Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

19,061 to 19,080 of 37,103 messages
15/06/2012 at 20:23

Tonight was a good night for treadmill running. No competition for the best ones near the window (something to do with it being a) Friday and b) a football day) so I had a great view of the lightning and people trying to hide from the thunderstorm. 

15/06/2012 at 22:29
Everyone enjoying the football? It's great being an England fan. I think I'll start wearing my heart rate monitor to see what It's doing to me.

7 miles for me tonight with 4 at tempo. Slowest mile 6.23 into a head wind, fastest 6.05 with a nice tailwind.
15/06/2012 at 22:46

Nice one Minni - glad you got a leg and over the border too! How long do you reckon the 14 miles will take? Did you have to give a predicted time? Hoping to do a leg around Leicester.

Enjoyed watching the game with my 7 year old lad tonight - he was well excited. Off to IKEA tomorrow, so it's pay back for the Swedes!

16/06/2012 at 07:59

I watched the game with my 19 year old daughter home from Uni. Taught her the joys of supporting England.

Yes, stick around Rob Cope and welcome to the thread. Lots of great advice. You seem to be going pretty fast in training so get yourself some regular racing and I'm sure you'll reach your goal.

I hope that was just a shock to your first strong effort Ant, sounds like a tough examination.

MM can you come at shout at me in my first parkrun today! I'll need it, pouring with rain here

16/06/2012 at 08:35

OO - I saw Whitely Bay was getting a parkrun.  It'll be wet this morning.

KR - I didn't have to predict a time but it has to be faster than 10 minute miles.  Unfortunately I'm not going to have time to recce my route to know exactly how long it will take but my plan is to do 4ish on the road from my change over to the town (Berwick-upon-Tweed), then the stretch through the town to the coast will be about 4 miles (not really looking forward to this part!!) and I will then pick up the coastal path so the rest will be off road.   The baton looks quite big!

16/06/2012 at 10:51

Good turnout for the first Whitley Bay parkrun Minni about 250 runners I'd guess. Couple of young lads 1st and 2nd (in their 20's) but I managed 3rd pulling back from about 6th after the first mile. 18:02 for the 3.13 course gives me 5:46 avg. mile pace. Quite pleased with that- and my photo with the Councill leader. 

16/06/2012 at 10:59
My first Parkrun today. Went to Black Park to do a few easy mile after last weeks Marathon, and then did the Parkrun. Amazed to see so many there.
Ran in 19:20 (6:13 m/m) - some specific training needed me thinks, and some sharper elbows after being battered at the start!

Rob C - they haven't bitten me yet. In fact its all been take, take, take on my part - I've not had much to give yet. So keep on the thread and let us now how you're getting on
16/06/2012 at 13:48

Nice results OO and AR.

BOTF - I knew I was too fast out of the blocks but am looking forward to the next 5k already.

Not talking about the football being Welsh - I follow rugby - but I dont want to talk about that either. Off to the pub to watch Eng beat South Africa later on though - we need to put one over at least one of the antipodes. Swing Looooow......

16/06/2012 at 16:06

Nice runs, OO and AR.

Towpath 10k last night was the predicted mudbath, with the added joy of a headwind on the way back.  I know I was running well relative to others, because I was reeling people in all the way back, but I was still 20secs/mile slower than on the way out!  41.3x or thereabouts was the score on the doors.  So-so given my recent 5k pb and the times I've been hitting in reps sessions, but it's still some fast-ish miles in the bank.  Parkrun marshalling this morning.

16/06/2012 at 16:45

It's all relative Joolska. Reeling people in is always a good feeling.

Mennania, I tend to go off steady as my old legs take a while to get going. Today I stuck in behind a leading group which pulled me along at 5:30ish for the first mile. Then in the last mile I was struggling, and seeing a big gap behind me I couldn't resist the urge to ease back, more like 5:55 for that one. So I think you have to run with what feels natural, with a bit of adjustment for the race conditions and tactics.

