Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

14,881 to 14,900 of 35,663 messages
05/02/2012 at 15:24

Well done Lorenzo, amazing to run the first half at that pace & then hang in for the 2nd half- mighty impressed. I could never do that....

Minni I'm unfortunately away tomorrow on a trip to Geneva so responsibility falls to Mrs OO to get me a place in Blaydon.

I also managed 16 miles and a bit this morning in 9:13 pace. Rather slow I know but there was a fair bit of snow about.  Weekly mileage achieved 53 so another decent week. I'll cut back this coming week and do a few hill reps to prepare for my 34K in Bettermere next week. 

05/02/2012 at 15:24
Sorry Ant and Minni, I just pushed you both down the table. I also didn't realise it carried on for February.

18 horribly slow snowbound miles in almost 3 hours. Pretty, but painful. Brings up 65 for the week.

The snow seems to be melting. I hope to god all this slush on the roads doesn't freeze overnight Treadmill tomorrow before Body Pump class anyway, but intervals on Tuesday could be lethal on ice.
05/02/2012 at 15:25
Lorenzo - so glad you finished before the snow came. No doubt some poor souls did get stuck in it. Really well done on a massive PB. Have you logged it for Febulous?
05/02/2012 at 15:59

Well done Minni, OO and Speedy in doing the decent thing in the snow - really hard work, that. Yes, hope for your sakes the slush doesn't freeze - it's a nightmare.

My training plan for Tuesday says I should do 8M incl. 12 x 2 min uphill. How should I go about this? What sort of effort should I be putting into those hills, and how steep does it have to be? Is the risk of injury greater than that of doing reps of some sort? Etc? I always though hill work was to be done before the season, to get some strength in yer legs, so surprised to see it included in Week 6.

05/02/2012 at 16:29

Lorenzo - great respect for your achievement - as one who has never considered going further than 26.2, I really don't know how you do it. Did you manage to get out of the car unaided? 

Some good long runs logged -
Martin - (faster than what is now my mara race pace)!! 
Ant - good first 20 of the campaign, esp in those conditions & surroundings . . . .
Minni, OO - fine efforts
Speedy - must have been a slog in the snow - my 6.5 today felt hard enough, sliding around . . .

this followed my 20 miler yesterday - set off at 07:15, 2nd half done in glorious bright sunshine, before the steely grey descended ahead of the snow.  58.5 for week - rounded down to 58 for the diary.  Despite the sunshine, I felt quite despondent on the run y'day - just feeling slow and maybe that the years have ratcheted the gears down a touch once more. The more optimistic view is that I'm just  a bit weary after 5 consecutive Saturday 20's, and this is the first time for many years I've done back-to back campaigns (Autumn & Spring), so could be a factor? Time will tell - maybe taper time will rejuvenate me.  

05/02/2012 at 16:48

Lorenzo - awesome stuff mate. I really don't know how you do it ! How are the legs today.

Good sessions from Ant and Martin - both going very strongly now

Also great runs from Minni and OO

Nice long 'uns from several ! CC2, PMJ, Birch - prob others too !

Rather unsually it's snow free and almost balmy up here. Lovely sun and very pleasant today. Grand total of training zero miles in last 3 days though. Have been having a mega cut back week - day one of 16 week campaign starts tomorrow. Have used the time to sort out our fence - now done and not going to disrupt training all being well

05/02/2012 at 17:13
Well done, Lorenzo. Amazing improvement on last year and it sounds like you have recovered well to even contemplate running tomorrow!

Ant: I would opt for a medium hill, i.e. steep enough that you have to focus on form and decent leg lift, but not so steep that you have to actually alter your form.
05/02/2012 at 17:21
Ant - I've never seen a definitive guide as to exactly what a "hill" is but 12 x 2 mins sounds like a very tough session if you're pushing it on every rep. I normally max at 6 x 2.5 mins (on a 1 in 5 hill) and I'm ready to throw up at the end!

Well done to everyone who made it out in the snow today, but do go carefully if it does start to freeze. Impressive week's stats from Speedy in particular. Treadmill, then body pump followed by intervals the next day. Sounds like you're a glutton for punishment.

On the subject of gym workouts, does anyone have a view on spinning classes? Worth it or not?

