Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

18,801 to 18,820 of 37,213 messages
30/05/2012 at 13:18

Know exactly what you mean Jools- convinced myself I could never run races again at sub 6 per mile, and occasionally I can.

Only 10k's in my calender this  summer so far- distinct lack of longer races in my area apart from the Great North Run.

30/05/2012 at 13:28

Funny stuff going on with this thread, unless it's just my computer, that is. Did anybody see a message from someone going on about and buying and selling cars? I made reference to it and now it's disappeared...

30/05/2012 at 14:31

You're not going mad Ant, it was a spam posting that appeared in several threads. Somebody at RW must have been doing some cleaning up

30/05/2012 at 17:57

yes I posted something suggesting what else Speedy might discover in the B&Q car park- I think they may have cleaned that up too

30/05/2012 at 19:59

I did wonder what Martin was on about.....

30/05/2012 at 20:34
So what else do you find in a B&Q car park? A burger van?

Well done Joolska on the new PB.

Sorry to hear the knee is still playing up Martin.

Some controlled 1k reps for me today, as in trying not to go off too fast on the first one and avoiding a crash and burn on the last. Fairly successful with a 2 mile wu, 5 x 1K @ 6.01, 5.54, 5.58, 5.56 and 6.0 m/mile pace with 2 min jog recoveries. 1 mile wd. The last rep didn't feel as tough as usual, so hopefully I can put those five reps together for a decent parkrun time next Saturday.
MsE
30/05/2012 at 20:46

Well done, Jools, on beasting your old PB!  All bodes well for a future marathon.  

Hope Ant and Martin are soon back running as fast as they ever were.

Shame I missed what you posted, OO. My middle name being Finbarr Saunders according to MrE (actually, I blame him). 

I started my long runs last week with my marathon at the end of July. I have only done 2 hour jobbies (not literally! Just imagine....) of around 15-16 miles so far this year since arriving in San Fran. Hoping to fit in enough of them to build a decent endurance base and that some speed work will be useful.  Last week's 20 averaged 8m/m and today it came out at 7:50m/m at the same effort level, easy, so hopefully that is a good sign that the legs are turning over quickly with less effort.

30/05/2012 at 21:28

Jools Belated congrats on the PB

Martin Sorry to hear about the slow recovery

Ant I am due home end of June/start of July, not sure of exact dates yet.

Moof Nice consistant, controlled reps.

MsE Very impressive start to the mara capaign.

No running for me last night, as at the last minute we sailed back up to Monaco and arrived too late to run, but not to go out. Felt over tired today, for some reason, and had to really fight off the CNBA fairy. Once out and warmed up after a steep hill, I just glided and it was all very nice indeed. Plan was 6-8 miles, ended up 11.5 at 8:13mm with HR 75%. Felt like I could have carried on. 

30/05/2012 at 21:47
Room on the bench for another? Have had tight hammys last 10 days, but hoped monthly massage last night would sort me out. 10,000m club champs tonight and although hammys tight beforehand, felt ok in warm up, and for first few laps, then OUCH. Twenty yards after feeling it a bit tight it cramped/tweaked/pulled - what's the difference? I've never had hamstring problems before, what's the fix?

Very frustrating, supposed to have my first tri in ten days!

Nice efforts in varying ways by Scooby, MsE, Jools, moof among others.
Edited: 30/05/2012 at 21:48
30/05/2012 at 22:01

Scooby - Hooray! Should be possible to meet up, surely?

Jezza - Bad luck, mate, I'll shift up a bit further. Plenty of room on here.

30/05/2012 at 22:12
Careful you don't fall off the end, Ant!
30/05/2012 at 22:20

Hope your calf woes are better after a bit of rest AR, maybe a session of massage might help too. I know the last time I got cramp in a marathon last Autumn I went for a sports massage and all the tightness went away. Have you been having any sports massages in your campaign. I think a prolongled amount of mileage can lead to a build up of muscle fatigue and a good massage can ease the muscles.

Take it, take it Jools, a PB is a PB no matter what the distance. Congratulations on a greta time. Did you celebrate in the Bridge Inn afterwards ? Nice mile spilts BTW, interesting to see that running by feel can produce a good time. I know what you mean about a mental block though, as I think you can fraked out my early mile splits?

Speedy, what drew you to the back of B&Q? I'm old enough to remember Dr & the Medics first time round! Free concert sounds good though!

Shame the knee is still dodgy Martin, just give it a bit of time.

