Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

30,441 to 30,460 of 37,095 messages
11/10/2013 at 16:57

Well done GM on a what sounds like a tough course. 

Birch! Good to have you back, and you seemed to have spurred Wardi and Badbark to pop back in. Great to hear from you all! Lovely picture Badbark by the way - congratulations to you and mrs BB.

Good luck at the weekend Gul - smash it! 

Rest up Poacher. Your manky feet might be more presentable after a couple of weeks on the bench.

to answer the current question: I started running quite casually and realised taking people down in a race satisfied my competitive urges. I decided that it was a safer way of getting my fix than my other hobby as I was getting a bit old and slow for fighting in martial arts tournaments. A badly smashed in nose and a fractured skull sealed the deal.....

not much training this week - one swim and one 60min cross country run with the dog - work is impinging on my recreation time. How rude.

11/10/2013 at 17:25

Lit - that made me . 10 years in Uni! Jeezus - that sounds like some kinda cruel torture or one long party! 

Menn - I'd imagine that weight loss as a motivator accounts for a huge chunk (no pun intended) of runners out there!

11/10/2013 at 18:17

Lit - what were you doing for 10 years?!

Menn - not a pleasant image. Feel like I need another picture of Poacher's feet just to take my mind off that one.

All the very best to Gul on Sunday - you deserve a cracking time and I'm sure you'll get it.

4.5 miles gentle in the rain and dark this morning. Slightly nervous about my XC county championship (for old farts) debut tomorrow - must remember to put the spikes in the shoes tonight.

11/10/2013 at 18:19

Probably more like 9 actually, come to think of it, though closer to 10 before I finally graduated. 4-year BA, 1-year MA, 4 and a bit years for a PhD...

In running news I have sprained my bastard ankle.

Good luck in the XC Lorenzo, though I now have comedy image of you falling on your arse as you try to run up a muddy hill in spikeless shoes.

11/10/2013 at 19:14

Badbark - Congrats.

Gul -  Good luck for sunday, go smash it.

Started running "seriously" in 2008, was on holiday and weather was rubbish so ran most days, cut out the booze for 18 months or so,  first mara in 2009 (3:21) 10th mara 2013(3:24)

MsE
11/10/2013 at 19:34

Mennania - where are the quote marks when you need them. I did laugh at your admission!

Jools - I will be sending all my positivity towards you this weekend!  Best of luck.

BadBark - stop posting photographs of such an impossibly cute baby.  You might prompt some thread babies and that would really interrupt training!

Bad luck with the sprain, literatin. They do live on in you I find and my weak ankle was partially to blame for my Achilles issue.  I hope you recover well from it.  

I think I am now officially back from injury. Today, I ran a couple of warm up miles, did some strides and then 4 steady miles.  I have taken to running without the Garmin visible. The aim was to run around 8:15-8:30m/m and it came out comfortably at 8:0xm/m based on feel.  My legs felt strong, my lungs felt good and there were absolutely no niggles to speak of.  I am so happy as I thought this day would never come.  I think I will continue running in the 8:xx range while I build a decent base but can start looking at races in 2014!   Hurray!

MsE
11/10/2013 at 19:35

Gahhhh! I forgot to say GOOD LUCK, Gul!  There, said it.

11/10/2013 at 19:57

Beautiful babe BB. 

poacher - it looks like I'll drop to the HM at the racecourse now as I'm determined to get under 1:30 by the end of the year.  I have a half in two weeks time but have been advised not to race it..... How is the injury? 

Gul - good luck for Sunday, not that you need it. You've put all the work in and I'm sure it will be yours.   Funnily enough I got an email from GER thanking me for entering....

MsE - great news! Are you nervous about injury or sure you've got it behind you?  what kind of races are you looking at? 

