Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

30,561 to 30,580 of 37,426 messages
20/10/2013 at 13:19

Great stuff Moof. Delighted for you. Feels like we need a report once you've had a few beers. 

20/10/2013 at 13:24

Moof -  Well done, enjoy the celebration.

20/10/2013 at 13:30

Well done Moof. Superb  

nice WAVA scoring again PMJ.

20/10/2013 at 13:47

Well done Moof and must be a good WAVA, PMJ.

13M easy for me this morning to clear the head: farewell concert for our now ex-principal conductor meant a few beers afterwards.  Still, 7.40s felt pretty comfortable after a few easy miles to warm up.  Now for a week of very little running, bar a race at the end of it!

20/10/2013 at 14:41

Good run there Moof, sounds like the course was hard this year and a result of any kind is good but a sub 3 on that has to be appluaded.

20/10/2013 at 15:02

Brilliant moof. Sub 3 d&d. I'm sure the last 4 miles will be a distant memory in a drink or two's time

Good effort to give it a go PMJ, and still end with a great time.

20/10/2013 at 16:07

Wow! Some superb running there guys. I feel a little intimidated on such a big boys thread. Plenty to learn though.

Well done all

SB

20/10/2013 at 16:18

Nice one Moof, enjoy those beers!

Good racing too from PMJ. 

I raced myself yesterday, but only a XC league fixture. Got my highest ever finish position in that league though (6th), and the first race is usually the best attended. There were a few notable by their absence, but a check on last year's results show I would have been 6th with the same time then as well. 

20/10/2013 at 16:58
Race report.
The drive up from Newbury was a wet and windy affair with the odd bolt of lightening to keep me company.
Luckily there was just a drizzle and some blue sky when I arrived at Abo.
Didn't feel too nervy at the start and said hello to a couple of the sub 3 guys I recognised.
In the first mile my heart rate monitor strap came loose and fell around my waist which was bloody annoying, I now have a friction burn on my lower back where it kept bouncing about. I could have launched it.
I settled into a group of about 5 who were tapping along nicely at a pace between 2.55 and 3. This all felt very comfortable. Although there was a little too much chat going on which I tried to keep out of. I'll talk about why I got into running any time but not in a blinkin race.
We were joined by a girl running her first marathon just to 'tick it off her list', she ended up first lady.
Hit the halfway mark in 1.27.50.
The group seemed to split at about mile 19 with me and fast lady making a bit of a break.
Spotted keir at about mile 19/20 at this point I was still running strong and pushed on. He shouted 'camel power' which made me smile.
At about this stage we had a real heavy downpour and the wind really picked up. Struggled for a while with the wind.
Hit mile 22 with no sign of cramp in my legs which is usually a problem for me but my energy levels were starting to dip and the legs were feeling heavy.
To be honest the last four miles were a miserable affair and I questioned why I was doing this, never again etc etc.
My pace in the last 2 had dropped below 7mm but I was determined not to blow it.
I imagined the lap on the Abingdon track to be a triumphant affair but I was just so relieved it was nearly over.
I knew I'd cracked my target and punched the air as I went under the finish. I could have wept with relief.
I'm not sure if I'm cut out for marathon running as it is so so tough, but today I beat my demons and I'm really proud of myself.
20/10/2013 at 17:07

Good one, Moof - it is tough, and those beers will be well deserved !!

20/10/2013 at 17:13

Well done Moof - briliiant time and also I like how 'Never. Ever. Again' four hours ago has become 'I'm not sure if...' And also to PMJ on the excellent wava score.

Speedy - I was actually perversely jealous of the xc yesterday even though I usually hate every second while I'm actually doing it. Might manage the next one though so you can beat me easily.

SB, don't worry about the big boys, there are plenty of petite girls on here too.

20/10/2013 at 17:27

Fantastic result Moof - Every step earned and deserved. Loved your report as it sums up my feeling exactly with 4 miles to go - please let it be over!

Hope everybody else had a good day to.

Welcome SB - plenty of running sages on here to help you.

Nice running PMJ, OO50 and Speedy.

Struggling to get my legs back after last weeks 10k - 12mile with 3 at under 6mm pace  yesterday and Achilles is somewhat problematical.

TR
20/10/2013 at 18:06

Well played moof, great stuff. "I could have wept with relief" - thats what makes marathons different and harder to convert. Sub 3 is a great achievement.

20/10/2013 at 18:27

Brilliant moof and well deseved. Not ashed to say I shed a tear when I finally broke 3 hours. Enjoy a few beers...

Great run also PMJ- still very respectable and clicked 80% on the WAVA. I hope to get around that time at the Brampton to Carlisle in a few weeks. And Speedy I'm sure there would be plenty of mud with all this rain-so well done on a great placingat the XC. 

