Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

36,761 to 36,780 of 37,176 messages
25/06/2014 at 05:52

CH - welcome back.
marrows - speedy mile - good luck with the 70.3, whatever that might be exactly!
Abbers - very sensible.
Poacher - shocking.
GM - are you sure you're not in the Caribbean or somewhere slightly more exotic than Jersey?
VTr - good luck with the fizz today.
OO - pleased to hear you're back out running.
4.5 mile recovery run d&d.

Edited: 25/06/2014 at 05:52
25/06/2014 at 07:22

OO, it just refers to the distance: 1.2mile swim + 56mile bike + 13.1mile run = 70.3miles (or half Ironman)

Poacher, I carry my nuts everywhere with me.

25/06/2014 at 07:29

Thanks SJ, one day perhaps...

Scorcher in Geneva today- lunchtime run could be melt down...

25/06/2014 at 07:36

30minx2 brick session last night followed by my usual 1hr loop on the bike this morning but in record time  (Those 2 minutes make all the difference)

25/06/2014 at 11:33

Gul - Hah, you could well be when the sun shines. The past two weeks or so have been very warm but feels even warmer as the usual SW prevailing wind has been missing. It's due to change tomorrow.  We are very fortunate that our place is approx 5 metres from the beach and it's very convenient for letting children burn off some energy and the parents get to chill, soak up the sunshine and the wine!

SJ - Sounds like you're enjoying your new wheels.

25/06/2014 at 15:55

SJ you are turning into a super hard tri warrior type. Scary

Ditto Marrows, good luck with that, just a training recce for the full IM

Is this a gym fail?  Woman on treadie raised to 15% incline, holding onto the bar and leaning backwards a long way, while walking uphill at 3kph. Anyone know any rhyme or reason for this?

8k D&D on treadie, got briefly up to 17kph, that'll teach Charleston Girl to slack at 11kph. Ha!

25/06/2014 at 16:57

GM, VTR, OO-51, Gul & Poacher all getting miles in the bank. Good to see some recent benchees getting back to it.

SJ - I'm assuming you're enjoying the new bike then?

No clue on the bizarre treadmill antics Poacher, but they're keeping us all amused! Maybe there's a local underground sect who read this forum and make it their goal to come up with new and strange ways to use a treadmill, just so you'll report it and they can see their work broadcast on the internet... there must be easier ways though.

Still nothing to report here, just more resting an icing. Hopefully a test jog tomorrow by way of a fitness test ahead of the weekend.

25/06/2014 at 17:59

GM, Abbers, yes the bike is great fun but needs a couple of tweaks to the set up to get it super comfy. It looks sexy though and that is more important.  The plan is to get about 10hrs of riding in this week. The seat is well padded thankfully.

Poacher, we are all warriors! What on Earth is going on in that gym??

Crash Hamster    pirate
25/06/2014 at 18:02

What ho!

Marrows, I'd just add 'pee just before you get out of the swim' to the list of HIM advice... and also 'if you start on coke, keep going on coke', otherwise you'll probably have a sugar crash and feel dreadful.

Otherwise love and hugs all round; I'm really not supposed to be here...

25/06/2014 at 18:47

I wondered why the water gets warmer towards the end of the swim Crash. I thought it was because I was working harder. 

25/06/2014 at 19:05

Another 3 miler tonight for me in the sunshine. Wanted to try run a little quicker tonight but not push it too much. Average pace 6:56mm and it felt comfortable. Think the rest did me good.

SJ - 10 hrs on the bike in a week. What does that comprise of in terms of mileage? Sounds like a lot of cycling to me but then I know nothing about cycling.

Poacher - Keep 'em coming, those gym fail tales. Nice pace there for your 8k.

Question for the wise ones on the thread. Does anyone run to HR as opposed to pace? Bumped into a friend of mine today who I haven't seen for a while and he recently ran Liverpool marathon for the 1st time using a HR monitor and did 2:49. His last 5 marathons have all been sub 3 but he said he never felt so comfortable before and actually felt great for the last 10k as opposed to having to hang on. Think he mentioned his average HR was 163.

