sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

421 to 440 of 66,916 messages
26/01/2004 at 11:26
V-rap, Watford half on Sunday, I know what you mean about the weight training, still keep hoping.

Wabo, sorry to hear about your twisted ankle, I hope it improves soon.
26/01/2004 at 11:33
benicetome...you are insane. 120 miles on a bike PLUS 90k running? If i ever make it down to RP i'll feel like the coyote chasing the roadrunner
Crazy Addick...what time you looking for in the watford half? whats a decent sub-4 time for a half? 100?
JPVD.
26/01/2004 at 11:42
Thanks CA, at least spurs limped along a bit better than me yesterday - well that's debatable!
26/01/2004 at 11:45
JPVD, Not to sure on that one, as it will be my first, have managed to do 1:46 in training before x-mas so hope to do around 1:50 will see.

I will be using this race as my first pointer to see if my ambitions for the marathon are realistic, after that I have booked to run in the Hastings Half, RW training run in RP, a mcmillan trainnig day at Greenwich and the Worthing 20 miler, these race & training days will I hope all help me decide what I can achieve in the FLM while enjoying the day and experience.

What time are you looking at?

CA
26/01/2004 at 11:48
Wabo, yeah the bad news is that the Addicks game against Spurs will now have to be moved ,and as we normally finish our season ten games before everyone else that give you 3 points.
26/01/2004 at 12:39
Ca, did the Marlow 1/1 in 2 hours...but what a nightmare that was.
pouring rain, running in ankle deep water for miles on end, fighting waterfalss up some very steep hills, and slip-sliding down.
did my itb in and took until now to recover! just going to take it easy on the watford cuz i dont want to mess my FLM up...
would like to chart a decent time to see where i am at, but the chilterns dont allow it, looking for a decent time at silverstone or the kingston brekkie run...
does anyone know a *realistic* half-marathon time for a sub-4 marathon?
JPVD.
26/01/2004 at 12:48
JPVD - RW marathon schedules say:

Sub4: capable of sub 1:50 half
Sub 3:45 capable of sub 1:45 half
26/01/2004 at 12:58
Hi Percy, how's the calf?, had a look at the Greenwich Park thread, may ask if I can join them in a couple of weeks after Watford.

JPVD, you 've now got me think what the hell have I done entering Watford, sound like we're in for a treat this weekend with all those hills, maybe I will settle for 2 hours plus.

CA
26/01/2004 at 13:08
CA - calf's improving thanks, but I'm still resting it. I'm also going back to the sports masseur for expert advice this evening. Sounds like a straightforward over use injury !?

Some good training getting reported now people - keep up the good work. I will be back soon ;-)
26/01/2004 at 18:41
Percy

Hope it is good news I have just come back from my sports massage,I injured my calf yesterday during my run,anyway he is so good was able to pin point the place it is my Soleus so after some deep massage I have to ice it for 8 mins at a time tonight and no running or stretching until Wednesday...sob sob sob I am going to go slightly mad!!!!
26/01/2004 at 20:40
Poppy,

Sorry to hear about the niggle. I hope that the ice and rest clears it up. Looking on the bright side, you might miss the worst of the cold snap...
Coincidentally, the bloomin' Soleus muscle was also responsible for my foot problems a couple of weeks ago so you have my sympathies, as do Percy and all other injured forumites.

Did a quick 5.5 today (42 minutes) in order to see whether I could cope with Lucozade whilst running.
Frankly, the jury's still out (but on the positive side, the Lucozade's still in!)
Having read some stuff in forums, I tried knocking it back quickly but that may have been a mistake. I'll try sipping it a bit next time and see if it's less unpleasant.

Ah well, off to use the ice packs.

Best wishes to all.
27/01/2004 at 12:36
Hmmm, my sympathies to you Poppy. Take it easy and don't go back before it's better.

Can't remember which muscle I've "torn a few fibres in" but it's sort of behind the knee and responsible for knee stability. Will start with a gentle jog tomorrow if it feels ok, otherwise more rest and ice.

So all in all a week lost and a lesson learned.......next time I feel a slight niggle I'll know what NOT to do...;-)

Take care everyone.
27/01/2004 at 12:55
WP, PC, hope you both make a speedier recovery than you could possibly hope for.

This thread IS jinxed! I was fine till I came on here, and within 48 hours I was barely able to move. Nothing whatsoever to do with the weight-training, of course - that was just co-incidence.

Still got aching glutes and adductors, but I'm going to go out for a run tonight anyway - can always walk if it hurts too much to run, and call it fat-burning, cos goodness knows I need to burn a bit of fat if I'm going to keep up with you chaps. And more weights tomorrow.
27/01/2004 at 13:05
Thanks V-rap. Go easy on that iron pumping. We can't afford any more thread injuries as there's no more room on the bench!
27/01/2004 at 13:16
Ok PC and WP maybe we start a new club, the 'I'm going slightly mad' club!
I went for a foot scan last night and I am quite a slam your foot down pronator! Now I am getting Orthotics. Boyfriend (who weighs considerably less than me) says 'bah humbug'. I say I give it a try.
any thoughts peeps?
27/01/2004 at 13:44
Sure it's worth getting your gait analysed and making sure you have the right shoe.
I had this a few weeks back and discovered that I do mildy over-pronate. Luckily the shoe I'd always bought was the right choice.

If you only go out and jog a few miles each week it's probably not worth it, but if you intend serious training mileage like us lot then you'd be crazy not to IMO.

Mind you I never mind paying for expert opinions - knowledge is power and all that.
The only thing I'd say watch out for is when the "expert" says you need regualar treatment or see this other expert in the same practise...etc. etc. In other words tries to sell you stuff you don't really need.
27/01/2004 at 13:51
Hello All, May I join your group?

I plan (hope?) to do FLM (first marathon ever) in sub-4hrs this year.

Last sunday's long run was a major milestone for me as I ran 11.6 miles, 8:40/mile pace at low comfortable hr.

If I double the distance what would my expected pace be?

nrg-b.
27/01/2004 at 14:06
Nrg-b, Welcome to the party from a fellow first-timer!

That run sounds good, particularly the "comfortable hr". I'm down for a 12-mile run this Sunday and I think that it will be anything but comfortable...

As for doubling the distance, that's something I'd do gradually. If you can build up whilst keeping at about 8:50 - 9:00 then you'll be well set for the big day.

Are you following a particular training schedule?

P.S. I'm impressed that your favourite race is already the marathon!
27/01/2004 at 14:09
Welcome nrg-b. Good to see you here. I remember from our discussion at the Social that you intend to do no speed work and run FLM like a long BT training run, but still achieve sub-4 ? Given what you've achieved so far I reckon this is quite reasonable. The big question for you (and all of us really) is can we build the endurance to be able to sustain our desired pace all the way to the finish line.

As your long run pace is at a low comfortable HR then why shouldn't you be able to run at the same pace for longer?

Only more LSD training miles will answer the question for you.

27/01/2004 at 14:12
Thanks for advice PC. I do a lot of running and quite a lot of races. I have started to get probs recently (plantar fascitis) and new shoes did deal with that but I really want to nip these things in the bud as my training is suffering already.
But as someone once said " I'll be back".
ps I don't look like him honest!
421 to 440 of 66,916 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.