20/10/2013 at 19:13

Scorcher there Moof well done and I'm am sure there is more to come for you!!

PMJ - Excellent performance as usual from yourself!

Ant - How did yours go?

I on the other hand had a shocker. Went out last night and got totally smashed and when the alarm went off at 6:30am I felt soooooo ill. Anyway decided that I needed punishment for my excessive alcohol consumption last night and ran the 6k dash which turned out to be 7.25k!!! 4 midgets got the better of me again and I crawled home in 29 mins! Had a titanic battle with one other junior and only shook him off after 6k. Got what I deserved & racing still pi$$ed is not clever but least it took my mind off the hangover for 29 mins!

20/10/2013 at 19:52

Gerard - Ready-made excuse, there. Hope the hangover isn't too dreary.

Moof - You've had a blinder - congratulations!

PMJ - That is still an excellent morning's work.

Speedy - A great result for you - no wonder you're pleased.

I had a funny one today. I actually thought I ran pretty well and it all went to plan, except that I registered a PW by nearly a minute for the distance of 10k.

I parked near the finish and had time for a coffee and a read of the papers before changing and jogging the 4-odd kilometres to the start. I noticed I was sweating already, and it was getting warm. I got to the start with 10 minutes to spare, a few stretches, a gel (yes, really) and we were off. The first two kms are uphill but I got into a good rhythm and polished them off in 3:51 and 3:57. We turned round a roundabout and came back down the dual carriageway,for 3 and 4 and still I was feeling good and comfortable (3:52 and 3:56). Then we turned off and headed for the beach, past the football stadium to halfway (3:58 for 19:36) and then we cut through a housing área and then up a hill, and I began to feel it (4:00 and...4:13!!) Onto the seafront and heading for home for ther last three and I still kept the head on, (3:59, 3:59) working quite hard but still no red lights flashing...until I was into the last km and saw to my dismay that sub-40 wasn't going to happen - all these were garmin splits. Yes, km. 10 was another 3:59 but then there was still 150m to go, and there went my hopes. In the end, 40:19. 262nd out of 1,974.

As I say, this is a PW, and I know I should be doing better. But after last week's fiasco I can't help feeling quite pleased and that I've laid a few demons to rest. I should have realised the splits weren't accurate enough, but when all's said and done, I gave it a good go and there's more to come from me yet, I promise you.

20/10/2013 at 20:19

That's the spirit Ant...

20/10/2013 at 20:33

Great report Moof. Well done

20/10/2013 at 21:00

Great report Moof. Ant too, and 40.19 isn't at all bad for a PW. I think mine to date is 51.55, which was admitedly my first ever proper race. 

Gerard - rather you than me! Did you feel better afterwards or merely suitably punished?

20/10/2013 at 21:09

Well done Moof. A cracking run and a cracking report. As you said to me post race, always nice to put a face to a name. Mind you as we entered the changing area around the same time I am glad we didn't bump into each other in the showers as that might have been a bit too familiar!

Not such a good day out for me. Despite many 80+ mile weeks in the summer and a couple of 27m LSRs, the return to school has really impacted on my training, but more crucially motivation and energy levels. Despite caffine de-loading (depressing) and beetroot juice loading (disgusting) nothing makes up for lack of training.

However I didn't do months of training and pay for Abo entry for a day out so decided to lay my balls on the line and go for it. 6.40m/m for the first mile but then the group of 10 runners I was with slowly sped up and I was soon down around. 6.25m/m. Too fast, but then into the headwind I made the decision to follow rather than ease up and face the wind by myself. By mile 10 I realised I was left with 16m to run and a box of spent matches (the splits below say it all!) Despite easing up the damage was done and the next headwind stretch on lap 2 finished my off. By mile 18 my legs stopped working and although I only needed 7.30m/m to achieve sub 3 I was royally screwed. Moof came by looking strong and good for sub 3. Ignoring the time and focusing on getting home I just enjoyed the run, including the highlight - seeing some old guy trying to hand out Mars bars to the runners at mile 26- right at the gates of the stadium!

At the finish although I would have loved a sub 2.50, or a sub 2.54 pb, no other time would really have surficed. With that in mind I am proud that I laid it all on the line and went for it. I am also happy and relived that it is all over. I've had some good marathons and some not so good ones. Unusually the early ones were the good ones and I seem to have got worse with experience! But the time has come to put the pressure and stress of pb chasing aside and rebalance my life a bit to cater for other parts of my life. I won't stop running, but will probably race much less. 

Distance Split pace Avg. HR
5.00                6:24 163 (84%)
10.00              6:29 167 (86%)
15.00              6:41 167 (86%)
20.00              7:17 163 (83%)
25.00              9:30 143 (73%)
26.44              8:07 155 (80%)

Keep on keeping on (as they say!) 

Edited: 20/10/2013 at 21:12
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.