Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

18,501 to 18,520 of 37,335 messages
21/05/2012 at 12:55

Ant - find a sports fizz you feel you can put your faith in.  Self treatment not the answer (especially if you enjoy it).  In the UK physio's generally know their stuff.  Masseur's can be much more hit & miss on the diagnosis of injury.  Fizz takes years to get qualification, masseurs don't, generally.

Good effort with the 10k Jools.  I'm clearly in the minority of not using Garmin much - generally only for new routes of 20m. Not a complete anti-techy man - when racing I use a std stopwatch and look at my splits, sometimes.

Realised at weekend I was a week out with Embra marathon - was told a v fast clubmate, Peter Tucker, is running it - which might be interesting for our RJ to know.  Looking at his blog it seems RJ is in very good shape. 

21/05/2012 at 12:57

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; color: #000000; font-size: small;">Jools Nice unGarmin 10k

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; color: #000000; font-size: small;">Hope the injuries sort themselves Ant and SJ

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; color: #000000; font-size: small;">11.25 miles for me yesterday. First run for 12 days, very hilly. All very comfortable. Too be honest, I think I ran too far, as it was meant to an ease back in bimble. Weather was terrible, heavy, heavy rain but perfect running conditions once out and warmed up.

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; color: #000000; font-size: small;">I wore my Skins A200 top yesterday for the first time. Very strange sensation. Bit too figure hugging for my liking, even though I know that is the point.

21/05/2012 at 13:09
Jezza_B wrote (see)

Realised at weekend I was a week out with Embra marathon - was told a v fast clubmate, Peter Tucker, is running it - which might be interesting for our RJ to know.  Looking at his blog it seems RJ is in very good shape. 

Indeed. Yep, all going well here. Just want to hit the start line now. Had a great tempo run last Thursday morning. 12 miles with 4.5 miles at 5:16mm and felt very - good more like HMP than 1 hour pace.

I've been in touch with Pete. Sadly he's been struggling with injuries a lot this year though and he said he has only been back training properly for 3.5 weeks. Even so he is planning on going through halfway in 74 so we could well end up running together.

SJ hope nothing too drastic and things are picking up?

ant, ditto.

Nice 10k Jools. I think I might go naked one of these days too.

Menna, Speedy  I wouldn't beat yourselves up too much about a parkrun. They are afterall a parkrun so not really a race. You dont have the benefit of the pinning the number to your chest, unless carrying a sweaty barcode gets you excited.

Nice to have you back running Scoobs.

21/05/2012 at 14:44

Thanks for all your kind wishes. I was recommended to go to the University Sports Medicine College, which has a very good reputation - I can't think why I didn't think of it myself. Anyway, I got a consultation straight away, and was fiddled about with. In no time at all the doctor diagnosed me as having "Athlletic Pubalgia", which is otherwise known as Sportsman's Hernia, apparently. This is subject to my getting the affected area x-rayed, but she was fairly certain. She thinks it's due to hip disalignment brought on by having one leg shorter than other, itself owing to warping of the leg following a series of operations (meniscus, cruciate ligament) when I was in my teens.

So what I have to do is start physiotherapy sessions a.s.a.p. and get the x-ray done - the former starting tomorrow and the latter on Thursday. If, as she suspects the hips are out of line, she reckons the condition will easily be sorted with orthotics, and I'll be in clear pretty rapidly. In the meantime, swimming and the x-trainer is allowed, bike/rowing machine is not.

I am primarily concerned about losing aerobic fitness and putting weight on.

In any case, however, that's the end of my running for this season.

Edited: 21/05/2012 at 14:45
21/05/2012 at 15:16

Sad news Ant. The good spin is it sounds very sort out-able and you've caught it in good time to address the problem. Sounds like in a way it's a surprise it's not manifested before now bearing in your mind your past knee issues

RJ - looks like you're coming to the boil nicely. I'm having a varied taper with some good days and others riddled with self doubt and feeling slightly crappy. What fun ! Just been for a drive on the course down on the coast. Very good conditions (11 degrees with light easterly breeze) just now. It's supposed to warm up mid week but then cool down for Sunday....fingers crossed.

21/05/2012 at 15:33
Ant - sorry to hear that fella but it does at least sound like you'll be on the mend in no time. Fingers crossed for you.

Fraser - looking forward to meeting you and hopefully the rest of the taper will go ok for you. My biggest concern is always eating too much in the early part of this week and trying to make sure I don't. It's the hardest part of the whole training for me! You'll be reet. You're in top form.
21/05/2012 at 16:24

Sorry to hear that Ant.  It seems very fixable at least.  And effectvie diagnosis is the start of getting it mended instead of interminable problems.

21/05/2012 at 18:51

Ant Sorry to hear that. Hopefully fixable and ready for an assualt later in the year.

My post before was a bit crazy. Internet kept dropping, so I copied and pasted from a word document.

