Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

30,581 to 30,600 of 37,767 messages
20/10/2013 at 21:18

Keir - Well done all things considered!

Speedy - I sobered up about 11am and having a very lively 5 year old boy about the place almost finished me off! Still managed to get out with young Seb for a game of footie this avie and had a hair/s of the dog tonight! Very naughty, but hey. Can't quite work out how they got the distance sooooo wrong. There was a longer dash,13k that measured 10.9k! Says it all

20/10/2013 at 21:37

Wow, Keir - that's a tough old slog from 20-25M...  Sounds like the life/work/training balance has been a bit out of kilter for you of late, so hope that adjusting it suits you better.

TR
20/10/2013 at 21:43

Keir - well played for giving it full beans, you're not getting the return on investment you deserve for all the hard work. I feel like getting together with moof and shedding a few for you. I've never wanted a training partner, but I wish I could spend Feb to April with you at times.

20/10/2013 at 21:44
Keir-Ha! The last time I was in showers that crowded was in 1982 at school. Kept expecting a towel to whip my arse.
After the race you looked how I felt and I'm sure I looked how you felt. It is mentally draining chasing there targets.
Find your moJo by just running. What do you have to prove as there are some pretty dam fine times, both running and riding, that you have achieved.

Well done Ant, excellent EFFORT. Pleased you had a good race.

PMJ- that is still an great time.(although getting older sucks, doesn't it)

Forgot to say welcome Badger, don't be intimidated by some of the paces on here. Plenty of great advice and inspiration. You are definitely in the right place if you are after your best marathon time and who knows what that will be.

Thanks for all the kind words. I couldn't put in the weeks of endless training without the support of my peers, you lot!

And Wheez, no need to lurk.

In other news, I'm pissed!
20/10/2013 at 22:02

Ant, well done. The race has served its purpose and you can move on. Not a bad PW to have on your record.

Keir, that sounds like it was a tough day out after life got in the way of the training. Great effort and guts to approach it that way. Forget about schedules and pick up the running and cycling as you fancy.

Blisters    pirate
20/10/2013 at 22:21

Moof: Brilliant result, pulling a sub 3 out of the hat.
PMJ: Ten miles at that pace is still one heck of a day’s outing.
Gerard M: A nice handover cure. The big question being whether you honked at the finish line?
CC2: Speedy by name, Speedy by nature.
Ant: Pretty good outing, 40 min 10k is a good push, whether PB or PW.
Keir: I recognise that sort of pacing. Mine’s similar but slower.

Abingdon Marathon: a tough day out. Or, what went wrong?
Training said that 3:15 was on the cards. I was in better condition than at Stratford (3:24).

I knew that the first few miles were downhill, so handbrakes at dawn. In truth I felt OK, maybe pushing just a little bit, but this is the big day out. Keep focussing on the pace. Halfway was 1 minute ahead of target. OK. Keep the focus. Keep the pace. A very, very slight up grade saw the HR rise for the constant-ish pace. At mile 18 there was a little corner, another teeny up-grade, and WHAP for the first time in 20 marathons I slammed directly into the famous wall. 30s per mile added on. By 20 miles it was 60s a mile. I was taking walk breaks. Knees hurting, calves hurting, shins hurting. Not aching. Not tired. HURTING. Mile 25 was my slowest at 12:11.
Finally, the line appeared after 3:33:31. A bad day at the office. Get over it. Anyway, I can’t walk properly right now.

Why did it go titsup?
1-Training. Not enough mileage. Yeah I did the 20s, even doing the last few at decent pace.
2-Footwear. I’ve just gone on to Asics DS Trainers. Fast they are. If you keep your form, they are great. Start heel clumping and it’s going to produce calf cramps, knee pains, and generally a bad situation.
So. Recovery. Starting with learning how to do stairs. Then, a new target. No idea what yet.

20/10/2013 at 22:38

Tough one Blisters - I hope the recovery goes well. Experiencing the wall once in 20 marathons isn't a bad stat to have, and now you have the war stories to share!

You have me worried now. Today I decided I am using my DS Trainers in 2 weeks for a marathon; you have supplied me with some good nightmare fodder.

20/10/2013 at 23:08

Sounds a tough run Blisters, that's the trouble with the light weight trainers. All ok when you're running along all fine and dandy but once the legs get heavy and your form goes to pot you may as well be running in your slippers.

Oh, and nice racing from you too GM. you pi$$ head!

21/10/2013 at 06:21

Blisters - I once ran the Madrid Marathon in lightweights so I totally symphathise with that feeling - not weariness, not achiness, not heaviness, but actual, eye-watering pain. Well done on getting through it and recover quickly and well.

Keir - Same goes for you - when things are going well, it's a breeze, but when the wheels come off, it's wall-to-wall grimness. Respect due for not sacking it. 

21/10/2013 at 06:45

I'd already decided to run Frankfurt in trainers rather than lightweights, as although I haven't had any issues with the calf in the last 6 weeks, I don't want to risk it.

Blisters: tough old day out there, but it looks like you've identified the causes.  Hope that stairs feel ok soon...

21/10/2013 at 08:00

Blisters/Keir - A very tough day for both of you, it is truly horrible when it goes wrong, but that's why it is such a challenge and why we do it, well done for getting round and finishing. 

