Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

18,761 to 18,780 of 35,606 messages
28/05/2012 at 08:46

Some excellent racing over the weekend, even if it was not up to everyone's targets.

OO - Excellent time given the conditions.

SJ - Hard luck. Gonna be a bad day when it all goes wrong that early.  Well done for completing it though.

Speedy - I would just consign that to history.  Good to hear that you are planning running for fun for a couple of weeks.  Running should be fun after all!!!

Fraser - It was tough conditions yesterday.  3.02 is a cracking time in that heat.  Don't be too down about it.  You know you have sub-3 in you.

Minni - Again, well done for slogging it out in very tough conditions.

Brilliant RJ.  Not much more can be said.  Well deserved after having the guts to drop out of London.  Well done.

28/05/2012 at 09:26

Fraser I am sure on the right day the time would be quicker. The campaign will have been of great help for future attempts, hopefully you won't race a hotter one.

Minni Well down on keeping it quiet. Running to full on marathons within five weeks of each other is very impressive.

RJ Not a bad time. You must be delighted and very well paced, even more so given the heat.

28/05/2012 at 09:41

Ha ha!  I've just logged my time on MT and the results table shows RJ top of the boys and me top of the girls! 

OO I'm not going to make the coastal because it clashes with something else.  I've already promised my place to someone else otherwise you could have had it.  Are you on the reserve list?

Great HM from you yesterday - sorry I missed that yesterday.

I'm sure I'll see you at Blaydon a week on Saturday though?

28/05/2012 at 12:15
Well done RJ, that is an outstanding performance. With a little bit more speed work I'm hoping to get up to your MP. ( for my 800 intervals!!)

Nice , on the quiet, marathon for you too Minni.
28/05/2012 at 12:16

Yes I'm at Blaydon Minni- maybe the Tynedale 10k as well. Not on the reserves for the Coastal but hoping somebody will drop out. If not it's and easy one to run anyway and stear clear of the finish on the beach. 

My legs feer reasonably good today- so no damage done.

28/05/2012 at 13:32

Some great racing in the heat this weekend. Well done Fraser, to be able to get that kind of time in the heat was brilliant! Super time RJ, enjoy the rest!

28/05/2012 at 13:53

Outstanding running RJ - I can but dream....

Minni the minx for keeping it quiet! Great effort!

FW - As has been said previously - 3.02 in yesterdays conditions bodes very well for your next campaign as you know that it is there

OO - Super half.

28/05/2012 at 14:24

Inspirational run RJ and a great blog. Wish I hadn't read it today as I'm supposed to be tapering and now want to go and knock out 100m @ 5:42 pace!

Well done to all you racers this weekend, some great times and inspiring stories and personal battles you all had to get through.

Two weeks to go for me. Had a shortish 14mile run at the weekend on some road I found that replicated the marathon I am running - it either goes up 3% , or down, but no flat sections of any note.  Managed a decent run getting my average pace around 7:20. A little bit of blowing at the top of the hills, and then some nice fast downhills.

28/05/2012 at 15:07

RJ fantastic result in the heat.I personally thought everyone's times would suffer a little but you proved otherwise, hope you had plenty of beer type recovery drinks last night...

FW  echo whats already been said, great result in high temps.  Well done.

SJ another great effort, and to see it to the end was very courageous, i think many would have DNF. Erase,rest and prepare for the next campaign.

Minni well done to you too, so soon after London a great effort even if it was a surprise to a lot of us on here

OO great half mara in the sun, big chunk off that time in cooler weather.

28/05/2012 at 20:46

also ran- 'shortish 14 miler' is that 13 miles?

I'm not too badly affected by heat efc-col. I probably lost about 5 secs per mile. I was was planning 6:15 pace and actually ran 6:20, all even pace except the 1st mile a bit quicker.  

5 mile recovery tonight, legs feel fine.

28/05/2012 at 21:35
OO lets go. wrote

also ran- 'shortish 14 miler' is that 13 miles?

More in terms of time on legs! My bad english. Felt like a little run out after last weekends 23 miles.

Ticking along on a very easy, 8:30m/m  5 miler tonight, and 4 miles in my right calf suddenly tightens and ends in sharp pain. Exactly the same happended on the week before my HM - I  really eased off on mileage and pace and the same calf went on a slow run during taper week. Think I will have to have 3 or 4 days feet up to get rid of this. Something else to stress about now.

Edited: 28/05/2012 at 21:36
28/05/2012 at 22:57
Also-ran, a sports massage always sorts out my tight calfs. A bit painful but worth it.
29/05/2012 at 06:22

AR - sports massage sounds like a good idea, plus a bit more rest as you say.
Today's re-shuffled schedule gave me 7 miles with 5 x 3 min 5k efforts with 3 min recoveries. First 3 miles to warm-up and then last 4 including reps and recoveries @ 7:05, 6:59, 7;00 and 7:00 m/m. No idea what sort of pace the 5k efforts were, but they seem to be consistent.

29/05/2012 at 07:22

Fraser - Really well done on a great result in that heat.

AR - Unless you have actually torn something major - and you would know if you had - a good sports massage will see you right. Prepare yourself for 25 minutes of exquisite pain and 25 of bliss.

29/05/2012 at 07:24

that does sound worrying AR- a bit of self massage and stretching might be enough.

29/05/2012 at 07:25
Minni wrote (see)
Basically I'm just going to do what ever Race Jase does. If it works for him...!

Sleep with a Polish lady and drink beer?

RJ Cracking effort - sub 2:30, I doff my veritably sweaty hat to you sir.

Just checking in after a quick site visit to the Kimberley (the equivalent of flying to Greece and back in a day).

FW 3.02, I'd swap a left testie for 3:02 at present in any conditions, never mind another hot Edinbro marafun. & I'd probably struggle with 3min 2 sec at that pace today.

Great running OO
Great slogging Minni/SJ

& Speedy if you don't rest I'm going to get FW to tranquilise you.

29/05/2012 at 08:22

Pretty sure my calf is  nothing too serious - my morning walk was not too bad. Does't feel as bad as last time, and  I'm sure nothing is torn. I've got a massage booked in for this week, meanwhile I'll dig out the baby oil

29/05/2012 at 08:37

AR - ice, ibuprofen gel, compression.

29/05/2012 at 13:10

All very quiet on here today - is the heat proving too much to run in?

2nd consecutive day on the bike for me and thought I'd take a slightly different route in to avoid road works and traffic hold ups. Was expecting to tag an extra mile on the journey but hadn't planned for the fact that Dastardly and Muttley had been in front of me and switched a road sign around. Upshot was that 10 minutes later I found myself back on the same stretch of road as I'd already been on earlier but going in the opposite direction. What should have been around 26 miles ended up being a journey of over 31 miles. Still, at least the weather was very pleasant.

Talking of cycling, managed to get some tickets for the Box Hill part of the Men's Road Race. Not successful in getting tickets at the top, but should still be a good position.

Same old Windy I see!!

"Sneakiest forumite of the week" award to Minni - well done on getting another one in so soon after your performance at London.

29/05/2012 at 15:58

Lorenzo - How much are those Box Hill tickets, if you don't mind my asking?

Public holiday here today, so having had the requisite siesta, I will listen to the latest episode of Marathon Talk while out on a walk round the city, dressed in running gear. It's the closest I can get to real exercise...

Chhhhsssk - that Windy, eh?

Edited: 29/05/2012 at 16:01
18,761 to 18,780 of 35,606 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.