Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

34,321 to 34,340 of 37,071 messages
13/03/2014 at 22:13

AR - go easy

SJT - nice pace on the reps

speedy - a tough week all round. Hope the cats happier. 

foam rolling tonight and found a knot like a golf ball. Tried releasing by trigger point. Any other suggestions? it tightened up last night- right at top of calf on outside.  Booking masseurs tomorrow.

13/03/2014 at 22:36
Fast reps, Jam tarts, wish I could do them that quick at the mo.

Take it easy AR.

After stepping off the spring marathon training loop for the first time in four years lve never felt so healthy, nothing creaking or about to fall off. I've not run a marathon yet without carrying a niggle and scars from the relentless training.
Trained for five and made the start line for three, My over enthusiasm does me in.
Just goes to show what a tough ask getting to the start line in your best shape is.
Respect to all of and hope you make it.
14/03/2014 at 06:30

Abbers - nice set of mile reps and good improvement!
Ant - good run and physio session.
Leslie - fast and consistent reps - well done.
Rich - good HMP run.
SJ - good luck with the hip and is it really only a fortnight to go?!
Moof - parkrun is the nearest thing I get to racing most of the year. I think you'll smash 18:30.
6JT - super fast 800s.
AR - sorry to hear your news. Hope it's resolved quickly.
Mennania - A good massage should do the trick.
6 recovery miles d&d.

14/03/2014 at 08:19

Yes Gul, 2 weeks tomorrow. I'm actually feeling quite strong despite only averaging 30mpw since December. Like Moof says above, I too have never come through a campaign unscathed and although the mileage is low I have at least managed running consistency along with a fair but of bike and swim. I just need to test the leg strength at the race now. Still debating target time.....

Edited: 14/03/2014 at 08:21
14/03/2014 at 09:58

Was just about to write out a nice long post, but then thought why bother when Gul has done it already? So what he said   A few specific mentions...

Ant - no idea on the shoe question. I'm not a Mizuno wearer.

Well done Rich - taper is in sight!

AR - Rubbish news. Fingers crossed for you.

SJ - I suppose it's nice to know the op is available as a fall back should you need it. Sounds like you're managing things OK at the moment though.

Weekend plans mean moving tomorrow's easy 5 to today, and then 22 early on Sunday which will my longest run of the campaign. Thinking of trying the last 5 @ PMP to see how it feels.

14/03/2014 at 10:35

AR - Good luck with that, hopefully it's not as bad as it appears. Try and stay positive - hard sometimes, I know.

Rich/Tarts - You two are on fire!

17 miles for me this morning @ a steady 7:40mm, just concentrating on keeping a steady pace. I had a bowl of Weetabix w/skimmed milk and a cup of tea an hour beforehand but otherwise this run was unfuelled and completely non-stop. Very pleased to report zero discomfort/niggles for the first time in ages.

It is sunny and quite warm and this echoes my outlook as far as running goes. Two weeks ago or even less I was considering DNSing at VLM ; now I really feel I can do it justice. My weight is coming down nicely, too, incidentally.

I'm going to take it easy all day today, do a sesión of abs, stretching and foam rollering (gulp) this evening before having a total rest day tomorrow. Then on Sunday I'll see what I can do at this 10k.

Happy running everybody.

Edited: 14/03/2014 at 10:36
14/03/2014 at 11:51

Ant - great news! It may just all come together perfect! I had designs on 2.49 before I was ill so have scaled my ambitions back - we will see where I am come the day. Whatever happens I am looking forward to it

14/03/2014 at 11:52
Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

I'm going to do a sesión of abs... 

Sounds so much more glamorous than my core sessions.

14/03/2014 at 13:00

Thanks for the take it easy comments.

Diary of a Running Idiot (or an Idiot Running?)

Wake up with Achilles throbbing away (just Achilles mind). Lets head off to the gym to do some elliptical and rowing before seeing the physio later.  Oh god, look at those treadmills; 22 of them all unused.  Now, it seems to make sense to do a small test run so I can give the physio up to the minute symptoms.

Two miles in, not bad done in 19 minutes. I guess today should have been 14 with 10 at MP. Sod it, what is to lose?

omg I have entered a 10mile chamber of torture. Never mind, 1st mile done at 6:15. OK it hurts but nothing worthwhile comes easy. 

1.3M done, only 8.7 to go. I can count so thing's can't  be that bad. Lets get to 5 miles and then it has been a decent training run.

5Miles done, that is chuffing 50%. So it is uncomfortable, but at least I'm not suffering from the normal toil of running hard.

