Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

18,861 to 18,880 of 37,119 messages
02/06/2012 at 10:23

Hope all is going well, Poacher.  Nut case

Parkrun for me this morning and back to the more hilly 5k route available to Bristolians.  Means the usual wonky splits (7.31, 6.57, 5.38 and 33 seconds as I sprinted - by my standards - to the line to ensure I remained 1st lady!) but another course pb (20.40 or thereabouts) so I'll take it.  Off to a wedding shortly and hoping that the weather holds, as otherwise my optimistically summer-y sartorial choice will be sorely regretted...

02/06/2012 at 12:25

Jools Nice Pb, 2 in two weeks. Enjoy the wedding.

OO Basically after a couple of recovery weeks and then rest after London. Feeling fresh I ran 43 last week and 46 this week. After a great run on Wed, my legs feel heavy and yesterday whilst the stats were bang on, I struggled to get my HR up. I just feel a cut back to 4 runs and 30+ miles will help the legs. Also I very rarely do any hill work, in and around Monaco every run contains hill work. Plus, I have had a couple of late nights this week, which may not have helped.

02/06/2012 at 13:22

Parkrun for me again this morning, on a rather flatter course than Jools'. This time I did succeed in getting my sub 20 (19.48) but once again it was pretty much full on effort. Bernie Ford (former 2.10 marathoner) thought I must have been on for a PB as I was 'gunning so hard at the end' (or was that 'gurning'?!). It is a parkrun PB I suppose, but still a long way from my actual best. 

I warmed down with his missus and my clubmate Ann Ford and took the opportunity to quiz her on the mileage she was doing back in her peak (she's V60 now). Apparently when she ran 2.30.38 at London she was only running 70 - 80 miles a week, but she did point out that she'd been running seriously since the age of 12. 

02/06/2012 at 16:31
Well done on 1st lady and course PB Jools. Crazy mile splits!
Great sub 20 Parkrun Speedy. I think to get a PB you defo need to gun for it.

Got another Parkrun PB too today of 18.21 and it felt a bit tough near the end. Not sure what the minute mile was as the Garmin doesn't like some of the sharp twists and turns on the course?
02/06/2012 at 16:37

Good work, Jools, Speedy & KR . . . . .

02/06/2012 at 18:43

Nicely done Jools -  those splits ar kerazzee.

Speedy - speedy.

KR - well done fella.

I ran the Harvel 5 this aftrenoon and after having a few beers and a macdonalds last night, a pizza just two hours before the B of the Bang (it was a proper shotgun too) and it only being six days post Edinburgh I wasn't expecting a great deal. Oh did I mention I've put on c3kgs too?

As it turned out I ran pretty well, but couldnt really hurt myself so when Peter Tucker (a guy I beat last week by 20sec) turned it on at 3 miles I didnt have the balls to lift the effort level and go with him. Still I came in with a new PB of 26:07 and second place so was pretty chuffed. There is a whopping amount to come off that with time and fresher legs too so it'll do for now.

Ant yes, running's alright init?

02/06/2012 at 20:19

It seems nobody had a bad run today- which makes a nice change.

6 at the track for me followed by 4 walking with Nordic poles (just to keep Mrs OO company). 14 tomorrow will give me 44 for the week. Then a mixed week. 10 on Monday & Tuesday to complete my Jubilee challenge 60 (counting 6 days) , then a light 1/2 week with just a speed sessions ahead of the famous Blaydon race next Saturday. Not so different to you Scoobs but I'm feeling fine, although top speed is a bit lacking. 

02/06/2012 at 20:48
Calf still sore for me. Had the physio dig some knots out yesterday, and jogged a few miles today. Sore but its not inhibiting my running form. One week to go for my 'virgin' marathon. Was hoping to do a tempo run beginning of week, but I think rest, stretching, heat, ice etc is the order of the day.

I've not lost much running since injury, but confidence has been affected a little. Still got 3.15 in mind at present, provided calf holds up.
02/06/2012 at 20:52

I'm a bit late to the party but congrats and commiserations respectively to those who ran e'boro last week.

