Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

34,221 to 34,240 of 35,802 messages
10/03/2014 at 10:52

Haha!  I was sure I'd run 19 laps but was told otherwise.  The bridges I'm not so sure about!

10/03/2014 at 11:21

Jools / Minni - of course, you're right, and I should really stop moping about it. Put it down to experience and move on. Can't lose focus on the bigger picture. It may also be that I'm better at a relatively slower 7:25m/m for 26.2 than I am at trying to hold 6:40m/m for 13.1. We'll find out soon enough!

10/03/2014 at 12:31

Abbers: Lorenzo and I were discussing our performances and what might have been if a proper taper were employed. I could feel the marathon campaign miles in my legs yesterday and it cost me a PB, even on an unfriendly course.

It sounds like we have very similar targets. I'd love to go sub-3.15 and am somewhat bouyed by the result yesterday, all things considered but sub-3.20 feels more realistic. As I said yesterday, will I have the bottle to do 7.25s on race day?

I've just added the race to my Fetch stats and it's given me my highest ever WAVA rating of 70.59. I think I'm happy with that!

SB

10/03/2014 at 12:36

Abbers - Bad luck mate but as Jools already said with a proper taper you could go sub 90. I have run two bad marathons and I have no idea what my marathon pace is. I could run 13-15 miles at 7:00-7:15mm pace without a huge degree of difficulty but have never had a proper build up to either marathon and was not 100% come race day, hence my poor perfomances for both of them. Hopefully you will be fully fit and 7:26mm pace (did you notice I gave you an extra 26 seconds over the duration) will be achievable. If not, then what will be will be, so try not to worry too much about it.

Edited: 10/03/2014 at 12:37
10/03/2014 at 13:07

Don't know if any of the faster thread members are interested in a late entry to VLM: you need to be sub 2.50 and be a guide for a blind sub-3 aspirant.  More details here: https://www.facebook.com/marathontalk.

10/03/2014 at 13:23

Abbers, don't get too down about it. As you say it's untapered and you are doing your first mara campaign. Getting to 10 miles in under 7 minute mile pace has got to be worth something mentally.

I'm sure you will be able to fit the running in around your new job Gul. Like the subway sprints are part of your ritual

Interesting mutli lap race Minni. I guess there was a chip involved so they could work out the laps? Weird situation with the finish. Had you done a lot of mileage in the week leading up the race? Maybe this is why the MP felt tough? I think I would find that many laps hard to do at a certain pace.

10/03/2014 at 13:44

Minni-Id lose count after about 10 laps so 20 when tired must be torture to keep count.

Abbers-1:33 half is still good enough for 3:15 with the right training just a temporary blip ,I intend to taper a bit for my half mara though or the wheels would probably come of before 10 miles .Not even 30 yet?  you have many years of mara pb's ahead.Next time as they say you should crack it.

SB-another 1:25 half sounds very good to me even if its not as good as hoped 

My hip siezed up yesterday afternoon , I was dragging my right leg after me but a hot bath , stretch and a zip around tescos's this morn for the shop has freed it off again .10 easy miles @ 9m/miles followed .

That will teach me  to do a warmdown after a flatout sprint finish,  .

Edited: 10/03/2014 at 13:50
10/03/2014 at 14:15

Abbers, given your youth you are too young to join Team Misery. Onwards with the training, and then the taper will work a little magic. My half marathons are poor relative to my marathon times. Keep going after the big prize 

Leslie, Good work on loosening the hip at Tesco. I think I may see if doing some heel drops at Waitrose helps.

Edited: 10/03/2014 at 14:19
10/03/2014 at 14:53

Abbers- sorry to hear about your race yesterday! I never had a race nearby so opted for a 17 mile beach run instead. I guess it's all the mileage we have been putting in that made you die in the last few miles. Remember our shedule doesn't have us running at that pace for that long so don't beat your self up. I was 7;50 mm for my beach race but wind behind me most of the way. Put that race behind you and enjoy your next few weeks of 22, 20, 18, 12 and a delightful p.b regardless of time as its your first marathon. Chin up and happy birthday.....!

22 for me yesterday 11 at easy pace and 11 at mp. Turned out at 8:01mm thinking of heading for a sub 3:22 now and just grab a p.b and wait till lochness for a sub 3:20ish. Think the sub 3:15 is just out of reach....

10/03/2014 at 15:06

SB / GM / KR / AR / Rich / Leslie - Thanks for the positivity & encouragement. It really does help. And thanks to GM's extra second per mile, it all sounds much more doable again   I might still start around 7:30s though, and see how I'm going at 15/16. Much to ponder.

Oh, and Leslie / AR - it's one year left in my 30s, not one year until I'm 30! 39 today.

4 easy miles to loosen the legs up a bit after yesterday. They grumbled a bit to start, but much better by the end. Back on the wagon.

10/03/2014 at 15:27

Abbers -Happy 39th Birthday ,and don't worry its not downhill at 40 just look at all the fast old wrinklies on here for proof (insert appropriate smillie here if they ever feckin' worked except for that happy one ) Chin up 

Rich-one disappointing run doesn't mean much in training .

