Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

14,801 to 14,820 of 37,883 messages
04/02/2012 at 19:40
My 10k tomorrow has been cancelled. Unfortunate as I fancied a serious pb attempt. Never mind, was the most sensible decision from the organiser as the roads are pretty lethal here with compacted snow freezing over.

We are going to be treated to another 6 inches in the night apparently. Time for trail shoes and some slow winter wonderland miles in the morning.
04/02/2012 at 20:37
Snow coming down in Berkshire, don't own any trailshoes or ski boots so hope it stops as supposed to be doing 21 miles in the morning.

SJ- I don't mind being a brother but I only wipe my sons arse!
04/02/2012 at 20:59
You can run in normal trainers moof- better if they have some grip, just avoid serious inclined and watch out for ice patches. I'll be out in my Inovs for 15 miles, snow already landed in Newcastle... 
04/02/2012 at 21:27

Thanks Ant - I've made a decision - Gul -I listened to my body and it said go out and eat squids, steak and Pannacotta (Cornucopia on Windsor High St, by the way, is fantastic and relatively cheap - little advert there)

Driving home I also listened to Mrs C who pretty much said "you're not driving to Watford on therse roads at 9 o clock tomorrow morning.

I shall put the trail shoes on in the morning and go out either round Windsor Park or Swinley Forest. Should be picturesque !

Hope everyone gets at least some miles in tomorrow. Good luck

04/02/2012 at 22:08

Any news on Lorenzo?

I have great respect for those of you still running in these freezing conditions.

I have been dodging the wife all week as she has the flu, but it got me this morning big time.The only conciliation is that i have it now and not nearer VLM.

Hope everyone takes care out there, steady miles and nothing daft...

04/02/2012 at 22:12

2nd vote for Cornucopia in Windsor

About 2 inches of snow so far, but coming down steadily. I'm supposed to go to Wembley Arena tomorrow for my Olympic Orientation/Indoctrination - let's hope I can get to the station in Slough and that the trains and buses are running.

04/02/2012 at 23:15
Back home in one piece (just)! Report in the morning while Mrs L is out running.
05/02/2012 at 00:55
BOTF - it's late now and it's still sort of snowing - I reckon maybe 3 inches in Ascot, I'm sure the trains will be fine but the roads around here are knackered. Ever civic-minded I gritted the hilly bits on my road at 6 o clock, but by 9 they were completely covered.
05/02/2012 at 05:55

Lorenzo - good to hear you made it home. Looking forward to the report. Is Mrs L a bit of a nutter too?
Snow in Norfolk too. Here comes the field again...

05/02/2012 at 07:38
Our dusting of snow in Bristol yesterday afternoon was washed away by the evening's rain. I think it's above freezing, too: welcome to the mild, mild West

Glad to hear you are in one piece, Lorenzo and I look forward to the report!
05/02/2012 at 10:38
OK folks, as MrsL is out running in the snow (Gul - don't worry, she's not too much of a nutter!) here's the report from the Arctic Ultra aka the Thames Trot

With the temperature in the car reading minus 9 on the way up to Oxford, it was going to be a cold one but with 2 pairs of gloves and an extra layer, I was there on the start line at Iffley along with about 300 other brave souls, some of whom were pushing the boundaries of madness by running in shorts!!

My game plan was simple - learn from the mistakes of last year and don't go off too fast and then suffer in the second half of the race. However, whether it was the effect of road shoes instead of trail shoes or the fact that the conditions were actually pretty good for running once you'd warmed up, I got to the half way mark about 10 minutes quicker than I had done the year before, although with hindsight the sub 8 minute mile at one stage and numerous other 8:0x miles weren't a terribly good idea.

Second part of the game plan: take a decent break at the checkpoints and fill up water bottle with energy drink (having carefully measured 4 portions of powder into a little plastic pot!). Amount of powder at the start of the run: 80g; amount of powder at the end of the run: 80g. Not quite sure why I didn't follow this part of the plan but a gel and some water seemed sufficient. At least I wasn't carrying around 2L of water this time around as most people's Camelbaks force up en route.

Plenty of people to chat with in the first half (although I missed your company Poacher), but I did feel a tad inadequate that I was only doing the TT as a challenge in itself, rather than as a training run for the Thames Path 100 or the GUCR, or various Ironman challenges. Anyway the miles went by pretty quickly and with the marathon mark reached in about 3:45, I felt good for the targeted sub 8 hour finish.