MsE
11/10/2013 at 20:23

Why is M telling you not to race your half in two weeks, Minni?  You have easily got a sub-90 in you.  It is psychological I reckon.  Anyway, I don't think an injury is ever behind you but lives on in you either quietly or rather noticeably (musings of the chronically injured).  Mine appears to have STFU which is marvellous but I do need to work on it every day and will never ever assume I am ever over an injury.  I have done that before and it has come back to bite me!

I just entered my first race!  A half in February 2014!  Yiipppeeee! 

11/10/2013 at 21:28

MsE - Splendid news! Keep on believing and keep on running!!

Lit - Sorry to hear that!

The reason I asked the question was, that, what struck me mostly when I took up running and I have dabbled in a few sports, namely, G.A.A., football, surfing, golf, tennis, boxing etc and have to yet to experience such diversity, it's a unique thing and I'm glad I'm part of it!

8k race Sunday is gonna be low & slow, looking to that!

Blisters    pirate
11/10/2013 at 22:07

Fast moving thread, with many threads. I'll  just choose one.

What made me start? Well...

In my teens I was always slow. Slow but steady. In my 20's I discovered regular running as a method of increasing CV for the various sporty things like Mens Lacrosse and Mountaineering. That's when I read a book called The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (I think). It said that I was almost doing marathon training, with the sole exception of the Long Run. That was the seed sown.

Ten years later I needed to pass a fitness medical, and did a 6 week prog for CV, which worked. Then forgot again for years.

Then at the age of 39 I saw the London Marathon on TV. I'd always been 12 stone. Always. Except that I wasn't. Christmas had stuck. So after 6 weeks I bought a pair of trainers. Then went around the block. A couple of times. And still didn't have a 6 pack like Denise Lewis. I'm now 52. I still don't have that 6 pack, but I am faster around the block.

A year later I ran at London. 3:48. A great feeling.

12/10/2013 at 02:15
Most of all congrats to Mr & Mrs BB
Secondly, congrats to MsE on the race entry
Thirdly, Lorenzo it's dark now but I can photograph the tootsies in the morning just for you. Injury not good, very swollen although not uncomfortable.
Minni - I might well be around the racecourse weekend if this clears up.

Good luck racer(s)
12/10/2013 at 06:51

Been out of circulation- tough week at work. Good luck to the w/end racers and congrats to BB!

12/10/2013 at 08:40

Sorry to hear about the ankle, Lit.  Hopefully it'll respond to ice and rest quickly!

MsE: fantastic you're back running.  Hope that continues to be the case  

2 weeks to go for me, so an easy run with strides this morning to come: treated myself to a lie-in after a busy week.

What started me running?  The Reading Half marathon used to go past my parents' house and I'd occasionally pondered doing it.  Eventually I decided I really would do it, told a few people and then couldn't really back out.  Aged 22 and definitely never having been sporty before, I was monstrously unfit (I had to start with 1 minute run/1 minute walk) but over 7 months I built up to being able to finish a half marathon.  And then started to wonder how much faster I could go!

12/10/2013 at 08:56
MsE-Great to hear the injury has finally cleared up.

My reasons for getting into running are similar to Mennanias. Fat.

Boxing in my late teens, down the gym in my 20s trying to get as big and strong as possible in a powerlifting biase gym. Pretty much total inactivity in my late thirties.
Christmas 2007 I stepped on the scales and was tipping 14 stone, at the age of 40 I needed to do something about it or I would end up like all the other fat gits I worked with.
2nd Jan 2008, first day back at work I started my New years resolution to run the massive distance of 1.2 miles from work to home. This was a little over enthusiastic goal for the first week and had to settle for a run/walk/hobble strategy. I couldn't believe how unfit I had become.
Once I'd cracked that, I continued increasing the loop home 3 times a weeks up to about 8 miles. Entered the 2009 Reading HM for a bit of focus, debut 92 mins and loved it.
I'd turned from someone who was built for fighting and strength to someone who is now built for running away!
At 11 stone the mid life crisis continues with the help of the great people on this thread.
12/10/2013 at 12:04

Best of luck to all those racing this weekend.

