Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

30,401 to 30,420 of 37,665 messages
12/10/2013 at 17:20

Not the best of runs for me today at the national relays. Not sure if it was due to having to have breakfast about 4 and a half hours before my run (leg 4) due to travelling, or the mini drama of our leg 1 runner finishing while having an asthma attack (I spotted she was in trouble as I was stood on the roadside cheering, legged it up to the finish funnel and whisked her (very slowly!) to the medical tent), or the many races I've run recently, or the fact that my first pump class in weeks on Monday night absolutely battered me, or that being on last leg it felt more like a time trial than a real race. Maybe a combination of all of those. Anyway, my legs felt weak and pathetic and I didn't have my race head on at all. I didn't even manage 10k pace and the race is only 4.315km. Ah well, move on.

Nice parkrun PMJ. A win on your 50th outing

MsE, so glad to hear you're running again and injury free. You've been so patient. 

12/10/2013 at 17:29
12/10/2013 at 18:29

Literatin - hope the ankle is better soon.
MsE - great news. Take it steady now.
OO - hope things get easier at work.Enjoy the weekend.
Ant - good luck for tomorrow.
PMJ - cracking parkrun.
Speedy - sorry you had a bad day at the office.
Thanks for all the best wishes. Nice relaxing day. Lie-in till 10 (except to put 2 extra loads of washing on and make lots of breakfast), then lunch out to celebrate father-in-law's birhday. Going to have a hot bath and go to bed fairly early. Sad to say that the weather forecast has changed for the worse. Heavy rain and a bit breezy too. Even the best-laid plans can't allow for somethings... but I think I'll be okay if I can keep warm and dry before the start.

12/10/2013 at 19:12
Best of luck Gul!

Well done on the park run win PMJ.

Great park running from you too OO, especially after the long commute.

Just 5 easy miles today. Took my son swimming this afternoon which has wiped me out. Glad I'm not racing tomorrow.
12/10/2013 at 19:39

Gul - Go well tomorrow!

Watching Kona live, jersey pro Dan Halksworth is 8th I think.

12/10/2013 at 19:51

Well done PMJ on a great Parkrun victory - that must feel fantastic.

MsE - Really happy for you. Steady as she goes.

12/10/2013 at 20:23

PMJ - Great result today, chuffed for you and that's a very decent time!

OO - Great run too after what sounded like a stressful week. Nice to de-stress & smash a 5k hey?

SG - Your entitled to have an off day every now and again, but as you said, look forward!

8k for me tomorrow and running with a friend who is getting back to running so will be a run as opposed to a race. Been lazy this week after Sunday and will be my 1st run.

12/10/2013 at 20:41

Speedy, ? What happened there? Are you due a cut back week?

Nice parkrunning OO and PMJ (great win sir!!)

good luck tomorrow Ant!

Frighteningly accurate vid link:  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBw39uCT4Q&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvuBw39uCT4Q

My mrs just kept saying "it's you, it's you!" about both protagonists. Oh dear. 

2:20 off road run up and down 3 big hills today. Lovely.

12/10/2013 at 20:52

Good luck to Ant too!!

SJ - Hilarious!

12/10/2013 at 23:11

I just love that video. Worth a look at this one as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ItnxJLAOeY 

Pleased with my performance at the Surrey Vets XC County Champs today - no idea of the time as my Garmin has finally packed in so ran to feel and found it rather liberating. Got the pacing better this week so although it was tough on a couple of uphill stretches on the second lap I had enough at the end to win the 4 way smackdown with 3 other members of my running club, one of whom had beaten me over a similar distance last weeked.

Opted to give the spikes a debut - probably wasn't necessary as the ground wasn't that muddy and there were some stretches of road as well, but good to see how they felt.

Awating the individual and team results - should be out tomorrow morning, so keen to see how we got on as the overall turnout from the club was good.

Good set of spectators - here's one of the ones who stayed around until the bitter end!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/226395/gallery/photo.jpg?width=350

Ant - que tengas suerte!!!!

Gul - hope you enjoyed the lie in. All the best and fingers crossed that the weather conditions are favourable.

