Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

31,041 to 31,060 of 38,651 messages
TR
09/11/2013 at 17:37

Blisters - ouch ! I suggest stabilisers.

Moof - yes to both. Your Glycogen stores should last you longer on race day as a result, just as long as you dont spike them before the off with a gel or sports drink. But research shows that even if you've taught yourself to be a good fat burner in training your body will still respond to gels etc on race day. there's a school of thought nowadays that says you can push really hard if you can consume and process enough energy to fuel it. But stomachs dont work well when pushed too hard, so its a juggling act.

Lorenzo - no idea on my number a race pack came (which I assume is from there) but I havnt opened it yet. Red Xempo T shirt, black footy style shorts, black cap (unless its blowing a gale) and big legs. Trying not to look the part.

Edited: 09/11/2013 at 17:38
09/11/2013 at 17:43

By contrast, I shall be attempting to look the part with teeny girl shorts and a vest (or two), but may ruin it by also wearing gloves.

09/11/2013 at 17:47

Ouch, Blisters.  That sounds vile.  Recover well...

Best of luck to the Gosport Massive - looking forward to the race reports tomorrow!

09/11/2013 at 17:49

Jools - nooooo - it's not till next week, but even though I knew that you just made me go and check!

09/11/2013 at 18:12

Blisters - Bet that hurt. Hope your boyish film-star good looks haven't been irrevocably spoiled. Have a quiet word with Mrs. B concerning levels of support.

Lorenzo - Thoroughly enjoyable? A XC? You can't have run it hard enough .

Yes, it's a rum one, this slow runnng business - horses for courses, I suppose, up to a point. I don't think it's about energy levels, as my HR was below 130bpm for the first 11 miles and only went up because I forced the pace on an uphill section.

Gerard - My next race probably won't be till December now, an up-over-and-down 9 mile point-to-point (logistical nightmare, so will only do it if have company, to take two cars) and then a fast 5-miler just before Christmas. I was going to do a HM tomorrow but family commitments (a.k.a. domestic politics) scuppered that one.

Blisters    pirate
09/11/2013 at 20:28

Also Ran. I hope that you bought the yellow ones. They are clearly faster.

Literatin, it sounds like you are proposing to run in your underwear. A nice big coat for the befores and afters could be in order.

TMI warning: one of the Doctors tried to push my nose back into the centre of my face. I had to try and tell him that it hadn't moved in this accident.
Ah well, I'll have to find out what I can still do.

09/11/2013 at 20:39

Blisters - not much to say other than ouch! Recover well.

Good XC effort from Lorenzo, and some tidy miles from GM, SB and Ant.

My LSRs tend to be run at over 8mm, mostly because my longer runs are all done early in the morning at weekends, and I find it hard to up the pace when I've only just woken up, so take it nice & easy. If I do a 10 miler or similar at a lunchtime during the week, it's equally comfortable running a good 30 secs or so per mile faster. Another 8 or so planned for tomorrow morning to take me over 35 for the week, nothing faster than 8mm. Base being built getting fit for my first mara campaign.

10/11/2013 at 05:24

Blisters you have my sympathy. Lost a tooth in a similar accident, then lost another tripping on stairs. I'm a man of few original teeth, welcome to the toothless club...Loving the post op 3 mile jog home. You are made of stern stuff.

18:20 at the parkrun y/day. 15 planned this morning. Then most of the day with Mrs OO- 30 years today since we met

Edited: 10/11/2013 at 05:24
10/11/2013 at 07:01

Ant - nice mileage. And you're right - find something that works for you.
BOTF - sounds like an exhausting schedule!
Abbers - good 11 miler - very enjoyable.
SB - building up nicely.
GM - you're getting lots of hilly miles in.
Blisters - a truly hideous experience but you still managed to jog home!
Lorenzo - glad to the XC has boosted your confidence.
OO - good running - enjoy your day with Mrs OO.
Best of luck to anyone racing or running today.
No running yesterday - had some friends round on Friday evening and they went home so late that I got even less sleep than Weds night! So rounded off the week (57 miles) with 6 slow miles (avg. 9:07m/m) this morning instead. I'm just naturally slow! Cut-back week begins tomorrow - hoping to parkrun on Saturday.

Edited: 10/11/2013 at 07:03
10/11/2013 at 11:47

Blisters - hope your face isn't too balloonesque this morning.

First time over 40miles in a week for a while with a track session of 8 x 400s around 73 secs chasing some young uns.

Ant - you pipped me to the post re lsr pace - 15 for me yesterday came out at sub 7.45 - 20 odd secs quicker than pre vlm for same heart rate. Only base building presently but left me pondering whether I should stay at this comfortable and natural feeling pace or deliberately slow down - save matches and all that. Answers on a post card please....

10/11/2013 at 12:45

blisters - feck that sounds horrific. You poor thing. Take care.

Since I've got a 50k in 4 weeks  thought I'd better do a long run so 20m (lSr) @ 8:36. First 14 with a friend then the last 6 in my own sub (or around) 8 m/m.  I'll fit another 20 in next week then I guess it'll be taper time!! 

10/11/2013 at 13:49

Ant - Shame about the HM and that 9 miler does sound tricky in a logistic sense. Finding that balance is not easy sometimes and we runners can be seen as selfish but we do make sacrifices for our love of it and it's not like we're down the boozer or playing 18 holes followed by a few extra hours at the 19th hole. Always amazes me how folk find time to play golf especially with a hectic work/family life.