Part II to follow
05/02/2012 at 10:48
Part II

The second half was undoubtedly tougher than the first, but I put the walk-run strategy into action relatively early on before my legs gave out and that definitely helped conserve energy. There was no repeat of the terrible stitch that I got last year and although I had sporadic cramping feelings in different parts of my legs, the Ultra shuffle kept me going and once we reached Reading (thought of you Jools) and it was less than 10 miles to the finish, it wasn't so bad.

The first few snowflakes started falling as I approached Henley and it was with some relief that I saw the finish line. I couldn't quite muster enough strength for a sprint finish, but I think I crossed the line with a smile on my face before collapsing in a heap.

As expected the second half was a fair bit slower than the first half, but having set myself the aim of sub 8 hours, I was very chuffed to finish in about 7:43 which is 27 minutes faster than last year (and this year's course was a shade longer because of a diversion in the middle)

I just missed the hourly train out of Henley, so had a quick pint of Guinness before heading back to Oxford and then braving the snow on the motorway - listening to the travel reports this morning, I'm very glad that the snow didn't arrive a few hours earlier otherwise I might still be stuck on the M40 with severe cramp, no petrol and a half a bag of jelly babies for sustenance!

No plans (yet) for another Ultra - will get VLM out of the way and then start training in earnest for my triathlon debut in the autumn.

Hope the wintery conditions aren't disrupting things too much for people today.
05/02/2012 at 11:09
Excellent run Lorenzo and well done on and a massive PB. Looked like good conditions in the end and good you finished before the snow set in.
05/02/2012 at 11:44
Well done on your big effort lorenzo. And a 27min PB too, nice one.

Had to cancel my nice 21 miler along the canal this morning, as my son wanted to go out on his sledge, couldn't let him down. So now I'm looking forward to three laps around my town this evening.
05/02/2012 at 12:25

Lorenzo  superb result and report well done,

Moof family comes first,  hope the sledging was fun...

No snow or ice around here looks perfect running conditions, if it wasn't for this flu

Day time tv is sh*t, think i will catch up on m- talk.

05/02/2012 at 12:58
Lorenzo well done. You were lucky not to be caught up in the snow. How does this fit into your marathon training? How long will it take to fully recover?
05/02/2012 at 13:15
Nice one Lorenzo, what was the final spit for first half, second half? Did you walk / run from the start?
05/02/2012 at 14:36

Lorenzo - storming effort - just shows you the value of experience. A 27-min PB is fantastic. A 20-mile recovery run this afternoon, is it?

Col - Get well soon - 'flu is No Fun.

I got my first 20-miler done this morning - 20.12M to be precise, at an av 7:46mm, av 131 bpm . This is the slowest long 'un I've done for two years, but in my defence conditions were awful. Driving rain, howling wind and to cap it all, I went on a pretty bumpy, ugly route - all sub-urban detritus, industrial estates and furnitiure showrooms.

All in all didn't enjoy it much at all although felt quite comfortable all the way. It's been quite a hard week's training by my standards and maybe I shouldn't do tempo runs on Saturdays.

58.06 miles this week, though - and as it stands I'm second on the RW Monthly Mileage thing for Feb!!

Edited: 05/02/2012 at 14:40
05/02/2012 at 15:02

Thanks Ant - I didn't know the RW February was up and running.  I've slipped in just behind you in 3rd place.     Well done on that speedy 20m too.

16 miles for me today in just under 3 hours!  In my defence it was out in the wild hills. Lets not even think about average pace.    57 miles for the week. 

OO Don't forget Blaydon opens tomorrow.  

05/02/2012 at 15:07
PMJ I got halfway round (24 miles) in about 3:25 which was faster planned (just over 8:30 pace) so I must have done the second half in about 4:18 - not exactly a negative split!

I started on the walk-run strategy at about the 30 mile mark; the 30-35 mile stretch was probably the most difficult mentally because I was pretty weary by then, but it still felt some way from home.

If (and it's a very big if) I do this one again, I promise I'll go slower in the first half to see if it makes a difference!

Minni - I sort of justified doing this one as it would be good to build the base for VLM - I'm going to take it easy for the next couple of weeks and then start to build some midweek MP runs and hill work into the schedule.

Ant - I'm afraid I decided to do some ironing this morning rather than pop out for a recovery run, but might head out for a short run tomorrow morning.

Sounds miserable for you this morning, but you must be pleased to get that under your belt and you can't be too unhappy with that pace given the conditions.

Edited: 05/02/2012 at 15:08
14,801 to 14,820 of 37,883 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.