Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

18,841 to 18,860 of 37,879 messages
04/06/2012 at 12:38

Stunning performance and 100% the correct decision. In those coonditions it could have gotten dangerous. Already thinking about doing another as well. Truely amazing.

04/06/2012 at 12:58

Poacher  - definitely the right decision made and still a very impressive run.  My friend did the London 100 at the weekend too and said the weather was horrendous.

Jools - we'll share the pain.  I'm dreading it.  I think that's why I chose to do Edinburgh - putting it off for as long as possible!!

04/06/2012 at 13:06

nice fast stuff from speedy,jools,KR and RJ and good pb,s.

Bike it brilliant effort and quite an achievement, well done.

Scoobs great 16+ miler in the heat, how are the legs today?

Poacher great report and a very wise decision to DNF when you did, so don't beat yourself up.As you have said you have not had the ideal lead up to such a mammoth Grand Union Canal run,but much respect to even attempt it in horrendous conditions. You still had a blinding 100m run well done mate.

10m bimble in the wet yesterday quite enjoyable been out again rest and beer today but hope to get out again tomorrow.

04/06/2012 at 18:30

Blimey. Been away for a couple of days so lots to catch up on, but really only need to say two things - Bike It - fantastic! Poacher - it might not feel like it right now, but a fantastic thing you did too, the pulling out as much as the run. 

04/06/2012 at 19:20
Sorry to hear about the DNF Poacher but massive cojones for roughing it out and still knocking out a 100MILE PB!!
04/06/2012 at 19:21
Sorry to hear about the DNF Poacher but massive cojones for toughing it out and still knocking out a 100MILE PB!!
04/06/2012 at 19:59

Great finish there bikeit. Also poacher hard decision to DNF but seems like it was the right one: unseasonable for the time of the year, you haven't had the best of luck with weather this year.

Four days off in a row for me, things were going badly and we had a family holiday so rather than chasing runs I had a few glasses and relaxed. Last week was 17 miles in 3 days. Will race 5k tomorrow on fresh legs and see if it is to be or not.

04/06/2012 at 20:50
Great report Poacher and a wise move to pull out once then bones start to get cold.

I was thinking about going out for a run tonight but now I've just read PMJ has had four days off, I'm gonna have two! Plus a beer.
Back on it tomorrow, promise.
04/06/2012 at 21:23

Bike It, big respect for completing the Comardes and getting a brilliant time on that tough course, hope you have been enjoying a bit of a chill out and a few beers.

Poacher - running that kind of distance unsupported is amazing, no shame whatsoever in not finishing and a very wise (and incredibly tough) decision to pull out. I think it takes more balls to do what you did and your experience certainly helped you - some good lessons learnt too. Well done on your 100m PB!

04/06/2012 at 22:15
Poacher. Still a spectacular effort that is a million miles out of my league. I can't comprehend running that type of distance. As you say, once you've done something like that the belief to flagellate yourself to do it all again is really hard to muster again. Truly brilliant stuff

I'm pootling round again. Taking an easy week or two though
MsE
05/06/2012 at 04:25

Can I just say that both BikeIt and Poacher are absolute heroes in my books for their respective achievements?!  

A fantastic time for Comrades, BikeIt! You must be so pleased.  Where will you go to next I wonder? Back down to a mere marathon or onto the next ultra?  I have been reading about the Western States 100 around these parts which sounds very enticing (did I just say that?) Fancy coming over for that?

And Poacher, without wishing to ignore the disappointment you express over a DNF, I think what comes across is your incredible experience and wisdom in these long races to take the decision to stop while you were ahead (a 100M PB!) and able to. Well done (if I can say that?) because it has certainly opened my eyes to what an ultra can entail.  Fancy the Western States 100 for your 100M PB attempt? 

More long runs over this side of the pond as I prepare for the San Francisco marathon.  My third 20 miler today was meant to be a hilly one so I decided to do the hilly bits of the race course a couple of times to see how they felt.  It was an unusually wet day with squally blustery showers but the dog and I went out nonetheless knowing we had a small time frame to get it done before collecting MsEttes  and a MsEsq from school. They all finish school for summer tomorrow would you believe?! To cut a long (run) story short, I found myself cruising along nicely at GMP without feeling like it was GMP at all and had to keep pulling back until I realised I was running out of time to collect the kids and so put my foot on the pedal for a HMP final half mile.  20.5 miles done in 2:40 (7:47m/m av) with several at MP and a bit at HMP.  What's that all about?  <hopeful> Can this be the result of some speedwork? </hopeful> Happy with how bouncy I am feeling. 

