Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

30,401 to 30,420 of 37,382 messages
10/10/2013 at 06:39

Jools - I find I can usually get my legs going before my brain!
Abbers - recovering ok?
Moof - cracking session. Is Abo this weekend?
PMJ - certainly not an ideal way of doing your LSR every week.
Poacher - get well soon.
GM - it's been a long, long wait, so I can't believe that race day  is only 3 days away now. Final race pace session today d&d (see below), recovery run tomorrow and rest on Saturday, so hoping for a good night's sleep on Friday night for a change, because I'm going to be too excited to sleep much on Saturday!
6 miles with 8 x 200m @ race pace which is around 50s per rep. Did 49, 47, 48, 48, 48, 47, 47, 48.

10/10/2013 at 08:27

I'm another 310XT user who had to do a hard reset.  This was when all runs got stored under 'yesterday' as the date and I could not download them. I've always had a lot of troubles synchng my Garmin too - persisance pays

Nice sessions Moof - I'm confident on your behalf that goal A or B happen.  You've trained very well and seem to be quite fresh already.

Likewise Gul - you've prepared dilligently and are going well so I too expect you to be able to capitalise on all your excellent preparation come Sunday.

A strange thing happend yesterday - I went running. 10x1 minute run and 1 minute walk.  I ran in the local park for a bit of extra cushioning.  All was comfortable, my form was good and hopefully I could keep going without difficulty.  Thanks for all the good wishes you have given me on that. 

10/10/2013 at 08:37

Moof and Gul - you've done all the hard work - now for the enjoyable bit. Be extra careful with steps, kerbs, etc, until you actually stand on that start line...

Bike It - Back running again - fantastic.

10/10/2013 at 09:55

BikeIt: excellent news: you're back running!  Hope the rehab continues to go well

Gul: nice final session.

10/10/2013 at 10:03
Gul- my race is not this week but next Sunday on the 20th. Are you feeling confident?

GM- with regards to a pacing strategy I think running at 6.50 pace doesn't leave much room for error and potential fade. I think running at 6.40 pace to get to halfway in about 87/88 mins which is about 6 mins slower than current HM seems a reasonable goal.
Plus 3 miles every 20 mins is easy for my brain to calculate. That's the theory, just hope I can persuade my legs and the weather to cooperate.

Good news bike it.
10/10/2013 at 10:05

Good final session Gul. Looking good for the weekend.

Unplanned 21 miler today. It wasn't pretty, infact it was a real slog. Ran it in my DS Trainers (first outing for them off the treadmill). I'm a bit unsure whether to try them in a marathon, or to stick with my normal cushions.

10/10/2013 at 10:17
Steady now Also-ran, you're the most sensible and cautious runner on here. Don't get all maverick now and throw caution to the wind.
Stick with the safe options.
10/10/2013 at 11:02

Looking good for Sunday, Gul (just checked back - I did Great East half mara on 13/5/1990) ! 
Don't get too comfy on that bench, Poacher . . . . .
Bike-It - encouraging - make sure you stick to the plan . . . .

8.5 steady here this a.m.

10/10/2013 at 11:15

Good sessions from Moof & Gul; showing good speed. Nothing silly now.

Excellent news from BI getting back to running.

"Unplanned 21 miler". An interesting concept AR!

Solid miles from Birch.

Recovering OK, thanks Gul. Legs were definitely worse for wear at the start of the week, but feeling more normal now. Have done a couple of slow 4 mile recoveries, going to get out for 6 or so at lunch, although nothing quicker than 8m/m.

10/10/2013 at 11:29

Moof - Strategy sounds good, not too risky, hope all goes to plan for you! 

Gul - Nice last session there, so your aim is sub 90 which is definitely achievable if your training is anything to go by. Will you factor in any time or will you try run an even pace?

Birch - Welcome back! I was still in school up to 1991! I cannot comprehend how you have run 54,000 miles? What age were you when you took up running and how many mara's have you completed?? Intrigued to know....

AR - Another LR done. What shoes do you normally wear for mara's? I ran in Saucony Ride 5 for my marathon last week and they were great. Light yet really well cushioned.

10/10/2013 at 11:57

Birch.. great too see you back, sorry to hear you've been through the mill lately.  I need some old codger support - the rest of the pipe & slippers brigade have disappeared from the threads I go on!  Funnily enough one of the youngsters at my club was asking what happens when you become an older runner.  My three main points were..

