Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

18,881 to 18,900 of 35,802 messages
03/06/2012 at 19:30

Poacher Hope everything that should be good is good.

16.6 miles today, brings me to 48 for the week. It was tough from the start, very hot with little or no wind, totals of 4.5 going up, 4.5 going down and 7.6 flatish. I seriously considered stopping or walking a few times. I don't think I have even taken on more fluid during a training run. Everyone one else from the ship was on the beach, hope they are all sun burnt!! Legs are feeling it and I am planning an early night.

Edited: 03/06/2012 at 19:32
03/06/2012 at 19:36
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Comrades completed in 8:48:xx. Very happy to get my sub-9 target beaten and get my Bill Rowan medal which I despirately wanted. A controlled first half to halfway in around 4:18 then a toughed out second half after brutal uphills and downs. Amazing build up and atmosphere and great support with my Union Jack vest.
56.14 miles, average pace 9:24,1129m ascent, 1770m descent.
Legs in some difficulty. Kruger tomorrow so fill report would take some time
03/06/2012 at 19:37
Amazing Poacher and thanks for all the ultra tips you shared
03/06/2012 at 19:41
Poacher sorry to hear of the DNF.

Bikeit- fantastic. Congratulations- looks like a very well paced race and very pleased you got the Bill Rowan. My clubmate got his second silver with a 6:48 which is just staggering! 7:16 per mile ffs.

Scoobs nice miles.
03/06/2012 at 19:45
Well done Bike it, a fantastic achievement. Look forward to the epic report.

Sorry to hear of your DNF Poacher but still looking forward to the report.
03/06/2012 at 20:03

Glad I check in before heading out for beer - will have a couple in your honour, BikeIt - brilliant stuff  . . .
I'll have one for Poacher while I'm at it - may be a DNF, but some barriers broken along the way, it seems  . . .

03/06/2012 at 20:09

Congratulations, BikeIt - looking forward to the report tomorrow!

12M for me this afternoon to bring up 50M for the week (and clear the head after rather too much Pimms, rum, champagne, wine and port last night!).

03/06/2012 at 20:46

Bike It - A fantastic result - really well done! Amazing stuff.

03/06/2012 at 21:14
Well done BikeIt! Awesome stuff and really very pleased for you
03/06/2012 at 21:32

Hope all OK with you Poacher

Good God almighty that's phenomenal Bike It. Utterly mind boggling length of time to be out there running. Take a MASSIVE bow Sir

03/06/2012 at 21:36

Fab stuff Bike It - many congrats. Looking forward to the report, but enjoy Kruger first!

Jools - I'm shocked!

Edited: 03/06/2012 at 21:37
03/06/2012 at 21:45

In fairness, I was at a wedding reception, so drinking was spread out over 10 hours...

04/06/2012 at 06:49

BikeIt Absolutely amazing. Huge congratulations. Enjoy yourself today, you deserve it.  

04/06/2012 at 06:59
Bit of a read back:
Joolska - nice hilly run but even nicer drinkathon
Good work from CC, KR, Scooby
Jase - how much more than 3 kg do you have to put on before reverting to your previous title of Big Jase?
Chris S - welcome back
Moof - towpaths are not generally great for intervals - getting to a track could transform your short stuff and give precision, trust me, I know a lot about towpaths.
Nice cycling Lorenzo, you need a red white & blue Chris Hoy-style all in one cycling suit.

But most all - congrats to Bike It on a fab performance, and for toughing it out to get the desired medal. It must be very stressful running against a clock within a clock like that, and the ascent/descent would play havoc with the quads. You have bossed one of the world's great races. Back next year to complete in the other direction? Really well done, you deserve to be proud of yourself.
04/06/2012 at 07:39

OO - how's the Jubilee challenge going?  Nordic walking seems to be the latest craze.  One of my club mates is going on a course and is going to teach us all how to do it!

CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

Minni - I wasn't enjoying it and wasn't seeing any results so ditched it. Training plan for Munich has been written (weeks ago) and starts with a rest day on June 25th. Meanwhile I'm busy having a life so not running much and getting fat. 

Would you expect to see immediate results?  I have to work really hard at speed work for weeks and weeks before I see any improvement.  That's partly why I'm not going to target an Autumn marathon and just concentrate on shorter stuff for the rest of the year. Can't say I'm looking forward to it....   I see KR has a similar plan.

CS -  join me in the speed pain club and that newly found fat will drip off.

Great parkruns from you Speedy, along with Jools, KR and another cracker from RJ.

Bike it - wow well done.  Very impressive and looking forward to the report.

