Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

44,301 to 44,320 of 45,809 messages
24/02/2016 at 09:45

Great HM’s from Jools and Moof, and plenty of good training runs completed by the rest. I’m so jealous! It’s 2 weeks now without running and it’s torture. Thankfully from tomorrow I’m allowed to cycle.

My 100 press up challenge has crumbled, as I couldn’t even manage day 1 of week 2. I’m just going to repeat each day until I complete it, and see how many I can do on my running return day. 

I’m also doing a 200 squat challenge which is proving much easier. I jumped in on week 4 of 6 and I’m still finding the schedule easy. I think I’ll shoot for a few more than 200 to make up for my press-up wimpy-ness.

The Last One Standing race was at the weekend which I was sorry to miss. 104 people started and the eventual winner had to run for 30 hours for victory. It has inspired me to book a 100k on June 11th and 12 hour race on June 25th.

I start back running on the 24th March so have 11 weeks before the 100k. Madbark shall return!  

24/02/2016 at 10:07

Badbark - I heard you got a mention on MT last week.  At least I assume there wasn't anyone else running 50 miles the day before having a large amount of skin removed...

GD - that is a very swift 10 miler.  You must be happy with how your speed endurance sessions are going.

PMJ - nice 5k-ish. 

Intervals later today.  I'm going to mix it up a bit and do some shorter faster reps - probably 16 x 200m.  Hopefully won't fall off the back of the treadmill...

24/02/2016 at 10:08

GD, good 10 miler there. Do you think the rest helps a lot? I tend to come back strong after a rest.

Met up with CHS (formerly of this parish) at lunchtime yesterday, just a quick shout out if he pops back in over the next day or so.

24/02/2016 at 11:20

So much good running going on.  Moof that looks good for a sub 3.

Madbark you still need to take care for a while...

I finally feel that a little bit of rhythm is returning, but 6 months too late to make any difference in a spring mara. Also got to go back to the gym from hell in March so Manchester is going to be a catered LSR. Strategy now must be to get ready for the White Peak smackdown. Guy you had better get working... 

24/02/2016 at 11:36

PMJ - The coach at the local club asked me last week when was the last time I had a decent rest? The answer was, just before before Christmas. He believes in letting the body recover for a few days and then kicking on. I think he's right.

I've noticed this in the past but us runners get so focussed sometimes that we believe a group of days off is a group of runs missed.

I'm planning on a similar rest period going into the Surrey Half in a few weeks.

GD

24/02/2016 at 12:17

GD, odd this comes up. I used to be a 6 runs a week guy, with 5 runs weekdays and one of Saturday or Sunday. Since Jan 21st I have not had a day off, so the normal 5 weekday runs plus parkrun plus a Sunday long run. Seeing how we are nearing the end of Feb I think I will carry on to complete the full month but then get back to a rest day each week in March. It really is parkrun that messes stuff up: I don't like missing parkrun and I don't lie missing my long run: I should really combine them so a couple of miles warm up, then parkrun, then 10 to 15 cool down.

24/02/2016 at 13:43

Great result from Wokingham for Jools and Moof.

2 very bad runs here leaves me thinking I may be due a rest.  Yesterday's MLR attempt dropped to 10m/m before I aborted at 15km and today's run left me walking.  I'm not convinced I have recovered from this marathon attempt, which means I'm slower than I thought and the illness I had over the weekend may still have some effect.  Or maybe just allergy to the 'colour run'

24/02/2016 at 13:56

Crikey PMJ, you might break sped limits after having a decent rest soon!

Managed a 5 miler at lunchtime. 7.14 pace all the way as nice follow-up to last night. A few injury niggles but I got away with it. Onwards!

GD

24/02/2016 at 14:54

Eddie Izzard began his marathon at 06:30 local time.
At around 1500 local time, Sport Relief tweeted: "Marathon one DONE by the astonishing @eddieizzard".

Definitely the word "completing" is a fair one to use, not running by any stretch of the imagination.

The 54-year-old tweeted a photo of himself standing by the Mbashe river in South Africa's Eastern Cape province as he began his marathon at 06:30 local time.

But a few hours later, Sport Relief themselves tweeted: "16 miles done and a little work on the feet needed," with a picture of Izzard taking a short break.

At around 1500 local time (1300 GMT), Sport Relief tweeted: "Marathon one DONE by the astonishing @eddieizzard".

24/02/2016 at 16:37

Badbark -100k is a bloody long way for a comeback when you don't know if you will be able to run ok yet !

