Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

19,181 to 19,200 of 37,890 messages
MsE
23/06/2012 at 18:18

That sounds promising, Ant., although it is a bit sad to think about the marathon you are missing out on.  Never mind, there will be others and you are on the way back to fitness which is what matters. 

As for me, I am not sure I will be getting over this soon.  I actually think it may mean missing the San Francisco marathon as it is going to take a few weeks at least realistically to settle down, if at all.  I wonder if I should be realistic about it now and think about ensuring the injury doesn't get chronic and linger rather than try to run here and there but feel like it is not quite getting better?

Your PF sounds like the next sort of injury I could succumb to Philip if this doesn't go away.  To run or not to run, that is the question?  Your recovery gives me hope AR.

Oh and that brown woolly thing is the Just Spayed Hunting Dog complete with cone head to stop her licking her wound.  Poor thing cannot run either for 10 days.  Or play with other dogs and get too excited. I know how she feels. 

Well done on the mile win, Speedy!

23/06/2012 at 19:09

MsE - sounds to me as though you need to get the Achilles sorted, and then make plans. Running here and there while it's still not better will probably delay the recovery and you'll probably get marginal (if any) training benefit. Presumably there's plenty of cross-training options you can do?

Great parkrun from Gul.

Congrats to Speedy on yet another victory!

Ant - things look like they're looking up a bit more now. Are you still going to be in the Preston area w/c 2 July?

Have been mixing things up a bit in the last few days - weather was looking a bit miserable on Thursday so I took myself down to the gym near work and did 5K on the rowing machine followed by a very short weights session; Friday was one of my favourite trail runs - had rained overnight so muddy and tough going in places, but thoroughly enjoyable nevertheless.

This morning was promising to be a lot more pleasant so I was out of the house on the bike at 6.15 and managed to get a 65 mile ride through the Surrey and Sussex countryside. All good training for a weekend at the beginning of August which looks like it'll be a 75 mile ride on the Saturday followed by 65 miles on the Sunday.

I trust everyone has been dipping into the Olympics tickets website as tickets are becoming available as some people return them. Managed to get a couple of extra Badminton tickets along with a ticket on No.1 court for MrsL to watch the tennis. Some athletics tickets have come up, but unfortunately only the £450 ones! 

Edited: 23/06/2012 at 19:09
23/06/2012 at 19:30

I had a look for tennis Lorenzo, but it said none were available. Am I doing something wrong????

23/06/2012 at 20:40

MsE - Don't get too disheartened. Take some pro-active steps, i.e. go and see a sports doc, and you'll feel much better. It's the uncertainty that's the real bugger.

Lorenzo - Yes, I'm going to be in Southport (Ainsdale, to be precise) from 2nd-30th July.

In fact,  I have thought about contacting the local running club, Southport Waterloo AC, to join in with their midweek sessions. Do you think this is a goer? Are clubs happy to let people do this? I saw that they do fartlek sessions, etc. so I thought this could be a good idea. I'd be happy to swell their coffers, if necessary.

23/06/2012 at 21:42

I should think that'll be fine Ant. I've joined in with Elswick Harriers when up North and with Loftus and Whitby AC on holiday there. 

23/06/2012 at 22:28

PMJ, Slokey, Gul et al... got the baton safely over the border and its now heading south, complete with an England flag!  Running bang on time!

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/46278/gallery/relay.jpg?width=350

23/06/2012 at 23:15

Blimey that's some batton Minni- must be hard running with that?

I took a day off as my sore foot was a bit more tender than usual and I didn't want to pound round the parkrun on it. Mine feels more like the tendons that run down the top of the foot where they meet the ankle.

Feels a bit better now so out for 15 in the morning for a 42 week. 

24/06/2012 at 00:40
Speedy - I think you have to keep looking. I guess that they're coming up as and when people return them. Some available for weighlifting at the moment!
Edited: 24/06/2012 at 00:41
24/06/2012 at 01:57

Minni wrote (see)

I'm going to confess my dream last night.... I dreamt that I arrived at my usual spot for starting my 3 mile morning run to find Speedy and Chris Saynor there to join me!!!  wtf?   

Sorry for the late reply but only just catching-up having just returned from chicago, which included a nice run with non-running colleagues along the lake...I even encouraged them to do some fartlek...he...he. What a great city, would be a good overseas marathon as an alternative to NYC/Boston I would imagine.

Anyway onto more important things...me, speedy and minni all in the same dream - please tell me more 

Bikeit...superb, no more needs to be said...wow

Olympic tickets arrived this week. I seem to be in the gods in row 71, opposite side to the 100m straight but pretty much in line with the finishline. Still waiting on my basketball tickets to arrive.

