Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

36,401 to 36,420 of 37,080 messages
01/06/2014 at 10:02

Gul - I'd say your body is up to marathon training - after all, you put together a long  buildup -  maybe a slightly shorter plan could be the way? As Moof said, had the race been a month ago, then who knows what you may have achieved. Is an Autumn marathon possible for you? Mablethorpe is on 05 October; you could tick over and regroup during June, then a 10 week block starting 07 July, with a 3 week taper takes you to the start line  Whatever you decide, I'm sure you do have a fine marathon within, and one day you'll produce the goods. 

Tough day for Lorenzo, but well battled to make the finish; big congrats to MrsL - always memorable to bag the first one, and within target too!  

01/06/2014 at 10:04

What's Poacher's number anyone?

01/06/2014 at 10:49

Poacher seems to be nailing this.  His position at checkpoint 3 is more than 1000 places up on his first checkpoint.  That's a lot of people!

Crash Hamster    pirate
01/06/2014 at 11:08

Blimey, that's good going by Poacher!

Gul, ouch, was really hoping it would come together for you! Cruel game, marathon running.

Lorenzo, unlucky, but still good to dog out a 3:27 (it's inside my PB!) Well done on pushing Mrs L down the slippery slope to distance running madness too.

Keir, loving your flagrant disregard of the 10% rule! What is 110% of nothing anyway?

OO, nice 19 minute disaster (do you think hanging round this thread with a load of fast people will make me quicker? I'm hoping some of it will rub off!)

Jools, how do you find the time to be good at two hobbies?

Local 10k today. Didn't win. 44:24, pretty even splits 7:09 7:08 7:10 7:10 7:16 (oops) 7:05 and 6:30 pace to the finish. 65 sec shy of my PB at a stone heavier, so not too bad. Tunnock's Caramel Wafer in the goody bag. All is right with the world.

Edited: 01/06/2014 at 11:08
01/06/2014 at 11:23
Poacher's number is 11519.

Quads still stiff (much more than post London) - Mrs L has said that she's not planning on doing another marathon..........yet!
01/06/2014 at 11:32

CH: kind of you, but I fear I achieve mediocrity at both - you only have to look at the results someone like Lit achieves to see that.  And in terms of time investment, as the violin was my passion as a teenager and I practised my fingers to the bone, I can get by on not a huge amount of practice these days to keep ticking over, and just tend to up the practice when I've got a concert coming up (I've got a sextet/octet concert on 10th June, hence the panicked practice currently taking place!).

01/06/2014 at 12:44

Lorenzo - Sorry to hear about your marathon but Mrs L did well. You already ran one great marathon this year!! Thanks for Poachers number btw!

Jools - You are very modest and I'd say you are light years away from mediocrity. I'd have a stab and say you must be amongst the top 100 of female marathon runners in the country. Very mediocre! Don't mention June 10th, I have an exam that day!!!!! 

CH - Nice 10k, keep at it!

Gul - Gutted for you, but try not to be too down or hard on yourself. Marathon training is a very tricky thing to get right. I have tried twice and failed but I am sure you will bounce back and be back running at the level you were before you got injured. Like the sound of more emphasis on core work, it's got to help!

01/06/2014 at 12:46

I see Zola Budd completed the Comrades in 6:55 today to finish 7th, not bad for a 48 year old!

01/06/2014 at 13:02

Gul - Sorry to hear that.  I'd have said pretty much the same as Birch.  How are you feeling now about your decision to stop when you did?

01/06/2014 at 13:20

Well done Poacher!  Can't wait to hear ALL about it!  Awesome.

01/06/2014 at 13:24
Fab stuff from Poacher. Many stories on the way I feel!!
01/06/2014 at 14:52

Well done, Poacher  (and Ellie Greenwood: first female British winner)

01/06/2014 at 16:01

Walled city marathon for me today.

After several days rest to help my hamstring heal a bit before I decided to go for it and stuck with the 3:15 pacer to about 10 miles and it felt fine but soon after it became obvious if I didn't ease of the pace I wouldn't be going much further so I slowed and went though half in 99 mins after that the next goal was to get were my family were standing at 16 miles where I promptly stopped and stopped the garmin !

A short time passed and I decided I wasn't quite beaten so I pushed on but every 2 mile or so I was walking sometimes for a considerable time between jogs it seemed.My leg hamstring was sore but trying to save it by working the right leg harder by about mile 20 and it was cooked as well.Pace dropped to 12 min.miles at a stage so walking was hardly losing any time.

