Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

18,621 to 18,640 of 35,667 messages
23/05/2012 at 22:33
Torch passes close to our office but as luck would have it I'm in London that day. I do have tickets for the torch celebration event in Guildford though so may well see it there. Younger Lorenzito managed to get his hands on the torch the other day as someone brought one of the (8000?) torches into his school.

After a rather frustrating time trying to find some available tickets I've managed to get a few more Olympics tickets today: volleyball, table tennis, badminton and boxing!! All part of feeling part of history.

Does anyone know when the process for reselling unwanted tickets starts?

49 miles D and D on the bike today - has suddenly got rather warm down in our neck of the woods.
Edited: 23/05/2012 at 22:35
TR
23/05/2012 at 22:39

CC - give yourself a break ! marathon training already ! with back to back campaigns under your belt, you could (and maybe should) be looking at a 10 week build up (in a match saving/avoiding burn out way).....................on second thoughts Bllx to it, do what makes you happy. Just dont burn out !

Lorenzo - 49 ! I would have had to have gone round the block a few times more.

23/05/2012 at 22:53

TR - was sorely tempted!!

24/05/2012 at 06:21

SD - good to see you're finding your feet again.
MsE - nice pic!
Speedy - do you have an autumn mara planned, then? Don't you think that the disappointment you are feeling over the speedwork so far could be a pointer to you needing a bit of a break first? 
Mennania - so to hear about the ongoing niggle; pulling out of the 10k sounds like a good move.
SJ - always a good feeling to have a bit of a blast.
Lorenzo - getting in some serious miles on the bike now - what is D and D? Other than Dungeons and Dragons, of course
5 steady miles for me this morning at 7:49 m/m.

24/05/2012 at 07:01
Gul - done and dusted! I remember a few school lunchtimes taken up arming wizards and trolls etc etc.
24/05/2012 at 07:09

37:34 for me in last nights mid week club organised 10k. A bit below what I'd hoped for but I've been a bit off the pace the last few weeks. Several top runners from our club missed this race so I scraped a prize as 3rd finisher. Main event is this Sunday at the Sheffield Half- hope my form picks up.

Lovely photo MSE.

24/05/2012 at 07:54
Well done on the podium OO!
24/05/2012 at 08:13
Nice effort OO, I would like to be disappointed with that time. Hopefully with a bit of speed work I can go sub 38 sometime this summer.

Lorenzo, what sort of plan are you following for the bike/run.

I managed 8 miles yesterday after work. A bit of a slog in the heat, bring back the shite weather!!
24/05/2012 at 08:21

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/297347/gallery/clive_cookson230512.jpg?width=350

ca c'est moi

24/05/2012 at 08:27
Nice one OO. Good luck with the half on Sunday too.
24/05/2012 at 09:07

Nice one OO, expect there was half an eye on the half so the 10k may have suffered a bit.

This torch relay thing: can someone confirm it is a bit of very slow runing then a jump into a van to the next bit of slow running? Round me I have Henley at 09:09 and then Bisham at 10:11 and Maidenhead at 10:48. Both of those legs are about 9 miles so either there are clones of MartinH up and down  the place or there is some cheating.

24/05/2012 at 09:41

Moof - no plan at all. Just biking cos

a. I really enjoy it
b. elder Lorenzito has said he's keen to go out at the weekend now that I've passed my old road bike onto him
c. the weather's nice (and I also don't really enjoy running when it's too warm)
d. at just under 25 miles into the office, it's an ideal distance for a good spin
e. I want a bit of a break from following a plan!!

Still haven't entered any cycling events, although I'm tempted by another assault on the Ballbuster Duathlon in the autumn. Sportifs sound interesting, but after a conversation the other day, I'm feeling a bit intimidated by some of the etiquette that you need to follow when riding in a group.

Nice one OO - I'd be more than happy with that performance and a podium finish to boot.

24/05/2012 at 09:43

You look to be in great shape, MsE.  And the asthma inhaler caps it off nicely.

Mennania - Do you mean that you do the actual hardcore building work, or that you walk around the site holding some drawings and looking solemn?  I'm always impressed with runners who do the former.  Where do they find the energy to train?  In races, they should get a head start on the desk-bound johnnies.

Slokey - You travel to work in your own plane?  How marvellous.

24/05/2012 at 10:05
Lorenzo- are you just ticking over on the running front or are you having a complete rest from it.
I would like to increase the frequency of my bike riding without compromising my running form too much at the moment.
24/05/2012 at 10:26

PMJ - yes, the torch relay drives between locations. There's a full schedule online that shows the exact route and timetable and states quite clearly when it's drving & when it's running.

24/05/2012 at 10:28

I'll look out for you on Sunday, OO - you wearing those colours? 

24/05/2012 at 10:53

MsE - Beef cake? Spam fritter, more like. Thanks for the compliment, though (keep 'em coming) , and nice pics.

Lorenzo - No, I don't particularly enjoy swimming, but if that's all I can do at the moment (no elliptical, either, apparently), I will do it, burning martyr-style. I went yesterday, thrashed around for 20-odd minutes (24 lengths of a 25m pool) and that was me. Piano, piano, etc.

I started physiotherapy on Tuesday, and first impressions are positive - I have put myself in the hands of the lovely Paula, from Argentina, and she will sort me out, I know. Stretching, massage, ultrasound and t.e.n.s. (does anybody know what that is?). Paula has also given me a series of exercises to do at home twice a day. Only 7€ a session (55 mins), so I've got to be happy, haven't I?.

As for the x-rays, there are some which cannot be done on the Social Security, and I'm betting they're exactly the ones which my doctor needs to make a full diagnosis. I'm off in a minute to get the ones that can be done, but then I have to wait ten days (!) to get my hands on them. I suspect this is going to be a longer drawn-out process than I thought at first...

Getting very excited for you Edinburgh boys. Can't seem to whip up much enthusiasm for the Olympics, though - just seems to be a load of hyperbole,  and a rip-off at every turn.

24/05/2012 at 11:29
Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)

PMJ - yes, the torch relay drives between locations. There's a full schedule online that shows the exact route and timetable and states quite clearly when it's drving & when it's running.

Thanks, found a useful resource now on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17358291

which gives the route as text with runs and convoy sections.

24/05/2012 at 11:33
SlokeyJoe wrote (see)
Looking warm on the forecasts - what's the view on wearing some sort of hat on a hot day? Good idea or bad idea?

Have you not still got that carrier bag you wore in Manchester?

Waited an hour and a half last night in a group with several five year olds. Fortunately in a park/playground. Then a man in a white jumpsuit ran past carrying a torch. Then we went home. That really is all there is to it. The police motorcycles attracted a lot more attention from the children.

I then did a very slow five miles in very warm weather- legs felt very heavy. probably from all the waiting around!

24/05/2012 at 12:28

yes same kit Birch- you running?

18,621 to 18,640 of 35,667 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.