Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

30,441 to 30,460 of 37,447 messages
13/10/2013 at 20:52

Just de-lurking to say a huge congrats to Gul. That is a fantastic time. 

13/10/2013 at 21:07

AR- 21 miles is still 21 miles.
Ant - sorry you had a bad day. I'm sure you'll come bouncingb back.
JD3 - good luck with the new job.
GM - well done in the 8k race.
Speedy - get well soon.
OO - sorry to hear about the rabbit. Horrible.
Mennania - cracking result - well done on the podium finish.
Minni - my training schedule is all here in the thread if you'd care to piece it together!
I'll now try and do a race report. Bear with...

13/10/2013 at 21:37

Great Eastern Run Race Report

Drove over to Peterborough in very heavy rain - had to take it easy to avoid aqua-planing. I was still trying to work out a plan for changing/warming-up/queueing at the start. I usually just jog down to the start from home in racing kit!
Made it safely to the car-park with loads of time to spare. Left the family in Cafe Nero and headed off to the start area. I checked with the baggage tent and there was no problem getting my bag back before the start. Headed off to the changing tent and discovered it was a rather small area with nothing other than grass inside. Managed to get changed without getting wet or pulling a muscle. Dropped my bag off and did a spot of warming-up. At the last possible minute I got my bag back and dropped off my jacket before making my way over to the start area.
By now the rain wasn't too bad so didn't get too cold waiting for the gun. Felt like a sardine in the pen. (No sign of RJ at the front. I'm guessing he didn't run. Has anyone heard from him lately?)
Couldn't believe I was about to race a HM - the last one was in March 2010. I could have almost wept for joy.
The race started and I was over the mat in about 15 secs, but then it got rather bunched up. So a bit of shuffling and then hopping around for the first few minutes. Spotted the family near Cafe Nero and gave them a high-five. The first mile marker popped up and a bit surprised to see 6:33 on the watch. I was expecting it to start with a 7.
The field was still a bit bunched up, but managed to start finding my rhythym. Second mile completed - time 6:47. I don't have a garmin, so going by the course markers. They were stuck on lampposts so told myself not to pay too much attention to the splits.
Feeling comfortable and the next few miles sped by - 6:32, 6:37, 6:37, 6:45.
A little bit faster than I had planned, but still feeling good so confidence was high. I was running in a small group now with 3 others and checked what sort of time they were aiming for. A bit shocked to hear 1:25/1:26. We passed the halfway point in 43:xx, I think. I was then even more surprised when I found myself pulling away from them, but I didn't feel I had speeded up. So go with the flow...
7th mile in 6:40. I then started imagining I was running home from Sandringham to give myself a visual idea of how far to go. The next few miles were a bit faster - 6:34, 6:28, 6:30 and 6:30.
Just 2 and a bit miles to go and I knew I was home and dry as long as I didn't blow up completely. The 12th mile was a bit slower 6:42, and I found myself struggling for the first time. I convinced myself that I was slowing down and had to start shouting at myself. Very embarrassing.
I knew I was very close to the finish, but it came upon me without much warning. Missed the final mile marker, but I could see the finish. And the time!!! I was so elated as I crossed the line. Final 1.1 miles in 7:10. So didn't slow down at all. My watch said 1:26:33.
Wonderful to see the family shortly afterwards and share the celebrations. The finish area etc... was a quagmire, so I skipped the changing area and just grabbed my bag.
Official time now in - 1:26:34 and 196th place overall.
It still hasn't really sunk in. Was that really me? All I can say is a huge great big enormous thank you to all you guys. I wouldn't have got anywhere near this without all your advice, encouragement and camaraderie.

13/10/2013 at 22:18

Brilliant Gul, just brilliant.  You have been very patient and trained really well and it all paid off on the day.   I'm so pleased for you.     Right, what next...?!!!

13/10/2013 at 22:26

Awesome Gul, simply awesome. 

13/10/2013 at 22:26
Brilliant effort Gul! You deserved that after the decent training you've been doing lately. Never in doubt really.
That will give you great confidence in having a stab at 3.15. Although let's not think about that yet, just bask in the glory of your success.

Ant- that's a tough day. I usually think 'stuff this for a game of soldiers' and could easily stop in the first few miles of a race, especially a half when it does feel way too uncomfortable in the early stages until you get in the groove.
Of course, I haven't stopped. No chance, but I have felt like it.

I know from previous experience over training can cause a fair bit of mental fatigue and since it wasn't your A race you can lack the fire in your belly you need to really push on.
If it's over training I'd give the 10k a miss as you'll only dig a hole but if it was just the CNBA fairies, pull your self together man and smash that 10k!!!

Great 10k efforts from you Mennania. Starting to get back to form.

12 miles for me tonight, no dramas apart from stepping/ slipping in dog sh*t!
That's the second time that has happened, the dirty b'stards.
13/10/2013 at 22:29

Thoroughly deserved result Gul, and a great race report. A little bit of shouting at yourself never hurt anyone

99.4 miles for the week. I am wondering whether I should pop out and do a quick 0.6 to tidy things up. Got my number and start for NY marathon today. I am just behind the pro males, so once again am guaranteed to go off way too fast.

Blisters    pirate
13/10/2013 at 22:47

Gul: cracking result
AvO: a tough day at the office
Also ran: Not doing the 0.6 shows maturity and confidence.
Moof: shit happens
er

moving on........

13/10/2013 at 22:51
Take it easy now AR, isn't that two 21 milers in the past 5 days? I don't want you picking up any niggles.
Pop out and nail that 0.6 but make sure it takes at least 5 minutest, then have a day off.
13/10/2013 at 23:18
All set for Abo, Blisters?

