Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

19,141 to 19,160 of 37,375 messages
18/06/2012 at 22:31
OO lets go. wrote (see)

Hope you can make it too AR....it's a cracker

Is that the Kent Coastal on 2nd Sept OO. Quite fancied that, but having problems with dates in Sep and Oct to try a fit in an Autumn marathon. At the moment its looking like Leicester or Luton. I have some Halfs around my patch and one in London in the diary:

22/7 Down Tow Up Flow HM  (Windsor to Marlow)
19/8 Burnham Beeches HM
16/9 Maidenhead HM
28/10 Run to the Beat.

Really would like one flatish road marathon before I begin training for VLM. The Wales Marathon did nothing for learning to pace myself with 900m climb over the course

18/06/2012 at 22:35

Can't wait, Minni! Now, why exactly are you dreaming about me????

18/06/2012 at 23:29

... and what were you doing with Chris S

RJ - how are the Poles feeling at the moment. A few long faces I'd imagine.

Looks like the legs are filling up quickly as the real torch relay heads south. Will have to keep looking frequently as it passes reasonably close to our house on one day, and right outside our office on another!

Edited: 18/06/2012 at 23:32
19/06/2012 at 02:29
Thanks for the heads up on the relay Minnie, I've bagged a leg in early July in a lovely part of the Peak District nr Buxton.

Lovely pics Bike It, if it's not too personal a question are you able to put any kind of estimate on what it costs to do Comrades...flights, hotels, transport etc? I'd love to do it. Love that Durban curry too.
19/06/2012 at 06:41

Great photos Bike It.
Well done to SJ and Poacher on getting legs booked. Must check again in a minute to see if any more have been added. Thinking about the official torch, has anyone heard from Martin lately? Not long to his stretch in Oakham.
5 mile pootle to the in-laws and back this morning to feed the fish and water the tomato plants followed by dog-walking.

Edited: 19/06/2012 at 06:42
19/06/2012 at 06:45

Bike it - Much respect on Comrades. Great report too.

KR and EFC Col -  I went with Wrexham AC - A number of quick chaps there who are very helpful and encouraging so will try and improve off the back of them.

Not doing much running due to rugby/birthdays/life but plan to set up something with structure for next week and target a quick 10k and HM in the autumn.

19/06/2012 at 06:49

Masses of relay legs added since I last checked, but not got as far as Norfolk yet. I see Keswick to Scafell Pike is still available!

19/06/2012 at 06:50

Very disappointed not to have been in Minni's dream.

Bike It - An astonishing report, which should be used in schools etc. as inspiration.

Good shout-out to AR on MT, very well-deserved!

How's that leg, Speedy? And what about Martin and Birch's knees? I hope you're all recovering from your respective injury woes.

I'm persevering with my injury, and in fact I do seem to be improving. There is occasionally still some discomfort, but the root cause has been addressed and dealt with, so it's just a case of taking care of the affected area. The physio says I can run, so I am. I did a 4-miler on Saturday followed by 6 on Sunday and haven't felt any ill-effects so willl just keep plugging away and gradually increase the intensity. At the moment I'm just looking at time on feet, and plodding round the park @ 8:15mmm.

Still going to physiotherapy, and doing lots of stretching, abs etc, as well as doing bike and swimming (1km a time, unthinkable just a few weeks ago).

Just pleased to be able to run at all, tbh...

Edited: 19/06/2012 at 06:51
19/06/2012 at 07:15

Ant - I ran some of London with you, you featured in my race report,  I thought of you during those last depressing miles of Edinburgh (all 17 of them), and now you want to be in my dreams too?  You're a demanding man!     Glad things are looking up for you.

19/06/2012 at 07:42
I was thinking the same about not being in Minni's dream too Ant. pleased to hear you're getting back to running now though.

Lorenzo, the Poles have taken things pretty well. I went to watch the match at the Fanzone in Gdansk which was great. It's a shame that they've been knocked out but the Poles are fairly resilient. Worse things have happened in their history.
19/06/2012 at 07:58

Always better once you start running again Ant and seeing improvement.

Sorry AR different coast (this one is Beadnall to Alnmouth in the N East.

19/06/2012 at 08:34
Satisfying 9.5 miles with 3.5 fast in the middle for me this morning. Not back to where I want / need to be speed-wise, but encouragingly nevertheless.

Will have to remember to look for Marathon Talk as I must be the only thread member not to appear on it! Where do I find it?

Good news that you're back up and running Ant. How are the plans for your trip back going?
Edited: 19/06/2012 at 08:38
19/06/2012 at 08:47
Also-ran wrote (see)
Fame at last - pick a low key marathon, and a weekend when there are few races and I got 4th in Marathon Talk, and 8th in the Race !! Now searcing the events for another soft weekend  - it's smart running

OK, so maybe it wasn't VLM but your result is not low key, 3:02 is to be shouted out. With a bit of smart thinking you could have also won the V40 category in the BMAF marathon champs as you beat all the vets bar one V35 and that doesn't really count as vet:

http://www.bvaf.org.uk/results/res2012/bmaf2012mar.htm

Having said that, I am thinking about the same tactic with a marathon in September.

I notice you are unattached and seem to be down my neck of the woods (at least those races you list are ones I have done some of) so have you considered joining a running club?