Birch - after an hour and a half's drive, it was a bit of a challenge getting out of the car but the prospect of a nice warm bath can work wonders!
05/02/2012 at 17:21

Birch - You're bound to be feeling a bit weary after such a long time at so intense a level, so give yourself a break, meaning don't be too hard on yourself. Your body is trying to tell you it needs some sort of recuperation. Listen to it. In any case, that's what the taper is for!

Thanks for the advice, Jools!

05/02/2012 at 17:26
Lorenzo - On Thursday I've got a 7-mile tempo run after an 11-miler on Wednesday (these are mere sprints to you, I realise) so maybe I shouldn't blow the b******s off the session on Tuesday?
05/02/2012 at 17:32
I always do a run (sometimes 2) plus Body Pump on a Monday followed by intervals on a Tuesday. That's just normal. This week for example:
Monday - 7 miles on treadmill. Body Pump class. 3 miles on treadmill.
Tuesday - 7 miles including 5 x 0.85 mile intervals.
Wednesday - 13 miles MLR
Thursday - 2.5 miles on treadmill. Body Balance Class. 2.5 miles on treadmill.
Friday - 12.6 miles including 8 @ MP.
Saturday - rest.
Sunday - 18 miles.

I prefer running outdoors, but got tired of washing two or even three lots of kit (and lugging it all to the gym).

12 hill reps sounds a LOT. In summer we do 6 x Heartbreak, which is admittedly fairly steep, but only takes around 1 min 20 to run up. By the top you're breathing like a steam train, your heart is beating out of your mouth and you're blowing out of every orifice. On every rep. Good luck with 12. Pick a gentle hill!

Can't really help with spinning classes. The last one I did was rubbish. I barely broke sweat.
05/02/2012 at 18:13
Congratuations Lorenzo. Great run and a PB to boot. Quite some achievement.
Well done too to all you guys who managed to get out running in the wintery conditions.
Speedy - that's quite some schedule you have there.
"Hill" reps for me today. Pulling the kids on their sleds!
05/02/2012 at 18:29
Excellent result Lorenzo! Where does that time place you?

As for spin classes, I did a block of them last year, worked really hard and felt I was getting a good tempo session in without aggravating my only-just-recovered-from injury. Keir recommended them.

Good wintry exploits going on from lots.

14 for me today - decided to head out onto the local fells and take advantage of the scenery - hard work and slow but very rewarding.
05/02/2012 at 18:47
Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Well done Minni, OO and Speedy in doing the decent thing in the snow - really hard work, that

I feel a bit of a fraud now because we don't have any snow.  We did have 3 or 4 inches last Monday - and yes I did run in it, but it wasn't plastered all over the news at 6!

Spinning - I did spinning last year and I can only liken it to childbirth.    The first time I went I was so traumatised I had to stop at the pub for a quick glass of wine on the way home and promptly fainted.  I have my own turbo trainer now and don't push myself so hard.

05/02/2012 at 19:06
Lorenzo -   Congrats.
05/02/2012 at 19:13
LOL at Minni fainting after spinning. Remember folks, don't drink and spin!

Gul - that was a relatively easy week!
05/02/2012 at 19:15

Well done on your long runs, Minni, Speedy, Slokey & O&O and Birch & Ant for your 20 milers.

Looks like a very tough week ahead Speedy.  Although come race day it will all be worthwhile.

Ant - I would probably half the number of reps.  VLM isn't hilly so not much point in concentrating too much on hill work apart from just strength.  If your normal routes are bumpy then you may be better focussing on intervals (not much of consolation)!!!

Just a nice leisurely 4.13 miles for me tonight at 8.19m/m.  Not easy underfoot as either compacted snow or slush. Ends my week on 48.77 miles.

05/02/2012 at 19:36
That's not the week ahead, that's the week I've just done. It was only 65 miles.
05/02/2012 at 19:37
Gul Darr wrote (see)
"Hill" reps for me today. Pulling the kids on their sleds!
Come on, I know where you live and there are no hills round there at all for sledging on, the only hill is the A148 and you don't pull kids on sledges on A roads.
05/02/2012 at 19:49
CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
That's not the week ahead, that's the week I've just done. It was only 65 miles.

Only 65 miles!!!!  That's more than I have ever ran in a week and you are not even at full distance yet!!!
14,881 to 14,900 of 35,663 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.