Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

18,601 to 18,620 of 35,818 messages
22/05/2012 at 19:43

One olympic flame seen.  I'll be up at sparrowfart to see another tomorrow - but I'll miss it going over the Suspension Bridge because it won't get there until after 8am and I've got to be showered, clean and at court for 9am

22/05/2012 at 20:04
Also in Bristol today Jools but opted for a run rather than a trek into the city centre to brave the crowds for the flamery - will watch it go by when it's in Cumbria - bit quieter.

Birch, fingers and toes crossed for your creaky knee

BikeIt, good luck, I'm sure you will have an amazing experience at Comrades - very excited for you. Enjoy the walking bits!
22/05/2012 at 21:03

Poacher said - "Put your feet up, lie back and think about Wellesley College "
I feel better already ! 

22/05/2012 at 21:24

Great report MsE! 

Birch, sorry to hear you've joined Ant and Purple Martin on the bench, but it may be just what you need. 

Great reps PMJ. Wish I could say the same of my own, but they were awful. Another epic failure. I'm tempted to give up this speed training malarky and go back to volume.

22/05/2012 at 21:24

Birch.. all the best mate.  I've been through that 'try to run through it' phase a few times and sometimes it works and other times you have to accept that it isn't going to go away.  Hopefully you'll be back to it soon and trouncing me in the old codger rankings.   

Best wishes and a swift recovery to Ant too.

Edited: 22/05/2012 at 21:24
22/05/2012 at 21:32

tks, Wardi & others - much appreciated. If I can get back to near your level, Wardi, after your layoff last year - (doubles and cycling) - that'll do me. 

22/05/2012 at 23:30

Hi everyone been off here for a week or two

Have not done much running but plenty of cross training re-turfing front and back lawns and a bit of DIY jobs i had promised to do after VLM.

Ant sorry to hear your benched, but you at least you know the injury and treatment.It sounds similar to mine as i have had lower abdominal pain since before VLM. My fizz gave me stretches to do which in turn gave me a bad back to go with it!!! I have my ultrasound scan appointment on Saturday, so may end up along side you on the bench...

Birch  its very frustrating having a complete rest from running, but sometimes its the best course of action,get better soon.

PMJ very quick reps as usual your improvement over the last year or so shows the hard work you have put in, keeep it up.

Gul onward and upwards for you, improving all the time.

Bike it good luck, what an adventure.

Great racing from the ladies Speedy, Jools and MsE.

All the very best of luck to the Edinburgh gang.

23/05/2012 at 05:33

Speedy!!!! You did a marathon just over 4 weeks ago. Since then you've been ill, raced a fair few times and done a few reps sessions.  Your body is recovering from all of that.  Have an easy week and then ease back into speed training.  You have note become a plodder over night and I'm sure that 'disaster' is all relative in any event.

Right, I'm off to go and watch an olympic flame.  Should be a bit quieter this morning

23/05/2012 at 06:47

Birch - probably a wise move.
AR - err on the side of caution.
Bike It - getting very close now! Here's hoping the adductor will behave itself.
PMJ - v. fast reps there, Sir.
SJ - sounds like a very nice wife you have there.
Moof - so easy to start off a bit on the fast side. Still some very tidy reps. This Saturday, I plan on doing 4.89 miles w/u before my parkrun including a few strides at the end.
Speedy - as Jools, said, you are entitled to a bit of a rest, then ease into the speedwork; if you push it too hard it won't help at all.
EFC-Col - good to hear from you again.
6 miles this morning - 2M w/u, then 30 mins of technique drills and 4M to finish. I'm finding the drills really tiring, worse than intervals, so they'd better be doing some good!

23/05/2012 at 07:02

Fair play to my fellow Bristolians - I had quite a few companions for my Olympic Torch Relay Fartlek this morning.  So worth the 5.15am alarm call

23/05/2012 at 14:23

Exciting times Joolska, I'm hoping to see it when it comes to the Dorney area.

Our first session of the year round the cricket pitches last night - 6 x 600m & 4 x 200. I went off the 20 minute 5k mark as I wasn't sure how I'd do after my recent cold and I was very glad I did. The target time was 2:17 which seemed rather fast, and I just managed to hit or just beat it for the first 5 reps. The Garmin says it was 640m so I was hitting 5:35 pace, but then I decided I was working far too hard and really feeling the heat so I stopped.

