Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

19,021 to 19,040 of 38,232 messages
17/06/2012 at 14:41
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
Matchstick Man wrote (see)

Accidental 19 today: met up with a friend for 16 so I did a couple to his house with the understanding it was to be a loop so I would drop off a couple before the end, turns out his route planning wasn't so good and while he could cut it short I had no option as the straight lien was still long.

Whoops...i think I completely overlooked you needing a 2m to get down to me, and not realising that there's a half mile extra on the route than i bargained for.

Lucky you're a marathon fit type really

Next time maybe we can plot it so we meet at the bottom of the hill, when both 1mile in, mess about for 14miles out and back, and then separate at the hill for 1mile back respectively...although that does give you a steep hill to end on, which isn't ideal

Edited: 17/06/2012 at 14:42
17/06/2012 at 14:46

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/282987_10150879302842097_1749335001_n.jpg

Report to follow when I've had some food...

17/06/2012 at 15:06
Stevie G . wrote (see)
Next time maybe we can plot it so we meet at the bottom of the hill, when both 1mile in, mess about for 14miles out and back, and then separate at the hill for 1mile back respectively...although that does give you a steep hill to end on, which isn't ideal

Actually you got the hills right: I leave home, jog down my road, plummet down Marlow Hill and then a gentle meander following the Wye and Thames, then up Champan Lane like the face of the Eiger and a steady pull back the the Straight Bit.

Bottom of Marlow Hill is not the place I like to be with a mile to go.

http://www.jonesm.plus.com/height.png

Edited: 17/06/2012 at 15:06
17/06/2012 at 16:36

Toyed with the idea of a local 10K this morning, but with the weather so nice it seemed a shame not to get the bike out. 40 miles through the some of the most attractive Surrey countryside (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty etc etc) with some sneaky hills thrown in.

Speedy - I'm intrigued. Please hurry up and finish eating! 

17/06/2012 at 16:40

<span style="color: #000000; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: left;">OK, so today was the Rampton 10k and Nottinghamshire County Championships. I only entered in the hopes of winning a shiny medal. God knows why, I have millions of them and can't tell them apart any more. Yesterday's health MOT revealed I'm the heaviest I've been in recent memory (since losing the weight in the first place and going downwards), so that's really not good. On checking the County Champs list though I knew I was likely to medal, especially since the fast girl I'd spotted warming up was a late entry so not eligible, and the only (known) faster girl than me on the list didn't appear to have turned up. <br style="font-family: tahoma, verdana, arial; color: #000000; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: left;" /><br style="font-family: tahoma, verdana, arial; color: #000000; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: left;" /><span style="color: #000000; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: left;">Sure enough we set off and within 20m I was in second place behind Nikita from Sutton. A hairpin turn round a cone in the first mile showed I already had a small gap over 3rd and 4th ladies. Good. Keep steady, don't get a stitch, don't lose more than one place - I'd spotted the trophies before the race and decided I just *had* to have one. <br style="font-family: tahoma, verdana, arial; color: #000000; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: left;" /><br style="font-family: tahoma, verdana, arial; color: #000000; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: left;" /><span style="color: #000000; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: left;">Being a fairly small race we stretched out quite quickly and I was running alone for a long time. A fella came past me somewhere, but I passed him again on the hill. When I say hill, I only mean a fairly gentle incline, but it lasted without respite from 3k to 7.5k and most of that was into the wind as well. I was focusing on the Worksop fella further down the road and trying to reel him in. Eventually I got there and was able to tuck in behind a Retford chap to catch my breath. I'd intended to push on once I'd recovered from the effort of catching him, but actually he was pushing the pace well and providing a reasonable windbreak. So I stayed there as he pulled up to Green T-Shirt Boy and Nikita. At 7.5k we turned a corner out of the wind and crested the hill. Thank f***. The downhill was lovely and I found myself on Nikita's shoulder. She'd clearly been coasting it though, since as soon as she spotted me there she put her foot down. I soon realised that 6 min miling wasn't going to be a good idea at that stage in the race at my current level of fitness and put the brakes on a bit and let her get away. To be fair, she's worth far more than her time today, she's been ill for weeks. The last 'sting in the tail' hill left me feeling rather sick and dizzy so I risked a look over my shoulder. No women in sight. Again, thank f***. <br style="font-family: tahoma, verdana, arial; color: #000000; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: left;" /><br style="font-family: tahoma, verdana, arial; color: #000000; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: left;" /><span style="color: #000000; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: left;">I crossed the line just one place behind Nikita, but probably 10 seconds or so later. Watch time 41.22. HM pace again. Not great but I supposed I managed it for longer than on Wednesday! So I got 2nd lady and County Gold. <br style="font-family: tahoma, verdana, arial; color: #000000; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; tex

MsE
17/06/2012 at 17:22

Congrats on the shiny trophy, Speedy!

