Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

30,521 to 30,540 of 37,064 messages
MsE
14/10/2013 at 17:18

Excellent driving with the legs, GD, although I think Julian Goater recommends eyes should be focused ahead ten feet or so and not down*.

* MsE forgets what it is like to race and happily dispenses annoying advice from her armchair.

14/10/2013 at 20:26

Great report, Gul;  as well as the big result, good to feel your sheer pleasure at toeing the line - excellent stuff ! 
I also noted TR's effort - nice one ! 

14/10/2013 at 21:52

That forward stance suggest you were still full of running Gul

14/10/2013 at 22:01

Belting result Gul well chuffed for you. the result doesn't surprise me and as others have said no doubt more to come off given the weather.

im running a bit but have not done much since moving back north in May. It's taken longer to settle into the routine than I was hoping. decided to try a 26 week build up to VLM starting today. The next 8 weeks will just be about getting ready to train.

14/10/2013 at 22:22

Great report Gul to match a great result.

Well done TR. 

Hey RJ. Good to hear that you are back on the path.

15/10/2013 at 06:21

Abbers - to be honest, I really don't think the wind and rain were bad enough to make much difference. And going through the housing estates people were cutting corners which probably made up for the turns (none of which I remember being bad anyway).
TR - very impressive HM, especially as you say you were saving matches!
MsE - I had obviously just been glancing at my watch
RJ - great to hear from you again. All the best with the pre-training training!

15/10/2013 at 06:23

Oh, yes. Set off for an easy run this morning and all the aches and pains convinced me to cut it short and do just 3 miles at a snail's pace.

15/10/2013 at 07:44

Gul - I think you were just trying to do an impression of your avatar. Did you not have a book to hand?

Good to hear from you RJ. Are you back up in Yorkshire?

Up in Inverness at the moment so managed 8.3 miles along the River Ness. Easy 4 miles out, then faster coming back. So-so peformance. 

15/10/2013 at 08:27

Really enjoyed your report Gul.

AR - big mileage from you.

Feeling battered today - The hills obviously took their toll.

15/10/2013 at 10:37

Great report Gul and excellent HM from TR, esp given the race preparation the night before.

Back in the saddle for me in the pouring rain (summer's over) to do 8 miles incl. 8 x 500m - a gentlish reps session to get some confidence back and as a nod towards preparing the 10k for next Sunday.

Reps went from the first in 1:51 (6:00mm) and the last in 1:44 (5:36mm) so quite happy with those.

15/10/2013 at 13:28

Gul - Enjoyed your report and that's a good action photo! Are you gonna do a 10k race in the near future? I'd say you would be certain of a sub 40 with a bit to spare, given the kinda form you are currently in.

Menn - Polarised splits, the 1st half looked tough, well done on the placing and a good time too!

Ant - Back on the horse, good to see and nice reps there!

15/10/2013 at 14:15

Well done Gul, an excellent result and a great confidence booster

What made me start running? I ran at school, starting out in the 200m before finding that the longer distances suited me better to the point that I used to win the 800m & 1500m on Sports Day & the annual cross country race. It was a small school in deepest Shropshire however and it was a rugby school, so I was never encouraged to take it further, and even if I’d wanted to the nearest club was 20 miles away.  Sometimes I’d run the county XC as well and get absolutely blown away by the kids who trained, had spikes etc whilst I ran round in my rugby kit & boots. I did know however that I got better the further the distance, and on a whim when I was 16 or 17 I ran round a 20 mile sponsored walk course in the hills around Church Stretton in about 2:45 on absolutely no training (followed by a monstrous bout of cramp), and said to myself that one day I’d do a marathon. When I left school however I never ran again, but I kept thinking about the marathon.

When I hit 40 I started thinking about it a bit more, then I discovered in late June that my wife had entered the Great North Run. This was a complete surprise as she’d never shown any inclination to do anything even vaguely sporting and she has dodgy knees. I had to do it with her, and fortunately because I was working for Bupa at the time I managed to sneak a place through them.  To my surprise, despite 12 years of inactivity I got up to being able to run 5 miles within a couple of weeks quite easily, but the wife only managed two sessions with Running Sisters before realising that her knees were not going to take it. I therefore went and found my local club because I knew I’d need help and advice, and my proper running career started there. The GNR took just under 2:10 because I started too far back, but I ran the Cabbage Patch 10 in 1:18:27 a couple of weeks later which gave a better idea of what I could do, and things have only improved from there. Now at 50 I’m fully immersed in the sport as club chairman, parkrun event director and a race director as well, and I think my wife regrets that she ever entered that race and got me running.

Just wish I could properly get back into the routine after best part of 15 months out through injury. I'm allowing myself to miss too many Sunday runs at the moment and I need to get my arse in gear.

15/10/2013 at 18:03

Indeed Lorenzo. I've moved to Leeds so much closer to my roots.  Although I still seem to be in London quite a lot! Five days out of the last ten working days I've been in the Smoke. That is one of the reasons why I seem to be struggling with the routine. There is none!

Looking forward to seeing how folks go this year, is there a list?

15/10/2013 at 20:18

Hello RJ *big wave* nice to hear from you.

Yes we need a list.  Where is the old one? Or should we start a new one?  Then there's targets to think about... 

15/10/2013 at 20:34

Hi Jase, good decision to move away from that smelly expensive place

There was a bit of a list a while back, stg like...

Oct 20 - Abingdon mara – DS2 sub 3.10, Moof sub 3
Oct 27 - Frankfurt - SJ - sub 3
Dec 8 - Newcastle Racecourse HM - Minni sub 1.30

Adding on....

Apr 13 - VLM (loads of you)
Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher 

Feel free to cut/paste the reelvant bits & add target races - shift+rtn usually avoids double spacing 

No running here, ankle the size of a football and off to the mad places next few weeks 

15/10/2013 at 21:42

Oct 27 - Frankfurt - SJ - sub 3; Jools - sub 3

15/10/2013 at 22:10

Welcome back RJ, thought you'd done a runner on us

15/10/2013 at 22:26

4 mile run tonight, no time for a w/u, pleasing to see 6:58 avg on the clock although it did feel a bit hard!

MsE
16/10/2013 at 05:16

Oct 27 - Frankfurt - SJ - sub 3; Jools - sub 3
Feb 2 - Kaiser HM - MsE first race post-injury
Apr 13 - VLM (loads of you)
Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher 

16/10/2013 at 06:43

Lorenzo - forgot to take a book with me on Sunday, to be honest.
Mennania - hope you're feeling less battered today. Felt pretty much back to normal myself this morning.
Ant - well done on getting on there again and putting in a decent session.
GM - not likely to do a 10k at the moment.
BOTF - sounds like you're pretty busy - always difficult to find the time needed to put in the long hours of training.
RJ - really hope you can adjust to the new lack of work routine and find a way of getting back into the serious training.
Minni - targets? I'm useless at those.
Poacher - hope that ankle is better soon.
Jools - I'd forgotten how near it is now to Frankfurt - how is the taper going?
GM - I'd certainly struggle with 6:58m/m and no warm-up!
MsE - great to see your name on the race list!
6 super slow miles d&d.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.