Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

15,341 to 15,360 of 37,863 messages
20/02/2012 at 23:02

Gul, never thought you were being negative. I write here to get feedback and am happy to hear any comments, be they criticism or praise: provided the criticism is positive and the praise isn't hollow. You guys do a pretty good job at both.

Moof, I too have a buckle strap for a 305 so if you want it let me know. Can't tell if it is long or short as the Garmin is in the office and I am at home. I went through a spell of 0% charge and decided to get a second cradle so I always have it on charge if I am at home or in the office and just pick it up and run. I used to charge it at home and carry it to the office so sometimes I reckon I hit the on/off button in my bag as I carry it by accident and then it runs till it dies.

Jezza, 6 m/m for a half is a long term goal but that is hard, it is also a sub 59 10 mile, 35:45 10k, 17:10 5k and the silly  (in terms of how these predictors work) 2:44 marathon. I'd be happy to hold this pace for another 4 years and scoop the V50 prize. I know what you mean with stats and 3 people came past me between 10 and the finish and looked so easy (took about 20 seconds out of me), but also a lot of people who were with me at 10 miles were as far behind me at the finish.

KR, like the attitude, a PB is a PB and sub-80 is there now in the records for all to see.  Hope it can spur all the declared others on to do the same later this year, Fraser, MartinH and MM: all the best, and also maybe a few others who harbour the goal and haven't declared it. Must say I like the photo as it is my typical pose with feet (foot) firmly on the ground.

Edited: 20/02/2012 at 23:04
20/02/2012 at 23:55

BOTF - thanks for the heads up on your club 20 miler - unfortunately I'm doing the MArlow Duathlon that day - which will be entertaining as I have cycled about a total of 50K this year, and half of that wibbling around the woods on my MTB, with one decent 25K jaunt around the Great Park taking in as many hills as possible.

Is your big hill the one up from Old Windsor to Englefield Green? Cos that is a bugger. I rode it last summer after riding to the Farm Shop in Old Windsor from Ascot and carrying a backpack full of bottles of expensive cider.

21/02/2012 at 06:34
Martin - great reps there.
Keir - with the momentous event in your life this last week, I'm not surprised you had an attack of the cnba fairy.
PMJ - thanks. That's one drawback with not communicating face to face; much easier for misunderstandings.
3 mile recovery run for me this morning.
21/02/2012 at 08:08
I'll join the sub 80 ambition club, but probably not this year. I reckon if I achieve that, along with a sub 60min 10, I will retire from running very happy!

Now that you have your wva target for the year PMJ, how about setting a new target of setting a pb with a negative split? It is funny how you have knocked several minutes off your pb, but the thought of running 4 sec per mile faster is to much to comprehend. But with a bit more training under the belt.... What are your plans for the 2nd half of the year? Abingdon or Cabbage Patch?

I listen to music when running, but Marathon talk, IMtalk and Competitor radio on my commutes (90min per day).

Interesting debate between my 3 and 5 yr olds at the moment about which kitchen appliance would hurt us the most. Dishwasher being the current favourite!
21/02/2012 at 08:44
chillies for breakfast wrote (see)

BOTF - thanks for the heads up on your club 20 miler - unfortunately I'm doing the MArlow Duathlon that day - which will be entertaining as I have cycled about a total of 50K this year, and half of that wibbling around the woods on my MTB, with one decent 25K jaunt around the Great Park taking in as many hills as possible.

Is your big hill the one up from Old Windsor to Englefield Green? Cos that is a bugger. I rode it last summer after riding to the Farm Shop in Old Windsor from Ascot and carrying a backpack full of bottles of expensive cider.

Yep, A328 Priest Hill, three quarters of a mile of uphill goodness. Some of our fast boys have been known to use it for hill reps! The return is via Crimp Hill which is even steeper, but you go down it.
21/02/2012 at 10:09

10.35 miles this morning, with 6 x 1000m off 2-minutes jog recoveries. I surprised myself, doing 3:48, 3:45, 3:46, 3:45, 3:42 & 3:39. I think the HM has sharpened me up no end.

The new Garmin kept losing the signal as I went up to where I do the reps, which was a bit annoying, and I had it on "current pace" rather than "average lap pace", which I'd forgotten to change beforehand.

I hope the losing of the signal any time a building looms into view isn't going to be an issue. It seemed alright doing the reps, and on the way home, so maybe it was just getting to the Spanish firmament, or something.

There, that was all about me, me ME!

Btw, the new Talk Ultra podcast is excellent, too.

21/02/2012 at 10:19
BOTF - yes, I've ridden up (and down)  Crimp Hill a few times,  past Elton & David's house
TR
21/02/2012 at 10:23

Keir - my gadget has never run out of charge

Ant - I'm another that like Competitor radio, look back through the archives there's some endurance sports Gold in there.

Keir - search back through Competitors for show 150, when Molina talks about his early days in Tri and his career from then on. Its a classic listen.

