Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

18,901 to 18,920 of 38,239 messages
08/06/2012 at 21:09
Good luck Jezza, this is your first tri isn't it? Look forward to hearing how you found it and any learning points. Exciting tickets by the way!

Good luck also to AR at the weekend, hope your niggles have un-knotted in time and you have a stormer! What's the weather forecast for your race?

Enjoy the lay-off Speedy, I think it will do you the world of good although I suspect you'll be climbing the walls by the end of the weekend

4 easy for me today. Starting tomorrow on "5 paces" training which, if it goes well for a few weeks, I will use for the build up to Abingdon. Essentially a 12 day cycle including an LSR, plus fairly hard efforts at MP, HMP, and with interval sessions at 10k, 5k & 3k pace then filled in with short recovery runs to give ave weekly mileage in the mid 40s. Hoping the lower volume and varied paces will help my injury prone-ness and also sharpen up the top-end. Looking forward to it

Good luck to any other racers / park-runners over the weekend - Enjoy !
08/06/2012 at 21:14
X post, AR I see you have checked the weather already...... Oh dear. Although my 10k, HM and Mara PBs were all set in conditions like that (I don't do hot). Just make sure you are shameless in using other runners as windbreaks - don't let youself get isolated and don't be guilted into sharing the work Oh, and don't be shit.
08/06/2012 at 21:21
Great start for my Euros Fantasy Football team - 2 players sent off in first game!
Edited: 08/06/2012 at 21:23
08/06/2012 at 21:49

Erm, sorry. I ran. Only 4 miles on the treadmill though. I needed to fill in some time before Body Pump. I'd left it to fate. I didn't even ring the gym until 2pm, but there were still places in tonight's class (most unusual) so I took that to mean I should run. Won't have time to climb any walls this weekend, I'm off to drown in mud working at Download. 

08/06/2012 at 22:36
And how was the wobbly leg?
08/06/2012 at 22:50

Fine I think. I was hyper aware of any little twinge and I'd tied my shoelaces too tight (as evidenced by the lines across my foot when I took my shoes off) so there were a few, but nothing major. But I only ran 4 miles and it took about that long for the pains to start on Wednesday. 

09/06/2012 at 07:19

hard lines on the footy Lorenzo, and more 'bad' news, no modelling of the uniform here - its all packed away.

But more positively, good news for Speedy - fingers crossed Weds was a one off.

Slokey, yes, first one - at start of year I could hardly swim 25m let alone 400m.  I'm still rubbish - one third of Rebecca Adlington's pace!!!  - but should hold my own on bike and hope fully make up some ground on run.

PMJ - some stats:
marafun - 6:45 mpm
half - 6:21
5k - 5:55 (10m and 10k pb's too old to compare)

09/06/2012 at 10:33

I discovered this morning that there is a tougher parkrun than Ashton Court - it's the Ashton Court parkrun 'B' course, used today to allow Bikefest to use the top (i.e. flat-ish) part of our course.  To make up for the fact we could only use half of our normal hill, a simple solution was found: half a hill, but twice.  Much harder to pace!  21.25 with splits of 7.08, 6.32, 6.55 and 51 (I did get the course slightly long - Garmin promises me I was sub 6m/m at the end!).

Edited: 09/06/2012 at 10:34
09/06/2012 at 15:11

We have a new Parkrun starting 2 miles from my house- it's in Whitley Bay- first race next week. I suspect that will become a regular event, with a jog there and back to give me a nice 7 miler.

Blaydon race this evening. 5.9 miles and conditions look good. Striaght to the pub after then collecting my daughter from Uni in Sheffield tomorrow- her first year has flown by.

09/06/2012 at 21:55
. Double post
Edited: 09/06/2012 at 22:00
09/06/2012 at 23:04

So 5000m today and after two crap 5ks I wasn't hopeful. Turned out OK, net result was 18:05 with a stiff wind that was slowing the sprinters by about 1.5 seconds down the finish straight so that probably means somewhere 17:5x and maybe 17:4x. Race itself was very odd, I normally hold my own and finish midway in the A string or win the B but today there was a bunch of 4 athletes sub 16, then another bunch of 3 sub 17 and then me and 2 others behind so I was last A and my team-mate was last B. Pacing was sort of fine, steady slowing down but nothing cliff like and as it turned out to be a mainly solo time trial you have to accept the urge to carry on does decline. At least I now have a low 18 and can look for a few sub 18s on the road in the coming weeks.

