Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

44,221 to 44,240 of 45,432 messages
16/02/2016 at 09:06

Bike It, I'll be at VMLM16 as well, starting from Red Fast GFA pen (yey! first time!). Goal will be sub 3:15  - I've managed this once (in seven attempts) to get GFA, so want to repeat this (or maybe even better if at all possible)

16/02/2016 at 09:22

Morning all,

Far, far too much going on in here! It's a full time occupation trying to keep up with everyone's exploits at this time of year. Well done to racers, long runners, cyclists and especially to BB on what looks like being a truly impressive scar. Good luck with the results. And hopefully Speedy's first day back at work wasn't too horrendous.

Rather more mundane training going on here, given that I'm not aiming at a spring mara. An hour on the turbo on Saturday, 12 miles early Sunday, and 6.5 easy yesterday.

16/02/2016 at 12:17

6th March - Vaal -BI - catered LSR or sub 3:20 if cool conditions
3rd April - TAUNTON - Hilly -  Do the best I can on the day
10th April - MANCHESTER - SJ- sub 3.15 (if can get some miles in) Run-walk experiment
10th April - MANCHESTER - Gerard - No fixed time goal as yet, the training in the next few months will determine that.
10th April - MANCHESTER - Poacher - tba
10th April - MANCHESTER - knight rider - sub 3
18th April - BOSTON - VTrunner - sub3:15 hopefully (but training conditions may dictate); have fun above all else though.
18th April - BOSTON - MsE - sub-2:55 (if I can work out how to run downhill better)
24th April - VMLM16 - Joolska - 2.44 - 2.48
24th April - VMLM16 - PhilipMJones - sub-3 if possible, if not enjoy it.
24th April - VMLM16 - G-Dawg - Just enjoy my first GFA. Probably be too warm for sub-3.13 (PB)
24th April - VMLM16 - Lorenzo - aiming for sub-3 at the moment but will take stock closer to the time
24th April - VMLM16 - Freemers - undecided on time goal but will enjoy the champ start I hope and not disgrace myself
24th April - VLM16 - Poacher - tba
24th May - VLM16 - Rodeoflip - Sub-3:15
2nd May – Belfast Marathon – Badbark - I just want to finish since it will be only 5 weeks after a 6 week lay off.  
21st May - White Peak - Gul Darr - target is to not end up with yet another disastrous positive split! Oh, and to finish with knees in one piece
29th May - Comrades - BI - sub-9

16/02/2016 at 13:59

Just a quick update. Had a couple of days rest with plenty of roller, stretching, nurofen and direct pressure treatment with a tennis ball to help the sore glute. Seems to be helping.

Wasn't sure if I should run today or not, ended up being frustrated and thought stuff it! Went for what turned out to be a 5 mile tempo at 6.53 pace. Strangely the glute felt better the faster I went.

Will give it all a good stretch later ( I think it's a piriformis issue) and then flex it out during tonight's spinning class.

GD

16/02/2016 at 17:43

BB that will be a scar of honour. Careful on that bike though. Reculer pour mieux sauter and all that.  Take care too GD.

Lorenzo - I crunched a few numbers a while back and looked at the half way splits of everyone who ran 2.59.00 - 2.59.59 in London over a couple of years. It turns out that neg and even splits are extremely rare. The statistically proven way is to do 1.27-1.28.30 for the first half.  So time in the bank is the way to go.

VT - Boston is a blast, a challenging course but the Newton hills aren't actually all that steep. You are right about the weather though, 2012 was hell at 30+ degrees.

No running for a couple of days, but built a field drain which must count as a good workout.

Hilly - have you done the Lyme Park PR?  Lovely part of the world but, err, hilly.

16/02/2016 at 17:49

Poacher - no that's one I've not done yet.  I've heard it's very hilly and one maybe for summer as a very muddy xc course?

G-Dawg - sounds positive that it didn't get worse on your run.  My other half has similar issues with glute/lower back/hamstring tightness/pain and finds it feels better after a faster run.  Maybe because it's stretching everything out?

rodeoflip - I'm sure you'll enjoy the GFA start. All these things are always exciting the first time round.

16/02/2016 at 20:16
Poacher wrote (see)

Hilly - have you done the Lyme Park PR?  Lovely part of the world but, err, hilly.

I've done it once and plan a few more: my brother lives just over the hill in Buxton. Half thought about running back afterwards as well: the old road over the hills makes it about 10 miles.

16/02/2016 at 21:46

Poacher - thanks. I'm definitely going to have to see how I get on at Hampton Court on Sunday. My HM PB is only 1:26:30 so I'll have to be getting under that if I want to get to halfway at London in 1:28:xx and still feel up to running sub 7 min miles for another 13 miles!

G-Dawg - glad to hear that your glute is feeling better.

Freemers - have you signed up for Cranleigh yet? Great value at £12!!!

Did anyone else get an email from the VMLM organisers saying that their number had changed as they've have to move some runners to a different start due to the large number qualifying with a GFA time? Very odd. 

Rest day today to give my heel a bit of respite - took advantage of taking younger Lorenzito to the physio this morning for me to have a quick 2 min consultation about it and he seemed pretty relaxed about it and said I should be OK continuing to run on it even it was the dreaded PF. Far more positive than Dr Google was when I made the mistake of looking on the Interweb last night.