Also discovered that approximately 25% of the course we're holding our 5k race on next week has been ploughed and reseeded, with no obvious alternative route

23/05/2012 at 14:36

No torch here yet, seems it is close by days 52 and 53, July 9th and 10th. There is an evening do at the Madejski Stadium so we may hop along.

14 very hot miles at lunchtime in 1:44, 7:24 pace. Last year, it took me from May 8th until June 23rd to do my 14 mile route, this year April 22nd to May 23rd.

23/05/2012 at 15:55

Taking a not-very-excited 5 year old to see the torch in Cheltenham in a couple of hours. I was working in Swindon today and resisted a 400 metre walk to see it there, I was worried it wouldn't be the same twice!

23/05/2012 at 16:15

In more enlightened times, a person who got excited about the opportunity to stand and stare at a torch would probably have been burned at the stake. 

I did have a brief look online at potential Olympic tickets.  But then I came to my senses and realised I'd much rather watch it all on telly. 

Commiserations to Birch & Ant.  Hopefully you'll manage to cope with the brain-achingly dull cross training.  It does seem to be a necessary evil. 

3 miles per day for the past three days.  I think I might go and light a torch to celebrate.  Anyone want to come along and have a look at it?

23/05/2012 at 18:05
Sitting at an airfield in Bristol waiting to get on the company plane to go home which won't take off due to "bad weather" in Cumbria ?????

Bah!

I've got my trainers in my bag, do you think they'll let me run round the airstrip?
23/05/2012 at 19:05

MsE Great race and report. Do we want to see some photos?

BikeIt Really jealous. Remember to enjoy it.

Birch Hope rest is the answer.

8 miles yesterday in just over an hour. Plan was 7 in just under an hour. I always run too fast when I don't know where I am. I think the logic is at least if I get lost I will be back earlier.

10k easy tonight, I found I nice flatish coast road, which bodes well.

MsE
23/05/2012 at 20:38

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/36105/gallery/532744_10150801837556637_710561636_10068405_236795216_n.jpg?width=350

Ta da!  <excited at having managed to post a photo!>

23/05/2012 at 21:08
Joolska wrote (see)

Speedy!!!! You did a marathon just over 4 weeks ago. Since then you've been ill, raced a fair few times and done a few reps sessions.  Your body is recovering from all of that.  Have an easy week and then ease back into speed training.  You have note become a plodder over night and I'm sure that 'disaster' is all relative in any event.

Right, I'm off to go and watch an olympic flame.  Should be a bit quieter this morning

Oh do stop being the voice of reason Jools  Ruins the fun . Besides, there's no time to have a rest now and then ease into speed training. I'm about to ease out of it and into marathon training! Via a rest week of course. 

MsE - you have finally managed to post pictures! So where are the naked people? Or don't we want to see those?

Edited: 23/05/2012 at 21:09
23/05/2012 at 22:12

TAR - glad i am not on my own, the torch is going straight passed a school I am building and I have a masterly elevated view but CNBA even remotely. My missus thinks its me and she is probably right.

Birch - hope it sortr itself out soon.

MSE - Nice photo

Went for a 5 mile unpaced run which ended up being a recovery run - every time I hit an incline my Hams tightened up into an ache and uncomfortable ache so think that I havent got the Chester Half out of my leg so am probably a DNS for the mersey tunnel 10k. I could run it and beat my lame PB but it would not be a 'run' race so cant see the point. I think there is another 10k late June in Manchester so may turn my attentions to that.

23/05/2012 at 22:32
Nice pic MsE!

Speedy, you are very hard on yourself, either have a rest or let yourself off for not being quite so quick as you expect - either way you'll improve

Well, didn't get home tonight but consoled myself with 4 miles plus 4x100 at 5:05 to 5:10 pace with recoveries at 7:30mm. Think my hip is still a bit tight since the front of my right shin keeps tightening up in a strange way so think my gait is a bit off - easing off with every run though so am sure I'll be right for Sunday.
Looking warm on the forecasts - what's the view on wearing some sort of hat on a hot day? Good idea or bad idea?
18,601 to 18,620 of 35,818 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.