05/06/2012 at 07:51
Thanks for all your words of wisdom folks, fellow runners understand where I'm coming from. As amateur endurance athletes one of the most powerful weapons in our armoury is the fact that we equate quitting with losing, and thus will go through all sorts of mental and physical pain to avoid giving in. As Vince Lombardi said, "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser". Then again, Kenny Rogers observed that you have to know when to fold 'em and when to walk away. I'm inevitably unimpressed that I folded, but it's done now and apart from one blister I don't feel any worse than if I'd done a fast-ish 40 or 50m. Back in the saddle quite soon. Only my 2nd crack at three figures and theres much more to learn from failure than success.

More interestingly, PMJ took FOUR whole days off - is the world coming to an end???

MsE it sounds like you are in great shape and will cane that mara, although isn't the SF course a bit hilly with some tough stuff in the 15-20m region just when the legs are starting to feel it? Remember Vince and ignore Kenny at that stage. As for the WS100, it's a truly legendary race but only one of many real toughies. Recommended reading is "Running through the wall" by Neal Jamison.
Edited: 05/06/2012 at 07:55
05/06/2012 at 08:27

Bike it and Poacher I'm full of admiration for your ultra achievements. I don't know how you can keep going for those distances- butI have no ambition whatsoever to try it myself - not my strength at at. Truely well done.

The jubilee challenge is on course Minni- 50 in 5 days so far so just 10 today to round it off. Although with Blaydon as my big focus, this schedule doesn't make much sense. I'll also be out with the poles shortly. As I said, it's mainly to find a sport I can do with my wife- and the half way coffee and cake is an added bonus  

05/06/2012 at 13:41

as ever so much to catch up on when absent a few days but like others got to say BIG respect for BikeIt and Poacher for their different forms of heroics.  Wow

awesome 20 miler by MsE too, top speed 2nd place by RJ, and looking forward to seeing PMJ's 5k result

05/06/2012 at 13:42
Poacher said "I don't feel any worse than if I'd done a fastish 40 or 50 miler" oh is that all? what planet are you on...? Brilliant

Love the Lombardi quote

Tramped up the hill last night to see the beacons - could see them on the north Wales coast and Blackpool to the south, yorkshire dales to the east and the Lakeland mountains to the north all set off with the full moon reflecting in the bay - epic

Managed to buy my wife exactly the same bracelet two years running for her birthday - not a smart move, oops - mind you she did like it the first year so she shouldn't complain too much eh?
05/06/2012 at 19:43

MsE It is great when it all starts coming together, with HMP at the end of a 20 miler. Very nice.

SJ I think that shows you are consistant when you think about what your wife would like. It should be seen as a positive.

Col The legs felt surprisingly good yesterday. So much so;

Like a few on here I think I need a sumer of speed, but not looking forward to it. So 8 miles tonight with middle 5km in 20:07. Hoping for sub 20, but realisitically good marker down. Having to run for 1km and the turn and run back for 1km, then repeat, I believe slowed me by approx 68 seconds. Roughly following the first week of P&D upto 55, as a cut back week. So rest tomorrow.

05/06/2012 at 20:43

Great long long long running BikeIt and obviously Poacher. Nice bit of speed Scooby. My own summer of speed (although speed is very subjective) began today, with an easing in of 8x400m with 60 seconds rest, reps were pretty even at round 5.56 m/m pace, so just under 90 seconds a rep.

I also popped my fitness class cherry, with a brutual boxing themed class...ouch...cardio was fine, but by the end i could not do hardly any of the press-ups and planks being asked - the muscles just would not comply, I was chicked so many times ;0) I will be back next week, got to build some core and upper bosy strength somehow. 

05/06/2012 at 21:35

68 seconds, eh, SD?  How remarkably precise!

Club session for me tonight.  Schedule said 4 x 1M off 300m but I'm a bit dubious about the length of the efforts as: (a) my Garmin got them as about 0.95M; (b) they took 6.03, 5.56, 5.56 and 5.55, which is faster than I would expect at the moment; if they were actually 0.95M then they were more like 6.15-6.20m/m which is where I would expect to be on the basis of last week's 5k.  Still, a decent workout either way, with the warm up and cool down runs bringing up a total of 11M.

05/06/2012 at 21:48

7 miles tonight so 3 short of the Jubilee challenge (60 in 6 days). However, I did 4 miles with the walking poles today, plus 12 over the long weekend, so I'll claim that as job done. Unfortunately I've also been eating for England and gained about 3 more lbs over the w/end. My stomach feels like a medicine ball. 

Good effort Chris- it's quite humbling to try something other than running and to discover that your fitness is not transferable .  

05/06/2012 at 22:18
No miles for me again today. I know, just plain lazy. Still, there is always tomorrow to buck my ideas up!!
18,841 to 18,860 of 37,879 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.