A quick bit of maths after the 3:45 pacer passed me at mile 23 suggested if I pushed on I could break 4 hrs so i pushed but it was slow .

Saw a man collapse with less than a mile to go with calve cramp but there was a policeman who was helping him so I laboured on and finished in I think 3:49. I was never so glad to see the finish  The medal was massive and tbh its all that kept me going as I wanted it bad 

01/06/2014 at 16:28
Joolska wrote (see)

Well done, Poacher  (and Ellie Greenwood: first female British winner)

Here here, all hail Poacher! Well done that's a very good time don't know how you can do it!

Jools - Ellie Greenwood defeated the Russian sisters (can't remember their names) who have won it 8 times between them in the past 8 years!! What a victory and looking at her splits came from way behind to take the win.

Leslie - Well toughed out. Sounds like you deserved a medal!!

Edited: 01/06/2014 at 16:29
01/06/2014 at 16:35

Ouch, sounds like a difficult day for marathons (except for Mrs Lorenza ). Sorry Lorenzo, Gul and Leslie had less-than-ideal races; knowing when to DNF (or indeed DNS) is important too though.

I can't even get my head round what Poacher's been up to.

Joolska wrote (see)

CH: kind of you, but I fear I achieve mediocrity at both - you only have to look at the results someone like Lit achieves to see that.

Who, me? I think my times are pretty similar to yours (some slightly faster, some slightly slower), so either we're both mediocre or we're both brilliant! I'm crap at playing the cello though.

01/06/2014 at 17:27
Ah, but it's taken me a lot longer and a great deal more work to get there, Lit... 2 more hours of practice = even sorer arms and fingers. Concert had better be fantastic!
01/06/2014 at 17:36

To reiterate the literate, Ouch indeedy. But these are the days that make us stronger.

Poacher-Amazing! but I didn't expect anything less!!

01/06/2014 at 17:53

CH - good effort in the 10k. PB next time.
Birch - autumn marathon is definitely worth considering, thanks.
TAR - right decision; it was just the first 2 laps that were oh-so wrong.
Leslie - sorry it wasn't to be, but well done on toughing that one out - not such a wimp as me!
Poacher - !!!!!!!!

01/06/2014 at 18:20

Gul - don't be hard on yourself mate , I really should have sacked it at halfway its just after taking 3 nights of work to run this I wanted to at least finish, dnf was in my mind till I got far enough that there was no turning back. None of us oldies are really cut out for mara running and its pot luck if you are fit on the day ,we weren't, at the end of march id have probably smashed it easy, been downhill since then.

01/06/2014 at 18:49

Vets AC track champs today combined with the Surrey and Sussex vets so a good field. 3 full 5000m races: women, then men 35, 40 and 45, then then men 50 and older. Couple of miles gentle warm up and then onto the track and a quick chat to try and find someone going at my pace. The plan was to get as close to 18 as possible with half an eye on going sub 18 if possible. A 5000m is 12.5 laps and 90 seconds a lap gives you 18:45 so I needed to make about 3 seconds a lap up on 90 pace.

Gun goes and the first lap was 83 so fast but felt comfortable and I have settled down to a pace just off the front group so that is OK as the said they were looking at 17 or faster.  Second lap and pace is still high and easy and third lap I am already about 15 seconds ahead and Garmin says the first mile in 5:33 though I pass 1600m in about 5:40 so have 20 of the 45 seconds I need in the bag so just need another 25 seconds over the next 2 and a bit miles.

By now I am settled in and there is a guy behind me puffing and panting and just staying behind me and holding on so I keep pushing but he keeps hanging on so we move each other on at a nice pace. The laps tick by and the maths says I am still banking seconds so I ease up to 27, 28 seconds and only 4.5 laps to go. Starts to get heavy but I can feel the end coming close and suddenly I am over 30 seconds ahead of pace and I know that a low 18 is there for certain so just need to hold form. The winner laps me with about 600m to go and then I am through the bell and just 400m to go. Heavy breather starts to come past and I can't respond but need to concentrate on my own race and get round to 150m to go and can start to wind it up in a last effort. I can see the clock showing 17 and keep pushing and cross the line in 17:57/8.

Need to wait for an official result but will be sub 18 and the aim for the year was to get at least one sub 18 so that is ticked off. Now it is done, plenty of time to try a faster one.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.