Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

32,201 to 32,220 of 38,251 messages
02/01/2014 at 19:16

Current status: enforced rest as 3 maras in 15 days last month caused some damage.

2014 targets: finish Comrades. Chalk up 50th mara/ultra (2 to go)

Lastly, I know it's wrong to do this, but today was the first & probably last time that the postie has brought proof of a mara win. Yes, it was a very, very small event 

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/76130/gallery/p1020888_0.jpg?width=350

Edited: 02/01/2014 at 19:57
02/01/2014 at 20:11
Rich 26point2 wrote (see)

Does the feeling of marathon pace get easier as we get closer to the race day? I feel like it's a real struggle at the moment? Maybe need to go on a diet? 

If you are following a full campaign then you will feel tired and find MP hard all the time until the day of the race itself when you suddenly find that you have run the fist mile 30 seconds faster than MP and you thought you were holding back. Also what we call MP now is probably more of a planned MP than a real MP, so as you get fitter you get faster so say if 7:15 is you planned MP then maybe 7:25 now is a better pace to use, then 7:20 in Feb and break out 7:15 in March. Most plans start by building up endurance so speed is not so much of a focus now.

02/01/2014 at 20:14

Congrats on your win OO.  35,000+ miles seems an awful lot when you think about it; and Birch your 54,400 miles is unimaginable for someone whose only been running properly since 2010!!

I weighed myself on Christmas Eve and then again on Boxing Day night.  Weight gain of 9lbs in 2 days.  Managed to shake 5 of those already.

AR - 6m @ MP at this stage is very impressive.

Leslie - 4m at HMP at this stage would have been a toughie.  Extra weight takes its toll.

Rich - I am in the camp of not racing full out during marathon training. I get confidence mainly from MP sessions of long runs. I do a 20 mile race each year but that is 5-paced; starting slowly and increasing the pace every 4 miles so that I am overtaking all throughout the race and finishing very strong.   

Going very well PMJ.  I think you'll get the better of me this year.

Excellent PB Ant.

Nice trophy Poacher.

This morning was an 8 mile progressive run (one of my favourites) with each mile faster than the previous mile.  Average 7.06 pace with the final 3 miles at 6.39, 6.28 & 6.11.  Very satisfying. 

02/01/2014 at 20:42

Very well deserved Poacher. 

Lorenzo wrote (see)

Minni - out of interest, have you thought about doing some more speedwork? I'm like you in that I find it much less enjoyable than distance work, but I've also found it to be very beneficial in bringing down marathon and half times as well as 5K and 10K.

Absolutely not Lorenzo!   I know what you and TR are saying though.  I really only get satisfaction out of the marathon distance.  If I pb in shorter distances although I feel pleased I usually have the feeling of 'I could never do that again' so it puts me off trying!!  

Another problem I have is there are very few races around me so there's not that incentive to try and get better.

However, I plan to take Poacher's approach after London and be more reckless with my training so who knows!  

02/01/2014 at 21:05

PMJ- thanks for that! I thought it was only me that struggled with MP this early on! I know that if I keep up the schedule that I will grow in fitness and also confidence.

Poacher- Can't believe you won a marathon! That's great! It doesn't matter how small the event, everyone on this thread is jealous

6 miles today at MP 7:20mm average --Struggled! Very windy!

02/01/2014 at 21:33

Ah, Minni, once you realise that the opposite can be true it will be more fun* 

(*or you may end up in tears) 

02/01/2014 at 21:57

I have every faith in your approach Poacher. Have I got this right - I need to run slowly, when I can be bothered, and do the odd parkrun and sub 3 will be mine? 

Budge along the podium OO,  I got first V40 at the Resolution Run. 

02/01/2014 at 22:31

Rich ..ive only done one mara yet and I revised my target time virtually every month during that training , truth is ive no ideal what my mara pace is this time either , 26 miles @ 7:30 pace seems nigh on impossible for me now as apart from intervals this last few months ive not been near it at all but come june I hope it will be a very different story.

Long runs and long mara paced runs will be crutial though to get it.

Nice wins Minni and poacher

02/01/2014 at 22:35

Around the week p&d calls for a long run with 10+ at mara pace I could fit in a half mara and its the week before another half mara I want to do so that might make it easier to get that tough run in while trying out a new half mara.

