Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

32,001 to 32,020 of 35,692 messages
24/12/2013 at 06:45
Fish maybe time for you to do seething new to enthuse you. I took up triathlon 3 years ago when I felt like that . Loved the new challenge. Yes I feel ready to give this a go, but if I don't achieve it I will accept that I never will now. Off to do my 11 miler in the rain now.....happy Xmas all
24/12/2013 at 06:53

Mennania - weather was OK here, yesterday morning.
Birch - good day for strides or stride-outs!
Speedy - good hill session.
Doppy - best of luck with P&D55-70.
Minni - well done on getting the first session in.
Abbers - probably a wise move heading to the dreadmill.
Poacher - unbelievable! Enjoy the rest.
PMJ - nice countryside - walked there but never run.
SJ - hope you can finally get those injury woes sorted and make a fresh start in 2014.
BOTF - hope you find your mojo.
Doppy - good luck in the rain.
13 miles for me @ 8:43 m/m - worst of the wind and rain was over. Neighbour's fence is down
Have a good Christmas everyone - won't be around much for the next week.

24/12/2013 at 06:53

BOTF - It's much too early to rule anything out. A couple of good runs from you - and not necessarily pacey ones, just ones which for whatever reason leave you feeling positive - and that mojo will come back.

I see what you mean about sub-3:20 not being the most enticing goal, but it all comes down to how much you want the GFA. I was in a similar position this year and in the end geared all my training to getting it, and it became like the Holy Grail. Another positive thing to come out of the campaign was that I was able to convince myself that having gone sub-3 to just break sub-3:15 would be easier and that to an extent I could run within myself. This gave me a lot of confidence, strangely. In the end, I did it, and it was far from easy. but (and here's what I'm getting at) it was a very worthwhile target to have shot at.

It's horribly windy out there here. too, but an 11-miler has got to be done - tsk, don't P&D know I've gopt a turkey to collect? Stuffing, pies and sauces to make? Eh?

24/12/2013 at 08:19
BOTF it's normal to have doubts, but do you think that if you miss VLM you will watch it on TV, see runners crossing the line on a lovely spring day, and think "I'm so glad I'm NOT there"? Agree that 3.20 is a very humdrum number but I will be going for that too, as GFA and Comrades B seeding.

IMO the sub3 thing is not that important, it was never my motivation and I see so many people stressing about it and somehow feeling that if they have only scored a 3.XX it invalidates their efforts as a runner....that's a real shame.

(Dreading a pic of Ant in the bath of sauce, stuffing a surprised-looking turkey)
24/12/2013 at 09:21

BOTF, know how you feel. My wife said last night that "I looked like I was struggling with motivation". I agreed with her but added "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."  Made me feel a bit more focused and I subsequently added a 40 minute spin session on the back of my run.

Thanks Gul, and Merry Xmas to you too sir - and to the whole thread. You've all kept me in touch with my running mojo all year. Have a good one!

PS, I expect to see photos of Xmas day runs on here tomorrow!

24/12/2013 at 09:33

Poacher - you're a legend! Hats off all round to you sir. My first thought was that it seemed like a good idea and worth giving a go; then I read the report and thought how I normally feel the day after a marathon and sanity returned.

Gul - have a great Xmas as well. It's been an excellent year for you on the running front and I'm sure that 2014 will be even better.

My ankle was still a bit tender yesterday but managed 6.5 miles on 3 stretches of commute followed by an hour of badminton so not all bad.

Fun and games this morning on my 15 miler. I suspected that there might be a bit of water on the roads and a few trees down, but I wasn't expecting an obstacle course scrambling over fallen tress blocking the whole of the road followed by a 25m long stretch of waist deep water with no way around it!

All part of the joy of running 

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/226395/gallery/img_0875.jpg?width=350

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/226395/gallery/img_0876.jpg?width=350

Edited: 24/12/2013 at 09:34
24/12/2013 at 10:16

wow! all I can say! a bit of water????

24/12/2013 at 10:23

I was going to mention the puddle that I had to step around on the way to the Gym, but I won't steal Orenzo's limelight!  That's hardcore running.

Sheltered indoors this morning with a 12 x 400 with 400 recoveries. The reps averaged 5:36pace and the recoveries 7:29pace . Overall 11 miles @ 6:46

24/12/2013 at 10:42

Good pics Lorenzo; looks pretty similar across the Forest this morning, although I'm surprised there aren't more trees down. Planning on getting out early on Boxing Day, so may survey a bit more of the local damage then.

That's a decent session AR; and solid miles from Gul too.

4 slow with some gentle strides prescribed for today, so will get that dealt with at lunch before (hopefully) heading home a bit early.

24/12/2013 at 10:50

Poacher – That’s brilliant and inspiring running and an excellent report. Thanks for the advice on back to backs and I should find it useful when I start my 100k training in the New Year.

Great training runs from plenty of others in this great weather.