Edited: 10/03/2014 at 15:31
10/03/2014 at 15:35

Abbers  - HAPPY B-day, I meant to say earlier! Any celebrations planned?

Edited: 10/03/2014 at 15:43
10/03/2014 at 15:48

Leslie - plenty of V40s on here, I know, and they're all quicker than me  GFA drops by 10 mins too...

GM - nothing too extravagant. Taking Mrs A & the Ms As out for dinner tonight, then catching up with my brother & family next weekend, so it's all a bit spread out. Keeping the powder dry for something a bit more notable next year really, when both me and Mrs A hit 40.

10/03/2014 at 16:25

Forgot to say happy Birthday Abbers!  

I'm out for a curry with some pals tonight and it's my turn to drive. A mate just emailed to say he's busy tomorrow and volunteered to drive instead. I...I...TURNED HIM DOWN!

I said I would still drive as I have a big training week and need to be alcohol free until Saturday night. Never done that before. I love a beer with my curry and would usually snap an offer like that up every time.

I think I'm in some sort of zone...or obsessed...or both!

We are RUNNING MACHINES!!! GRRRRR!

Keep on keeping on, people!

SB

10/03/2014 at 16:31

Tarts – good long run – my Sat run was also hilly 22, but much (much) slower - nice 22 from Rich also
Jools – well done on the fuzzy-headed 18 & a pleasing week’s total
Leslie- ditto, with a PB to boot !  btw, for your info, I’m wrinkle-free !  
SB & Lorenzo – fine half mara efforts – PB(-1) each is admirable
Philip – 6:42’s not bad for a Death March ! Seriously, you must be very confident now for VLM if 1:22 half felt easy . . .
Splendid 20 mile races also from Martin, Speedy (great weekend (good one at Inter-XC) & weekly total btw), OO (pleasing colour co-ordination with the shoes and kit, btw). Good 19 from Minni !  (very bad show by the officials if indeed you were a lap short) , and good 18 from Sandy B
Abbers
– what Jools said; fwiw, in my 26 campaigns I’ve had days like yours, then pulled a decent mara out of the bag (also the reverse !), so keep your mind on the main goal . Happy b’day btw . .
KR – my mate ran Retford (he won the V60 by about 6 mins), but said he started to struggle in 2nd half. Don’t doubt yourself – many variables can affect a performance on a given day; I’m sure you’ll be good for Manchester.  
TR- really hope you can make the start line on 13/04 – fingers crossed here for you
AR – healing vibes to you too, & Poacher – remember – warrior, warrior . . . . .
Ant - no fitness loss in 5 days  . . . . 

sorry if I’ve omitted anyone 

14 here this am, with 3 at “work hard(ish)” in the middle – felt reasonable after Sat’s 22 and yesterday’s 5 which concluded a 60 mile week. (60 seems to constitute a big week for me these days). Noakes states that those over 45 (!) , or those with 15-20 years of training & competition, should only aim to complete about 60% - 75% of any of the schedules presented in his tome. (These include Pfitzinger & Daniels).  I think I’m maybe higher than that (perhaps 80%), but would need to check my old diaries. Still getting the long runs in, it’s the harder efforts and overall miles that have decreased. 

Have a good week, all  

10/03/2014 at 16:32

Abbers - Many Happy returns - crack on, with a good taper you know you are there or there abouts.

Minni - that sounds pretty disappointing but good that yhou had a nice day out.

Gul - Great news on the Job front

SB - a decent half nevertheless!

Plenty of otehr  good running as always Lorenzo,Leslie KR et al.

I managed 20 in 2.19 yesterday with 14 at MP, all under 6.37mm. Felt Ok but it seems to be at the cost of another toenail.

10/03/2014 at 17:21

I haven´t had any success with logging my Jantastic runs or getting into my email accounts   If anyone wants to email them and tell them Mark Walker ran 3 times last week with a longest run of 7 miles feel free. I think we won´t be at 100% if they don´t get logged so sorry everyone! Stupid Tenerife holiday getting in the way. Time for more food and drink. Happy running  

10/03/2014 at 18:19

I just e-mailed them for you Mark. Hope they log them for you! A few others might want to try just to pressure them into submission.

Happy hols! 

Edited: 10/03/2014 at 18:20
10/03/2014 at 18:31

I suspect all our results are late Minni because of your debacle! Legs feeling pretty good today by the way, but I'm taking a rest.

Menn, you ran faster in training than me in a race (or was it a race) 

TR
10/03/2014 at 18:52

PMJ - I think I got the wrong end of the stick, were you telling me that you think you could have run 20 at faster than MP or that you did do 20 at faster than MP ?

Abbers - a flat out 1/2 was always going to be a big ask, you have been doing lots of new things and training hard. You also need an easy day the day before an endurance race if you want to nail it. 7:25s will be considerably easier than 6:40 to 6:50 pace too.

GM - the streak is the last 6 VLMs between 2:51 and 2:55, similar-ish training will return similar-ish results, and I'm usually happy with the ROI I get. I dont commit to marathons the way lots of folks do (or like I would need to do to go 2:45ish).

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.