Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

14,641 to 14,660 of 35,663 messages
25/01/2012 at 14:08

Ant Thanks for your concern.  My head is going to be just fine.  I was a little bit dopey for an hour or so after the event and that cleared away quickly.  The socket driver is about 500g and landed on the pointed bit on my skull, which is what caused the cut. My cut is about 12mm wide and very deep which is why I needed to get the closures.  I'm sure the resulatant scar will be lost in the lines on my forehead anyway.

Good to hear from you Scooby.  What is your target marathon?

Re nipples, for me it is solely down to the fabric.  Fine weaved materials don't cause me any problem.  Open weave materials cause a bit of chaffing.

7miles easy done this lunchtime.  Feeling much more recovered after a great sleep.

Edited: 25/01/2012 at 15:00
25/01/2012 at 15:26
knight rider wrote (see)
So what's that area behind your knee on the back of your leg called - any ideas?

That bit is called your South Wootton and the bit in the bend of your elbow is called your North Wootton.
Gul Darr wrote (see)
PMJ - Yes, I love the Meaning of Liff. Do you have the Deeper Meaning of Liff too?

Nope, but will hunt it down now.

Glad to say no shoamin' in the gloamin' today (you are old if you understand that one), just a gentle 7.5 at 7.5 pace, nice symmetry.

Like MM we have a parkrun showdown on Saturday. One of the guys in the office developed diabetes and is trying to loose weight so there is a lot of running going on. He has found an on-line calculator that converts your race time to that of a 25 year old 100lb female or 143 lb male.

25/01/2012 at 15:38
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
Glad to say no shoamin' in the gloamin' today (you are old if you understand that one)

Now having a bit of a Farnham moment BTW, you haven't been logging many of these runs on Jantastic lately!
25/01/2012 at 15:58
Gul Darr wrote (see)
Glad to say no shoamin' in the gloamin' today (you are old if you understand that one)

Now having a bit of a Farnham moment BTW, you haven't been logging many of these runs on Jantastic lately!
Done and once again TCCSTFT are ahead of Team Minni, or at least for a few minutes.
25/01/2012 at 19:26
BikeIt - you want that scar to show off as a war wound, surely?!

Different session next week Ant, but next time we do that one (21st Feb) I will be slowing down a little and doing 3 of them.

A little lie in this morning, a little too much faffing then a rather faster than planned 11 miler as I was running out of time to get showered, changed and to work in time to eat lunch.
25/01/2012 at 20:30

Evening all - what's the general consensus on strategy for running 5ks ? Course is flat and doesn't hold any surprises.

Options - Just go out and hammer it and hold on for as long as you can ?? Have a target time and try to run 1st km at that pace - or is looking at watch a sign you're not working hard enough ?? Relax at the beginning then try to pick off runners in front of you ??

Tempted by the "just try to hammer it" option but wondered if the frequent shorter distance racers had a strong view

25/01/2012 at 20:41

Happy Birthday Speedy.

Cut back week here which is nice. Although the schedule still called for a cheeky progressive half marathon (well just over) this morning. Went through 13.1 in 1:24 dead. and the last three miles avged just under 6mm. Feeling pretty strong. So strong in fact that I've just done some weights for the first time! Feeling well buff I am. I bet I'm sore tomorrow though.

FW- 5ks are horrible, especially if you're not used to them. I think they take a few goes to get right, and even so I still struggle to get up for them because the effort is so intense. I know PMJhas some thoughts about doing it just a couple of notches below all out or soemthing which I think is probably not too far from the truth. 

Sorry to hear you've been in the wars Bikeit. Hope things get better and that will be one almighty scar! Well done for continuing to build the miles nicely.

25/01/2012 at 20:47
Thank you Jase. I am twenty thirteen, which explains why I still dress like a teenager.
25/01/2012 at 20:48

PMJ- I like the age grade calculator, we can dream.  Does your time now correspond to your younger years?