21/02/2012 at 10:39
Rennur and PMJ thanks for the generosity with regards to the watch strap. I've ordered one of those adaptors that connects the 305 to my bike and comes with a Velcro strap to fit the wrist when running. I'll see how this goes as it only cost £14 and will save me from having to buy a bike computer. But if it doesn't work out and I have no joy from Garmin support I'll let you know.

Ant- I don't really enjoy the marathon show either and I've never really got along with wearing earphone when running. I just talk to myself. Love the fact you contacted them to complain. Reminds me of my friends dad who wrote to the makers of cheesy wotsits that the new and improved flavour wasn't cheesy enough!

Big Sam has his faults but let's hope he gets us back to the premiership so we can endure another relegation battle next season.

Keir- an old work colleague of mine would say the tumble dryer was the most dangerous after his wife accidentally 'tumbled' the family cat. The poor creature didn't survive and must have been a horrible way to go, especially when you have nine lives to use up. Sorry about that last bit cats lovers.

21/02/2012 at 12:20
Keir wrote (see)
 Now that you have your wva target for the year PMJ, how about setting a new target of setting a pb with a negative split? It is funny how you have knocked several minutes off your pb, but the thought of running 4 sec per mile faster is to much to comprehend. But with a bit more training under the belt.... What are your plans for the 2nd half of the year? Abingdon or Cabbage Patch?

Keir, will definitely need to look at that negative split. My old 10 mile PB was negative but that has a 1.5 mile up hill start, a 7 mile loop and 1.5 mile downhill finish.

I see your point about 4 seconds but from where I sit there are a few races each year which are A races and the other 50 or so are B, C and D races. Wokingham was an A race and it drains a lot, it takes a lot of mental energy even to think about trying to repeat it sometime yet alone go faster and all the energy now has to be on the build up to London. If I get a fast 10k or 10 mile in this summer and the calculators show it is a soft half then I will have a bash in a clear spell.Also I do a lot of track running, 4 seconds a mile is a second a lap and that is about 5 metres, so I have to try and keep up with the guys who finish 5 meters ahead of me on each 400m rep and they are a good bit faster.

Plans for autumn are unclear but definitely no marathon. At the moment I am not even sure if I will do a marathon again for a few years, all depends on what happens this time round with unfinished business and all that stuff. A friend did a series of three races all in the same peak (so the theory is you base train and then can come to a peak for 4-6 weeks so race. 2 weeks gap, race, 2 weeks gap makes 4 weeks in the peak and aim for PBs at 5 mile, 10k and 10 mile)

Edited: 21/02/2012 at 12:22
21/02/2012 at 13:11

Howdy one and all,

Thought I would drop a few words as its been a while...

Read back a bit and it is reassuring that the thread is performing to its usual exemplarary performance and literery standard.

Am halfway through my latest campaign wich is VLM and bumped into KR at the Wrexham Half. Going ok, took the Half on not as an A race but just for a gauge of where I am at the moment so targetted a sub 1.30 (given previous pb was 1.28.48) and set off looking for steady splits around 6.51ish. The normal plethera of runners bombed passed me over the first 3 miles and off into the near distance, started collecting them around mile 4 and maintained a steady pace until about mile 10 and qickened up for the last 3 and ended with a 1.28.44.

I can only say I am delighted, as I didnt think I was as fit as I was when I targetted the previous half, but beat it without any speedwork, taper or proper prep! Not sure what I could have done if I had targetted it but I guess I will find out on the next one.

Anyhows, nice to be back in the saddle and online again.

21/02/2012 at 13:25

PMJ - I'm in the same boat as you as I don't think I'll do an Autumn marathon but instead have a go at a flat Half as for the past 2 and a half years it's all been a focus on the marathon. There's a good flat one in Peterborough in October if you are interested? A couple of guys from my Club did this and both broke 80 minutes.

I think you made a good point about goals and retiring happy Keir. I think we all have those kind of ultimate goals. Mine are sub 3.15 (obviously) but also sub 30 minutes for 5 miles. I've always loved that distance and think if I can achieve that I'll die a happy man!

I think anything can be dangerous in the kitchen - depends on the circumstances! Reminds me of the infamous Darwin Awards.

21/02/2012 at 13:27
Hi Mennania - Good to meet up again in Wrexham, and  big congratulations on your PB too.
21/02/2012 at 13:58

Keir - Mrs H had problems with her Garmin.  It would say 100% charged but within half an hour it would be dead.  I now charge it with my charger and it seems fine.  Both watches start to beep when they get to about 25% but still take a while before they shut down.

I can also confirm Keir that dishwashers, when on cold, do not really hurt humans.  My first Saturday job was cleaning a bakery.  If it was someones birthday we would put them into the dishwasher (could easily hold two adults) and give them a cold wash.  Not sure that H&S would agree with that nowadays (or even then if they knew)!!!

I listen to Marathon Talk on recovery runs and used to also listen to Rhod Gilbert as think he is very funny.  His podcasts are very sporadic and not seen any for a while.  Apart from that I just have music for all runs (easy listening to very upbeat).