16/06/2012 at 19:15

Ant - take care and recover well.
PMJ - thanks. I'll keep checking for when the local legs are added.
Moof - I am a nervous wreck after the England game. Nice tempo run.
Excellent parkrun debuts from OOlg and AR.
Jools - still a decent time in those conditions. Hope you enjoyed the overtaking.
8-ish miles for me this morning in an impromptu loop which had to include a 24hr supermarket. My schedule has had a bit of tweaking this week for various reasons and will continue to do so with the in-laws away for another 2 weeks yet. About 35 miles in total, making it the highest in almost a year

16/06/2012 at 19:29

Excellent, Gul - your patient approach is admirable, and you're reaping the rewards now.  

16/06/2012 at 19:52
Nice parkrunning chaps, very speedy indeed. Well done on a solid 10K there too Jools

Sorry to hear of the injury woes - some of which have been around for a while. It is a really frustrating time but it does pass and is soon forgotten so hang in there

Hi Rob!

Well done Minni on getting your name down on the relay, I'm also waiting for the local stages to come online

Interesting week for me on the new 12 day schedule (have ditched the recovery run days for the time being as I get used to the intensity)
Last Saturday, 6m with 2x1m reps at 10k pace (6:10) will build this to 6 reps
Monday, 3m with 3x0.5m reps at 3k pace (5:30) ouch - will build this to 5 reps
Wednesday, 4m with 3x1200m at 5k pace (5:50), will build this to 4reps
Friday, LSR 16m in 7:45mm pace plus 1500m swim in 30min
Today, picked up my new superfast bike and Lycra pants, scary in lots of ways since I haven't ridden a bike for 20 years and this seems to go 100mph (actually I got it up to 2 flat miles at 20mph but it felt like I was pushing the laws of physics)
Tomorrow 10 miles planned with 6@ HMP (6:30)

Doing the great north swim next week, 1 mile open water in Windermere - scary!

Good luck to anyone racing tomorrow
16/06/2012 at 20:37

SJ - 1 mile open water in Windermere - scary!  - bit of an understatement  . . . .

16/06/2012 at 20:40
Parkrun today, 31-11. Read it and weep suckers
16/06/2012 at 20:47

Slokey - are you in Cumbria?  They are releasing new stages on Monday morning down to Birmingham, including Cumbria.

What's the course like OO?  Flat?  Nice time and nice position.  I read they had over 200 at Newcastle too so that's a lot of people running at 9am! 

Also nice racing from AR and Jools.   and MM

Edited: 16/06/2012 at 20:47
16/06/2012 at 23:08
Yes Minni, thanks for the heads up!
16/06/2012 at 23:15

Not a great course Minni, at least for a pb. It twists and turns around the links where the pudding run is on Boxing day. But no complaints, it's on my doorstep and I love the philosophy of parkrun so I'll be back on a regular basis. 204 official finishers.

17/06/2012 at 12:28
Matchstick Man wrote (see)
Parkrun today, 31-11. Read it and weep suckers

Had a look at the results to see if that was a pacing run but nobody with the same name or club anywhere near you, so has to be hangover or injury.

Accidental 19 today: met up with a friend for 16 so I did a couple to his house with the understanding it was to be a loop so I would drop off a couple before the end, turns out his route planning wasn't so good and while he could cut it short I had no option as the straight lien was still long.

Felt OK though, 19 and bits in 2:24 at 7:30 pace and all even miles except the last bit cooling down. I'll try and keep a few more like that over the summer so I can do a poacher and do the odd midweek 26.2 run.

17/06/2012 at 12:31

Minni, what tactic do you have for the return leg? I'm looking at a 10 mile leg down near me which is fine but if I leave the car at the start I need to run 10 miles back. Toying with the idea of parking at the end and cycling to the start and recover the bike afterwards.

19,061 to 19,080 of 37,103 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.