Bike it- DIY and Marathon training just don't go together. I'm supposed to be sprucing up our kitchen, but it seems to have come to a grinding halt, much to Mrs Moofs annoyance. I'm too knackered, gonna have to call DIY sos. Hope the head doesn't hurt too much and hats off for the 0.5 loops around the block, I would lose the will to live!

12 miles for me this morning, out the door at 5.20AM. I usually run after work on a wednesday but I had a lunch time trip to the dentist for a filling. Glad I got the run out of the way as I wouldn't have fancied a plod tonight with a numb dribbling, lopsided mouth.

RJ- I noticed that you are number 20 in the FETCH miles run list. I was about 76, which is nice.  Cut back week for me too, 55 miles, which is still more than I did in my biggest week in last mara campaign.

25/01/2012 at 21:06

You're going very well moof. Keep it up.

Last year I finished just outside the top 20 in the Fetch league in 23rd with 3255miles. I might have similar miles this year but I'm not that fussed about them this time to be honest. As long as I get the results. Interestingly, although I'm not being coached per se I am enjoying not having to think about what running I'm going to be doing on a daily/weekly basis. I always thought I'd be the opposite and get frsutrated by a plan/somebody telling me what to do, but it seems to suit me.

25/01/2012 at 21:23
10.25 easy miles tonight, although to be honest the first few weren't easy, just a mass of aches and pains. I was determined not to look at the watch and just run without getting out of breath however, and after a couple of miles everything calmed down and loosened off nicely. Averaged 8:24 which is 4 mins slower for the route than I've done before, but the HR was an amazing 136 average, which is what I was doing 4 mile recovery runs at 9:30 per mile last year. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that my heart & lungs have reacted really well to the additional mileage, but sadly the legs have not fared quite so well. I really think I'll have to find someone who can do massage in the evenings.
25/01/2012 at 21:50
. He has found an on-line calculator that converts your race time to that of a 25 year old 100lb female or 143 lb male.

I hope it's not just me, is there something here that dare not speak its name?

Scooby - welcome home

25/01/2012 at 22:35
Fraser Wells wrote (see)

Evening all - what's the general consensus on strategy for running 5ks ? Course is flat and doesn't hold any surprises.

Options - Just go out and hammer it and hold on for as long as you can ?? Have a target time and try to run 1st km at that pace - or is looking at watch a sign you're not working hard enough ?? Relax at the beginning then try to pick off runners in front of you ??

Tempted by the "just try to hammer it" option but wondered if the frequent shorter distance racers had a strong view

As RJ says, my tactic is half a notch down from hammer pace. Split the race into three parts, hard for the first part, hard for the middle part and then finish hard. The thing with 5ks is that they are so short, even if you drift a bit, it doesn't add up too much. I guess practice also helps: I think I did 28 5ks or thereabouts last year.
moof wrote (see)

PMJ- I like the age grade calculator, we can dream.  Does your time now correspond to your younger years?

I am slower now but graded higher. If I trained like I do know when I was 28 I may have been sort of decentish on a good day. If I take my 82% grading now it gives me a 32:30 10k (I did 34) and a 54 10 mile (56) and a 1:12 half  (1:15). It also says something close to a 2:30 marathon but that is a stretch of imagination too far.
25/01/2012 at 22:35
Fraser - 5k's are the work of the devil, as are 5 miles, 10k's, 10miles, HM's, 20miles, etc. Basically you get the first third of the race for free, you're cruising well, on top of the pace, life is grand, the middle third is hard and you're struggling to hold the target pace but once you get past halfway the finish is in sight right?

Wrong

The final third of any race is sheer bloody physical, mental and emotional torture. You're running through quicksand, your body is in agony, your limbs are on fire, your mind is pleading with you to stop, your heart is trying to claw its way out of your chest taking your lungs with you and if you're doing it right your teeth feel like theyre being extracted and your vision is going black around the edges.

