Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

36,681 to 36,700 of 37,176 messages
18/06/2014 at 16:37

Nice runs Joolska, PMJ
Careful now Menna

Instead of feet, here's stg really boring and smelly

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/76130/gallery/20140618_162647_resized_1_0.jpg?width=350

Training Camp is stunningly dull. Today's gymfail is the Chelsea shirt guy again, he has't washed the kit all week and it could probably run on its own. One would almost - but not quite - prefer to share a bath with BB's shreddies. In other news, someone actually set his treadie to 0.9kph for a while  (barely moving) ; but Charleston Girl has been taking it out at 16kph, respect for doing that in the heat.

As you were

TR
18/06/2014 at 18:50

Abbers - similar starts to teh season then, hope it stays dry from now on in, teh colts seasons are done by August but luckily there's still adult matches for another month.

Badbark - like I said before its a real shame that you didnt get the ROI you deserved, but theres way too much information in that report !!!

18/06/2014 at 23:00

Photo of Charleston Girl please Mr Poacher.

Impressive 5000 Jools. Flying!

18/06/2014 at 23:05

Poacher, I listened to an episode of talk ultra from a couple of weeks ago and there was mention of a lady attempting 10 Comrades in 10 days (in a Brathay stylee) - do you fancy that for next year? 

19/06/2014 at 04:59

Jools - great 5000m debut - well done on going sub 19.
Abbers - nice lunchtime running as usual. Only virtual alarm calls for me.
Mennania - Oh no! Hope calfs improve soon.
PMJ - good work. Super fast mile on the horizon, I feel.
Poacher - sounds like Charleston girl can move then.
Guess how many miles today? Yes, 3 again! Last day in London till VLM 2015, I hope

19/06/2014 at 10:24

Quick GPS question. I can currently buy a Forerunner 220 for £149.59 (website says RRP is £220 and they have it at £176 and I have a 15% discount code). Anyone got views on this, anyone use one? As far as I can see it is like the 620 but no wifi or cadence an I can live without those.

19/06/2014 at 14:16

Careful with those calfs Menn.

Nice quick reps there PMJ. I have no experience of the 220, I have the more basic 110. Wouldn't have thought you can go too far wrong given the price reduction & discount code though?

Poacher, good news that Charleston Girl's training is paying dividends for her.

TR - think it's the case across the HCL. I see one team has only managed a single game so far out of the 6 scheduled! We have some availability issues this week too, so will be annoyed if we field a weak team on a rare sunny Saturday. Hope the juniors are enjoying the games they're able to get in. That's what it's all about after all.

Gul - do you ever have a lie in until, oh I don't know, about 5:30?

Thursday tempo run for me, and stepped up to 1-4-1. Deliberately ran the 4 a little slower to make sure I finished them, and aimed at 7m/m. Pleased to get round in 27:29, so just over 6:52m/m pace, or 90 min HM.

19/06/2014 at 14:34

Badbark, heal well! I don't understand why bleeding hemorrhoids aren't a massive septicemia risk - open wound + poo..?

Nothing to report here. Big family gathering at the weekend included a Spaniard who said 'I have a lot of snot behind my ears', meaning a stinking cold, which I have now got.  And I might do a half iron-man at end of the month.

19/06/2014 at 17:02

"there's way too much information in that report."

Don't listen to him, Badbark.  You know what they say about the devil being in the detail.  I loved every blood-soaked inch of it.  Perhaps we should conduct a poll?

Meantime, while you all consider whether or not future race reports should feature a broad selection of walnuts, here's another pointless and unanswerable question for you to ponder...

In attempting to ascertain what pace I should aim for in Sunday's half, I foolishly went out this morning and ran a so-called 'progressive' 5 miles.  It hurt, it felt horrible and at the end I had to lie down on the pavement to recover.  Yet the average pace was just a measly 7.32mm.

Anyway (and here comes the pointless and unanswerable bit), with no recent races of note, what pace do I strive for in the half marathon?  8mm gets 1:45, which would only be mildly embarrassing.  However, even that seemed a hopelessly optimistic target when I was lying on the pavement this morning.

In other news, with her post above, Marrows subtly reminds us all that if 'Bleeding Hemorrhoids' wasn't the name of a punk band, then perhaps it should have been.

19/06/2014 at 22:43

At least he didn't have a walnut behind his ear.

Chin up TAR, the training run will have made you fitter, go for 1.40-ish?

SJ - three runners attempted to do Jo'burg to Durban, i.e. 9 days of 87km followed by Comrades on the last day. One of them actually completed it.  Are you volunteering for next year? The damage it would do to the body is unthinkable

20/06/2014 at 06:28

PMJ - sorry, no experience of GPS watches at all.
Abbers - nice tempo run. Most Sundays I have a lie-in till about 7am - but not this weekend
TAR - I'd go for mildly embarrassing. Got to admire how you keep your sense of humour.
6 steady miles this morning - might break into double figures tomorrow.

20/06/2014 at 10:25

TAR - I would go for a progressive with reviews every 3 miles or so to check how you feel, Start off at 1.45 pace and then ramp it up as you go if all feels well.

Hilly 8 for me last night on my new adios 2s- felt good, no dramas.

PMJ - a lady on another thread has a 620 and loves the info. I am not sure if knowing my vertical oscillation is actually going to change anything. I am in the market for a new watch as It currently has a donor strap held together with hair bands.

20/06/2014 at 10:35

I got the 220.

20/06/2014 at 13:07

No Poacher. Road miles don't seem to like me at the moment.

I have just entered this though:

http://www.wasdalex.co.uk 

Hmmmmmmm 

20/06/2014 at 13:23

SJ: it's aw-inspiring rather than awe-inspiring, so I think they're only pretending it's tough.  Awww!

20/06/2014 at 13:25

make sure you let us know how you get on with it PMJ - would value your critique.

20/06/2014 at 13:29

Ha Jools. I spotted that too. I hope their organisation skills are better than their spelling abilities  

20/06/2014 at 14:35

Marrows - lovely translation, not so lovely to have caught the germs. Hope you're well soon. The 1/2 IM sounds like a good challenge. Is that something you have experience of?

TAR - Menn's suggestion seems sensible.

Gul - nicely done. What's happening this weekend then?

Menn - good run to break in the new shoes.

PMJ - sensible decision I would say. Have you tried it out yet?

SJ - ridiculous. Rather you than me, but best of luck with that!

Rest day for me.

20/06/2014 at 16:06
Abbers wrote (see)

PMJ - sensible decision I would say. Have you tried it out yet?

Sitting by the door waiting for post ...

7.5 miles at 7.5 pace today, uni visit tomorrow for daughter #3, slowly getting them all through al the parent duties: once we have all 4 in jobs, married and in homes of heir own I can concentrate on this running lark.

20/06/2014 at 16:31

SJ - what an absolute beast.  Althiough you could make the end of the mara harder by coming off Scafell Pike via Mickledore or traversing to Scafell up Lords Rake (environmental and safety considerations aside).

Looking forward to your race report....

8m d&d on the dreadie  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.