21/10/2013 at 09:07

Birch - nice parkrun comeback.
Minni - good pacing - I presume the parkrun wasn't in the middle of a 100 mile ultra?
SJ - bad luck with the groin injury. Hope it's much better already.
OO - another cracking parkrun.
PMJ - that is still a storming 10 miler to get a WAVA over 80%!
Moof - huge congratulations on a massive achievement. That is one milestone you will never forget. Well done on toughing out those last 4 miles. Good report too.
Jools - enjoy the last week of the taper.
Speedy - living up to your name in the XC with some top racing.
Mennania - take it easy now.
GM - good racing. Maybe next year you'll get some revenge.
Ant - that's a great turn around from last week. Onwards and upwards!
Keir - well done for giving it a go. Hope you can find the right balance. Sounds like you need a bit of time with no schedules and targets and just enjoy the running and cycling for their own sake.
Blisters - bad luck. That sounds like a bit of a nightmare, so well done on seeing it through. Good luck with the recovery.
8 slow miles with a few strides d&d.

21/10/2013 at 09:08

Blimey, Blisters, that sounds one hell of an ordeal over the last 8  . . .
Ant - PW s can be slightly annoying, but the main thing is you're back on the rails after last week  . . .
and Keir - well toughed out on a hard day  . . .
had to smile at Gerard - I guess most of us have been in the "running as a penance" camp at some point  . .
nice XC by Speedy;  was first meeting in my local league y'day. Time was I'd have done this as a racing double weekend, but after the 12 inc parkrun on Sat I decided to just go over and support my daughter. She had a shocker !

21/10/2013 at 09:38

Well done for digging in Keir and Blisters. Ant - welcome back!

DS trainers - I have them but only use them for speedwork and races upto half. Was considering them for Paris next year but am thinking again now. Not sure the benefits outweigh the risks. They are about the same weight as the 1100 series which I did london in with no trainer related issues  - All eyes on AR to see how he fairs with them stateside.

21/10/2013 at 10:03

I am definitely feeling left out on the XC front: for my first claim club we don't have a first race until November 10th by which time most leagues will have done round 1 and 2. I could have raced Saturday second claim but wanted fresh legs for Sunday.

Also interesting to note the cyclic nature of marathons: even as the autumn marathon season is in full swing, I see others (myself included) are starting to look to base build for a spring campaign. In 2011, building up to VLM 2012, I did 150, 210 and 190 miles in October, November and December (part rest month) and this October I have 140 with 11 running days to go so will exceed 200 miles with some to spare.

Keir, blisters, hard days out but they need to be put into perspective. This thread isn't at an elite level but it is at a high level. Sub 3:15 isn't a thing many do, and you guys have both gone sub 3 on a number of times and if you check yourselves out on po10 I expect you will see a UK ranking for marathon. It shows that these results are down to training and effort and if that training is compromised somewhat then the result suffers. Yesterday has certainly made me look at my ambitions and the 2:49:59 target may be revised in due time.

21/10/2013 at 12:00

A big thread weekend!

Moof, a stunning sub-3, even if the last few miles were tough. You've achieved something very few people can ever claim. Recover well.

Keir, sound like a hard day, but well done on toughing it out. The only problem with racing less is that the races you do enter tend to become a bigger deal and come with more pressure. As someone who doesn't race much, I think I'm guilty of putting too much pressure on the days I do pin a number on. It's all about balance though.

Blisters, another who battled through in less than ideal circumstances. Well done for pushing on.

Ant, back on the horse with a 40 min 10k doesn't sound too shabby to me. What's next?

Jools, training banked, taper well and cash in next weekend.

SJ, sorry to hear about your groin issues. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Birch, good to see you back racing.

PMJ, an impressive WAVA score, and a pretty impressive time (in my book anyway!).

OO50, good podium in your parkrun.

Commendable XC performances from Speedy and Lorenzo. Seemed like a fitting weekend for mudlarks!

Men, hope tha chilles isn't too sore.

GM, good strength of character there. Would like to see how those kids would have gone with a hangover!

Binned any vague plans I had to run the Salisbury HM for a morning of ironing, vacuuming and washing instead, before getting out for 8 round a very soggy New Forest in the afternoon. The glare off the standing water when the sun finally came out was quite blinding!

21/10/2013 at 12:33

Sounds like very tough day for Blisters and Kier. These marathons are tough and don't always go to plan- you both give us a clear reminder.The worse thing that happened to me yesterday was that a small bird sitting on a lamp post dropped an enormous poo, with a direct hit on my face and shoulder- so at least things could be worse for you both. Chins up.   

21/10/2013 at 13:17

Wow! Keir and Blisters with a couple of heroic tales there. Well done for seeing the runs through. When I hit the wall I learned so much and was able to apply the lessons to my next races. I think there are more positives to come from a negative race experience than we might expect.

I loved the balls out, sh!t or bust approach from you guys too. I did the same in Paris this year. Nursed the injured leg to 16 when if I hadn't  stopped, stretched and masasged it would have gone pop. Decided that if I got to 20 miles without crashing I would hit the gas and just go for it and if it blew up then so be it. Fortunately it worked and I scraped a PB.

OO50 - That's supposed to be good luck isn't it?

SB

21/10/2013 at 14:21

Great thread guys. Thanks for sharing.

Still on the comeback trail for VLM sub 3:15 glory with a 20 minute run this morning. 

21/10/2013 at 14:24

Thanks for the support, in particular the declaration of man love from TR

Just for the record, 3.13.29 was the official chip time, to make sure I achieved the thread target.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.