Nioce consistent 1k reps moof

I think those 2 hour jobbies have helped keep the endurance there MsE. Have you got a plan with the amount of 20 milers planned?

Wonder why you felt tired today Scooby?! Good mileage once you got out.

Ouch, Jezza. I know it might be a stupid question, but can you still do the swimming & biking with your dodgy hammy or do you need to rest it completely?

Had a good track session last night of 10 x 600m reps with 1 minute recoveries. Reps came out at av time of 2.04 with the last one dipping under in 1.58. Tonight's 6 milers felt a bit tough, but managed 39.35 (av pace of 6.35).

30/05/2012 at 22:54
Not a silly question at all KR, will see how it is tmw - want to see a fizz for diagnosis as no1 priority. Nice reps and v speedy sixer.
30/05/2012 at 23:45
Jezza_B wrote (see)

Twenty yards after feeling it a bit tight it cramped/tweaked/pulled - what's the difference? I've never had hamstring problems before, what's the fix? 

Jezza (can't get out of dam box either), like most issues, the fix is usually rest and light stretching (but you probably already know that).  Most of my historic hamstring problems have been related to lower back issues/tightness, and being as flexible as a pig on a spit.  Will be interested to see what the fizz says.

31/05/2012 at 06:45

Martin - sorry to hear your knee is still not playing ball. Hang on in there.
Moof - nice set of reps. Good luck with the parkrun.
MsE - looking good for the mara in July - is that in San Fransisco?
Jezza - sorry to hear about your hamstring problem. Hope you can get a good diagnosis.
KR - good reps and speedy 6 miler.
6 miles for me this morning, plus 5 x 75s hill reps, walking back down for recovery. All in all that makes 25 runs in May, totalling 129 miles in 16:59:09, avg pace 7:54 m/m and 1PB Off for a week's camping holiday on Saturday, so take care everyone if I don't drop in beforehand.

31/05/2012 at 07:33
Nice one Joolska, they all count.
Congrats to Scooby on defeating the annoying fairy
Off to Brum via Kent for the big race - not feeling optimistic so wish me luck. Unless I feel those votes of support coming through the ether I will post another pic of my feet.
31/05/2012 at 07:36

Scooby, sailing into Monacco- what a charmed life you lead.

Another rest day yesterday. I left my wallet at work and had to go back. After that I just couldn't be bothered with a late run. Hoping to recover during the long w/end with long runs everyday.

Anybody got exciting plans for the w/end?  

31/05/2012 at 08:52
knight rider wrote (see)

Hope your calf woes are better after a bit of rest AR, maybe a session of massage might help too. I know the last time I got cramp in a marathon last Autumn I went for a sports massage and all the tightness went away. Have you been having any sports massages in your campaign. I think a prolongled amount of mileage can lead to a build up of muscle fatigue and a good massage can ease the muscles.

Thanks KR

Thanks KR. I had already booked in an hour massage for tomorrow. Last time I had a massage was when the same calf went just before my HM. Things are feeling a little better today - a bit more rest, massage, stretching and light running will hopefully do it.
I've been on a bit of a knife edge regarding injuries since starting in January (no running before January, but a high mileage hiker).  Really haven't followed basic guidelines on building up the mileage, so probably deserve this!

31/05/2012 at 09:22

MsE, same question as KR. Today is last day of May and SF marathon is Sunday July 29th so last long run should be Sunday 1st or Sunday 8th July and that means there are 5 or 6 Sundays for long runs so you must be looking at 3 or 4 more tops as you can't do 20 or more every weeek.

Little fright this week: did the very fast track session with the youngsters on Sunday and was badly stiff (DOMS) on Monday so slow recovery (5 @ 8 m/m pace) but still stiff on Tuesday but I went ahead and raced lunchtime to see if it would clear but 6:01, 6:16 and 6:18 and bits says it didn't for a very slow 5k. Yesterday I was hobbling so took everything: a day off running, ibruprofen, vitamins and minerals and today it seems to be clear. Few easy ones for the end of the week and then rest over the weekend before racing again next week.

31/05/2012 at 09:37

Jezza: sounds like what happened to me in the Bath Half.  One minute I was aware of a tight hamstring, the next a very sharp pain indeed at the top of the hammie.  I never did find out exactly what had caused it, but the 'cure' was rest, stretching (very gently), ice, heat and massage.

KR: race HQ is no longer in the Bridge Inn, I'm afraid...  I just cycled home instead!

18,801 to 18,820 of 37,213 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.