I'm doing the Langreo HM (Media Maratón de Langreo) tomorrow. I'm feeling quite optimistic although I am probably 3kgs heavier than I should be. Nothing too spectacular planned or expected, I intend to go off at 6:42mm (4:10/km) and see how long I can hold onto that. For 13.1 miles, hopefully...

I started running at Easter in 2003, having just given up smoking. I got some shoes and went out slowly, slower than you would imagine running could ever be. But I realised straight away that if the pace is appropriate, you can keep going for longer than you thought possible.

Six months later I ran my first marathon, in 3:20:30, following training on a reverse taper basis, with the highest week's mileage (a week before the race) being a whopping 44!!  

12/10/2013 at 13:34

I started running at school, mainly to avoid cricket and other team sports.

Awful day at the coast so quite happy with a parkrun 4th place in 18:34. Didn't get home from my travel until 11pm last night. 

12/10/2013 at 14:40

I ran a bit at school then nothing till 2000.  Having just given birth and feeling very fat  I watched the London marathon on TV (as norm) and at the end they advertised entries for the GNR.  In those days you just entered and got in.  I told me husband I was going to do it and he nearly fell of the chair laughing.  6 months later, while still breast feeding, I ran it in 2:07!   First marathon in 2003 - 3:43 giving me a GFA that I've had every year since.

12/10/2013 at 15:42

BarryB - "cut out the booze for 18 months or so" -
was this a big effort, BB, and after so long on the wagon, what made you jump off again? I only ask as someone who has never had the discipline to stop even during mara campaigns. (Not that I'm a massive over-imbiber).
MsE - "My legs felt strong, my lungs felt good and there were absolutely no niggles to speak of.  I am so happy"  -  Lovely to hear  . . .
SJ - tks!  
OO - good to see some, ahem, older chaps are still actually quite nippy !
Gul, Ant -  good luck tomorrow -

12.5 nice steady miles with some chums in the mizzle this a.m.

12/10/2013 at 16:48

Gul, good luck for tomorrow, not that you need luck, one of the best planned campaigns we have seen for many years.

MSE, good to see you are getting towards getting back.

Leteratin: In running news I have sprained my bastard ankle. Can you explain how one ankle was born in wedlock and one outside. That is some very odd breached birth, or you are using bastard in the other sense i.e. some one who cuts you up in traffic.

50th parkrun this morning and a friend wanted to run at Oak Hill (which is basically just inside the M25 where it meets the A1) so I went along with him and few other friends. The course is just under 3 laps, all on tarmac except the finish funnel. Did a lap warm up to check the course and then after an unhurried start (my Garmin says 9:06) was away. Straight from the start me and another older runner pulled away but we didn't know each other so no idea of form and so it was a bit of cat and mouse with neither willing to drop back. After the first three quarters of a lap when we passed the finish line I looked at the Garmin and saw 5:44 pace which is way too fast so fell back and accepted second place. The second lap was fairly easy and I felt fine and noticed that even though I had fallen back by about 25 metres quite quickly, the gap was not growing. 6:04 pace for mile two and into the third lap and it looked like the guy ahead was struggling. Nothing obvious at first but he was definitely coming back to me. I set about pulling him in and by the turn with half a lap to go I had the lead down the 5 metres and he glanced back and saw me. I was now lapping some slower runners including my friends who gave me a shout out so I pushed on and passed him. The parkrun is fairly flat but has a little uphill in the second half then a long downhill so I pushed up and then let go from the top. I dare not glance round but the cheers from the marshalls showed I had some sort of lead and I came home for first finisher in 18:23 with him 3 seconds behind.

Fastest parkrun for me this year, first time I'd finished first as well this year, so a good day. Nice to get a solid looking time as well though with more even pacing I could have gone a bit faster.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.