1: Speed goes to hell in a handbasket.
2: Recovery from a race/hard session takes much longer than in younger days.
3: You tend to talk about the times you used to run more than the times you currently run..

Anyway, keep up the good work & hope you win a few V60 prizes (I scraped a V55 1st in a recent half so life in the old dog yet!).  I'm joining Jools at Frankfurt in a couple of weeks so I'll try to keep the flag flying for the old duffers. 

10/10/2013 at 12:28

Hi everyone. I haven’t posted on the forum for months but have continued to lurk when I can. It’s great to see the usual suspects training and racing well with a few new posters too. Hi Abbers!

Life has been hectic for me recently but I’m proud to announce that my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby daughter recently. I’ve already bought a running buggy and look forward to Parkrun racing with Babybark once she’s old enough.

Despite being busy I’ve managed to keep training and racing hard. I’ve kept to a simple formula of racing a HM (8 since June) or running a 20+ miler every weekend for the last few months. I’ve also run one interval session mid week at 5k to 10k paces. The rest of the week I cram in as many miles as I can at an easy pace. I’m able to run to and from work every day so have been able to maintain high mileage.

I’m running the Dublin Marathon on 28th of October and just started tapering. Over the previous month I’ve run over 100 miles a week three times peaking last week with 107.5. My goal for Dublin is to run sub 2:54:45 and beat the first ever 26.2 mile marathon time set by Dorando Pietri in the 1908 Olympic s. Although, he was later disqualified for being assisted near the finish line. I’d love to know that if I’d been born 100 years earlier I could have won that race, been Olympic Champion and World record holder!

Anyway enough running talk, here’s a pic of Babybark 

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/539963/gallery/cute.jpg?width=350

10/10/2013 at 13:15
Congratulations Badbark! She looks a cutie. You've had a busy year, not sure how you managed to fit any 'cross training' in with all the miles you've been running.
100+ mile weeks is very dedicated, hope you hit your (other) target.
What times have you been running those HM in?
10/10/2013 at 14:11

GM, I have worn either Asics GT1170 or Kayanos to date in Half and Full marathons. I thought I was feeling more impact in my shins this morning. It could be because of less cushioning (certainly a lot less than the spongy Kayanos) , or possibly because I'm not designed to run at 4:30am

Good to hear from Badbark. Congratulation to you all. That is big mileage - good luck with Dublin

10/10/2013 at 14:56

GM, you recovering well after Sunday's efforts?

Badbark, congratulations on Babybark! Impressive weekly miles at the best of times, but even more so with a little one to occupy your time. Is she your first? Sounds like you're due a storming run in Dublin.

10/10/2013 at 14:56

AR - Big difference in shoe then. Who is designed to run at 4:30am? Gul maybe! Certainly not me!

Badbark - Good luck with Dublin, that's my home town and one day I will find myself legging it through the Phoenix park with thousands of runners like you are soon to be! Have you run it before?

10/10/2013 at 15:02

Abbers - Howzit? I feel absolutely normal in the legs now thanks, middle toe nail on left foot is the only sore part, quite annoying really as I can feel it coming away but it's not quite gone!

Badbark - Abbers just reminded me to congratulate you on the birth of your daughter, she is a cutie!

10/10/2013 at 16:06

Thanks, Wardi - I've kept an eye on your antics on the other thread, and you certainly seem to be in fine fettle at the moment - IIRC you had a dodgy time with injury layoff(s) a couple of years back? As I mentioned with Jools in mind the other day, I hope Frankfurt still has the red carpet and disco lights finish !! 
Gerard - I started running in 1986, so 54,000 isn't a lot per se (it averages around 37mpw). My first 25000 took 11 years, though and 2nd 25000 took 14 years. 
Completed 23 maras, with 2 DNF's & a DNS from 26 campaigns. Sunday's DNF was my 3rd, but didn't actually have a campaign preceding it !  

10/10/2013 at 16:17

Hell I feel old, I started running in 1982 or 1983 and did my first marathon in 1985. I certainly haven't got up to 54,000 yet.

10/10/2013 at 16:23

PMJ, just checking you are ok - "1982 or 1983" is not the sort of stat that we have come to expect from you - I was expecting the time and date

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.