Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

34,321 to 34,340 of 37,354 messages
15/03/2014 at 19:11

Actually, you get a threatening letter telling you that you aren't allowed fancy dress on champs start because (quotation): 'this is reserved for the fun run part of the race'. i.e. the rest of you lot. 

15/03/2014 at 19:17

fancy dress it is then....

15/03/2014 at 20:52

Fun runners are us 

15/03/2014 at 21:25
Well thanks for the welcome. I'll try to keep up with this busy thread.
Lorenzo, you guessed it, fishy backwards. Manchester training has gone pretty well so far thanks.
Moof, my goal time is based on the recent form of my ageing legs. No excuse really, with 00-51 and other being so quick. An 8 at MP on Thursday felt good and controlled and I've also done a couple of mid-week 10s at MP, which were also fine. But keeping going for another 16.1 is another matter.
Sporty - great confidence building final 20 miler. From a previous list, I think that you're running Brighton on 6th April. There'll be a few sharing the inevitable taper madness over the next 3 weeks.
15/03/2014 at 21:36

Yhsif - were you formerly known as iFish? 

15/03/2014 at 21:42
Minni - Yes I was! This thread is full of detectives. I used to post on the '3 runs a week' thread that you started back in 2008. I see that you've moved onwards and upwards since then.
15/03/2014 at 22:02
That was when I still thought there must be an easy way to train for marathons but like most others I found out the hard way!
15/03/2014 at 22:20
Gosh what did they threaten you with lit? Fun?
15/03/2014 at 22:36

I'm having jitters big time now and 3 weeks till race day!

Pacing??

I could run a marathon tomorrow at 8mm (sub 3:30)

but could I run a marathon at 7:25mm?? It's really starting to worry me!

would it be sensible to run 7:25mm all the way, 7:40mm and see how i'm going at 13 trying for a negative split or start 8mm and increase the speed slowly over the race??

dilemmas!!   

Should I trust the training and run 7:20mm and allow a little tail off at the end??

Help! 

16/03/2014 at 07:02

Great 5ks from Rich, OO and Moof and excellent miles from Sporty B, Lorenzo and Gul who, being in East anglia, is in another time zone from the rest of the planet.

Lorenzo - Easy now, there's still four weeks to sharpen up, and don't forget the power of the safety pin. Don't start fiddling with that target time.

Rich - 7.25mm all the way, kicking on at mile 22/23. Sorted.

Lit - Don't let me catch you having fun...

PMJ - How's that foot/toe? Can you run on it? Good work on the spreadsheet, I'll put my details in as soon as I've conferred with my (cough) secretary.

Good luck to anyone racing/LSRing today. I'm doing a 10k in 3 hours' time, and pre-race nerves are kicking in already. My best 10k times (37:38 and 38:23) have come off maratón training but two weeks on, i.e. end of March/beginning of April, with the corresponding weight loss. Given that, I think my Jantastic target of 38:50 should be about right. My tactics are to go off like a shot and hang on for grim death.

16/03/2014 at 08:48

Good luck with that ant! Great tactics

16/03/2014 at 08:59
Hanging on for grim death never fails, best of luck Ant.

15 miles at a nice and easy 8.20 pace for me this morning. The sun is still out, hurrah!
16/03/2014 at 09:10
Rich26 - you have to be honest with yourself. Have you got the miles in, built plenty of endurance with the long runs, tested marathon pace and found it tough but doable.
If the answer's yes then have the confidence to go for it, but I wouldn't set out with a negative split strategy, have just a little in the bank at half way.
And trust the training.
16/03/2014 at 09:42
Those 21 quicker seconds on parkrun yesterday have cost me 8 percent on my Jantastic score, bugger, I was hoping for 100% all the way.
Edited: 16/03/2014 at 09:43
16/03/2014 at 10:03

Toe fine, thanks for all the good vibes, that and ibuprofen have done the trick. I don't mind ibuprofen but try and not race when  I am having it as I am concerned it will mask the pain and force complications, so none today and I am fine.

Trying to plan next week. P&D has my last 20 and as  I have done 20@MP I just want a nice easy one: time on the feet, views etc. Is anyone in my neck of the woods doing the same and want to share? AR?

16/03/2014 at 10:51

Time to tune in and watch MO in the NYCHM. Should be interesting, sub 60?

16/03/2014 at 12:20

Note to self: before posturing and saying you're going to do this or that, check what you're getting into.

This morning's effort was my first at this particular race, the Mieres 10kms, in the grim minin town of the same name, which, curiously, has the lowest birth rate in the world. The world, mind you. Anyway, the circuit is one of those they call practically flat but is in fact a bit of a rollcoaster and one I can adjudge, having just done the thing, to be a good 30-60 secs off a PB course.

In summary, as I'm off for my Sunday Martini in a minute, I was very happy with my effort rate and the state of my niggles (disappeared) and my head (no self-torture), but it was clear after two km s that this was going to be 5-10 secs slower per km  than predicted. Never mind, I hung in there, concentrating on form and steady effort, and was not overtaken all the way roubd the three-lap circuit. I felt myself actually feeling pretty strong come 7 or 8 kms and was able to put in a bit of a spurt to pip two on the line .

In the end 39:26, which is not great, I know, but I''ll take it as I know I put in a decent shift today.

16/03/2014 at 12:40

Well done ant, great run and good effort. Martini well deserved! 

16/03/2014 at 12:43
Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Lit - Don't let me catch you having fun...

Don't worry, I'll make sure I stay well in front of you. I hope it is a proper gin martini.

16/03/2014 at 12:59

Moof- nice 15 miler.

Ant-39:25 for a 10k doesn't sound bad to me 

Rich- go out at the average pace you need for the finish time , forget trying to speed up at halfway it will probably end in disaster.

18 miles for me at a slow 8:44min/mile for me, ran out of steam at about mile 1 but plodded on a proper death march ... garmin though says I was running an average of 4 min/miles all the way but all the spits are present  and correct....strange..happened before 2 days ago must be a problem with the ant agent stick ?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.