Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

19,321 to 19,340 of 37,863 messages
30/06/2012 at 22:21

F**king hell Slokey - where did that one come from? Awesome stuff. Would support Speedy's suggestion for the video evidence.

All those in favour, raise their right hand!!! 

30/06/2012 at 22:47
Tell you what, if I break 3 hrs at Abingdon I'll do it in front of everybody at the finish line!
01/07/2012 at 08:09
Slokey,

Wow, I have heard of the Couch to 5k plans for beginners, put never realised they literally were couch to 18:28 5k. That is impressive
I couldn't get into Abingdon - someone please take a video camera.
01/07/2012 at 10:06

Well done, Slokey - that's impressive stuff.  But I'm not prepared to replicate the sleep-deprived racing conditions!  Ditto requests for video proof of the pb dance.

Singing was ok but lurgy is no better for having done 90 minutes of cycling.  Looks like easy running may have to wait a few more days unless there is a miraculous improvement tomorrow...

01/07/2012 at 10:08

Munich indeed efc-col

You're not doing an autumn marathon are you Jools

01/07/2012 at 10:18

Blimey, Slokey, you pulled that one out of the top drawer - well done!

I'm still struggling a bit with the injury, going out 4 times a week and doing 20-25 mpw. Still a bit sore, just hoping with plenty of stretching and strengtheening my back, legs and abs the thing will sort itself with time.

Packing my bags today in readiness to go off to Southport, where I'm taking a group of Spanish teenagers to spend the month of July. Hope the weather's better there than it is here!

I've decided not to to do VLM 2013. After four consecutive years and disappointments in the last two I think it's time to do a different matrathon. It just so happens that next year's Asturias Marathon will be in March, rather than in mid-June  to escape the heat, so I'll probably do that. An early target? Sub -3:15 and get my GFA again for 2014!

01/07/2012 at 12:05
You're coming from Spain to Southport for better weather?!

15 miles this morning with a couple of killer hills. Most of the miles between 7:20 and 7:40 apart from the hills, one of which came out at 11:17mm - ouch

Off for a lie down now. Looking forward to the footy, if Balotelli scores I win the predict the score,results,winner, top scorer competition at work. C'mon Mario!
01/07/2012 at 12:19

SJ, doesn't seem you can stop running at the moment: a relay stage, a whopping PB and then 15 today. Congrats on the 18:28, it now gets harder but the seconds are fun to chase.

I raced 5 today and my PB is 29:19 so was out to try and get it closer to 29 and at 3 miles in 17:12 it looks like a couple of 6s would suffice but there was a strong head wind from 3 to 4 (and that was the only wind on an otherwise sheltered and flat course so no matching tail wind) which cost me a 6:14 and even a strong last mile couldn't undo that so 29:22 will go down in the records. Pisser was that I was deliberately at the back of a group for just such a scenario and I dropped of a few metres just before we hit that section. PF is still not clear and racing shoes with minimal support didn't help but  I think it is getting better rather than worse and would prefer to struggle for a few weeks and keep the cardio ticking over rather than rest up and get set back a month in fitness terms. No races until Wednesday now for a club champs 5k

Edited: 01/07/2012 at 12:20
01/07/2012 at 12:28
38.15 for the Tadley 10k. It's not a pb but the course was pretty undulating, with a couple of fairly steep hills.
I couldn't manage to stay with the front group and found myself running on my own (again) for about 8k so it always feels more like a time trial and easier to drop off the pace. Pleased no one overtook me and I managed to pass three the final 3k.
01/07/2012 at 15:06
Oooh so close PMJ, well done on a very fast time. I think you're right on keeping going and let the PF ease off gradually. Otherwise that month could turn into 2 or 3.

Well done Moof. Very good time particularly on a largely solo run. Super impressive.
01/07/2012 at 15:55

Nice racing from PMJ and Moof.

No, Speedy, no autumn marathon for me, but it's supposed to the summer of speed - no chance of any speedwork for at least a week now with the virus as it is...

01/07/2012 at 16:51

Slokey - blooming heck well done.  That baton must have given you speed powers!

Ant - I can't believe you're not going to do London.  Will you come and watch and share a drink in Chandos at least?

PMJ -  good going and just off a pb. 

moof - speedy 10k. 

Jools - nice work getting out of the speed work with a virus!

I'm getting back up to speed now with 52 miles this week.  A 6k race was cancelled on Thursday night so I did some 1K reps instead and a long run of 16 today.  My calf is a bit sore.  History there so might have to take it easy for a couple of days. 

01/07/2012 at 17:27

AR - great 10k; congrats on the sub 40. "You're gonna reap just what you sow..."
PMJ - thanks for the news. Martin - all the best if you're lurking.
SJ - 4:46 m/m! Amazing time there for a shiny new PB. Must be something in that new schedule.
Ant - hang in there, mate. Enjoy sunny Southport. I'd better cancel next year's Spanish holiday
Great racing from PMJ and Moof.
Minni - very nice weekly mileage. Take care of that calf now.

01/07/2012 at 18:55

Minni - yes, I know, what a p***er - but I may just come over for the beer  (and support you lot). I'm sure it'll be much more fun that way!!

Slokey - it's been pretty wet and windy here, although I sneaked in a cheeky picnic in the hills today, and was rewarded with glorious weather - only 21ºC, though.

Gul - Where were you thinking of going?

01/07/2012 at 19:06
Ant- its a long way to come just for a pint. Enter the race, stay focused, put this years race to bed and reach your target.......then have a celebratory pint. It's the only way.
01/07/2012 at 19:17
If Ant's not doing London then I'm not either.
01/07/2012 at 19:58

I'm not doing London in 2013, but will in 2014. Will be on a drinks station and may try and sneak off early to Chandos. May do a few marathons as LSRs but not a competitive one.

01/07/2012 at 20:08

Ant, you have to come to Chandos. It would be weird without you. It's not like it's much of a trip for you to get there .

PMJ - possibly the only person who races more often than I do! So close to your best, and when injured too. You have to be happy with that!

I've spent my afternoon down at Holme Pierrepont lake in a howling gale cheering on the Outlaw nutters. My friend finished 7th lady in 11.29.42. I'm chilled to the bone and starving hungry just from 4 hours of supporting plus half an hour of walking. God only knows how the triathletes are feeling. Many of them are still out there....

01/07/2012 at 20:53
Hi all, new to the thread. I have signed up to my first marathon at Dartmoor Vale on 21st October. Following a 17 week P&D schedule and part way through reading PD advanced marathoning. Various indicators would proffer a sub 3 time but realistically first time out a good for age 3.15 would be a more sensible target (vet 46 nearly). I've decided to train at sub 3 paces and see what happens over the coming weeks. So far so good after 2nd week of 67 miles. Did my 16 miles part marathon pace run this morning and felt strong in the 2nd 8 miles which were All sub 7 mins. Havnt totally discounted a sub 3 but that would be dream land. I feel sure I will be dropping in here for advice over coming weeks from you guys with all the experience. One thing already had my first case of nasty nipple chaffing today despite a liberal smear of brave soldier anti friction cream! Any recommended solution? Tried a few gels today and found them all awkward to open on the move! Any recommendations? Thanks all.
01/07/2012 at 21:02
Hi DM! Sounds like things are starting off well. What's your history? Biggest problem on the first campaign is injury cropping up with an increase in volume. Nipples? - body glide is good and if that doesn't work try plasters. I swear by viper gels - very easy to take and simple to open with a bite on the end and a quick tug.

PMJ, just clawed one of those difficult seconds off my PB - official time 18:27
19,321 to 19,340 of 37,863 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.