Poacher - sorry to hear that.  Hope all is well.

04/06/2012 at 08:38
This is going to be a long one, apologies in advance...

So, the GUCR....
Simple rules, start in central Birmingham and end in west London, via the Grand Union Canal. 145.4m, the time limit is generous but anyone falling behind the clock or stopping for more than 40min at a time is DSQ. The are some amazing athletes at the front but for the rest of the pack it's essentially 5 1/2 very slow marathons back-to-back. Conditions weren't great with early rain which meant being quite wet from the off. There was an irritating and tiring headwind which seemed to last for hours on end. But I made decent progress and was ahead of PB pace and in control. Reached 53m in 9.25, changes of shoes etc at 70m, and still doing OK at 85m in 16.38.

There's a split between runners in this race - half have their own crew, half run unsupported and rely on the heroic volunteers at checkpoints for support and especially food. Checkpoints are about 15-22m apart which is a long time at that pace so they are vital. For some reason there seemed to be a lack of hot ballast-type food at crucial times, but that's no excuse for what happened.

It all went wrong somewhere over 90m; must have been 0200, I was in open countryside in pitch dark with no shelter when the rain got much worse. Trying to do 145 m unsupported means a temptation to gamble/compromise on weight and I didn't really have enough heavy duty clothing; that plus general fatigue & windchill meant that core body temperature suddenly plummeted, and there's really no way back from that. It was a couple of hours to the next (100m) checkpoint somewhere near Tring so it was a case of plodding along with an increasing likelihood of calling it a day. I got to 100m in 20hrs50 for a PB, still in 13th place but the writing was on the wall with shivers and shakes. No amount of hot food was going to make a difference so I decided to quit while ahead and limit the damage. The next checkpoint was a mammoth 22m away and although I have do doubt I could have made it and finished there was also a risk of subsiding into a hypothermic heap and worst of all having to be found and rescued which isn't fair on anyone else.

So, very unhappy about not finishing but happy that it was the right decision. It's been said that this race is actually harder the second time around, and oddly this true. Having finished it before I simply didn't have the same need to prove what I can do and other factors took priority.....quicker recovery, a nice summer of gentle bimbling, time to prepare for a few autumn maras. Bonus brownie points from MrsP too.

What I learned:
1 DNF really sucks
2 too many problems and compromises during training may have contributed - first the stupid norovirus which was a setback. I also got the race calendar wrong - normally recovering from two maras in a week would be fine but the fiery furnace of Boston then doing VLM with another virus/bug thing 6 days later was maybe a bit much.
3 the average person can't be their best at mara AND ultra distance - they're different challenges and if you compromise between them, its to the detriment of both.
4 that feels like a soft PB....I quite fancy a stand-alone 100 miler sometime (mustn't tell MrsP!)
Funniest sight of the race: a bloke piloting a narrow boat while dressed as a 6ft tall chicken......must remember never to go to a stag party.
Edited: 04/06/2012 at 08:47
04/06/2012 at 10:24

Poacher: blimey - those conditions sound horrible.  I'd say fair play for getting to 100M unsupported and a very sensible decision to pull out when you did.  I guess it's a pity there wasn't more hot food available at the checkpoints, but the conditions sound so vile...  Congrats on the 100M pb and pray that Mrs. P. doesn't read RW!

Minni: welcome to the Summer of Speed - same plan for me!  3 sessions per fortnight with an easy week at the midway point of the summer to allow the legs to recover.  It's been years since I've done that kind of training for any period of time, so fingers crossed it's the change I need!

04/06/2012 at 11:38

Poacher , that's a heroic attempt, and a hair-raising read ! Congrats on the 100mile PB - is that a consolation? 
"the average person can't be their best at mara AND ultra distance"  - the average person wouldn't even attempt two of the former, then the latter, and you certainly ain't average, Poacher !  Which begs the question -
"bloke ...... dressed as a 6ft tall chicken.."  -  not given you any ideas, has it? 

04/06/2012 at 11:49

Poacher - Yes, DNF is horrible, but under those conditions you definitely made the right decision. It's not as if you sacked it after just a few miles - you got further than I think the vast majority on here would ever get (hope I'm not being unfair to anyone). Take it easy now and enjoy your Summer bimbling.

What did you say about a bloke with a 6-foot cock?

04/06/2012 at 12:26

Don't get too down on yourself Poacher, another 22 miles in the dark on your own in unsuitable clothing and running alongside water could have been downright dangerous. You can't really let your heart rule your head at times like that so be pleased that you made the right decision. I'm still in awe of anybody running that kind of distance.

18,881 to 18,900 of 35,802 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.