Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

18,981 to 19,000 of 37,757 messages
14/06/2012 at 18:46

dont know what happened there - just submitted itself! hey ho.

Told by the runners it wasnt a particularly fast 5k but I didnt notice the inclines at all. To be much faster it would have to be lake  flat or downhill !

Splits are: 3.25, 3.49, 3.43, 3.46, 3.49, 3.53 (Last k measured a little over). I had read one strategy was to run the first k 6% faster than target pace and hold on - so opted for that one but still managed to go too fast for the first K. It was very uncomfortable from the 3rd K on but at least you knew there was only 2 k to go at that point. Think that gives me a 6.01mm pace. Sets up an obvious -10s target for my next 5k to sneak into the 5:xxmm.

Edited: 14/06/2012 at 18:48
14/06/2012 at 20:33
OO lets go. wrote (see)

Congrats on thwe PB Knight Rider- what's the secret to your good form?

Getting shouted at by me  I hope this link works
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223960_10150851267131975_101554362_n.jpg

That's KR in the white vest with me bent over barking at him holding my knees 

OO lets go. wrote (see)

Sounds nasty MM- you wouldn't believe a foot could cause so much grief!

Tell me about it!!!! My physio's pension fund has never looked so healthy....

14/06/2012 at 21:19

Fab PB KR, but it looks like you got chicked. You best fix that next time 

Nice 5k from Mennania too. 

MM - nice to see you back on here, even if you're not running. Shouting encouragement from the sidelines is equally worthy of comment though. 

Ant - woohoo! Surely a small beer is order at least?

14/06/2012 at 21:21

Nice one, Mennania.  

5M easy for me tonight to test out my knee, which has been slightly sore since my session on Tuesday.  Looks like I'm good to race tomorrow, but perhaps a controlled 10k rather than a flat out effort.  Although given the way it's tipping it down outside, the towpath will be muddy enough that flat out is impossible!

14/06/2012 at 21:49
Back home tomorrow after a weeks walking holiday in Wales. Back to training at the weekend - just some easy runs, but tempted to check out my nearest parkrun on Saturday and break my duck.

Some great 5 mile and 5k times posted. Congrats on the PB KR, looks like you had some great support during the race!

Looking forward, anyone run a Marathon in November, and specifically run Luton? Seems to have had a chequered history over recent years with cancellations (altough it was held in December in prior years). Possibly considering it.
14/06/2012 at 21:56

AR - I ran the Newcastle Town Moor Marathon in it's first year, it was in November then. Sensibly they've since moved it forward to October. Staying healthy was a nightmare. The whole office were coughing and spluttering everywhere by the end of October. Plus training over Bonfire weekend was horrible - the air was thick with fumes for about 4 days. I wouldn't do one so late again personally.

Jools - more flat on your back than flat out?

14/06/2012 at 23:26

Hi Rob - good to see you back on here. Jealous of your weekly track sessions with Steve, I'm not surpirsed it's your favourite weekly session! Good to hear your mojo is back again. I think the good thing about the shorter distance is you can always bounce back a week later if you have a bad race. What arre your plans for the rest of the year - are you doing London again next Spring? Like other have sid stick around!

Awesome 5k time there Mennania. 5k's are definately sh!t or bust races. Ellesmere 10k looks interesting, if I'm at my brothers I may well do that. What Club have you joined?

Good shouting MM, spurred me on at the end - must have been the dog stuck up yer bum that made you bark - have you double checked that photo!? looks like I was sandwiched between two of your clubmates. Hope your road to recovery is full of running!

Good luck for your 10k race Jools - looks wet all over again tomorrow

Don't mind being chicked Speedy, I just about went past MM's clubmate, but couldn't catch the other lady infront (2nd lady I think)

15/06/2012 at 06:37

Speedy - well done on 8th place and good news on the lack of leg pains - hope the same applies to the stomach cramps.
MM - good to hear from you. It's tough being on the bench that long; well done on being patient and hope it pays off soon.
KR - great racing and congrats on the PB. Well deserved.
MsE - nice long run. I've not been brave enough to take the dog out with me running.
PMJ - we have a guy who is sometimes assisted by a husky dog at the KL parkrun.
Ant - good news. Steady as she goes.
Rob - don't worry. I only contribute pretty inane stuff. Good to hear you're getting back into the swing of things, so please stick around.
Mennania - fantastic first 5k. Well done.
Joolska - sounds sensible.
Out and back run this morning to feed the in-law's fish. Seems to be about 5 miles, i.e 2 x 2.5 miles. Only had a 3 mile recovery run scheduled, so may cut back tomorrow's run by a mile or two.