TR - Swap the red Xempo top for a footie top instead and then you really will NOT look the part. Just imagine as you are cruising at 6mm pace what the guys who do look the part will think. Hehe, I would love to see the look on their faces. I recently went out on a training run, think it was a 6 miler and could hear this guy approaching me fast from behind and as he blazed past me in a flash of Man U red and footie shorts  I looked at my watch and thought, hey he is running sub 6:30mm  pace. I hunted him down and we virtually raced for a mile and it was only then that I managed to shake him off. Can't see that happening to you though! You aiming for 78?

Menn - I was hoping to do 40 this week but looks like even if I squeeze in a 12 miler today it will be only 34 for the week. Missed Friday's session as I had a work do that involved 30 frenetic kids running around a large bardroom on the top floor of the building where I work. Talking about the stress levels being maxed out!

Gul - Nice big weekly mileage there once again. Indeed I am running alot of hilly miles. It's not by choice though as I despise them with a passion, it's the only way to avoid force 6-7 wind at the mo. One question for you. What sort of week did you do the week of your recent triumphant half? I am seriously thinking about doing teh half now but have never really trained for a half as such. Should I cut back next week completely or carry on as I am? Would appreciate your thoughts and anyone elses.

Minni - Nice 20 miler banked! Your dead good at them.

OO - Another impressive parkrun outing, 30 years is a long time, congrats.

TR
10/11/2013 at 14:04

Minni - any chance that next weekend you could do a LSR Saturday and Sunday ? something like a 20 and a 16, or an 18 and 18.

Gerard - ha ha, or a plain old cotton T shirt. I got beat by a guy dressed as a skeleton in a local 10k a few years back, but I knew he'd be fast as he was really skinny and had racing shoes on. My aim is to try and keep the right side of 6mm (depending upon how it feels on the day), that should get me in the 78ish ballpark, and then it depends upon how much I have in the sub 6mm buffer or not.

10/11/2013 at 14:17

TR - I hope the conditions are favourable and you bag the 78. That would be a pb would it not? Yes I saw a tall bloke in a Mickey Mouse costume running the Jsy mara a few years back and he was running fast. I looked down and saw he was wearing a pair of Asics hyperspeed, nuff said..... Quite apt the bloke in the skelton costume was skinny.

TR
10/11/2013 at 14:32

Gerard - sounds similar. Yes that'd be a PB, my PB is the 79:50 from the Solent 1/2 a few weeks back, Gosport should be quicker. Although I started running a bit more in about 2007 with the aim of a sub3, I've never really targetted PBs at other distances, I'm making an effort to set some before I get too old. I hope to bag a sub36 10k in January, then they have all been tidied up and I concentrate on training towards VLM and next summers Tris.

10/11/2013 at 15:18

Ouch, Blisters, sounds painful! I can't believe your wife didn't come and pick you up as well! 

Ouch for me too. During a bunch up in the first lap of the XC yesterday I got spiked in the shin, then on the second lap I stuck my right foot down a hole and nearly came a proper cropper. Survived both of those only to fall off my high heel shoe while trying to navigate the very uneven and potholed service road behind my house in the pitch dark after three glasses of wine. Now I have a sore left foot. 

10/11/2013 at 15:34

SG - Jeeze, 3rd time unlucky or what!

TR - Very tidy pb's they would be too!

10/11/2013 at 17:10

Back racing post-marathon: Gwent league in Bridgend.  Pleased to finish 15th (19th in the same fixture last year).  2nd scorer. Just over 4 miles at about 6.35m/m, apparently, which isn't bad for mud-fest and undulating cross-country.

Blisters    pirate
10/11/2013 at 17:38

Hey, that's really good Jools. IIRC your club has got quite a few talented girls. And 6:35 for a mud fest either means that it wasn't too muddy (doubtful), or that you just don't sink in. How do the legs feel after that one?

MsE
10/11/2013 at 18:00
TR wrote (see)

Moof - yes to both. Your Glycogen stores should last you longer on race day as a result, just as long as you dont spike them before the off with a gel or sports drink. But research shows that even if you've taught yourself to be a good fat burner in training your body will still respond to gels etc on race day. there's a school of thought nowadays that says you can push really hard if you can consume and process enough energy to fuel it. But stomachs dont work well when pushed too hard, so its a juggling act.

This rings very true and many producers in the US are now looking at creating the correct combination of ingredients depending on the carbohyrate type and degree of osmolality (a word they use but which sounds odd). Osmo Nutrition even goes so far as to create products for men and women according to our different physiologies.  It all makes a lot of sense to me as I have always struggled to take on fuel having run better taking on very little water or fuel.  But I do realise I need to change this to perform well in races.  http://osmonutrition.com/science/science-archives/

Blisters - you are definitely well hard in my books now  I think I might have been inclined to collect MrE in that state though.

Jools - you are on fire!

Speedy - bad news but do stablise on recovery won't you?  Those ligaments tend to remember having let you down and think it fun to do it again.

Can I just share that once I have got out for today's run, I shall be up to 40 for the week - FORTY I TELL YA!  (and that is not including the 8.5 mile hike with the eldest MsEtte (age 8) up Mount Tamalpais, the hightest point in NorCal at 2,500 feet, which is right on our doorstep - I was a very proud mummy to see her manage that).

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.