sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

33,021 to 33,040 of 67,389 messages
05/02/2009 at 10:57

Didds - my ITV did the same, missing the goal - ironically to a BT wireless broadband advert in which the catch line was 'Isn't it frustrating when you suddenly lose connection?'!!!

I was glad when Lucas was sent off, because he's rubbish and at least wouldn't be on the pitch to give away penalties - plus he now gets banned, so Benitez can't use him.

Anyway, enough of that - I am home with the kids again as the roads are blocked and the school closed. Will run my tempo run on the treadmill tonight and hope the weather allows outdoor running at the weekend, or else my long run might be cut to the 10 miles or so I can take in one go on a treadmill.

05/02/2009 at 13:08
I went out for run first thing at reservoirs near me (6.5 mile trail run) - was gorgeous with all the snow. Snow started as we started running - was very picturesque but it felt a lot harder running in the snow than the route normally feels. Blizzard like conditions here now so please dI went out early.
05/02/2009 at 14:21

Sounds lovely Jovi.

Still white here, but melting.  Went for a swim in Winch this am and there was no snow there. But the closer you get to our neck of the woods the snowier it gets.  Looks like we had a couple of inches last night which stayed, despite all the rain.

JMan - you may have a point with the American girls on TV.

WT - off course missing one run won't matter.  

05/02/2009 at 14:24

Sorry WT - that sounded very bossy and it wasn't meant to!

A question for everyone: if you had to miss a run during a marathon/half training week, but you could choose which one had to go, what would it be?

For me it would be a general steady run, followed by speed session.   I think the long run is most important, followed by threshold.

Just had a doughnut. Bit into it and, horror of horrors, it was custard not jam . Feel short changed. Such a disappointment.

05/02/2009 at 14:35
Apparently Michael Grade (Head of ITV) was watching the football last night - hewas not best pleased!
05/02/2009 at 14:46

AH - oooh you are bossy actually your post made me make a decision so it was a good post. Missed speed session on Tuesday due to weather and then 6 miler today, so I have got my PT session tomorrow and I'm going to do the speed session after that at the gym, so I only miss one session instead of two. Could go out now but got to get kids in 25 mins so it won't give me enough time. Have had an hour's walk with the dog in the park, who howls if you don't throw snowballs - so bit of energy exerted!

Hoping I am ok to do 12 miles on Sat/Sun weather permitting.

AH - I am excited about meeting up, we could eat jam (not custard) doughnuts

As for football, I was not privy to such terrible crimes committed

05/02/2009 at 14:56
AH - I would probably give the speed session a miss. they definitely help for overall training but I think missing one would not effect mara chances too much. If I was training for a 5K or 10K then the long run would probably be the one I'd miss.
05/02/2009 at 16:08

Good point Jovi -depends what you're training for.

custard doughnuts

Wonder if Susan managed to get to where she was going down the M4??

My legs really ache. They feel like they've worked really hard.  Perhaps all the massaging is catching up with me.

05/02/2009 at 16:09
I went out for run first thing at reservoirs near me (6.5 mile trail run) - was gorgeous with all the snow. Snow started as we started running - was very picturesque but it felt a lot harder running in the snow than the route normally feels. Blizzard like conditions here now so please dI went out early.
05/02/2009 at 16:13

Where's that double post come from - very odd? Just to prove we're tough up North - photos taken on this mornings runby my mate John! I'm the one in black - looking like I'm all dressed to rob a bank! LOL

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/yorkglobe/fewstoninthesnow.jpg

and a spot of refreshments afterwards....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/yorkglobe/fewstonpicnic.jpg

Edited: 05/02/2009 at 16:22
05/02/2009 at 17:10
 Ooh, looks lovely!
05/02/2009 at 18:54

ooh yes how fun Jovi! Memories are coming back of John dragging us up hills in Malham in the rain/hail, he's not one to let weather put him off is he? Then again, neither are you!! Well done, glad it was ok and you got home before the blizzards!