For the first time I’ve decided to run the full distance from my house to work and back again today. It’s over 12 miles each way and this morning’s run into gale force winds was great fun. I had to carry my hat after a while as it blew off (first time ever) and had me chasing it down the road at full sprint to catch it! At least my run home will have the wind at my back. 

24/12/2013 at 11:53

Great stuff, Poacher - wonderfully understated, too !  
BOTF - fwiw, I think the mojo will return when it's ready - maybe best not to force it, enjoy a bit of downtime in the holiday period & see how you feel then? Time was when I couldn't imagine it being worthwhile putting all the necessary effort into a campaign once I couldn't go sub-3 anymore, but here I am now having a sub 3:30 goal - but in line with Poacher's words, a lot of satisfaction can be gained by putting a sound campaign together and executing the best race you can on the day.  Best of luck, anyway.  
That's some double, Badbark - puts my 4 miles each way in the shade !  
Hope the 11 miler went well, Doppy, and that everyone's Christmas is as you would wish. 

Merry Christmas to all 

24/12/2013 at 11:54

Lorenzo - Eek, that looks fairly full-on. Good to see you didn't bat an eyelid and just got on with the job.

Badbark - Don't worry, the wind will have turned round by the time you leave for home.

AR - Nice reps - you definitely showed that treadie who's boss.

11.25 miles for me on tired legs. 18ºC and howling winds when I started and then the rain came down...and down and down...All in all, I can't say I enjoyed myself much out there today.

I am now in possession of a 9lb turkey - are sure you don't want pics of me slathering it in butter before stuffing it?

24/12/2013 at 12:22

Nice pics orenzo, did you swim the water obstacle  

Badbark-Good day to start running to work ,

800s last week so tried 3x (1 mile) this week , was aiming for 6:30 pace with 400m recovery but got 6:29/6:39,6:37 struggling with the pace after coming of nights plus a bit windy too.

24/12/2013 at 12:46

Poacher you ARE a legend!  Enjoyed the reports.

Agree with Birch, BOTF your mojo will return probably when you're least expecting it so until then keep plugging away.  You need to be ready for it when it comes!

The Holly Ant the Ivy wrote (see)

I am now in possession of a 9lb turkey - are sure you don't want pics of me slathering it in butter before stuffing it?

So long as its not a picture of you in the bath with it!

I'm cooking for 10 tomorrow and delivering Christmas presents today but thankfully got my sesh of the week nailed earlier (frankly I couldn't enjoy Christmas if I hadn't got it done).  3 miles w/u then 2 x 1.5 miles @ 10k pace (6:34; 6:40 for the windy one) plus 1 x 800m not much faster @ 6:27.   I've never done 1.50m reps that fast so mega pleased.  Dare I say the first one even felt comfortable but the second was harder mainly because of the wind and a couple of floods to go through, not like Lorenzo's flood though!

4 Christmas miles tomorrow and a 12 planned for Boxing day.

Merry Christmas Runners. You are all awesome!

24/12/2013 at 12:57

Merry Christmas to everyone. Some great running going on here by y'all. Slack this end maybe the New Year will be better.

Poacher - You're a tough NUT! That's great Comrades training!!

24/12/2013 at 13:10

Of course we do Ant, we've come to expect such things!

I am so pleased I ran this morning in the gale with gusts that nearly blew me into a dry stone wall, repeatedly, as now it's also snowing horizontally at great speed.

24/12/2013 at 13:16

Impressive stuff from AR - is that your own treadmill or one at a gym? If the latter, I would imagine that you would have had the gym staff looking anxiously on to see if the machine survived at that pace

Good reps also from Minni - are you planning on getting some 5/10Ks in between now and VLM?

Cooking for 12 tomorrow. Bread sauce and stuffing already made, timetable for tomorrow already drawn up, and fortunately there'll be time first thing for the whole of the Lorenzo clan to head out for a few running miles in the morning before the oven goes on - Mrs L is in charge of the route. 

24/12/2013 at 13:27
The Holly Ant the Ivy wrote (see)

I was up early before the rest of the house this morning so I can use the kitchen table unhindered to swap the bones of the turkey for a couple of pounds of stuffing. It is a bit of a palaver but when it is all done and it comes to carving it is way easier.

24/12/2013 at 13:28

Minnie- good effort from you! I'm down for the same kind of punishment! 3 x 2miles at 6:18 pace! not sure if im going to manage! will give it a shot though!

24/12/2013 at 13:32

Well done Ant, Leslie, Minni & Speedy, Adding snow into the mix just for good measure!

Sounds like a great way to spend Christmas morning Lorenzo; I hope do be able to do something similar one day in the future, but not for a few years yet!

The plan said 4 easy miles with a few gentle strides, so that's exactly what I did. Won't be online much over Christmas/Boxing Day, so Happy Christmas one and all. I'll be back in work on Friday though, so will catch up then. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.