Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

8,881 to 8,900 of 37,704 messages
27/06/2011 at 19:02
Martin H wrote (see)

Good luck in the USA PMJ.  Could it be a first race win?

MartinH, a win would be sweet but the main aim is keeping the training and racing sharp for a track 5k on the 9th July. At the moment I am more than happy to take PBs as opposed to wins, and I am racing better in faster races with strong runners round me than I am in small local races,

Joolska wrote (see)

Afraid (to BOTF and others commenting on my 'just 50M') that I need high mileage to run well.  60mpw seems to be my mileage 'sweet spot' for endurance, and although I'm concentrating on halves at the moment, they still take endurance!

I am doing halves from the other end, a longish run once a week but the majority is just short speed work and a lot of raced 5ks with total miles about 35-40. I have two things in my favour: a marathon about 2 months ago so endurance has not deserted me and the fact that the half is a local race with a big hill so no PB potential at all so it isn't a serious race for me. Long serious races start again in the early autumn.
27/06/2011 at 20:24
PMJ wrote: At the moment I am more than happy to take PBs as opposed to wins, and I am racing better in faster races with strong runners round me than I am in small local races

- Considering your fretting over your park run, I don't believe you!

How long are your MLRs Fraser. Also, what are you doing for doubles on Friday and Sunday? From what I remember you do your LSR on Monday.

Martin I hope you are carefully tapering ready to smack down MM
27/06/2011 at 21:19
PMJ - I reckon that you are like me. As soon as you get a number on your vest you go into full on race mode. Nothing wrong with it and at moment I'd take a park run win with a slow time over a 2 sec PB.

Keir - a hot 6 miles tonight at average 7.30 ish pace. Easy run tomorrow then see what happens on Wednesday. I have a soft 5 mile PB from my first ever race so should come away with at least a new one even if beaten by MM.
27/06/2011 at 21:24
Sorry SJ, but I really did laugh out loud. Your retelling of the story is just perfect!

KR - only in my head - a couple of drinks at the Combichrist gig on Saturday night and two sports massages.

Rather handily, my EA Competition Licence arrived today. I can now apply for my champs place for next year's VLM.
27/06/2011 at 21:59
Keir wrote (see)
Considering your fretting over your park run, I don't believe you!  

Martin H wrote (see)
PMJ - I reckon that you are like me. As soon as you get a number on your vest you go into full on race mode. Nothing wrong with it and at moment I'd take a park run win with a slow time over a 2 sec PB.

Am I that transparent? Yes, a parkrun win I would take as opposed to a PB but one will come one day: one of our juniors won the ladies this week and another came second in the mens last week.

But seriously, a 60 minute 10 miler at cabbage patch which woudl be 84th last year would be the best way to put a smile on my face.

27/06/2011 at 22:59

Keir - My week is Mon easy/Tues long/ Wed easy/Thur off/ Fri easy am,quality pm/ Sat easy/ Sun easy am,quality pm. The doubles are hence on days with quality in the afternoon/eve. MLR about 14 on Fri or Sun

I think strong runners around you in races realy pulls you along. Must be tedious winning them all the time and never really pushing yourself

28/06/2011 at 08:45
FW - nice start to your campaign.
Despite all the thunderstorm forecasts, I managed to remain mostly dry this morning on my 14 miler. 7 miles out @ 9:15m/m and 7 miles back @ 8:30 m/m. Although that was what I roughly had in mind, I must say my legs are still feeling a bit sluggish. Hope they improve for this week's speedier session on Thursday (rest tomorrow).
28/06/2011 at 08:56
I agree Fraser. It must be terrible to be so good you win all the time. Seems we have a similar program, just different days of the week. Also your runs are a bit faster than mine and weekly totals a little higher.

Woke early this morning so made the most of the lovely morning to go out for 8 hilly miles over the downs. Feel inspired for the day now

A question for the fred wise ones. I am doing a fast HM 3 wks out from Abingdon then starting to taper. Has worked for me before. I had planned a 15m LSR on the Sunday 2 wks out, but there is a local duathlon - 10k run, 40k bike, 5k run. Would this be too much to do 2 wks out or would it be ideal prep for the marathon (bit of speed work and around similar time (2hrs) to the 15m LSR.
28/06/2011 at 09:16
Keir - not being a wise one, I'll pass.
Forgot to mention the highlight of my run - light from the sunrise on the moon, low in the sky. Breathtaking.
28/06/2011 at 09:30
x - post. Don't be disheartened Gul. You hit the target / purpose of the session. Tired legs just mean that the training is working. Hopefully a days rest will help refresh them enough to hit the target pace for the speedier session on Thurs, but will probably still not feel really great.