P.S. Does PMJ or anyone have a link to the alternative olympic torch relay website, please? I can't find PMJ's post about it.

Edited: 15/06/2012 at 06:48
15/06/2012 at 06:50

Hmm, soreness abounds...this may have been a false dawn.

15/06/2012 at 08:00

Ant

15/06/2012 at 09:35

Thanks all. You guys are on the next level to me, but I'd rather aim high than plateau.

KR - my main plan over the coming months is to comfortably run at 6:30 for longer periods of time. I'd like to improve my weekly tempo from 6:45 to 6:30. I'm chipping away at that at the moment with a combination of Steve's track session, a regular 5k race, a tempo run, and a couple of slower aerobic runs. Once I'm comfortably doing this pace, then I'll have a crack at a sub 40 10k and beating my current 1:30 HM PB. I've applied to the London Marathon ballot, so we'll see what happens there.

15/06/2012 at 10:07

Hi all - still waiting and working for knee recovery here.  First run for a month on Monday - 3.5 ml, today 4 ml.  As the month followed about 3 months of not much running, (notwithstanding 14 in the Boston furnace) my fitness level is somewhat low!  Can still feel knee, but will persevere. Still lurking so noting some fine recent displays, but top mention to AlsoRan for a great effort. 
Rob - 1:30 half PB suggests you definitely belong on here  . . .

Cheers all . . .

15/06/2012 at 11:52

Is it time for us to give up, Birch?  Buy a bicycle and pretend to enjoy triathlons? 

A misbehaving achilles has kept me fat since early February, with 5 miles counting as a long run.  I might still jog around the Freckleton half on Sunday, as the thought of bailing out of this race for the third year running is giving me the heebiejeebies.  But the Coastal 14 next month seems unlikely and my Abingdon number will doubtless be worn by someone much slimmer than me.

Good luck to all you frail and injured unrunners.  It's a right old laugh, eh?

15/06/2012 at 11:54

Good run Mennania. 5k's are difficult to get right. Some say flat out from the start and hang on, some say consistent pacing, some say hard then banzai the last km. I think it's a matter of practice and see what works for you. I've run my PB time twice, once with consistent pacing and once by absolutely flying the last km, so I'm really not sure what's best and I've run 39 of the blighters. All I would say is that if you get to 2km wondering how the hell you're going to keep going then you've got it about right

8 rather soggy & windswept miles with the club last night in a smidge over an hour. I'm pleasantly surprised at the pace as we chatted all the way round and it was very comfortable. I'm finding the first couple of miles of any run really hard work at the moment as I just feel really rough at the start, particularly in my stomach area. Maybe it's the fact I've run so little in the last few weeks, or the fact that I appear to have added a few pounds round my middle that's causing it, but it's rather offputting none the less. My knee is sore again this morning.

15/06/2012 at 16:37

Also-ran: I did Luton last year as a training run for an ultra.  I quite liked it, although the course isn't that scenic in places (Luton high rise housing estate chic) and it does have a fairly steep climb at the start of laps 2 and 3 which won't be to everyone's tastes.  It's fairly well organised and pretty good value.

15/06/2012 at 19:04
AR - not done Luton but why not check out the Enigma Running series of maras which are based not too far away in Milton K. Plenty of dates and may well be quite quick.
KR, Mennania - good work
Ant, MM - look after yourselves, patience is the hardest thing about injury
Birch - good to see you on the comeback trail
TAR - surely you can't miss the most beautiful race in the country i.e. the Coastal Run. I'm planning to bimble around in the middle of the pack, why not come along for the ride, I know all the best pubs along the way.
Rob - some of the folk here are a level above, but but no means all, you are a prime contender for a sub 3.15 attempt so keep posting.

8.6m tonight, longest run for a couple of weeks, getting there slowly.
15/06/2012 at 19:21
Gul Darr wrote (see)

P.S. Does PMJ or anyone have a link to the alternative olympic torch relay website, please? I can't find PMJ's post about it.

http://www.endurancelife.com/realrelay/

Minni is doing a leg soon

15/06/2012 at 19:37

I am,  I am!   Next Saturday pm.  I'm bringing it over the Border and finishing at Lindisfarne.  It must be one of the best stages!   And its my birthday. 

Rob - some of us are still trying to get sub 3:15 actually maybe only me.

15/06/2012 at 19:56

Nice one Minni. My pal from NSP carried the torch in Whitley Bay today. I'll be passing the same spot tomorrow in the first Whitley Bay Parkrun- and my first ever.

MsE
15/06/2012 at 19:57
Me too, Minni. My last mara was 3:15:33 or something annoying like that. Yes, stick around Rob!
18,981 to 19,000 of 37,757 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.