Fingers crossed that you stay away from the lurgy Speedy.  Have you started spraying people yet?

Excellent reps Ant.  I can start to see a bit of self-belief in your posts .

Well done on the PB Mennania.

PMJ/KR - I may be doing Peterborough this year if it fits in with holidays.  Will probably give a better chance of a PB than Leicester.  There is a race in the summer KR, The Watermead Challenge, it was the flattest course I've been anywhere near and I ran 28.3x just a week after a 29.1x 5 miler in Coventry which was also fairly flat.  May be worth looking at.

21/02/2012 at 16:08
Martin H wrote (see)

PMJ/KR - I may be doing Peterborough this year if it fits in with holidays.  Will probably give a better chance of a PB than Leicester.  There is a race in the summer KR, The Watermead Challenge, it was the flattest course I've been anywhere near and I ran 28.3x just a week after a 29.1x 5 miler in Coventry which was also fairly flat.  May be worth looking at.

Watermead is already on my list to do Martin. Maybe MM might join us for a smack down?
21/02/2012 at 16:37
Congratulations to all the racers this weekend, seems like everyone met their goals, so a big collective well done. In particular, I've rarely seen so many PBs tumbling in a week so it seems we are collectively doing very well. I'm now even more gutted that I couldn't join in the PB frenzy.

Finally my leg is getting back to normal. 4 miles today in my best mid-foot running style to avoid overstraining things. Just some little tightness/weakness/asymmetricality present

21/02/2012 at 19:42

CFB - did you get to peep through the curtains to check out the John/Furnish interior decor ??

Great session Ant - you're going from strength to strength mate

Great showing form you there Mennania - promising stuff

Watch out for those appliances Keir - I hope you don't have any electric knives or a waste dispodal unit in there

Gooid news for you BikeIt

12 for me today @ 7.24 pace - 35 miles in the last 3 days so had went for a bit of torture/acupuncture with the physio this aft.

Meant to say the other day - preposterous half in training from you RJ. Did that feel like MP effort or a bit harder ?? Very much looking forward to see how close to the front you are when you make the trip up here to civilised Edinburgh in May

21/02/2012 at 20:14

Mennania - Congrats on the PB.

My trip to the physio last night brought some good news, the problem is not with my left calf, it is getting sore due to problems elsewhere.  My left hip is lifting up due to tight lower back causing me to "limp" when running which in turn is causing problems for my calf. Physio loosened back up and has advised lots of stretching before/after running. With Worcester mara 7 weeks away this Sunday I am going to try and devise some sort of training plan, I am thinking lots of long slow running just to get me round,  any comments/advice will be very welcome,  with very little running since early Jan I realise sub 3:15 is not going to happen but am still going to try and run it. I have got the White Horse HM 2 weeks prior to Worcester which should give me a reasonable idea of where I am.

21/02/2012 at 20:42

All the best with that Barry  - are you targeting Abingdon this year? Can't remember what you ended up with last year.

FW - you can't quite see into the John/Furnish residence from the road! Coincidentally, my next door neighbour is their head gardener. Outrageous mileage as usual there, by the way.

Sounding positive BikeIt

5 very easy miles tonight, 8:50 pace, as feeling a bit sore after Wokingham, which is unusual after a half. Returned some excellent cardio stats though.

I reckon I'm at best looking at 3:19 for Abingdon at my current level, but I can hope, and I'll have more endurance under my belt this year as I'm doing the South Downs Mara in June.

Mojo seems to have returned after Sunday. I think I ended up running too much in December as I was stupidly chasing 1800 (fell short by 16 miles) for the year and ran pretty much every day, which would help to explain the continuing niggle/injury.

Now it's time to fit in a session with a physio before a half in Brockenhurst in 2 weeks time

21/02/2012 at 21:11
Fraser Wells wrote (see)

Meant to say the other day - preposterous half in training from you RJ. Did that feel like MP effort or a bit harder ?? Very much looking forward to see how close to the front you are when you make the trip up here to civilised Edinburgh in May

Cheers. If anything it felt like sub MP for the first 11 or so. Having said that I was certainly concious of effort levels getting upto that 'comfortably hard' level for the last mile and a half. But then that would probably be expected given it was at the end of a full week - plus we sped up quite a bit in the second half. Looking at the HR figures though, the run averaged 176 and at London last year it averaged 180. On sunday only in the 13th mile did it actually get to 180. I think my optimal marathon HR is 179 having done a bit of assessment over time! But would still never race to HR!

Although I've entered edinburgh, I am not 100% sure I'm going to do it yet. I was looking at accomodation up there and funnily enough it all seems to be taken or at least all reasonably priced rooms are. Not only that but I really want to just throw my all at London and maybe have a crack at Edinburgh if recovery is going well and I feel I can muster up enough of an effort to give it a good go.

15,341 to 15,360 of 37,863 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.