Sun rise / moon set sounds beautiful. Someone once described seeing the same to me in the middle of the desert.
28/06/2011 at 09:33

Hmm. This is a bit embarrassing, but it's the wrong phase of the moon at the moment. I guess that was the sun   I could have sworn it was the moon...
Thanks, Keir. Not really disheartened, just not looking forward to Thursday as much as I might have done!

28/06/2011 at 09:56

Keir - I think that's too fast too close to Abo personally. Taper should be just that - winding down with no pressure physically or psychologically. Too risky !

Lovely sunny day up here - hurrah- looking forward to 20 easy miles this aft

28/06/2011 at 10:05
Keir wrote (see)
 A question for the fred wise ones. I am doing a fast HM 3 wks out from Abingdon then starting to taper. Has worked for me before. I had planned a 15m LSR on the Sunday 2 wks out, but there is a local duathlon - 10k run, 40k bike, 5k run. Would this be too much to do 2 wks out or would it be ideal prep for the marathon (bit of speed work and around similar time (2hrs) to the 15m LSR.

I think the issue here would be how hard you hit the duathlon.

A HM three weeks out is OK I'd say. I did a full bore half and then 2 weeks later I did a 20 miler at 6:45 pace so I knew that 6:52 was doable.  Between those I did a whole bunch of miles at MP with no ill effect. 

I did a 21 3 weeks out and from then afterwards it was all tapering down with a 14 mile MLR 16 days out  (7 m/m) and 3 5k races in the weeks before. 

I think if you don't hit it too hard and you keep the rest of the week light then you can do that: just make sure that you get the miles right. If you count the duathlon as 15k and make it up to the taper miles and ignore the 40k bike I think it will be too much. If you count it as a 15 mile run then it will be OK.

28/06/2011 at 10:39
Keir, so two replies and two different answers. If you want more replies to give you more options, just wait a few minutes. Personally I had no issues with racing hard during the taper over shorter distances. I think both FW and myself are saying to cut down in the taper, our views of how to cut down are jsut somewhat different.
28/06/2011 at 10:49

Good luck this afternoon Fraser.  Hope the weather holds for you.

PMJ - I am very confident that you'll smash sub-60 with the way that you have been going recently.

Nice runs this morning Gul/Keir.   Gul, your legs are going to feel it a bit just before a rest day.  That's why when you taper it becomes so much easier.

Keir - I personally wouldn't do two hard sessions on consecutive weekends so clsoe to Abo.  I think that the HM is fine without the duathlon, or the duathlon is fine with an easier weekend before.  If a duathlon takes alot out of your legs then I would miss it.  The alternative is to do both but have a very easy week in between and very easy after the duathlon.  However, this may leave you too rested and not ready for marathon.

28/06/2011 at 11:20
Ho hum. I was expecting those answers, but hoping for some enthuastic 'great idea' calls!

To be honest, I would love to do the duathlon. But there is certainly a bigger picture here. If I did the duathlon, I would have to race it, even if I planned otherwise. I think the HM is the best way to build for Abo as I got a lot of confidence from that last time. I was hoping the duathlon could count as a speed / LSR session - being a fast 10k, a bike ride and another fast 5k. But I suppose deep down, I would be gutted if I lost 1% at Abo due to over training in the taper.

I know that due to a little twinkle in my eye I am not going to be at my best when I run VLM, so Abo is the last chance for a good sub 3.

Sun / Moon. Same thing arn't they Gul
28/06/2011 at 11:32
Keir, at the risk of posting three stupid comments in two days, are you hinting at what I think you are? Congratulations!
28/06/2011 at 11:40
WAY too early for official confirmation Gul. But the plan is for around spring 2012.
28/06/2011 at 11:50
Wow, I hope that's very early spring, Keir, or it must be still in the planning stages! Hope all goes well.
28/06/2011 at 12:09
Great idea Keir
and congrats!?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.