Not sure I have the self control though to keep a lid on the pace the first one though and I cant race 2 in 8 weeks as that wont end well

02/01/2014 at 23:23

Respect Birch- what else can one say to that impressive career tally.

Abbers- which forest are you running in?

PMJ- good run you are in great form.

Ant- good 5k and your 2014 plans look very realistic, similar marathon target for me.

Poacher- a win is a win, congrats and find a nice spot for that trophy.

Minni- happy to share my podium with you any time. Another fine performance. My vouchers are spent already

My birthday tomorrow= 51    

03/01/2014 at 00:11

Nice gong Poacher .

Good progressive 8 miler martin, did a similar run tonight with the last 3 being 6.54, 6.30 & 6.29 (last 2 weren't MP BTW!).

Is there a thread Jantastic team this year?

03/01/2014 at 07:07

Happy Birthday OO!

Good work Minni!

Nice gong, Poacher.

KR - I'm offended you even doubt it...The CCSTFT is back!

Off out to see if my foot wants to go for a run...

Edited: 03/01/2014 at 07:14
03/01/2014 at 07:32

Happy birthday, OO

03/01/2014 at 08:28

Happy Birthday OO.

Nice win Poacher! I doubt I will ever get one of them!

I was about to join the CCSTFT but have just come down with a head cold so if it dont budge sharpish I would bugger up on day one. Paah

Edited: 03/01/2014 at 08:29
03/01/2014 at 08:38
Happy brithday OO. Enjoy it!
KR - hoping I'll be somewhere around that come April.
Ant - thanks for reminding me about Jantastic. Need to get my arse in gear and sign up.
03/01/2014 at 08:46
Leslie H wrote (see)

Around the week p&d calls for a long run with 10+ at mara pace I could fit in a half mara and its the week before another half mara I want to do so that might make it easier to get that tough run in while trying out a new half mara.

Not sure I have the self control though to keep a lid on the pace the first one though and I cant race 2 in 8 weeks as that wont end well

The thing with P&D is that, as with all other plans, you don't have to follow it to the letter. If there is a half you want to do in week 12 and week 13 says 18 with 10@MP, then simply swap the long runs and run week 12's long run in week 13 and run the hard MP in week 12 as a Half plus padding.

I am running the 16 with 12@MP as a half (Wokingham) and I am running the 18 with 14@MP as a 20 miler (Finchley).

03/01/2014 at 09:00

Happy birthday OO. Looking forward to another year of V50 successes

03/01/2014 at 09:00

AR - shouldn't take you long to shake off those extra pounds.
Leslie - I'm sure the HMP will get easier.
Rich - yes, that 10k session sounds really tough. No way I could do it unless I tapered - it would be a PB for me too. Sounds like you're in a similar situation to me with a dearth of local races.
KR - yes, you know what they say about a change.
PMJ - nice lunchtime run.
Mennania - clocking up some good miles.
Abbers - good run.
AR - looking promising on the MP.
SB - sounding confident.
GM - hope you enjoyed the rest day.
Ant - great start to the New Year - hoping you can stay injury free in 2014.
Poacher - nice trophy - not such a catchy name for the marathon.
Congrats to OO and Minni too.
Martin - nice to hear from you and see you're still enjoying those progressive runs! Must do a few of those myself once base training is over.
Happy birthday OO - same day as my sister.
KR - nice fast finish.
Lorenzo - I was reminded yesterday that you were reading Les Misérables last year and wondered how you got on with it?
6 mega-slow miles @ 9:24 m/m d&d.

03/01/2014 at 09:46

Great way to round the year off, Ant - well done on the PB 
OO - happy birthday, you whippersnapper !  
Poacher said
"Nice win OO, better put in some miles as you are a lightweight compared to Father Birch" - I'd swap a few of those miles to be running at your pace these days, OO !! Long may you continue . . . .
Poacher's trophy well earned and deserves prominence - one of my goals for 2014 is to find a (very) small race and record a V60 victory to go with the V40 & V50 ones from my ever-distant past. 
Speaking of age, we need all the help we can get, so last night I reached for my liquid viagara, but accidentally swigged from a bottle of Tipp-Ex. I woke up this morning with a huge correction  . . . . . . .

03/01/2014 at 10:02

Happy birthday OO- name change? And Menn - if you're doing P&D day one of Jantastic is a rest day...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.