And wishing all you dads out there a Happy Father's Day.  I am patiently waiting for a small window today when I might escape. It might be dark by then. MrEtte is currently out running with the dog.  My activity... 

17/06/2012 at 17:32

Wel done, Speedy - I've lost count now, is it CC3, CC4 or what ? 

Good to run tactically sometimes, rather than for time goals

17/06/2012 at 17:45

Agh, I forgot that the copy and paste thing doesn't work properly any more. Can I edit....

17/06/2012 at 17:45

Nope!

17/06/2012 at 18:03
Nice work super medal accumulator Speedy

My legs appear to be just starting to behave again. Clearly my powers of recovery are still weak. Even bigger mystery to me how anyone can do PBs after racing a marathon....
17/06/2012 at 18:04

Well done Speedy - it sounds like it was a good day at the office,and some shiney trophyware 

17/06/2012 at 18:42
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Actually you got the hills right: I leave home, jog down my road, plummet down Marlow Hill and then a gentle meander following the Wye and Thames, then up Champan Lane like the face of the Eiger and a steady pull back the the Straight Bit.

Bottom of Marlow Hill is not the place I like to be with a mile to go.

http://www.jonesm.plus.com/height.png

Nice graph! 

I think as i found a few weeks back, it's shoe horning the pleasurable little Thames Path bit in that hypes the mileage up a little...But we'll sort it out on the dot next time... and find a way to not finish on a steep hill

17/06/2012 at 19:07

Hard reading Speedy but impressive result, especially 2 in a week

17/06/2012 at 20:00

Nice days work Speedy!

17/06/2012 at 20:18

Well done, Speedy.

It was clearly a day for longer than intended long runs; having wanted to run 13.5M to bring up 50M for the week I realised at 7.5M that the loop I had planned wouldn't work due to the pavement running out and so I had to turn back and recover the ground I'd already done.  Heigh-ho.

17/06/2012 at 20:33
Congratulations speedy and a great report. (Apart from the turrets!)

13 miles for me this morning and I was encouraged to 'take as long as I want'. Yep, they had forgotten fathers day, but so had I. So I came back to a home made card, a best dad in the world mug (I seem to be collecting those) and a bar of chocolate.
I don't mind but if the shoe had been on the other foot and it was mothers day............!

Anyway I ran the 13 p&d style MP + 20% out and 10% back. Felt very tough. Amazing how quick I've lost my top end endurance.
17/06/2012 at 20:35
Well done Speedy!
17/06/2012 at 21:13
Great going Speedy - you'll need a new trophy cabinet at home before long!

Very pleasant Father's Day meal this evening. Elder Lorenzito had made a slow cooked lamb shank with chorizo and red wine sauce, and younger Lorenzito weighed in with a ginger and syrup cake for pudding. Yum, yum!
17/06/2012 at 22:32

Well done Speedy! And really good report!

Minni, what tactic do you have for the return leg? I'm looking at a 10 mile leg down near me which is fine but if I leave the car at the start I need to run 10 miles back. Toying with the idea of parking at the end and cycling to the start and recover the bike afterwards.

PMJ - I've been very lucky in having a few runners from my club wanting to do all or some of it with me so we'll leave a car and the finish and the start.    I'm quite glad I've been able to rope others in because I have to run about 4 miles through quite a big town.  Might have been a bit embarrassing on my own!!   I'm really looking forward to it and sorted some of my route today.    The tide will be in so won't be able to get onto Lindisfarne therefore the change over will have to be at the end of the causeway.

Slokey - don't forget to keep checking tomorrow for your stages and sign up as soon as they are available if there's one in particular you want to do. Endurance Life Real Relay

17/06/2012 at 22:54

Some top racing going on here,

AR Belated well done on a great race.

KR belated congratulations on a new pb.

Speedy another trophy and good report, nice work.

Jools i see the speed is coming back to you again remind us what racers you have planned.

Well done to the park runners, reminds me i will have to have another go at them soon.

Mennania good to see you have joined a club, is it Wrexham ac? your already starting to reap the benefits judging by your posts. look forward to competing against you in the Borders league racers

Moof agree with you there, similar session for me but slightly longer 17m with 8m @mp, looking forward to shifting some excess lard that appeared from out of nowhere.

Oh and i have a 10k on Sunday, first 10k race in  over 2 years...i can feel the pain already

19,021 to 19,040 of 38,232 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.