Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

18,661 to 18,680 of 38,982 messages
27/05/2012 at 08:44

It's boiling, I've had no sleep thanks to noisy party next door all night and I'm the heaviest I've been in years. It might have to be plan B for the 10k. 

OO - I meant small as in not as long as a marathon and not a target race. I did Sheffield last year, had an awful run and finished 11th. I gather they've changed the course though. 

Who'll be back first with their Edinburgh report?

27/05/2012 at 08:47

Hope the sun behaves for the Embras. Good luck guys, and take care of yourselves today.

27/05/2012 at 12:52

13 miles today. Legs felt slightly heavy, but all in an enjoyable run. Puts me over 40 for the week. Biggest week since London.

27/05/2012 at 13:13

Had to resort to plan C - got a monster stitch and slowed to slower than MP by mile 4. Dragged myself over the line in 41.20, which doesn't sound too bad until you realise that the course was VERY short. I got 6.04 for it, others got between 5.81 and 6.00. 

27/05/2012 at 14:46

Not one to retain in the memory , then, Speedy  . . . .
Suppported at Sheff today - think I spotted OO, and called out, although the chap was shirtless and carrying a red vest - if it was you, OO, you seemed well up there - hope you secured some booty . . .

27/05/2012 at 14:59

RJ did very, very well, congrats.

Went down the track this morning to try and get recovery and hard days in line properly as I am racing Tuesday. The youngsters were down there doing middle distance so it ended up as 350, 250 amd 200m off 60 recovery, 3 sets with 10 minutes between sets. Did a very patchy set with 
1) 58, 41, 31 2) 59, 40, 33 3) 65, 43, 35
First and second OK, but massive lactic at the end of 2 so third set was a slow cruise (though still 4:30 pace ). The 400s at the start of this week in 77 seemed fast, these were way much faster, Gamin gave 4:17 for some, all sub 5.

27/05/2012 at 15:56

I'm sorry Birch I did not see or hear you. I always run without my shirt when it's hot- it's a secret weapon (for boys only!). El scorchio conditions today in the Sheffield Half. My time was 1:24. A little slower than I hoped but I'm sure I'll be well placed for a Vet prize as many others seemed to be wilting more than me in the last 3 miles.

5 miles= 32. Then 10 miles 64:10, so pretty even pace. The hills weren't half as bad as people made out. Not after Keswick anyway...

27/05/2012 at 16:14
Quick report
Sun was out in force from the off but stuck to plan A of sub3.
Held the pace for the first 7 but tbh was feeling like hard work from mile 3
Than started to drift off the pace and felt v hot
Had a little walk at mile 9!
Chest felt tight after that and scraped my way to halfway then calf cramped up at anything faster than a spritely walk and it was a long way from there
Managed the odd jog but it was a painful day out finishing in 4:15 I think the lack of training over the last couple of months and my aversion to heat both caught up with me big time - and of course sticking to a plan that was feeling v tough so early on.
Great to meet FW and RJ at the start (RJ looked like he was seriously motoring when he went passed me on one of the loops). Sorry I missed you Minni.
Off home now for some drinkies.
27/05/2012 at 16:23

Sorry to hear it was a tough day for you, SJ.  I'm impressed you finished in those conditions!  I did try and cyber-stalk, but no results up until tomorrow, apparently.  Recover well.

27/05/2012 at 16:51

SJ - Enjoy the drinks and great effort in finishing - Respect to anyone running anything today least of all a marthon - Its 27 on the mercury and no wind where I am and not contemplating anything today - did 6 last night with no watch, no target and no records and was quite pleasant.

27/05/2012 at 17:07

SJ Enjoy the drinks, you have earned them. Great effort to finish once the wheels and cramp kicked in.

27/05/2012 at 17:35
Birch, doesn't 27 sound a bit arctic?

(Only joking...)

Commiserations SJ, it wasn't your day but you must have toughed it out so full respect for getting round. Prob too hot for a sub 3 attempt, but you have to be in it to win it. Make sure you rest up properly now.
27/05/2012 at 17:43

Yes, pretty mild, I thought, Poach .....
SJ - seems very similar to the Boston experience for you - but you had the nads to get to the finish, so hat off to you, sir  . . . .

27/05/2012 at 17:50

Bad luck, SJ and Speedy.  Sounds like it wasn't your day today. Well done, SJ for getting round in any case.

Super racing as ever by OO. I admire your racing as you always seem to run as planned and so intelligently.  Does this come with lots of practice?

I am so pleased for the mighty RJ!  He did extremely well.  What next eh?  The mind boggles.  When was it he began running again? Before my time arriving on here as a young gay man I know, but not that long ago, right?

Some nice sets there, Phil.  

27/05/2012 at 17:50
Oh SJ sorry to hear that. I actually ran Edinburgh today too but it wasn't pleasant. Will report when I get home. RJ was looking the perfect athlete when I saw him at about 20 miles. He really does deserve to do well. Great catch up with him and Fraser at the start. It was fecking hot.
27/05/2012 at 17:51

Memorial day celebrations here combined with the 75th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge means a day filled with fun events including a vintage car competition and evening fireworks. Fun fun fun (US style)!

27/05/2012 at 18:38

Well done SJ conditions sound awful- no way I could have continued another 13 in that heat.

MsE- I do usually run even pace, partly experience and partly old legs which have reduced top speed. There was a young guy from my club predicting he'd run 1:22 and out to get my scalp. He went off like a rocket. I passed him at 6 miles and he finished 4 minutes behind me. Definately a case of experience over youth.

27/05/2012 at 19:15

Slokey - Bad luck mate, I really, really empathise with you. Well done for finishing - you now know just how important and difficult that is. You WILL have better days, days where all your hard work is rewarded,  just as it would be in a fair and just world. 

Speedy - Sorry to hear you struggled today. Shove it in that box under the bed marked "experience", get some rest, eat well and come back stronger than ever.

Looking forward to a couple of race reports. Careful there and whoa boy with thread etiquette, eh? We'll know in good time.

Me, I sat in the sun on a terrace with beers and a good book, then went for more beer in a garden before having lunch on a terrace in beautiful countryside - Russian salad, fabada, roast beef and three-chocolate cake. Wine, water and coffee. 116-25€. Stood up to go home at nearly seven o'clock.

What? Oh - no, no running.

27/05/2012 at 19:21

Well run OO - great time in the heat.Good to give the youngster a lesson.

Sorry it wasn't your day Speedy - don't lose your mojo though

In brief - 3.02. Bit disappointed. It was warm but I think in reality I set off too fast and was a tad greedy. Oh well. There's always next time and that's what we keep coming back for.

A pal of mine who was all set to run had to pull out due to serious illness so bleating about a few minutes seems trivial

Was great to meet up with RJ,Minni and SJ (briefly)

Marathons aren't easy are they !

Full report and naval gazing reflections to follow during the week

27/05/2012 at 19:21
What is fabada? Does it involve chips? If not, why not?
18,661 to 18,680 of 38,982 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.