....  10 miles done, and then 2 easy barely walking.

Hey folks, the idiot is back

14/03/2014 at 13:09

Idiot has been to physio

Not quite the answer I wanted. I was after a 'rest and recover' for 8 weeks, or actually it can be sorted easily.

Plan is to run 3 times in the next week. and cross train in the off days. Meanwhile lots of stuff to work on for the achilles. Review next week with physio (our Arran Bike-It) and either call it a day or plough on. That means another week of hell, and unfortunately the end of my Hanson's Adventure

First thing physio wanted was to revideo my gait running on the treadmill. After this mornings exploits, that hurt big time.

Bike-It - did you know Arran is running London to Brighton in May? Is that your influence!

Blisters    pirate
14/03/2014 at 13:47
Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Has anybody worn the recent versions of Wave Rider? If so, how do they compare to, say, versions 12 and 13?

Ant, the new versions make you very much poorer. That's why nobody has worn them.

Plod plod from this corner. Nowt of excitement.

14/03/2014 at 14:53

Coming along nicely Ant. All looking (and sounding) much more positive.

AR - a bit annoying being left in limbo for another week, i.e. not "stop now and recover" or "keep going, you'll be fine". Hope it's more positive news next week.

5 easy ones ticked off here, theatre tonight (Canterbury Tales) and rest day (to include watching rugby) tomorrow.

MsE
14/03/2014 at 15:27

AR - you plonker.  Now you've gone and done it!  Funnily enough, this idiot decided to run for two hours in new trail shoes and ended up with irritation of old injuries.  So easily done isn't it?  I think we need to think more like alcoholics with a once an injured runner always an injured runner mindset.  I assume it is a recurrence of tendinosis as opposed to tendonitis?

SJ - best of luck with (a) the ultra and (b) new hip.  (That really shouldn't happen in the same sentence should it?)

Relurking.

14/03/2014 at 15:50

MsE - You plonker Rodney!  yes - an 'osis' variety, no inflammation. When running I'm putting far too much force through the right achilles due to my left hip destroying my 'good' mechanics.

I can't say I would welcome a hip op SJ - it is small consolation to be able to choose when to go ahead, but doing an ultra before hand sounds like great war story fodder for the grandkids

Ant - hope the blue tape is holding up. My physio didn't have any colours I liked which may prolong the recovery. Hopefully you have turned the corner now and will get a decent 4 weeks in.

14/03/2014 at 15:54

Gout flared up today and I couldn't walk. I tried to be an idiot but after 0.5 mile jog it was obviously a no go and I managed 0.5 jog back to log 1 mile in Jantastic.

14/03/2014 at 15:56

Stop being idiots all of you!!!!!

14/03/2014 at 16:53

Lovely 5k lunch run with a friend today who is trying to get running fit. So nice easy pace instead of pushing it a bit as usually would. Been a far too busy week so I am going to head straight to the free bar in a minute and then out with work for our annual pub quiz. Can feel a big night coming on and I'm very thirsty. 

14/03/2014 at 17:05

This was supposed to be a big training week for me as after my 20 miler tomorrow, I start my taper for Brighton. The Surrey HM on Sunday really minced my thighs and I've missed out on some miles. tried to play catch up today and attempted a 7 miler with one mile intervals.

The idea was to do one mile at around MP and one mile proper hard (for me).

Legs initially felt great but at halfway the thighs strated to complain. I cut the run short as I didn't want to mess up the 20 tomorrow. I was really surprised with the splits - 7.17, 6.15, 7.22, 6.23, 7.28, 6.33.

Did a 0.2 w/d to take the run to 10k and the average was 6.54.
Really pleased. Despite Sunday's race still being in my legs (as well as the 18 holes of golf yesterday) I seem to have gone up a division (in my running world, anyway).

Good luck with the weekend long 'uns, gang!

SB

TR
14/03/2014 at 17:23

AR - you had best listen to the physio then, 3 runs a week and some rowing will still see you doing a decent VLM time if you can heal the achilles !

PMJ - you are being very wise this week, well done. Less Vennison and Port tonight then.

Bit less-wise here (but it is sh*t or bust week) by backing up Wednesdays 18M with another 18 early doors today inclduing a 20min/5x4min/20min BAC session (first once since the end of Jan too), legs were a bit tired by the end of the 2nd 20min rep.

14/03/2014 at 17:42

9 miles @ 8:15m/miles this morn for me , sounds like there are a lot of walking wounded on here today , get well soon all and follow Doctor speedy's advice if you can 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.