Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

19,121 to 19,140 of 37,117 messages
18/06/2012 at 12:34
Gul Darr wrote (see

I am a nervous wreck after the England game.

Yes, me too, especially after John Terry almost scored.  That would have been a bloody disaster.  Now then, where can I buy a Ukrainian flag for my car...?

Splendid work, Bike It.  Goth too (nice purple).

That was an impressively pedestrian parkrun from MM.  Does a 1.55 half marathon yesterday trump that, I wonder?

If I recover from this, Poacher, then I'll aim to be at the Coastal.  Though I doubt I'll be fit enough for mid pack.

18/06/2012 at 12:39

I've secured a place for the Coastal run Minni- my favourite race!

18/06/2012 at 12:42

Hope you can make it too AR....it's a cracker

18/06/2012 at 12:43
Well done OO. I'm really disappointed I'm not going to make it but I've entered a half the week after (with Fraser Wells).
18/06/2012 at 16:06

Just a few photos from me.  By coincidence I stayed at the same hotel as the Mr Price running team and chatted to a few of them.  On Monday morning I sat next to a disappointed runner at breakfast - he was really disappointed because he 'always finishes in the top 5' and he 'could only get to 11th place this year'.  Turns out he was 2005 winner Fusi Nhlapo.

The 2 winners were walking around like they were completely fresh and ready to do it again.  Probably that's why they won. I did see 3rd place woman Marina Zhalybina struggling with the steps as much as me though

At Cowies with around 19km to go.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/515879/gallery/img_20120603_122731_0.jpg?width=350

Running Royalty – Part 1

Female winner Elana Nurgalieva (winning time of 6:07:12 and now 7 Comrades victories) with my son JJ and me

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/515879/gallery/img_20120604_111650_0.jpg?width=350

Running Royalty – Part 2

Male winner Ludwick Mamabolo (winning time of 5:31:03 and 1 Comrades victory) with my daughter Myla and me

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/515879/gallery/img_20120604_105926_0.jpg?width=350

Edited: 18/06/2012 at 16:08
18/06/2012 at 16:38

Moof, yes I do hope to run this race again one day.  Probably not for a few years though.  And probably in the other direction.  So that means probably 2015 at the earliest.  I'd be quite sad if I though I'd never be able to run it again.  

Lozenro - I have been looking forward to this race so long and building up the expectation for so long that I can remember a lot of detail.  For the course, I studied like a schoolboy and learnt the details of the course like the postions of the major hills, their elevations and elevation changes.  This was actually a massive help as I could pace it properly, decide where to rest and I knew what was coming and when it was coming.

I did have a proper Durban curry on the Friday evening with 2 naan bread for carbs. It was excellent with beautiful spicing.  I caused a bit of amusement for the locals as I went in shorts and T-shirt whilst they were in full winter clohing.  Didn't try the Bunny Chow however - must save that for next time.

Recovery is going well.  I ran 10km on the dirt road at my wife's family farm last Tuesday but otherwise have not run.  It was OK.  Mostly I've concentrated on getting good nutrition, i.e. stuffing myself silly for the last 2 weeks as I ventured through the Kruger and back on the farm in SA.  I'll start a little bit this week (maybe).

I put the report at http://sdrv.ms/NG5Ymn as well - no formatting problems in that.

Edited: 18/06/2012 at 16:39
18/06/2012 at 16:59

Bike It  - Your curry details just brought back a very recent memory. Just ran my first marathon last week, and we were on holiday at the time in Wales. The night before we headed off to the nearest village where I knew there was an Italian Restaurant (Newbie Marathon runner - must eat pasta).

Got to the village to find that the restaurant had closed down and the only place open was the Indian. Thoughts of multiple toilet stops suddenly filled my mind. However, some really mild chicken, two huge naans and loads of rice made a fantasic pre-race meal. Had to return there after the race for a proper curry.

I am listening through archive editions of Marathon Talk and coincidentally had got to the guys running Comrades. It sounds like an awesome event - I can still hear the cock crowing at the start of the race. Fantastic achievement, well done.

18/06/2012 at 17:47

Did I just spot the name of someone from here doing a stage of the Real Relay that's not Slokey Joe?   I wonder if I can write a secret code on the baton for you all?!   Slokey did you get signed up?

18/06/2012 at 19:20

Bike It - what a fantastic report! Well done. What an experience!

TAR - it's red. 

Sadly the local legs of the Real Relay have already been snapped up it seems. 

No running today for me. That unidentified leg injury is niggling at me today. I know I can run through it if need be, but the week before I start marathon training doesn't seem to be a time to 'need' to run through it. 

18/06/2012 at 19:43

Also-ran, was it you on the marathon talk podium in the latest edition?

Great report Bike It!

18/06/2012 at 19:45

Speedy - leg .  Do yo think it might be a trapped nerve?  I often get one in my left leg and its sometimes really painful but I know it makes no difference whether I run or not so keep going.  Actually, running often helps it.

about the relay.  I logged on as soon as I got the email but already some of the legs around me had gone.

18/06/2012 at 20:10
I'm in Minni thanks very much for the tip off!

Doing the slackhead to hest bank leg at 11:20pm next Friday - awesome! Think I'll probably run back too and make it a 20 also nice that I'll be picking up the baton from an old workmates of mine who did MdS earlier this year do can find out how much he enjoyed picking sand out of his crevices for the past 2 months

BikeIt - LOVED the report. Hugely inspiring - would love to have a go at it myself. Thanks for taking the time to post it fella
18/06/2012 at 20:17
Gul, I suspect it is too intense for me too but will see how it goes and if my creaky legs can cope. The HM session yesterday went well, 8 at MP planned for tomorrow.....
18/06/2012 at 20:21

Slokey What date are you running?

18/06/2012 at 21:16

Minni - no, not a trapped nerve this time. It's a recurrence of the lower leg/just above the ankle thing. It first happened during the Kilomathon in 2010 and that time was an injury rather than a niggle. I had massive, red swelling in the area. I saw two GPs, A&E and a sports physio and all were completely baffled. Well, A&E reckoned it was an insect bite. Idiots. I've since had the same problem on a much smaller scale in both legs at various times. It makes it painful to flex the foot, especially to bring the toes upwards. Driving is uncomfortable and slipping my foot into shoes also gets the foot at the particularly painful angle. Walking and running don't make it any more painful than it is just sitting still - a general ache. Every now and then it kind of cracks, audibly as well as feeling it. That seems to help. Having had it repeatedly before I know it will go away of its own accord in a day or two. 

18/06/2012 at 21:26
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Also-ran, was it you on the marathon talk podium in the latest edition?

Great report Bike It!

Fame at last - pick a low key marathon, and a weekend when there are few races and I got 4th in Marathon Talk, and 8th in the Race !! Now searcing the events for another soft weekend  - it's smart running

Edited: 18/06/2012 at 21:34
18/06/2012 at 21:51
29th June Minni in the wee small hours
18/06/2012 at 21:53
And the 30th June!
18/06/2012 at 22:00

Slokey  - You lucky thing getting a nighttime one.  I was hoping for one of those.

Speedy - fingers crossed its away in a few days.  Are you looking forward to starting your marathon training?  Its all coming around so fast.

I'm going to confess my dream last night.... I dreamt that I arrived at my usual spot for starting my 3 mile morning run to find Speedy and Chris Saynor there to join me!!!  wtf?   

18/06/2012 at 22:14
Currently on hols in Poland but just had to check in and say WOW bike it. An absolute belter of a report. Great running, you deserved that medal so much and lovely to hear how proud your little one was too. Top marks to the wife for her support as well.
19,121 to 19,140 of 37,117 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.