25/06/2014 at 21:51

GM, I wouldn't put myself in the wise category, but I do train by HR. That's pretty much the whole thing with HADD training. Dialing in your effort zones and then doing the right amount of high vs low intensity training. Come race day you have a really good feel for where your lactate threshold is and how to stay just under it so you don't blow up. At least that's the idea in theory. I have a feeling most of you already know these zones by feel, but you might be surprised if you started following HR. For me it's a great metric of fitness too. And I can follow how my pace at a given HR tracks as I build up my aerobic engine. In general, my weekly marathon training looks essentially like this: 2 subLT runs (each ~13-15 miles with 10 miles at 80-85% of HRmax), a long run (can be LSR or a progressive depending on  the week), and the rest of the runs all at ~70% or less of maxHR. The subLT runs start around 80% and as you master them (even pace vs HR over the whole distance) you keep slowly increasing the HR you run for these. My 80% HR is 160. I tend to average ~163-166 for the whole marathon. Ideally, I would do the above training until I could do the marathon at 175ish...which would be about 87% of max. But then again, to do it I'd need to quit my job and probably triple my weekly mileage. Anyway, I've been at this for about 3 years now so slowly building fitness and getting faster.

Fizz says my left side is "jacked"! Hips not aligned (my major issue always). So got a plan together, got some good work done on the foot, and was reminded to think again about better heel to toe running (for the PF). 6 miles in soaking rain after and all feels pretty good. Definitely haven't shaken off the fatigue of marathon recovery plus recent stomach bug (which lingers on).

25/06/2014 at 21:58

. Double post

Edited: 25/06/2014 at 22:01
25/06/2014 at 22:34

VTR - Thanks for that info. I have no idea what my max HR is but am keen to experiment with some different things in the future. My last two marathons were ruined by injury and my next one is in October, so the priority is to get to the start line fit with a decent campaign behind me.

25/06/2014 at 23:13

GM, I used a HRM for a couple of years the info was interesting and useful, but after that I felt I wasn't learning anything new and don't wear one now. It's worth a try. I never tried threshold training, sounds like it needs a lot of discipline. Always worth trying something new but there are few miracle cures..

Another double day here, 11 miles over 2 runs. The week is back on track

26/06/2014 at 06:01

SJ - good PB.
GM - 5 metres from the beach sounds good. Can't help with the HR. Usually run to feel as I can't be sure of my pace either other than in retrospect.
Poacher - no explanation other than the heat.
Abbers - keep icing - hope there's some improvement soon.
VTr - at least you have a plan now!
OO - nice double double!
10 steady miles @ 7:38 m/m.

26/06/2014 at 09:41

00-51- nice double 

Gul- good paced 10 miler, back on track by the look of it.

Abbers - good-luck with the test jog

6.5 miles last night with 4x800m thrown in at around 3:07/lap after doing the first one far too hard (2:56) felt good too get some speed back and hammys were fine .

26/06/2014 at 10:06

VT, I applied a bit of Maffetone style HR training last year for IM training so pretty much nothing over 138 bpm but averaging around 12 hrs per week over the last 20weeks and I was certainly fitter than I'd ever been, felt fresh(ish) and stayed healthy so HR training worked very well for me. I was faster too but only downside was absolutely no top top end speed.  I've followed a similar approach this time too but sprinkled in some speed work here and there (only a bit though) to see what happens.

GM, that's a lot of biking for me - trying to a) get used to the new bike and b) overload a bit to bounce back in time for my race. That's the theory anyway.

26/06/2014 at 13:55

SJ - well, as long as it looks good...

GM - 3 miles at sub-7 without too much effort sounds OK to me.

VTR - do you have follow up trips to the fizz lined up?

OO-51 - nice double.

Gul - good steady miles.

Leslie - good news that the hammys stood up to the 800s.

So, 5 mile fitness test. Not 100%, but it's definitely improving. Still a little tight and the odd twinge, but should be fit enough to play on Saturday (weather permitting) especially as I won't then be doing anything until Wednesday through a combination of a short camping trip with the family and tickets for Wimbledon next Tuesday.

26/06/2014 at 14:57

1 mile track race yesterday. This was at Barnet Copthall where Shaftesbury Barnet Harriers meet so the track records are David Bedford, Anthony Whiteman
 and Julian Goater. The event was 11 graded races and I was in race 8. Splits were 1:18 (for 409 m), 1:17, 1:22 and 1:19 for 5:17.5. That third lap was a bit of a disappointment and I feel it was pacing errors so too fast early on, then a dip and then chase for home. The seeding was also not so good. It looks like my race was the last one before the real fast boys started so we had the "elite" ladies but it was obvious they were not so fast and luckily there was one other fast senior male who I pushed all the way and kept him honest and got me a good time too.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.