MsE - great news that you're back running. Any news on your return to these shores?

13/10/2013 at 06:01

Lorenzo - well done on the cross country. That spectator is probably a decent XC runner himself!
Not sure when I'll be on-line next, but I'll try and give a quick report later this evening.

13/10/2013 at 09:06

MsE - Great news.

Birch - Not too much of an effort when I'd made the decision to give running some serious effort, missed the pool sessions down the pub on a Friday after work but did n't miss the hangovers, you can tell you're getting old when you get 2 day hangovers  Started having the odd pint during family pub meals, which I still limit to and the odd glass of red on a Saturday night.

PMJ - Congrats on the win.

Was tempted to run the 5 miler linked to the Swindon HM this morning but after a short test run calf not happy so spectating/supporting OH it is. Looks decent running conditions.

13/10/2013 at 10:22

Nice XC running and photo Lorenzo. V funny video too. Are we all so predictable?

Stayed up 'til 2am watching Kona and drinking beer last night (I obviously don't have the same will power as Barry!) - day off today.....

go Gul, and Ant!!

anyone else racing?

13/10/2013 at 10:31

Go well Gul and Ant.

I am out through the door for Flintshire 10k as we speak, Not a PB course as it is basically up and down a hill but a good step on the rehabilitation road.

13/10/2013 at 10:33

Good luck to Gul and Ant who are already no doubt well into their races.

Well dond on your First Finisher PMJ (can we say well raced in a parkrun context).

Lorenzo, I hope you dazzled them all with the new spikes.

A very pathetic 21 miles today. Met the mileage target, but way off the pacing. My ability to put some pace into the run was being hampered by tight hamstrings and a CNBA attitude. Time to recover and get back into some short, sharp stuff next week.

13/10/2013 at 10:36

Good luck Menna. 

13/10/2013 at 12:39

Sorry to say I let the side, and myself, down today and DNFed for the first time in 10 years of running/racing. No excuses, I just was having a horrible time out there. Looking at the stats now, I was actually going fine, it was all psychological.

The weather was perfect and I set off with the idea of going with a 4:10/km (6:42mm) pace and holding on as long as possible. This I did and went through 5k in 20:37 no problem, and then the demons set in. I cannot explain it, I just could not face two laps of this torture and began to think of pulling out after the first lap. I did think of the horrible recriminations I'd put myself through afterwards and the posible longer-term consequences of DNFing, but after going through 10k in 41:28 (still going to plan) I got to 11km and just stopped.

Who knows what was going on in my head - physically I was fine and holding the pace with no real problems. The suspect knee was giving me no gip, so it was all in the head. Maybe the lack of longer running over the summer is to blame. In  sghort i just did not enjoy myself at all.

I feel very ashamed of myself. What to do now? Do I enter next week's 10k and blast it or knuckle down to more miles over October and November and then re-surface for a couple of races in December?

13/10/2013 at 13:33

Ant - Brutally honest account of a tough day, try not to beat yourself up too much though as it's only running afterall and if your head wasn't right then sometimes you are powerless to do anything about it. You need a bit of time to get over it that's all and the next time you race and run well it will be forgotten about!

Look on the positive side of things 1. You are not benched! 2. You ran 10k in 41:28!! that's quick and 3. There will be many races in which you can redeem yourself!!! That's the great thing about racing 10k's & half's there's always another one round the corner!

Totally your choice about when to race next but if it was me and I was fit, I would run the 10k and try smash it! I am sure other fredders will be able to give you more sensible advice but I am a bit of a masochist me!

13/10/2013 at 13:57

Ant - very odd. You say that you that there no problems physically but you also said "you couldn't face two laps of torture". Any idea why it felt torturous?

As GM says, it might be simply how you felt on the day and you'll smash things next weekend, but was there anything else (non-running) that you were thinking about and need to sort out beforehand?

Definitely no need to feel ashamed though - everyone's had a bad day at some point in time!

Hoping Gul enjoyed the rain in Peterborough.

13/10/2013 at 14:08

Hi guys. Flying visit just to say I'm absolutely chuffed to bits with an unofficial time of 1:26:33. Report will follow later hopefully.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.