sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,001 to 62,020 of 67,247 messages
18/09/2012 at 21:47
Only 3 x 20 milers .... Wow .... Chancing it there.....

;) kidding of course Slack by name etc ... Only ever done one 20 miler per marathon but then I do get scoffed at ....
18/09/2012 at 22:11
Thanks artful, will take your advice!
18/09/2012 at 22:12
DTF, are you joining us?
19/09/2012 at 00:07
Scott, 3 x 20s and a 3 week taper is perfect for your first marathon. If you do another, more scope.

Taper madness comes in the next 3 weeks as your mileage drops.

Scott, I like to book a sports massage maybe 5-7 days before if possible. Definitely one the day after, (AH I'm sure approves). Certainly helped me recover very quickly, 2-3 races in the month after..

Race tonight was just horrid. Soaked through before I even started by shower ten mins earlier.
First mile or so on squelchy sand, puddles, nope actually potholes about 3ft deep hidden with water, wondered why some went right of beach.. Really sapped my legs there falling into 5-6 of them, also after doing 21miles on Sunday too?. Finally off into trail and some Tarmac, really had to push hard to stay with runners around. I forget what happened in the middle of race, apart from pain. Then back onto the same sand, strangely avoided the right hand side this way, but very tough going, somehow managed to do sub 7 mm all the way, all 6;40-6:50 ish even on the sand, 28;40 for 4.26 miles. I felt rough.

Freezing cold at end, no change of shoes, and my clothes to change into damp., luckily dropped off by pal (who I helped do the 20 miler) straight into hot bath. Brrr.
19/09/2012 at 11:55

FRC - how do you find a massage the day after a big race like a marathon?  As in, do you like it, can the therapist do much, is it painful?  I ask because - we're all different of course - I would be too sore (even if not stiff) for two or three days post.  So although a massage is nice the day after, no one woudl be able to do much on me.  Others have said the same. So I suggest to people  to leave it for two or three days - before having a massage. Then the initial inflammation has subsided, pressure will be less uncomfortable and the therapist can get more done and therefore have a greater effect.  Of course if you have the budget, you could have one a couple of days after AND one a few days after that - that'd be great. 

I think our bodies are so good at healing and recovery that it's best to to leave them to their own devices after somethign major like a tri or marathon - or half.  Or any event actually where you've put your body through the wringer. Bit of a personal thing I suppose.

Would be interested in what others think. 

Scott - if you've never had massage, as FRC says, have one a good week before the race. You won't know how you're going to react. However, if you're used to it, you could have one as close as 48 hours before.

19/09/2012 at 12:30

artfull, forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean about I wont know how I will react?? I have never had a specific "sports massage", never had an "executive massage" either.... 

19/09/2012 at 12:34

scott sometimes it can bring about aches and pains that will go leaving you feeling better than before but if you felt those aches andpains on race day perhaps not good.  NOt sure if thats what ah meant but thats my thoughts.  I would never have one too close to a race, but then I had one last night and feel amazing today! I am not running at all right now though so dont go by me...

19/09/2012 at 13:45

I will look into it, sounds like a good idea though...

19/09/2012 at 16:37

Really is worth it Scott. I'd go for Sat/ Sunday before Chester, Monday at latest. You might be sore for a day or two but wth the knee pains and odd aches you've had, the sports massage person will get kinks out of calfs, hamstrings, achilles and loosen up your legs generally. Tend to find areas you didn't know were sore. You will feel wonderful on the day then, supercharged !

AH, I get sports massage quite regularly (4-5 since Edinburgh May 27th from diary), certainly after any major events planned, or if I feel I've been doing too many hard races/ mileage. Massage the day after a marathon has been fine for me so possibly used to it? I do get straight into compression tights after any long run, ice, bath later and a few other things so do look after myself. Always go for a walk later to stretch legs. I've usually been out for a light run 2 days after marathons.

19/09/2012 at 17:01

I am def getting a massage the week before.

19/09/2012 at 21:38

What I hate about sports massage is that it isn't all nice and lovely and relaxing like Proper massage! Catches me out every time...

19/09/2012 at 22:38
Have had massage once day after marathon and really regretted it. Quite sore and not given body time to deal with what it's dealing with ... Was a while ago 2007 but never done it since!
19/09/2012 at 23:27
I have got a relaxing massage booked for after the race, all scented oils and candles, quite looking forward to that as well!
20/09/2012 at 10:42

I am having them regular again, I am convinced its why niggles keep turing into injuries for me, the lack of massage! But ouchy ouchy.

Susan I will sponsor you on payday.

20/09/2012 at 16:54

Going to attempt "Street Intervals" this evening, can't get to the club tonight so have to improvise...

I need a massage too, must sort that out.. 

20/09/2012 at 17:39

Basey, my 'OH' gives a lubberly massage - the nice kind - being an ex gymnastic coach n all. He says it relaxes HIM can you believe it? I've really landed here!!

20/09/2012 at 19:57
I googled it earlier, to try and find some wher to get a massage near me, it came up with lots of eastern European sounding types, perhaps they are former gymnasts or something? I find it all a bit confusing! *shuffles from one foot to the other, nervously checking watch and whistleing*
20/09/2012 at 20:18
Sounds saucy Scott!

Talking of saucy where is the monkey man ?

Are we still on for 26 th next week ? I have a booking in my spare room so we had better go for a drink! Are we venturing to Waterloo?
20/09/2012 at 23:27

26th better be on otherwise another 5 years will pass before I can make it!

And yes.... where is Mr.Umb?

20/09/2012 at 23:29
Scott - yes, Wabo voiced what I meant. Some people walk out feeling brilliant, others feel nothing until the next day, others feel heavy-legged for up to two days. If you know how you respond you're better able to judge the timing. Also, if you've never had a massage, you've got the effects of xx years of running built up in your legs. One massage may not be enough to get rid of all the crap, tension, congestion etc. Rome wasn't built in a day so you can't take it down in a day etec. So your first massage, although it would undoubtedly help, it might highlight everything that's wrong and worry you. I'd get one ASAP to see what you think. Then if you like it youve got time to have another one or two before Chester.

As for where, go to the Sports Massage Association website for qualified, insured therapists in your area. or London School of Sports Massage's site ( t erapists all over UK not just London). Or ask fizz for recommendations. Massage might even improve your knee. Seriously...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.