Or is that just me?
25/01/2012 at 22:48
Pyramid mile reps tonight. Aiming at:
6-25 (HM+10s)
6-15 (HM pace)
6-07 (tempo/10 mile pace)
6-15
6-25

I did:
6-27
6-15
6-02
6-13
6-23

Hardest reps were 1 and 5 trying to nail what is effectively a slow pace in comparison to the middle 3.
Conclusions to be drawn going into Wokingham - not a lot really. 80 mins is not on but potentially HM pace could be around 6-15/6-20 if I bank the sessions between now and then.
Parkrun on Saturday will give a clearer idea of where I'm at in relation to that middle mile, ie, was rep 3 tempo pace or something akin to 5mile or 10k pace?

This should show you shouldn't get drawn into fixating on a time based outcome for a race as there's too many variables that can affect it. Be prepared to be fluid and realistic based on your training going into your A race, you'll be mentally more balanced trust me!
26/01/2012 at 08:09
Nice reps MM and happy birthday for yesterday Speedy.

I think the shorter distances take quite a bit of practice to get right Fraser. I've got a summer of 5 and 10ks planned to get used to pacing.

Not sure if yesterday counts as a double session yesterday: 7m @ 8.30m/m after school, drove 30mins to the track, 2m w/u then 3x2m @ 10k pace with 3min rests. 2m reps came out at: 11.32 (felt relatively easy), 11.42(felt hard), 11.47(felt like I wanted to jack in after 200m, but dug in). Bit of an extended w/d before the core session to take it up to 18m in total.
26/01/2012 at 08:20
Age grading? (largely) a load of old guff.

PMJ - You see it makes me chuckle when folks say that such and such a time is completely out of the realms of possibility when they haven't actually trained optimally for the distance. Why would 2:30 be such a stretch of the imagination? If you'd trained optimally for it at the time then you probably wouldn't have been far off. I find most people say these calculators are unrealistic. I agree that is true when people aren't properly prepared for the race in question.

For me they point to shorter distance times that I couldn't do right now but then I'm not training optimally for those distances so I wouldn't expect to.

Cracking sessions from both MM and Keir(wow).
26/01/2012 at 08:50

Some stunning speedowrk going on last night - MM and Keir. And then there's RJ doing a Hm training run at something like my VO2 Max  Nice stuf.
Belated birthday wishes to Speedy.
5ks - I've discovered that if I hammer the first mile, then I really suffer for the remainder, not just in a physcial way as MM said, but pace wise too. Maybe next time I will get it right from the off; a couple of notches down as per PMJ.By the way, I've found no evidence yet that "racing" has a positive effect on my performance. My fastest 5k is still a training run.

26/01/2012 at 08:56

Keir, MM, good sets there, make me feel a little guilty. Was toying with the idea of doing a fast session today but had talked myself into a steady 14 instead, now will have to revisit the idea of  fast one. Those 2 mile reps from Keir are fast (if that is your 10k pace it is about 36:15!) so I may go for the MM session instead.

RJ,the calculators all have two big caveats:

1) You have to do specific training. I get predictions that go from 64 for 400m to 2:45 for the marathon and beyond each way. Both of these would be hard but both (I hope) would be possible with dedicated training. If your train specifically for one distance, your other distances will suffer to some degree, though I think we are lucky in that marathon runners come down distances better than sprinters go u, but maybe that is because I think 11 and 10 seconds are pretty close over 100m.

2) There is some degree of self selection. I expect that your build is suited to marathon running, it isn't a 100% free choice. We don't come to running and say "I am going to be a great marathon runner" and then do so. We start running and find out some distance we like and are good at. Some people only discover this very late, Grete Waitz ran her first marathon in 1978 after many years racing shorter distances. When I look at a calculator I see it agrees with some of my times and diverges at the ends: some of that divergence is I am sure to not training but some is due to my build being right for the events I do well in.

26/01/2012 at 09:13
***** train tickets for travel on 20th April have been released.  I've just booked 4 tickets from Northumberland to London for £43!  Get in early!  ******
14,641 to 14,660 of 35,663 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.