24/06/2012 at 06:10

Ant - pleased to hear your loops are getting bigger.
SD - hope you manage to get out in the cool of the early day.
MsE - sadly, I think you need to get the achilles sorted which will probably take a little while. Take care now.
Lorenzo - is that an official event you're doing in August? Good training this week whatever.
OOlg - hope the foot is okay for your long run today.
CS - which events will you be watching at the Olympic stadium? Still waiting for our tickets to arrive.
Minni - well done on the relay. Will there be a report? Looking at the baton, I think I'd better get down the gym

24/06/2012 at 08:25
Gul - the second day is something that's being organised by someone at work, so official-ish. As my sister lives near the start, I've decided to make it a bit more of a challenge by cycling to her place the day before.

We've got our handball tickets that we got in the first round, but are still waiting for everything that we've applied for and got since then.
24/06/2012 at 11:18

Blimey Minni, that's huuuuge. Even allowing for how tiny you are. 

24/06/2012 at 12:27

Good to hear Ant is back running a bit more now.  Hope that the body continues to hold up and that MsE is able to reap the benefits of her cross-training.  Looks like Minni had fun with the MaxiTorch yesterday.  I think they should make one in petite!!!!

10M easy for me to round off a recovery week of 35M, with half an eye on the fact there is a 5k mob match on Tuesday.  Currently feeling knackered due to too much beer last night, but I'm those effects will have passed within 48 hours.

24/06/2012 at 12:45

Shock horror- Joolska a beer monster.

I saw that mighty that torch coming down Tynemouth seafront this morning. 17 miles for me at an impressive 8:40 per mile (my pals dragged me along). It's my longest since VLM so I'm pleased with that- and the foot was no worse than usual. 44 for the week.

24/06/2012 at 13:03

It's my music friends, OO - they lead me astray, drinking beer into the small hours when my running friends are usually tucked up in bed!

24/06/2012 at 14:26

MsE I would suggest getting an expert to look at it asap. As Ant says, it is the not knowing that makes it worse.

Minni That is a bigun'

16 miles for me today 8:33 pace and it was hard work. Out before 9 but still 24 degrees. Feel shattered at the moment. There is a steady/steep climb that lasts for 1.5 miles, just after the 10 mile mark which really attacks the calfs. It gives me a negative outlook during the entire run, as I know it is coming. Good feeling once it is out of the way

24/06/2012 at 15:19

MsE have a week off anti inflammatory and ice until the swelling disappears. Then continue icing it after every run to be on the safe side, fingers crossed for you.

Minni very impressed with the big one you carried, a great occasion.

Jools drinking beer!!! good luck on the 5k.

Gul well done on your continued improvement and more to come.

10k for me today, with not doing much speed work since VLM i suspected it was going to be tough day.

We set out along the prom against a fairly strong headwind for about 3.5k, a tight u turn and 2.5k to a park.The next 3k is up through a muddy trail which was quite slippery in places and i was already finding it even harder than expected.

Having finally reaching the end of the mud the course took us back onto the prom for a a couple of hundred metres then up and around a grass field to the finish for 39.12. and 22nd place.4th vet 50.

Things i have learnt today (1 ) you need to do speed work (.2 ) run more short races (3) stop eating sh*te food 

24/06/2012 at 15:55

Did you learn anything you didn't know already efc col

Stick with the music friends Joolska- they sound more fun.

Barmy weather in the North- we've gone from thunder storms to heatwave now..

24/06/2012 at 16:24
Long Run today, Maidenhead to Windsor and back. Loads of activity now going on at Dorney in preparation for the Olympics Rowing. Got tickets for some of the finals where we stand a chance of some gold - not long now.

Due to family crisis, my 17 mile run turned into 31 (ok I walked three). Can I now claim accidental ultra runner status?

Next run remember to take mobile, or remember that you have to run a long way around Maidenhead to find a phone box that a) works and b) takes coins

Think i now earned some of efc-col's sh*te food and joolska's beer for this afternoon.
Edited: 24/06/2012 at 16:27
24/06/2012 at 16:45
Nice one Minni, looking forward to my leg and seeing if it glows in the dark.

Col, that sounds like a tough course, and a decent time considering you haven't done anything specific.

AR, that is a LONG run

19 miles on the new bike today, only 1 crash - not bad going. The bike is OK - thankfully I broke its fall took a corner a bit too quick and then applied the rear brake a bit to excessively on a slippery road and then bounced around on the tarmac for a few metres. Initiation into the world of cycling has begun.
19,181 to 19,200 of 37,890 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.