19/06/2012 at 09:06

PMJ - I live in Maidenhead. I would like to know what joing a club offers, and so have been meaning to go down to Maidenhead AC one evening to see what it is all about, what sessions they run, and what their events calendar is like. Do you recommend any club(s) in the area. I never seem to see any Maidenhead vests in races, but loads of Marlow, Datchet, Burnham etc.

19/06/2012 at 09:30

Epic Comrades Report Bike IT - well done on achieving the goal.  I need to put it to the back of the mind but I keep getting this voice telling me that I need to run Comrades one of these days ..

If I was closer I would be temptd to run the Keswick to Scafell Pike leg

Good to see Ant off the bench. 

Still lots of bimbling from me - it's going to be a slow build ...

19/06/2012 at 09:33

Poacher, I think you would very much enjoy it.  Certainly it is the highlight of my running experiences.   My trip was mostly holiday as my wife is from SA and wanted to see her family and have our baby christened. Normally we go in the school holidays as she is a teacher, but is currently on maternity leave so I wanted to take the opportunity to run  Comrades as well

We stayed in SA for 23 days as a family of 4 and stayed total of 9 nights in hotels, hired 3 cars for a total of 8 days and took 2 internal flights from Johannesburg to Durban and Durban to Kruger.  The rest of the time we stayed with family in the North-West provence. I probably spent around £4000 on the whole trip.  I went for reasonable/middle priced things in the main and think I only had 2 indulgances which were flights from Durban to the Kruger to save driving there over 2 days with dodgy legs and hiring a 4x4 for the Kruger (plus Comrades branded clothing)

The rough costs that were related directly to Comrades were:

Race Entry US$180/£120ish plus you need to buy a timing chip as well.  Expensive I know, but I don't mind subsidising the African runners as the first other international runner (17th Comrades) I spoke to at the Expo was from Lesthuto and was about to run the race on shoes in which the upper was completely split open and the sole had been worn to the cushioning and was flapping about - I helped him find a pair from the charity bin.  Probably I would have just bought him a pair if we hadn't have found some.

Flights

London-Johannesburg (return) - around £550 per adult Air France (via  Paris).  Direct London to Joburg flights are around 700-800

Joburg-Durban (one-way) - around £40  per adult on a low-cost airline (Kulula)

Hotel in Durban was around £80 per night for a 2 bedroom apartment with breakfast overlooking the ocean

Food costs in Durban were fairly modest for excellent food - I'd be surprised if we even spent £20 per person per day for food and drinks

Transfer from Durban airport to Durban was about £8 per adult by mini-bus each way

Bus travel to the start was around £5

I also indulged in Comrades branded clothing which was fairly pricy at, e.g.,  around £25 for a technical top

All other things in Durban were very reasonably priced, e.g. we went to the uShaka aquarium/dolphins/seals and spent around 4 hours there for £20.

The only thing I found expensive were taxis

If you want to add a bit of a holiday as well then probably my 2 recommendations would be the Cape (fly then to Cape Town) for a scenic/lifestyle/relaxation holiday or the Kruger (fly to Joburg) if you want to go to the bush.  To give you an idea of the prices of the Kruger:

Flight from Durban to Kruger (one-way) - around £200 per adult on SAA (expensive I know but I didn't want to spend 2 days driving to the Kruger with beaten up legs)

Hotels just outside the Kruger averaged about £90 per day with breakfast and dinner

Car hire was around £60 per day (although this was a big car) and fuel would be about 75% of UK price

Kruger park entry fees would be around £8 per person per day

Entry opens in September 

19/06/2012 at 09:57

Turns out 2 people from my club ran as well and they've posted their race report on the club website.  I now really, really want to do Comrades but am telling myself if has to wait until after I have broken 1.25 and 3.00 for the half and full, and preferably also made my shorter distance times more respectable.  Perhaps it could be my present to myself when I become a V35 in a couple of years' time!

19/06/2012 at 11:40

I’ve been happily lurking for months but just had to have a quick de-lurk to say how much I enjoyed your race report Bike it. It was a truly inspiring report and performance. I’ve been thinking about running an ultra myself recently and your report may have just tipped the balance.

Great running by everyone else by the way! I’m away back to lurk land.

Edited: 19/06/2012 at 11:40
19/06/2012 at 11:40

Hi Ant - glad to see you're persevering, and seeing improvement. Just back from GP - finally decided to get in the system, first step of which is referral to physio. In the meantime, I've decided to continue with a 2/3 times a week running regime - the continuing (mostly low level) pain is worth it for the sake of my sanity . . .

Good to see SBD "bimbling" again too.   

19/06/2012 at 11:56
Thanks for that BI, useful numbers and much as one would expect. I know SA fairly well and have been working in Jbg the last couple of summers (nervy place to train at times!) so would just go for a short Comrades-focussed trip. Sadly as you will know the high cost of urban transport is inevitable for personal safety. Perhaps the Lakeland 100 or similar should be your next challenge.....

Joolska, it's difficult isn't it, while Comrades would be great, mountain ultra and road mara really are different beasts and going long might well derail a speedy mara campaign. Still it's a good incentive to get that 2:5X and then move on up.

The equation between sub 1.25 HM and sub 3 mara is interesting - both good targets but surely the former is somewhat easier than the latter.

Who is going to volunteer to carry the baton up Scafell P?
19,141 to 19,160 of 37,375 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.