Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

381 to 400 of 37,873 messages
13/12/2010 at 15:09

Was this you Lunarman?

http://www.thevault.cx/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/poo-while-running.bmp

13/12/2010 at 15:12
luna man wrote (see)

The other thing that worked in the autumn was returning to running a 23-24 miler at slow pace - time on feet kind of thing. That was missing in the faster spring running, and I'm sure it helps.

Care to expand? What pace is slow for you and how long would these runs take you? Do you take on board fuel during these runs or not?

13/12/2010 at 15:22

What's all this with you lot being so knowledgeable on your Bard quotes. I might be able to contribute if we were doing Peter and Jane (do they still exist or are they too horribly 1950s middle class now ??) or something a bit more basic. First prize (as ever) to Band B

Why was that chap trying to eat oxtail soup while running Keir ? No wonder everyone's staring at him. A hot beverage in those conditions is evidence of insanity

I'll ask Mickey and Donald to come and visit you in your dreams then Poacher. Clearly you were enchanted by their charms !

13/12/2010 at 15:25

Damn those pesky race photographers, popping up just when you don't need them! No, thank goodness, Brussels is full of woods and leaves, it's just that I didn't spot the tramline 2 metres away!

MM -  the FIRST schedules have you running your long runs at faster paces than most of us might otherwise do them for a 3:15, culminating in a 20 miler three weeks out at MP + 15s, which is hard. So none of them have you out training for the length of time you predict to run the marathon in. Maybe it's psychological, but being on my feet for 3 hours 10 during a slower 24 miler in autumn training just seemed reassuring. It's hard to know what truly 'works' of course, as there are so many other factors.

Pre-FIRST, and again now, LSR pace would be 8:20 - 8:40 mm, depending on terrain. Fuelling wise I never eat before the LSR, usually running early morning, but take a couple of gels, jelly babies, or oat bars if I'm going slowly on a trail route. In Brussels I don't think I took on board any fuel during the race, I was just a little bit nervous after the haf way pit stop!

13/12/2010 at 16:53

Any of you kind ladies or gentleman run in or have run in the Mizuno Wave Precision 11?

Edited: 13/12/2010 at 16:53
13/12/2010 at 17:39
Keir - by the look on that guys face, you know it smells baaaad too!
13/12/2010 at 17:55

You have to admire the comitment to keep going or perhaps he was just desperately trying to get away from all those people pointing at him.  Definately encourages you to hit the immodium before the next marathon

My biggest fear for my 1st marathon was needing a pit-stop.  Thankfully it was never an issue and hopefully this is down to my finely honed pre-race food strategy rather than luck 

Welcome lunaman.

Day 1 of my VLM2011 18-week schedule and I'm ahead of schedule already  Have to head in to London tomorrow and won't have time to run, so did a 6 mile treadmill recovery today instead.

13/12/2010 at 18:12

I take 2 capsules of Immodium 1 hr before the marathon so I never have to worry about the issue affecting the bloke above, lol

13/12/2010 at 18:25

Great to see my favourite picture returning to the thread...

Rest day for me today, as tomorrow's case has settled so I will be able to do a proper run in the daylight!

13/12/2010 at 18:39
That picture shows that it is really important to get your fuelling strategy right. Wonder if he went through the same scenario on his long runs?

Day one of P&D for me today. 14.5kms(9 miles) with 6.5kms(4miles) at HM/15km pace. As I've got a really soft HM time, I started the schedule fairly carefully with an avg. of 6.50m/m for the tempo section. Oh well - off and running now. Only 17 weeks and 6 days to go
13/12/2010 at 18:46

Welcome luna man!

I ran a marathon last year using the FIRST schedule and I faded very badly over the last few miles. I know some people like it but it certainly didn’t work for me and I’ll never touch it again. The 3 marathons I ran this year were all off about 50+ average miles, all PB’s and all negative splits. I also had less niggles with the higher but slower miles than I did with FIRST schedules.

Moraghan’s views on FIRST are very strong!

13/12/2010 at 19:07

In my own case, I'd never had any stomach problems before, so it was a real surprise. I blame the cheesy pasta from my sister the night before, and lots of downhill. Fortunately it wasn't the end of the world, as long as there are leaves (or loos) around. Two minutes lost (timed on the GPS!) and I still negative splitted / splat (?!).

Sorry to hear about your experience Badbark. I faded badly too, but know that was because I did nowhere near enough cross training to gain a good endurance base. I just had to look to the duathletes/triathletes who were running much faster than me with lower running mileage to realise that. 