I will also apologise for starting 'The snip' thread.... although it really should be called 'The burn' now.

Well it took me 4 weeks since VLM, but i have finally done a few small runs these last few weeks which were desperately needed as I was getting fat. Aiming to do short stuff mostly to get fit. I have a natural plodding endurance without really being that fit; so lots of intervals, hill sprints etc I think are needed and desired.

02/06/2012 at 21:38
Well done on all the PB's today to Joolska, speedy, KR and RJ.

KR you are flying at the moment on the shorter stuff! What sort of quality runs and how many per week are you doing at the moment to improve your times? And weekly mileage?
02/06/2012 at 23:27

Weekly mileage is probably around 30 ish miles moof off 5/6 runs per week. Doing more shorter runs at the moment during the week, focusing on track reps on Tuesday, fast/brisk 5-6 miler on Wednesday and a 5 miler with 5k paced miles on Thursday. All the Sunday runs seem to be fairly steady around 7.20 ish (dare I say sub 3.15 mara pace) but only about 10 miles max. It feels strange not to be concentrating on the longer marathon target at the moment and I like it. Bigger picture is to get my shorter distance times down and concentrate on an Autumn half and a Spring 2013 marathon. I hope it is all connected .

Edited: 02/06/2012 at 23:29
03/06/2012 at 07:31

Speedy Sub 20 , very impressive.

KR Nice brisk pace.

03/06/2012 at 09:11
KR- I don't think my knees, hips. Shins, etc, etc. Could handle three fast days in a row. Two quality sessions a week for me at the moment, reps on a Tuesday and tempo or fast hill work on Friday. I do all my intervals along the canal towpath but do wonder if I would benefit from running them on a track. (Still haven't joined a club yet.)
03/06/2012 at 09:45
Thanks for all the kind thoughts, which worked to an extent. A strange day at the office with 3.8 marathons, 100km & 100m PBs, then my first ever DNF. I'll explain anon. David Bailey is coming round to photograph the feet later. Time for a hot bath.
03/06/2012 at 12:04

Nice parkruns by the Glamazons & KR

Good run RJ, one of my club was just behind you in 5th (although racing as his other club)

I've practically forgotten what running is at the moment, what with being ill and various other events cropping up I managed a whole 48 miles in May, and 11 of those was 2 races. June isn't starting much better - on Thursday my right knee started giving me some quite sharp pains and the whole thing is a little tender, then yesterday I got woken at 5:15 by an almighty cramp at the top of my left calf. It eased off eventually but now the whole calf is really tender and sore. So with both legs being slightly crocked I canned my run today and instead stayed in bed until nearly 11am.

03/06/2012 at 13:08

I was out early for 13 miles at 8:40 pace- so nice to have no pressure during the LSR on distance or pace. After that Mrs OO had me out with the Nordic poles again- 6 miles this time. The nice thing about that is you can stop half way for a coffee.

03/06/2012 at 14:49

Well done, RJ.  Very good running so soon after a flat out and very fast marathon!

Also well done, Speedy.  5ks are not easy.  I think 70-80mpw is plenty for people our standard.

Poacher: as long as you're ok... 

03/06/2012 at 17:31

Hooray for Speedy and Jase, hoisting the Thread flag high, as usual.

OO, what is the "deal", as our colonial cousins might put it, with those Nordic poles?

03/06/2012 at 18:40

walking sticks to you Ant!

03/06/2012 at 19:27
Saw the DNF on the website Poacher. Hope everything is OK.

Congrats to RJ, Jools and KR on the PBs.

Impressive stuff from Speedy as well. What do you reckon you'd be capable of for 5K if everything slotted into place?

More bike miles for me today. Had arranged to visit my aunt in Whitstable so despite the drizzle I set off early on the bike, and Mrs L and Lorenzitos followed in the car (with bike rack to get me home).

Rather grim cycling conditions pretty much all the journey, but at 75 miles it's the further I've ever gone in one stint, so feeling pretty good about it.

Depending on my legs are feeling, I might even pop out for a run tomorrow morning.
18,861 to 18,880 of 37,119 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.