Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

36,761 to 36,780 of 38,251 messages
30/06/2014 at 21:20

TR, SJ, kind of like I stole it but would not make a good thief.

Yes GM it was my first try at that distance and Birch, that is the inside of the loo!  DT19 wrote about taking refuge in a portaloo for 20 minutes or so before VLM this year, and eating a banana while he sat in there, but I didn't see him at this race.

OK OK I wrote a race report. it's coming up.

30/06/2014 at 21:20

it's quite long

30/06/2014 at 21:22

Other half planned to abandon me for the weekend and I'd seen this thread offering free race entries, so I asked to do this one.  The distance seemed nicely on the edge of what I can tackle without specific training.  I heard I'd got the place with about 2 weeks to go.

No car, so on Saturday I travelled by train and bike to a B&B, arriving just in time to watch Brazil v Chile.  I do not understand or care about football so this was very relaxing, like 90 minutes of shipping news (plus extra time and penalties).  Also I had a bath, read about Victorian railway bridges, and ate soreen.  Quick snooze, then up at 3:45am for breakfast and another bike ride to race registration around 5am.  Everyone superbly equipped and fit-looking, one pregnant-looking but I didn't ask for confirmation.

30/06/2014 at 21:23

I failed to persuade the organisers to let me leave my wetsuit at home, though the water was 21C.  Boo.  There were 200 or so of us, all in a single wave.  I asked a canoeist what the best place was for not getting kicked in the face. She said 'hang back' and I thought 'screw that'.  Instead I resolved to enjoy being in this large shoal of clumsy rubber fish.  Got walloped? They're just being friendly! Now go find some feet to tickle! Swimming hard doesn't get me to the end much quicker, so I swam steady for about 37 minutes (someone was calling out times on the way out).

I allowed myself the luxury of socks to cycle in, and a little sit down in transition while I put them on.  Then out on to the bike course: mostly lovely rolling country roads, short nasty dual carriageway section into headwind livened up by people cheering.  I had borrowed clip-on aero bars, but didn't dare use them much.  To- and fro-ed with some chaps and passed a few women. One guy freewheeling: was he peeing? Towards the end I had a caffeine gel and put the not-quite-empty wrapper up my shorts. It oozed brown goo down my thigh.  If you find my race photos, that's not poo.  I also got ribena and snot all over my face and legs.  I looked forward to the uphills and getting out of the saddle to ease an achey lower back.  Think bike split was about 2:55 for 92km. To be honest I'd hoped to get round slightly quicker but .. OK.

30/06/2014 at 21:26

Off the bike, changed shoes, and discarded the gazillion gels I had not used.  This weekend's new and amusing leg malfunction was worn out adductors, making me feel that my bottom was waggling like a duck and I was not going forward.  1km in was a steep downhill stony track but I couldn't pick my cadence up to take advantage; then up to a gorgeous breezy ridge where I wobbled off the path and into the rut next to it.  2km in, I decided that SlokeyJoe or TR or whoever it was that said my legs would 'come back' to me was a big fat stinking liar.  3km in, my legs came back to me.  4km and I began looking for bushes to poo in, cursing my one-piece tri suit.  Not urgent, keep going.  5.2km was the end of lap one, three more to go. I overtook a few people and started to wonder whether I was far enough ahead for it to be worth pooping myself.  Decided probably not: it already looked as though I had done so, with that cola SIS trickle, but I was going home by bike & train, and there were no showers.  OK, not willing to poop self.. how about bushes? what degree of public exposure would I accept? And what if someone else was behind that likely-looking hedge? Luckily, things settled down and I never had to make these choices.  Got a look at the finish clock and timed lap 3, 24 minutes. OK, that would make 1:36ish for the run, and I was still picking people off, but my smug feeling was dented at start of lap 4 when a Chrissie Wellington lookalike flew past.  I asked her what lap she was on and she shouted 'It's a secret' - good answer.  Overtook and cheered a pirate, who said 'Arrr'.  Nearly there.. scamperscamper, remember light and strong, also fierce and mean.. the end, hurrah!

Someone tried to remove my timing chip and found that i had not put it on, assuming that the chip was embedded in the neoprene holder strap.  There was a nice big spread of fruit and chocolate thingies so I was dismayed by lack of appetite. jumped back in the lake to wash off ribena, snot, sweat, and gel for the benefit of my fellow train passengers, then put on my waterproofs because it started raining.

They gave lots of prizes so I got one for being 4th of 36 women and another for being 1st of 5 women my age, very nice but a damned nuisance carrying home the silverware and wine in my little rucksack!

30/06/2014 at 21:28

The end.

30/06/2014 at 21:56
Great report marrows, excellent effort.
30/06/2014 at 21:59
Although I did think it was going to sink to a Badbark style 'walnuts and all' report.
TR
30/06/2014 at 21:59

Marrows - you are a tough little nut with a decent sized pair, well done, a great read and you managed to keep it sufficiently numpty (which is what I try to do ) in a world of bling and expensive kit. You could be good. with a few more races under your belt.

30/06/2014 at 22:00

Nice report Marrows and well done 

30/06/2014 at 22:06

Fine reporting, marrows - congrats on bagging double booty ! 

30/06/2014 at 22:16

Marrows - Impressive 1st outing there really well done and enjoyed your report.

30/06/2014 at 22:20

Great report Marrows! I bet you didn't really mind carrying the booze and silverware home though.

30/06/2014 at 22:25

Oh Christ, I just read Badbark's report. I don't I'll sleep tonight 

30/06/2014 at 23:22

Some reports certainly pile in a lot of detail

30/06/2014 at 23:37

Great performnce merits a great report- well done Marrows

01/07/2014 at 06:50

Super stuff Marrows More to come in the future? 

01/07/2014 at 08:05
Well done Marrows. V much enjoyed your report!
01/07/2014 at 12:21

Marrows - congratulations on a fabulous effort - nice report too.
No running so far this week and I've been off-line too. My mum had a hip replacement last week and came home at the weekend. She's doing well, but I've been staying at her house so she's not on her own.

01/07/2014 at 14:05

Good luck to your mum Gul- but I'm really surprised you are not out during the night, running while she sleeps...

Beautiful day here, warm with light breeze. Gentle 5 miler in prep. for 10km race tomorrow evening. Tynedale 10k is a nice race along the river banks Ovingham to Wylam. I'm going to try for a sub 37m (38.30 last year), and Junior is in the hunt for a PB- I think she might break 42, but lets see. Don't suppose you are dong this Minni?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.