Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

18,641 to 18,660 of 38,231 messages
26/05/2012 at 08:20

Morning all - good wishes & vibes to the Edinburgh racers, and to OO down here in sunny Sheff. 
2 weeks now on the bench - 4 pints of ale last night - may need a pair of those elasticated waist trousers soon  . . . . .

26/05/2012 at 08:49

I'm so excited for the Edinburgh lot. Can't wait to read the reports. And of course, the Comrades report too. Like OO I have a smaller race tomorrow, just a 10k for me though. I don't feel fit at all, still in post marathon slump, but I'm going to have a go at sub 40 and see if I die or not. Unless it's boiling, in which case I'll just aim to not die fullstop. 

26/05/2012 at 08:50

RJ, read your blog: great stuff. Love this bit:

being brave to hold back when it would be easy to push on and push on when it starts to get tough,

Fraser, have a great race, glad to see you are looking at 6:30, it is a scary target but has to be done. It should feel very very easy at the start so if it doesn;t you know it is too much and adjust, if it does feel easy then let it flow and hope the end comes together. See RJ's quote above.

SJ, chips, beetroot, and 2:59:59, you've got all base covered, AVIT!!!!!

Edited: 26/05/2012 at 08:52
26/05/2012 at 10:25
First park run for me this morning. 18.58 by my watch. A little disappointed with the time, aren't we always. Just got to learn to run the first bit quick, the middle bit quicker and the last bit very quick. Easy.

Good luck all racers this weekend, especially the Edinburgh crew.
26/05/2012 at 11:07
Speedy you should have been in Edinburgh today - I've just read the lady's winning time was 42:42!
26/05/2012 at 11:25

A huge dollop of good luck wishes to all the Edinburgh runners - weather forecast doesn't look too bad so expecting and hoping for great things.

Best of British luck to Speedy, OO and anyone else who's also out there racing tomorrow.

Guildford parkrun for me this morning. As I haven't done much running recently, did just over 50 miles on the bike to and from work yesterday, got in late after a (non-drinking) night out last night, it was pretty warm even at 9am and the course is undulating rather than flat, I wasn't expecting great things but I managed to sneak in around 19:52. About half a minute down on my PB put given all the other factors, I'm more than happy with that.

Starting the process of clearing the garage out this afternoon - bah! 

26/05/2012 at 11:26

Oh no, Minni and I have almost morphed together again!

26/05/2012 at 12:56

10 miles yesterday, should have been 8, but it all felt very easy, so I just continued. 4 miles bimble this morning.

Good luck wishes and positive thoughts for the racers tomorrow.

26/05/2012 at 13:50

Which race was that Minni? Winning ladies at the 10k I'm doing tomorrow usually finish in around 36 - 38 minutes according to the website. I'm hoping for a good race and a good time. A podium position looks unlikely!

26/05/2012 at 15:24

CJ - nice early run!
BOTF - I'll probably be trying out the Llangollen canal towpath later this year.
Bike It - have a safe trip and get used to the altitude ready for next week.
All the best to SJ, FW and RJ in Edinburgh tomorrow. What's the latest weather forecast?
Nice plodding Joolska and Moof.
PMJ - I take it that was walking recoveries?
KR - still great racing and well done on the gongs.
OO - smash it in Sheffield tomorrow.
Speedy - hope the temperature drops a bit for your 10k.
Moof - that's a cracking parkruin debut - no need to be disappointed.
Lorenzo - good parkrun too.
SD - good to see things are progressing nicely.
Parkrun for me today too. I've never run in this sort of heat before, so reasonably happy to come home in 19:59. Less happy to discover that I'm not listed in the results. Paced it better today, 6:20, 6:29, 6:25 and 0:45, I think,. So first mile was still the quickest but not by a silly amount. Total of 9 miles @ 7:09 m/m.

26/05/2012 at 18:55
C'mon Gul, you must more than reasonably happy with a sub 20....it can't be far off the benchmark for a potential sub 3.15 mara which means you are on target to PB by HOURS!!! Thread legend status awaits when you dip your toes back into the mara.

Good luck all racers, perhaps Minni's top half and Lorenzo's legs could enter an event as a team and get a podium place.

Starting to pack kit for next weekend....scary.
Edited: 26/05/2012 at 18:56
26/05/2012 at 20:27
My official time for the park run was 18.56, sixth overall and first in the V40 old farts group. First time for that, so quite pleased really.
Found it difficult trying to pace it right as there's not much time to make up for a cautious pace. With a little more speed work it would be nice to nail sub 6 min mile pace for the course.
26/05/2012 at 20:36
Poacher wrote (see)
perhaps Minni's top half and Lorenzo's legs could enter an event as a team and get a podium place.

Perfect for London next year - Lorenzo will have to carry me around.  I'm sure there's a world record in there somewhere.

Its been very hot today in the North but the good news for the Edinburgh runners is its starting to cool now.

Speedy it was the Edinburgh 10k which is part of the whole Edinburgh Festival of Running weekend.

Moof - nice parkrun.

26/05/2012 at 21:24

Sheffield is not so small Speedy- over 7000 runners. There are 6 V45 prizes though so  I'll be chasing one of them

Did the final race preps. My daughter showed me the high spots of Sheffield- curry ans some cheap wine, all set now.

Good running all I'm off early in the morn.

26/05/2012 at 21:40

Poacher - OK, maybe I'm getting a bit blasé. It was certainly good to overtake a few people in the last mile and a half. I've heard back from the parkrun team and apparently they gave out two no 9 tokens by mistake and had to delete me As far as I can work out, I actually finished 10th.
Moof - Well done on 1st MV40. I think I was 2nd MV45.
OO - not sure I'd risk a curry the night before a race!

26/05/2012 at 22:03

made the mistake of asking my daughter where she'd like to go for a treat ...

27/05/2012 at 00:55

Gul nice parkrun there, sub 20 was a target a while ago and now it is casual.

Moof very solid there. Be sure to get an accurate conversion for 6 minute mile pace: lots of people convert at 1600m to the mile so a 5k is 3.125 miles but it is only 3.10685596 so you have to run faster than 18:45.

27/05/2012 at 07:29
Well done Gul and Moof

Good luck to OO and Speedy today

And thank you ALL for the best wishes for today

Weather here looks overcast at the mo but scheduled to clear by 10 with 2 conflicting sets of weather reports, I am hoping for the bbc's
27/05/2012 at 07:45
Slokey- I'm on my way up the coast and it looks like the sun might burn through sooner than forecast. I'm going through patches of thick fog but every so often the sun's shining through.
27/05/2012 at 08:02

I'm excited for the Embra guys!  Off for my own run now and then rehearsing, but will think of you all.  Hope that if you have the same glorious sunshine as we have in Bristol that there is a gentle, cooling breeze (which is always a tailwind!)

18,641 to 18,660 of 38,231 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.