Currently at anchor off Monaco with "guests" onboard. Probably not the best for job security but I really wish nobody ever came onboard. Monaco is really gearing up for the Grand Prix, all the team areas are being built. We sail for Italy tomorrow.

21/05/2012 at 18:57
Happy days Scooby, enjoy.

Ant - good luck with the cross training and rehab.
21/05/2012 at 19:46
Wow Ant, that's quality service you've had there. Bad news for you that you'll be out for a little while but great news that it's easily fixable.

Sounding like you are cooked to perfection RJ.

Thanks for the good wishes - The rest and ibuprofen seems to have helped hugely over the last 2 days. Still a bit of tightness but will give it a little test tomorrow.

Other news, our cycle to work scheme is open again in a few weeks and I've convinced the wife that I should go for the max of the allowable budget (??1000) and buy a sexy road bike for my (not too distant) tri career! any of you cycling obsessives have any advice on bike choice? I can get an Alu frame Boardman bike for that price or there is a carbon bike from Ribble that looks good. Any views on these or any other good alternative options out there?
21/05/2012 at 19:47
X-post - how do you cope with such a dull job Scoobs?
21/05/2012 at 20:19

Sorry to hear you're off running, Ant, but sounds like a very efficient service and they should have you back on the road again soon.

My Olympic ticket arrived today  Very, very happy

21/05/2012 at 20:27

That's very sad news Ant

What are you going to see Joolska?

Got my tickets to go and see Elizabeth Fraser, her first concerts in about 15 years. Very excited, although the downside is both nights I have to be up early to do my olympic shifts the next day.

21/05/2012 at 20:33

My post above was a complaint by the way.  I want to be paid to sit in Monaco, not spend an evening sat in the whitest boiler suit in the world. We leave tomorrow for Italy and return after the Grand Prix. Oh my life is not fair.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/492865/gallery/p1011295.jpg?width=350

My working lunch last week

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/492865/gallery/p1011353.jpg?width=350

21/05/2012 at 21:24

Ant - keeping my fingers crossed for you. As others have said, at least you've gone to see someone and they've got an idea not only what the problem is but how it can be sorted. Do you enjoy swimming?

SJ - also worth having a look on Wiggle as they seem to have some decent discounts on carbon bikes - there's a Focus Cayo on there for under a grand. I struck lucky and managed to get a £1,300 bike that was reduced to £900 and then with the Cycle to Work scheme, I think it costs me less than £50 a month. 

Scoobs - doesn't look too bad to me.

Short run this morning then off to the Chelsea Flower Show - managed to see a number of celebs and had a quick chat with Johnny Ball. Thoroughly nice gent and brought back find memories of being inspired by Think of a Number. If you're wondering why I was there, have a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18146961 

TR
21/05/2012 at 21:37

SJ - You can get plenty of bike for £1000. I'm still doing 1/2IM on the ~£500 Giant I bought to start out on 4 years ago. I'm not a massive bike geek, but from my limited knowledge the Boardman Carbon bike that was £999 (esp for the C2W scheme) but is now £1200 ish was very good value for money. The CAAD range of aluminium bikes are well reviewed. As Lorenzo said the Focus Cayo. You then have the Planet X ~£1000 carbons. But if you intend to race on it the you could look at the Cube Aerium which is more of a road/TT cross. Next time the C2W scheme comes round I might get one of those bad boys. I kind of like chasing folks down in 1/2 IM's on my Grifter, but know that a better bike would be me some time. I'm only 10mins of a good bike split most races and thats ~1mph over 56M, which is easy to buy.

21/05/2012 at 22:30

Ant - good luck with the recovery - hope its fast.

Scoobs - Enjoy Italy!

Lorenzo - nice van!

Planned to do 6 miles including a bash at 2 x 6.06 and gave up just short of a mile into the fast bit as it wasnt going to happen -I was pulling for tugs, leaking like a sieve and had a dead feeling area on my right calf- managed splits of 7.02, 6.24, 6.18, 6.24, 6.42 and an 8 warm down. Calf is now twitching but think I was over ambitious as I have only run a dozen times since VLM. Going to have a considered ramp up over the next two weeks - much of it will have to be in Portugal as looks like the missus is booking us a break next week

21/05/2012 at 22:38

(((Ant)))  Oh no.  At least it sounds as if things are going to get moving quickly.  Lets hope for a speedy recovery.

Lorenzo - I love Doris!

RJ - have you set your target time for Edinburgh?   Did I hear somewhere there are some Kenyans expected on the start line?

Will the Edinburgh gang be taking beetroot?

21/05/2012 at 22:57

Ant, at least you can take positive steps now before it gets worse. Look how well Sal has done off x-training. You're just going to have to learn to love swimming and the elliptical. 

21/05/2012 at 23:42

Sounds like you're in good hands Ant and hope you have a speedy recovery. Echo what Speedy says about Sal's training with a lot of x training.

Nice card Scoobs.

Take it easy Menn,maybe have a go at some 800's off a short recovery - enjoy Portugal.

18,501 to 18,520 of 37,335 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.