Freemers- I trust you didn't fall off the dreadmill 

Poacher- show em how its done .

Bikeit - take some rest if you need it.

G-dawg- most people have the odd easy day to recover 

PMJ- Eddie knows a thing or 2 about mara's and has another 26 to go in 26 days in 30c heat so best take it easy !

Edited: 24/02/2016 at 16:39
24/02/2016 at 16:46

The problem I have with the Izzard is that he's not a marathon runner per se.

I've had people (non-runners) belittle the exploits of ourselves by stating how great a 'runner' Eddie is compared to my single day efforts.

What he does is cover 26 miles per day taking three times longer to do it than most actual runners. However, that's still a fantastic feat of mind over matter and I admire his gumption for doing it, I wholeheartedly applaud his efforts.

I just get annoyed that people not necessarily in the know can't draw the distinction between the two completely different events.

GD    *climbs off soapbox*

24/02/2016 at 18:31

BI, I think you need a rest. You've had a double whammy: not recovered from that intense marathon effort (which pretty much gutted you due to conditions) and then you got very sick. I think you should stick to very easy efforts for a little while (maybe shorter too) until you feel your normal strength return. Hang in there as I'm sure it's literally just a matter of time. Extra sleep would be very helpful (even if only a pipe dream!).

GD, easy does it.

Freemers, how did the 200s go? I train by HADD and there is a workout involving 200s that I have considered doing. You've got me thinking about it again.

Yesterday 7 miles w/11 striders. Today pissing down freezing rain so despite legs feeling tingly to get a run in may have to pass.

24/02/2016 at 21:59

Great time moof you must be feeling confident after that. Great pacing Jools, as you say, plenty time for the last 5k slow up.

Quiet week here, just clicking up miles for a 50+

25/02/2016 at 00:11

7 miles in UK-like weather here (just hovering above freezing and pouring rain). Had to cut it short because my fingers became painfully cold. So sets me up for a nice LR (shorter version during cutback) for tomorrow. I like getting those out of the way before the weekend.

25/02/2016 at 08:31

I think what Eddie Izzard is doing is great personally.  I don't really care if people think my achievements are any less from a physical perspective, as I'm not doing what I do for anyone else....and the profile he has and the good he can do with the fund raising can't be questionned.  And I for one couldn't put one foot in front of the other for 26 miles every day for how ever many days.  My OH, on the other hand thinks you haven't "done" a amarathon if you walk for even a single step....

Soo the 200m reps - really enjoyed them but to be honest I think I took them too easy.  I was a bit wary as I think doing them on the TM means I am careful not to push the speed too much in case I fall off the back (and of course no one ever attaches themselves to the emergency stop do they?).  So the pace ranged from 16 to 16.5kph, which I know isn't that quick to many of you speed merchants but I've never run a mile in under 6 minutes before to quick enough to be getting on with.  I was enjoying myself so much I ended up doing 20 reps .  Not the sort of session I would do every week but it helped mix things up a bit.

25/02/2016 at 08:53

Couldn't have been doing them right if you enjoyed them so much you added more, Freemers!
Only joking, nice going and great mental discipline to be able a few more that are the ones that make the difference.

Just heard Eddie Izzard on the radio talking to Chris Evans. Don't get me wrong, I also think he's doing a fantastic job. He's on his third day (I won't call t a marathon ) and he's suffering with the heat, sunburn and a nasty blister. He's jogging/walking while holding a flag in one hand and an umbrella in the other.

Interesting how he said he can't wait for day ten as his body will have adjusted by then and it will seem easier. I guess that's what happens to runners during a marathon training campaign?

Track for me tonight. Haven't a clue what the session is.

GD

25/02/2016 at 08:57

I remember watching the programme Eddie did a few years ago when he was running those marathons all over the UK, and it was the same then at about day 10 when his body just got used to it.  Not something I will every be trying!

The good thing about 200m reps is each one is over so quickly you barely notice them

25/02/2016 at 09:07

This started this morning about 6 miles from me. I'm well jealous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/watch/bp-lindseys-sport-relief-challenge#car

25/02/2016 at 09:37

That can be a rough bit of water - If she gets seasick does it just slosh about inside the cylinder for the rest of the trip??  

25/02/2016 at 09:42

BTW I see that the world HM championship in Cardiff is only a month away, but apparently not full. You would think people would jump at the chance to run a fast flat one with elites leading the way.   Perhaps the lack of interest is due to the eye watering price of £54 affiliated and £59 unaffiliated.  Outrageous!

Edited: 25/02/2016 at 09:42
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.