Interesting about paces and niggles - I think I run with better form at higher paces, so I found the reverse. I was trying the Hadd route in Jan 2010, slowing it right down, and came down with shinsplints. I'd been running happily 50 mpw in a previous year but all hilly off-road stuff, which is surely where we're all intended to run - after all there are so many more woods to hunker down in

Anyway, apologies, this is all about running atm!

13/12/2010 at 19:18

Yes, don't get me started.....FIRST = boil in the bag marathoning and it doesn't belong on a thread full of dedicated runners.  Although I understand the FIRST book is a fair bit different than the FIRST schedules on here, which are extremely poor. 

RSalter - I'm using them at the moment.  I had to cut away some of the shoe around the right ankle bone because it was too high - although this has been a problem for me in the past with tennis shoes.  I'm pretty underwhelmed all round by them.  They are just about serviceable as a fairly light weight trainer for slow stuff.  Sorry, it that isn't helpful!

Edited: 13/12/2010 at 19:19
13/12/2010 at 19:45

Could that chap borrow your hat mm. He promises to return it good as new

I seem to be fairly lucky as far as anal explosions go. As long as I get a good few pre race visits in to the small room it all seems to behave. There. I'm sure you all wanted to know that

Re - shoes - does anyone here use lighter shoes for shorter races. Is it kid-ology at our level d'you think or does every little help ? I over pronate and have used Nike Structure Triaxx for ages (with my trusty orthotics). Am slightly scared of swapping and stirring up previous knee problems. What's the general consensus. Overall I have to say I'm not that into spending crazy amounts on all sorts of daft trainers but maybe I'm being too head-in-the-sand about it

13/12/2010 at 20:01
FW I have three pairs of lightweight shoes: Nike marathoners Nike Mayfly and Sauconys (forgot model name). I use the marathoners when racing now as a lightweight shoe but the free Adidas shoes I got for the SSX comp - Supernova stability trainers - I used for my 10k pb. At the the time I wasn't going for a pb but I guess fitness matters at our level more than trainers
13/12/2010 at 20:09

Hi Moraghan,

It's the book I used. I don't know the schedules on here, so can't really comment, I should probably take a look at them. Likewise, you'd need to take a look at the book really before forming an opinion. To save you the bother, it has an awful lot of flaws, but is a good starting point for anyone who:

1. is injury prone when running higher mileage
  2. is a duathlete/triathlete or 
  3. just enjoys cross-training

After a year with it, all I can conclude is that people who can't run more than 40-50mpw due to injury or other sporting commitments shouldn't feel frightened into thinking that they can't run marathon times in this pretty modest range of 3:15 to 2:59 (modest for men that is).

13/12/2010 at 20:17

Shoes - I use Muzano Wave Inspire - for moderate over pronators. I bought a pair of Wave Excelciour (r something like that) cause they were on sale and were meant to be quite light. But they have too much pronation support and I don't like them.

I have used orthotics since June and they seem fine with the Wave Inspires, but I will get a gait analysis done again, this time with them in, as I have been told that with orthotics I should be buying neutral shoes.

I have recently bought some Adizero tempos for faster stuff. Certainly they feel light and fast. I will use them for the 10k, with orthotics to see how I get on.

Edit - Not Wave Excelciour - Wave Alcameys! Thanks BOTF!

Edited: 13/12/2010 at 20:39
13/12/2010 at 20:28
I bought a pair Mizuno Alchemy 9's last month and they are okay, but next pair I'm going to go back ot the Nike Triax as they have been the best shoe for me I think so far - but it's good to experiment a long the way. A lot of the shoes I tried on in the shop gave me very similar heel strikes, so I went for the Mizuno's as they felt the most comfortable and were the right width on my feet. It's amazing the difference in other shoe manufacturers with one shoe being too long and the right width and yet another make it the right length, but too tight.
13/12/2010 at 20:50

Knight Rider.. you have my vote fella.  You have been around this thread for a fair while which counts for a lot IMHO.  Very best of luck and if you do win please bring me back a nice fresh baguette

BTW I like the Triax too though my current faves (in decent non-slip weather) are the Lunar Racers. Light as a feather and as comfy as slippers. 

13/12/2010 at 21:22
Cheers Wardie, got my fingers crossed. I'll bring you back some frsh baguette, althoug I doubt it will be fresh on return to Blighty.
381 to 400 of 37,873 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.