I called up yesterday about my MRI result and was cheerfully told "oh yes, it came this morning" but then wouldn't tell me anything over the phone and I just have to wait to get an appointment letter in the post again Feel really nervous about it all over again.. it's suddenly only 8 weeks til I go to Hawaii and really wanted to be mended by then.

AH - I agree, custard doghnuts or anything with custard in

05/02/2009 at 19:12

Custard's lovely - just not in doughnuts...

J very upset. The county schools thing he was meant to be running in this weekend has been cancelled.  He's upset because it was his first chance to run for Hampshire in a Hampshire vest.  NExt year he'll be  a year young so the chances of him qualifying are slim.  Sad .

Hi Tutu.

05/02/2009 at 19:30

Hello back!  Poor J, sounds frustrating.

I'm being soooo lazy, I've said every day this week I will go swimming, and every day I haven't. Oh dear!

05/02/2009 at 20:01

Tutu, you are like me in January when I did not go outside for a run for the whole month. Good luck with the result. It must be very frustrating having to wait.

No posts from me yesterday due to signal failure at Victoria station. You would have thought that with all the problems with the weather earlier in the week Network Rail would be making sure the railways would be operating smoothly. But no, the signal failure meant 1 and half a hours sitting outside Clapham Junction going nowhere because there where too many trains queued up in front. What normally takes 50 minutes to get home took 3 hours.

Anyway Hen, I will be sending thank-you letter to Southern trains but I didn't get the name of the chap who helped me on a very difficult morning for railway staff. I have seen him many times at East Croydon so next time I see him will get his name so that the managers of Southern Railway now what an excellet job he did.

05/02/2009 at 20:08

Hen, no I haven't forgotten your post earlier. Core and lower body strengthening is essential for the muscles that support the knees

Today, I managed 10k on the treadmill set at a gradient of 2 in 49:53 so I have finally broken the 50 minutes This is not bad considering that my legs and feet are aching in different places from running because of walking in snow for 3 days in boots I haven't worn for a few years.

05/02/2009 at 20:23

Jovi - lovely pics. We made an igloo today in our garden. Well, it's sort of an open-top igloo, as it took forever. But if it doesn't melt and more snow comes, it could yet be finished.

HRR - ITV's highlights FA Cup package has been consistently rubbish this season - nowhere near Match of the Day; and this latest foul-up doesn't show them in a good llight. It would never happen on your watch!

Ran 6 miles this evening: 2 miles easy, 3 miles fast tempo @ 7:30 mm pace, or 8mph, then 1 mile easy.

I've decided that, should we actually get into school tomorrow, some of my classes will be doing a cartoon strip story of 'Les aventures incroyables d'un bonhomme de neige'.

05/02/2009 at 20:33

Chi, agree with with your comments re ITV - too many ads. It's the same with Champions league.

Jovi, yes good pics but the snow looks nowhere near as deep as it was here on Monday.

06/02/2009 at 07:31

Chi - was your igloo the one on BBC News last night

Smeagol - agree with you re the core and lower body strengthening, I have only been concentrating on this since November but it has made a massive difference and has almost eliminated my back and knee problems.

No more snow today at last Meeting PT at gym at 9.30 (best get my make up on ) and going to do Tues speed session whilst I'm there. Hoping to do 12 miles tomorrow or Sunday as well. I do feel rubbish when I miss a run and really ought not to, it's not like it's the end of the world!

06/02/2009 at 08:03

I must say that, although I'm enjoying not having to get out for long runs and not worrying about missing runs.... I do miss the satisfaction and sense of well being (oh, all right, smugness) that comes from ticking off the marathon training runs.

Must find and chat up the local PT and offer him a massage... might be good for biz.

Going to have a domestic morning. House really is vile.  But first - marmalade making. The Aga is hottest in the morning so that's the time for all that boiling. Thought I'd bung  a couple of grapefruit into my normal concoction this time.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.