Planning on another commuting double tomorrow.

17/02/2016 at 00:59

Lorenzo -I hope they don't decide to move up the GFA time due to too many people making the grade ...

17/02/2016 at 07:08

rodeoflip - well done on getting a GFA fast start pen.
Abbers - nicely ticking over.
GD - good news, but be careful!
Poacher - good drainage work.
Lorenzo - good news for you too.
Leslie - I had the same thought...
9 miles plus a haricut this morning. Included 5 miles @ 6:44 m/m.

17/02/2016 at 08:44

Lorenzo, I got the same email. I contacted them and they gave me my new number and told me where I'd be starting from. I had the same thought - if more people are achieving GFA then perhaps this reduces the number of "ordinary" / charity places available, it's not hard to imagine that the GFA times might become tougher in the future.

PF isn't much fun, I've been struggling with it for over a year now. Tried everything, nothing works. Having to suck it up for the next couple of months, then I may even try the revolutionary step of resting it properly and see if it heals. Two marathons to run before that happens, though (London & R&R Liverpool).

And yes, I'm looking forward to the GFA start line. I ran my nads off last year trying to qualify for GFA, now I'm just a bit worried that standing on the start line, I'm going to be surrounded by super-fit, serious, capable runners who're going to make me feel a bit inferior.

17/02/2016 at 09:11

I've changed numbers too. Also thinking that GFA might become tougher in future. Maybe they will finally make it as tough for women as for men!  Not holding breath though...

Lyme Park: I live 5m away and sometimes run there but always seem to end up at Marple PR. The attraction of Lyme Park for (some) ladies is the delicious memory of Colin Firth emerging from the lake in his wet trousers in TV's Pride and Pred. adaptation.

Rodeo - don't worry about GFA. Plenty of us are neither very fit nor very serious.  A few years back there was a guy in a 7ft tall runner bean costume starting from GFA alongside Darth Vader. Last year there was a fella in a neon green mankini.  It takes all sorts.

17/02/2016 at 09:23

Thanks Poacher, good to know.

And I suspect VMLM won't apply the principle of equality to GFA times, not while there's so many more men than women achieving them.

17/02/2016 at 09:50

Rodeoflip - well done on hte FGFA place....and don't worry about feeling out of place! You have earned that place, enjoy it .  I'm similar - running off the blue champ start and definitely will be one of the slowest based on my qualifying time, but I earned it .

Do you think there are more men getting GFA times?  I'm not so sure, I think the women's times are softer (I agree with you Poacher!).  But I definitely think they will make them harder for next year.

Gul - was that a haircut in the middle of your run?

G-dawg - hope the glute is behaving itself. 

Lorenzo - yep, I've sorted my Cranleigh entry.  I agree, excellent value, particularly as you can decide which distance to run on the day.  Although strangely I have never been tempted to stop after 15....

Short tempo session yesterday and a few miles steady a bit later today. 

Oh, and I happened to wander past the London Marathon store on Bishopsgate in London yesterday, blasting out the BBC theme music.  Always a good feeling....

17/02/2016 at 10:06

I agree that the women's times are (much) softer, there's a huge difference between the target for men and the target for women for all age groups.

But when you look at the GFA starting area, you see more men there than women (at least, that's been my experience).

17/02/2016 at 11:28

I think the GFA start is divided into GFA and FGFA.  Most women capable of FGFA would be on the champs start, as a champs time is 3.15 for women.  I think it should be the same age-graded time for both men and women.

17/02/2016 at 11:36

I'm not sure about men and women having exactly the same qualification time, but that would be genuine equality in sports, which would be a first!

17/02/2016 at 12:31

Women are very rare on FGFA. I think one of the few remaining areas of inequality is that men have decathlon and women heptathlon. But I recall hearing that when asked, leading heptathletes showed no desire to take on another 3 events and were keen to stay at 7.  Decathlon also means learning to pole vault which must be quite hard work.

Not sure about cycling but there used to be more/different events for men than women, which was why Hoy could compete for more medals than Pendleton.

Chopping firewood. Does that count as X-training?

17/02/2016 at 14:14

Poacher - digging field drains, chopping wood... have you been watching Rocky and adopting the manual labour training regime?

GD - look after that glute.

Gul - nice quicker miles there. A result of being more streamlined post-haircut?

Freemers - could be a soggy one if you're out later, just to make a change!

6.5 yesterday including a bit of a tempo session, 4 miles at sub-7 as I didn't fancy the usual Tuesday intervals and speed endurance is more of a weakness than basic speed. Then a mile in the pool today, with (hopefully) an hour on the turbo this evening.

17/02/2016 at 15:59
Poacher wrote (see)

Women are very rare on FGFA. I think one of the few remaining areas of inequality is that men have decathlon and women heptathlon. But I recall hearing that when asked, leading heptathletes showed no desire to take on another 3 events and were keen to stay at 7.  Decathlon also means learning to pole vault which must be quite hard work.

Not sure about cycling but there used to be more/different events for men than women, which was why Hoy could compete for more medals than Pendleton.

Chopping firewood. Does that count as X-training?

Cross Country is another. Why on earth are most of the ladies XC races shorter than the men’s?    

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.