Edited: 09/06/2012 at 23:05
10/06/2012 at 00:29

Blaydon race this evening run in torrential rain which was quite entertaining actually. The course was also short (5.73 insted or 5.9) but a classic race all the same. I ran a 33:11 averaging 5:47 per mile, well up on last year and my fasters race pace for a long while .

How'd it go for you Minni?  

10/06/2012 at 10:31
OO - sounds like good fun, and a cracking time to boot. How was the singing before the race?

PMJ - that's not too shabby. What sort of lap times were you managing?

Bike miles for me this weekend. 38 with elder Lorenzito yesterday morning, then 50 this morning on my own.

Off on a Wales trip for the next few days with overnights in Brecon, Harlech and Betws-y-Coed so hope to get a couple of scenic runs in.
10/06/2012 at 12:57

12M for me.  Felt pretty sluggish beforehand but ended up with average of 7.53m/m, albeit it was a road rather than off-road route and only one really tough hill (about 1/2 mile).  Still, 50M for the week including one club session and a parkrun, so the quality work is still there.  The summer of speed continues!

10/06/2012 at 14:24

Great weekly mileage speedy. I need 12 miles today to get up to 45 for the week, but I have a thick head from last nights celebrations 

Had a quick look at my race log this morning and can only find one other race above 5 miles where I ran better than the 5:47 per mile pace for yesterday's Blaydon race. That was for my 10k pb (in 1995).

10/06/2012 at 14:27
Quicker than me Joolska. 12 miles for me this morning at 8m mile pace. Furthest I've run since VLM and it felt pretty tough!
10/06/2012 at 16:52

12 for me too. 7:40 pace.

10/06/2012 at 16:59

Well done OO. What was that rain like?!  Very bad run from me which wasn't unexpected.  I've spend the whole week either drunk or hungover!   41.21.  Quite a bit slower than my current 10k pace.  Very embarrassing.  Jools it was the wake up call I needed to get into the summer of pain.

And now I feel guilty that I've not run 12 miles today!  I am rather hungover though...

OO provisional results are starting to come through and I see you finished well up.  And the Twaddler was 24th.

10/06/2012 at 16:59

PMJ Low 18 with a head wind definately points towards sub 18

OO Nice pacey run indeed.

12.5 miles for me yesterday. Train journey today was cancelled, so yesterday afternoon spent drinking local brewed "dark" beer. Turns out it was 7%, which will explains a lot.

10/06/2012 at 17:00

nice racing PMJ and OOlg - particuraly impressed by the latter rolling back the years!

good biking miles Lorenzo and a good couple of dozens by Jools and moof

thought I posted while killing time before my tri this am but no sign of it, nothing of note really, just maoning about getting up the time some of you do regularly.  So, to the report - in short, really really enjoyed it. Out for about the same time as a half marathon but nowhere near as tough, and was done before 9am, leaving rest of day free.

As mentioned before, my swimming's not good but I'm pleased (a) to have got to stage I can complete the swim - one length was hard back in Jan, now I can manage 16 'comfortably' (b) that I can still improve  a lot.  So, format is you predict a swim time on your entry form and they start in order, slowest first, although "self seeding" on the day was also allowed.  In a field of 300 I was number 42, with an estimate of 12 mins, the same as quite a few before and after me.  You swim up and down the 25m pool, 16 lengths in all, 8 lanes, starting one side, ducking under the rope every two lengths, then exiting the other side of pool.  I got passed by 3 or 4 (a tap on the foot means you have to stop at end and let them pass) - a couple of these were women doing breaststroke!  I managed one tap myself.

Out to transition and get on the bike.  I'm better at this, and was soon picking off loads of the other riders, quite a few on hybrids, in contrast to the mega cool expensive looking tri-bikes later starters have.  Got a bit tough into headwind in last couple of miles, but overall felt good.  Only got passed by one and reckoned not many left in front of me, just a couple of guys who'd put down dodgy swim times (e.g. number 1 had estimated 46 mins, looking at the results he did 7!!).

Head out onto run and legs felt remarkably ok, not the running through sand feeling I'd been expecting.  With my suspect hammies though I knew not to push hard.  It was an out and back 5km and I saw the guy who'd come past on bike flying along on his way back, but only another couple, out of reach, so a bit of a lone effort, and as I say, didn't push hard at all.  Nice to be one of few few to finish, even if the actual result was rather different ......

18,901 to 18,920 of 38,239 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.