mad is how quickly it goes into battery save mode and loses signal.

Quiet week here, Just a skip with my poles to keep the legs moving. Couple of days in Geneva looking for an apartment for October- think I may have one in a place called Nyon- very nice.

Edited: 11/09/2013 at 21:16
12/09/2013 at 07:39

Lorenzo - Hope the anniversary went well otherwise! Better luck next time.
Bike It - sorry to hear your news. Hope the cross-training keeps your fitness levels up.
BOTF - good Kenyans - hope the asthma clears up as your fitness increases.
PMJ - tidy handicap race - looking good.
Keir - hope you can fit in the running around the workload.
Moof - good double.
OO - happy apartment hunting.
11 miles with 2 x 3M tempo for me this morning. 3 mile warm-up 8:44, 8:10, 7:54; 3M tempo 6:41, 6:29, 6:33; 1M easy 8:02; 3M tempo 6:40, 6:26, 6:24; 1M warm-down 8:02.

12/09/2013 at 08:37

Garmins -  I use the 310XT.  Mainly because it is waterproof and ideal if you live on these islands as well as having a claimed battery life of 20 hours meaning you only need to charge it one a week as well as it lasting for ultra events if that your bag.  I had a software problem where all events got recorded as the current date and a certain very long run could not be saved - master reset was advised by Garmin

910XT is the same function and battery spec as the 310XT except that it can accurately track distance in the water - so it is really oriented to triathalon.  Not worth the extra cash unless your heavily into tri IMHO

Nice tempo running Gul - probably a bit easier/faster now its got cooler

12/09/2013 at 14:05

You can get a 910xt for about 250 if you shop around - it even tracks swim distance in an indoor pool and measures stroke rate / length etc !! Coolio.

Blisters, well done sir! I noticed that you managed to claim some places in the transitions despite dawdling yourself You should also be ashamed of yourself for actually stopping to pee! C'mon man that will have cost you 5-10minutes!! Roll and relax, roll and relax, aaaahh. then peddle.  Proud of you fella, I'll wait with interest to find out which event you do next (BikeIt might be tri ready by then too with all of that x-training)

very lazy week here, hip still tight and up to my eyeballs in work stuff - hopefully get in the pool tomorrow and have a gentle run too

12/09/2013 at 14:11

Nice runs there Gul, looks good for the upcoming half.

Forgot to mention that there were a lot of people round yesterday due to the World Tri on London. I thought Wednesday was early for a Sunday race but it seems there is a full week of races with different distances etc. Tomorrow lunchtime is listed as
Friday 13 September Elite Athlete Swim Familiarisation     12:30-13:30
so I may go down to the Serpentine at lunchtime to see a few of the elites in the water. Guess they all look the same underwater wearing a hat so I will certainly claim to have seen all the famous ones: there is one called Brownlee, and another called Brownlee, and then it gets hazy.

12/09/2013 at 14:54

SlokeyJoe wrote (see)

BikeIt might be tri ready by then too with all of that x-training

Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Bike It - Take the doc's advice, and apart from spinning and weights, learn to love that pool!

I've keep a pair of speedos and googles in my desk at the office for about 5 years just ready for this day. .  My swimming has one unfortunate drawback that I swallow air and I'm ready to burst after 800m.

30 minutes spinning, 40 minutes weights rounded off with 2x400m interval rowing with 200m recovery this lunchtime.

12/09/2013 at 14:56

At least there's no danger of you sinking!

12/09/2013 at 17:35

Your swimming sounds about as good as mine, BikeIt...

12/09/2013 at 20:44

Triathlon is so unfair, the events are in the wrong order. How can super fit running legends like us lot shine when the chances are that our hopeless technique and rubbish upper body physique will cause us to drown on the first stage? (Apart from Blisters, SJ and others.) Before we can "open our legs wide, and show our class"**

After last weekend's mara, I propose a new tri format1) run (2) walk rather slowly  (3) swear a lot, and say "never again"

(**Alberto Juantorena fans will understand)

12/09/2013 at 21:57

But Poacher, that sounds just like a normal marathon...

MsE
12/09/2013 at 22:04

Blisters - you are a complete stud.  Well done. 

On another note, can you all keep a secret?  Because I may be coming home next summer time.  Obviously not to be discussed in public but am very excited. 

12/09/2013 at 22:35

Err, but this is rather, err, public. Come back in time for late April. Chandos needs your smiling presence.

Ant. Fair point 

Blisters    pirate
12/09/2013 at 23:53
MsE wrote (see)

Blisters - you are a complete stud. 

Edited: 12/09/2013 at 23:54
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.