A question- has anyone bothered with carb depletion? And if so was it of any benefit and what did you eat up to the carb loading? (I have no problem with that bit.)
14/10/2013 at 02:09
Ah Gul, you really brought it home. Next stop - a comfortable sub 3.15 mara?
Nice speed from Menna too
Moof I have done accidental carb depletion at times due to the irregular lifestyle. Not convinced it works.
Ant - it happens, don't dwell on it. Perhaps DNF is just a sign that something bigger is wrong and should have been confronted before race day....eg overtraining, fatigue, lack of commitment. I'm still a bit unhappy about my one DNF at 100m, but it's a powerful incentive not do it again
14/10/2013 at 05:15

Moof - mind your step! Taper must be in full swing by now.
AR - can't believe you're slacking and stopping short of 100 miles.
I'm allowing myself a bit of a recovery week, then it's back to base-building for me. Aim to get up to around 64 miles a week ready for a crack at a spring marathon Just a slow jog to the supermarket and back for me this morning (once they're open).

14/10/2013 at 08:58

Gul, looks like it was a well run race. Splits look very even and that is hard with people heading off too fast and then others dying towards the end so sometimes you have to follow and other times pass or let pass and you seem to have done that well. I imagine that with the time under your belt now you can go on and do even better.

I assume there is some unfinished business with VLM from 2010 so is the current plan to do a spring 2014 with an eye to 3:15 which gives you GFA 2015? If it is, you need to make sure that you find a course where 3:15 is plausible and well populated: you don't want to end up doing a 26.2 solo time trial.

14/10/2013 at 09:32

That's an excellent performance Gul.  Well done on your great preparation and execution.

Ant - all you have done is confirm you are an elite runner - look at Patrick Macau - he stops all the time if he's not going to win

OO50 - I'm very sorry to hear about your family pet.  That's always very traumatic.

I've been ill from Friday through to Sunday with a virus that's kept me in bed all Friday and I've had lots of naps Saturady and Sunday.  So I've done absolutely no excercise.  Better now though

14/10/2013 at 09:59

Bit of a busy weekend for the thread...

PMJ, good parkrun.

Gul, astounding time! Very well run. What would you say is the biggest difference in your training to knock such a hole in your PB? Looking for a sub-90 and then going 20 secs/mile faster is a significant change of pace.

Ant, just a bad day at the office. Smack the 10k instead.

GM, nice controlled pacemaking duties there.

A pleasant jaunt at the XC for Lorenzo!

OO50, sorry to hear your news. Never easy to deal with.

Men, an understated V40 podium place, and a very quick downhill second half.

Nice 12 from Moof, despite inconsiderate dog owners.

So what's the target for New York, AR?

BI, recover well.

Just an easy 8 early doors on Sunday for me. Had forgotten how dark it is at that time of the morning in mid-October with no street lights. Didn't bother with the head torch, and subsequently had to stop a couple of times to allow for the startled ponies and deer to get out of my way... should know by now!

14/10/2013 at 10:26

Abbers - I always find it a bit disturbing when you are faced with a few sets of eyes in the the pitch black. Certainly a good wake up call.

"So what's the target for New York, AR?"

I am hoping to grab a sub 2:50 time. I have put in a fairly lengthy run of high mileage; much more than I have done before to see where it takes me. I have to say I haven't enjoyed it as it has become a bit of a chore, but I'm going to see it through to the end. My two big learning points so far is that I can't combine high weekly volume with speed work sessions, and if anyone so much I looks at me I pick up a virus or cold

14/10/2013 at 10:43

Bike-It  speedy recovery hopefully so you can resume the rehab / return to running. Keep your germs in Reading though.

14/10/2013 at 11:31

PMJ - Certainly, there is unfinished business with the marathon, but not necessarily London. However, it would be nice to do London again if only because of the chance to meet some of the lovely folks on this thread.
Bike It - sorry to hear about the virus. Hope you make a quick recovery.
Abbers - biggest difference has surely got to be the consistent training. Up until 2 years ago I was beset by injury. It finally made it into my thick skull that I need to be patient and sensible with the training.
AR - good luck with your sub 2:50 target. I can sympathise with the high volume / speed work not mixing. I try and periodise my training and cut right back on the mileage to focus on speedwork.
Found this less than flattering photo of the finish line on the GER website (I'm the one with the baseball cap and grey singlet in a rather strange pose):

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/340777/gallery/img_0355.jpg?width=350

14/10/2013 at 12:30

AR, you've certainly been doing some big miles, so all the best with your target. Sounds seriously quick to me! Hopefully the training effort will bear fruit.

Gul, reading the experiences of one of the sub-3 thread guys who also ran the GER yesterday, it sounds like there could be some time to come off too, given the wind, rain and twisty course. Even more impressive.

While lurking over in sub-3 land, I also noticed a very understated sub-80 half from TR yesterday while tired, ill, in bad weather and on not the quickest course. Take a bow! 

TR
14/10/2013 at 13:35

Gul - good to see that the early mornings paid off, good breakthrough, take the self confidence that brings.

Abbers - not really ill, had a cold and felt ropey last week, biggest problem was the SPO made me go to a 40th Saturday in a marquee in someones garden and I froze there til midnight, by the time the laid on transport dropped us off home at about 1am I had a right sense of humour failure. Didnt really fancy racing, and my heart was never really in it, think I saved myself a few matches though by not going to deep into the well. That course was more Downton that Gosport esp in the wind.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.