Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

30,201 to 30,220 of 37,446 messages
04/10/2013 at 20:37

Errr, I didn't actually ask him anything about running. 

04/10/2013 at 20:51

Did you ask about Dusty??????

04/10/2013 at 20:51

Abbers - I'm up in Asturias, which is one of the wettest places in Europe, and coolest in Spain. Having said that, this last week has been unbearable insomuch as it's been really humid (even more than usual) and temperaturas are unusually high, 22-25ºC. The best thing you can do in such circumstances, actually, is go out running, because then at least you've got an excuse for sweating the b***ery out of all your clothing! 

Lorenzo - Ah, yes, Nonsuch Park! I was there for a walk and a cheeky picnin with my Mum only 10 days ago!

Gerard - Glad you're looking forward to Sunday - a good night's night sleep tonight, and you're sorted!  With the pressure off, you may well pleasantly surprise yourself.

Slokey - I've listened several times to Talk Ultra, and it has always struck me how practically all of those featured on the show, whether (co-)hosts or interviewees, come across as really friendly, easy-going people, so it comes as no surprise that Scott Jurek should be such a nice bloke. Sounds like a day to remember.

04/10/2013 at 20:55

*picnic*, obviously...

Actually, Imeant to ask Blisters and the rest of you, have you had any experience of NB890 in its various guises (V2, V3)? Saw it in a shop today and it looks and feels great. Didn't have time to try it on, though...

04/10/2013 at 20:56

Errr, no, forgot to ask about Dusty. 

04/10/2013 at 21:00

interestingly, he only arrived in the country today at 5am at Heathrow. Jumped on a train up to the Lakes, then straight out onto the trails with us.

one of the other runners travelled up from Norwich overnight, arriving at 4am and napped in his car. He'll be driving back right now. Bonkers. Makes my 40 minute drive look a bit tame.

04/10/2013 at 21:07

GM- I forgot you had a marathon this weekend, must feel great getting to the start line after the month you've had. No pressure on time either, you'll end up running a stormer.

I have a pair of DS Racers which I occasionally use for speed work but the problem I have with them is they seem very loud when I run in them, you can hear me coming from a mile off......slap, slap, slap, slap! (That's the sound my trainers hitting the pavement btw) Must be me flat feet.

Anyway, 8 miles tonight including 5 x 1200 with 2 min recoveries. Min mile paces came out as 5.48, 5.47, 5.46, 5.52 (uphill) & 5.43. Pretty pleased with that as they were fairly consistent.

Hard to believe that Kipsangs splits were a minute a mile quicker than that at Berlin last week. Just incredible.

04/10/2013 at 21:18

SJ - I think he's at the vegfest in London the next couple of days. 

04/10/2013 at 21:22

Nice miles going in, odd how soem are comign upo for an autumn race and others are looking ahead to spring. I have done 53 in the last 6 days and about 9 tomorrow will see me to 62 in 7 days so getting back into the swing of it.

Best part of 14 at lunchtime. Sometimes it helps to stand back and look as these sort of threads do not represent reality very well. I went through 13.1 today in 1:37 and that would have put me in the top 200 in the race I did on Sunday (out of almost 4000 so top 5%).

04/10/2013 at 21:41

Ultrarunners are a pretty relaxed bunch but the competition at the pointy end is still very keen.  I find ultras a big change from mara.

Ultra no 10 in the morning, although only a short one that SJ wouldn't get out of bed for.  Probablly shouldn't be sitting here watching Argo with a glass of the red stuff 

04/10/2013 at 21:47

Good luck to poacher and GM this weekend. 

My 10 miles ended up at 7:30 ish pace tonight and felt good. I think I might give up racing and just train. 

04/10/2013 at 21:53

I'm watching that too Poacher, as my good lady has gone out. There are four cans of beer in the fridge, but I'm trying to be good till after Abo as shifting a couple of pounds wouldn't be a bad idea. It's very tough though! Training is the easy bit.

04/10/2013 at 21:55

Where's the edit gone.

Nice running Minni.

MsE
04/10/2013 at 21:56

Speaking of ultrarunners, I met Anton Krupicka last night.  He was showing his short film In The High Country in San Francisco.  Afterwards we had a chat and I was able to ask the important following questions:

MsE: "I saw some dry needling going on in your film, are you susceptible to injuries and what is your favourite way of treating them?"

Anton (albeit fully clothed): "I like to see the dude for some acupuncture a couple times a week when injured and have a sports massage.  When I am not injured, I kinda like to see them for a tune up maybe once a month."

MsE (with straight face as only a mother can have when discussing bodily functions): "And what do you do when you need a crap out there? Obviously you don't want to be littering with wipes and such..."

Anton: I find sticks surprisingly good to wipe with and afterwards, I kinda, you know, dig a hole for it and leave it there...

So there you have it.  Get some acupuncture, the odd sports massage and crap in the woods wiping your bum wiht sticks.  Anton said so. 

MsE
04/10/2013 at 21:57

Hmm, cannot edit to include speech marks.  

04/10/2013 at 22:01

Sticks??? How does that work then?!!! 

MsE
04/10/2013 at 22:04

WARNING *LOOK AWAY IF EASILY OFFENDED*

Perhaps a stick is better than a leaf (the obvious choice) to perform a clean wipe between the cheeks, Minni?  Just throwing it out there but not really sure.

04/10/2013 at 22:25

2 things:

Would it not be better to dig the hole first and 'drop' the package straight into it?  Otherwise you'll then have to use said stick to push it in.

And, I'm still not convinced with the stick. Like, you know, erm, how do you know its, like, clean...? 

(quickly registering that we won't be able to dig a hole on the tarmac road in SA.... )

04/10/2013 at 23:11

Just when my stomach is settled, the thread is plunged back down the toilet.

Good luck GM and Abbers with the races this weekend. 

12 today at a relaxed pace. Marathon recovery complete on my left side. Right quad, hamstring, glute etc still feeling a bit weary. One day I will sort my imbalance out.

Blisters    pirate
05/10/2013 at 00:52

Oops, it looks like we can get smileys.

Err, as for crapping in the outdoors, Hoose used to be the major league exponent, or just that he started more threads about it. To be honest I have to admit that it's a rather regular experience for me. Even on the 6 miler.

Personally, sticks are rather a silly idea, and remind me of the joke about the constipated Engineer (who worked it out with a pencil).
The preferred option is long grass, folded double or quadruple. Dock leaves are acceptable, but suceptible to weakness under mildly excessive finger pressure. Eeeurgh.

Training.
Went for open water swim. Plan was 4 laps. Managed 2. There was this pressure emanating from the midrif, extending into the core, and descending into the lower regions. I got out and hobbled across to where the official loos were. After losing some timber I didn't feel like continuing. Life huh. The difference between open water swimming and running is the wetsuit.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.