sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,241 to 62,260 of 67,404 messages
mcs
03/10/2012 at 11:53

Thanks for interesting comments FRC and others. I reckon my mileage for Edinburgh was abit low on the LSRs only did three over 20s and couple of very hilly 18s. I probably lack stamina as a desk jockey and sat infront of  a computer all day. Guess its a fine art getting the pacing right over a marathon, my mile splits were pretty good over the first half on reflection probably a minute or two too quick at 1.57.....and then the second half at 2.11 should really have been the other way round and might have been abit nearer. I only used gels and a shotblok at 20miles in the marathon and on reflection could have eaten more for breakie. Sub four still eludes me and having time to do the LSRs is tough. Have to get up earlier I reckon.

03/10/2012 at 13:03

Happy Birthday Martin !

mcs, 3 x 20s should be fine for sub4. Also depends what you do on your medium runs too for me, you might just be short a few miles a week. I saw a lot of people at London go over their half way target by 1-2 minutes then go positive by 7-10 minutes so penny dropped for me.

That extra minute or two makes a huge difference. I always think of Mel Gibson in Braveheart shouting "Hold.... Hold" now for some reason. I didn't really let go at all,  maybe mile 23 at Edi to keep things on track, half in 1:44 full in 3:28 so very even pace, no fade. I could've done 1:33-35 for first half so shows how much you hold back.

AH, just thinking, walking or static lunges on spot do the quads? uber gym gets us doing "mountain runner" which is similar but more advanced stretch, in press up position, hands in front then alternate each leg going forward level with hands, push through hips. Would they hit the quads well?

Hope the present arrives for J.

mcs
03/10/2012 at 13:23

Need to go slower and longer in training I reckon and maybe work on strength. Thanks for interesting comments. Must check out that Braveheart clip!!

Dave the flower...........as you say very often the best runs come at strangest times. My GNR time was on a tin of tomato soup and a bag of chips the night before. I have the Coeliac condition so eating out is difficult unless you want meat and veg, gluten free pasta is not on the menu in the UK Italian restaurant......

03/10/2012 at 13:30

Since when did this become a proper running thread again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome all new people

Thanks Martin. Now what present should I give myself? O I know go to mablethorpe sunday and run a marathon. Not kept it quiet but not shouted either. hope to sub 4 but we will see. Legs at least seem Ok. All this talk of long runs. each to there own but I have run 20 or more every month this year and if honest does not seem to have helped as I would have liked

03/10/2012 at 15:51

Nice present Martin!!!???

Lots of clever running talk going on here! Very serious stuff. I have nothing to add on that front. Actually ran last night with club for the first time in months...forgot it was 400 and 800 metre reps. I was actually making huffing noises which is very unlike me as I usually make no noise. All very interesting I hear you all say.

03/10/2012 at 19:00

All Very Interesting.

It's nearly My birthday too.

Doing loads of exercise but eating way too much.

03/10/2012 at 19:48
Umb - AH type noises or quieter than that?
03/10/2012 at 20:44
Time for a bagel me thinks!
03/10/2012 at 20:46
3.5 miles tonight, 8 min 30 pace. Felt really good!
03/10/2012 at 21:50

Good luck on Sunday Dave and good luck to Martin (happy birthday too ) Looking forward to hearing how you both get on.

Had my 20 week scan today, baby well and wriggling about, very cute

03/10/2012 at 22:54

I did a fun exercise with PT yesterday involving sitting on bottom, stablilizing a kind of shallow v shape, ie leaning back a bit and having your legs sticking up a bit off the floor, so engaging stomach muscles, then PT throws big swiss ball to you and you have to kick it back to her with your toes. 2 x 10 reps. Great fun.

03/10/2012 at 23:24

Ikle, gym calls thats an alekna. You can do them with a weight in your hands too, moving out to above head, and/or one on your feet. Not sure about fun, hard on core.. Nasty! Well done. Sub 4 next year.

Tutu, lovely news.

Scott, were you eating the bagel as you ran? Relax now.

Martin, marathon in your birthday week. nuts!

Legs fine, some single leg squats at speed/ strength class (mcs yes! it does help) and all good, right quad fine. good stretching too. I take my hat off to AH, they had us lying on a weight bench doing breast stroke action with 2.5kg weights. Think I'd be drinking most of the water.

04/10/2012 at 07:24
Hi FRC wasn't eating the bagel while running! Remember, I am in Boston, so while running in the dark I have to concentrate on dodging dog sh*t and hobos.
04/10/2012 at 09:04

FRC are you looking for a stretch or a strengthening exercise?  Squats/lunges etc are for strength rather than stretching.  The one I think you're describing starting in press up position (if I understand properly) is more of a hip flexor stretch, although it's more likely to get the most superficial hip flexor  (not the main one - those are deeper and attach to the pelvis and lumbar spine) which is a quad muscle (rectus femoris - the one right up the front of your thigh). Are you having probs in particular with your quads?  Ask your massage therapist if they know soft tissue release and/or MET.  There are a ways you can administer MET on yourself and they could perhaps show you.

One slightly different way of doing the bog standard (but very effective) quad stretch might be to do it in a different position just to see if it gets the bits you need to get.  For eg kneel down with one knee up in front (as if you've done a lunge but have rested your back knee down on the floor.  Stay facing forwards, but grab the back foot (so your back leg will be in a v shape with your foot off the floor) and pull it towards you.  Actually it's just the same as the standing one but it's kneeling down but you might get a slightly different purchase.

You could also try contracting your glutes at the same time (standing or kneeling). 

Edited: 04/10/2012 at 09:07
04/10/2012 at 09:08

Am going to try cycling to see if my knee will play ball.  It's not very good... am worried that it might be cartiledge (am ALWAYS worried it might be cartiledge...)

04/10/2012 at 09:28
Hope the knee okay AH.

Quad stretch. See my last couple of posts since Sunday. Top of page 3111, although I think we x posted. Leg jammed up in final mile on last run, had to stop knee pain , after 3-5 minutes & stretches was able to run again.

Massage Tuesday pointed at right quads pulling everything tight around knee, hence why I was interested in any quad stretch variations. Kneeling one sounds like it will do a bit more, vary the angle. Leg feels fine now, testing tonight. Then running a bit with Jovi on Saturday.
mcs
04/10/2012 at 12:56

Congrats to Tutu......my bro in law just sent me his OHs scan piccies 20 weeks......he is down in the warmth of Espana.
I sit on a Swizz ball at work, had a load of back issues last few years, told to pack road running etc and since last spring, exercise gentle, core stuff and a swizz ball at work for my chair infront of the computer all is good.

Nice present to self, a marathon in Mablethorpe, that sounds a flat very cold and perhaps windy day out. All the best for that one.

04/10/2012 at 13:00

DTF - while the noise sounded loud in my head extenally it was probably a tenth on the AH scale.

AH - sorry to hear about knee. I have a iffy knee but hope its just tight quads.

04/10/2012 at 13:41

I still make a racket when running hard.  I have been known to apologise to surrounding runners during sessions .

Well, I've reassured myself my knee isn't cartilage (now spelt properly) so am happier. Think it might be a little ligament at the front between the menisci which would explain why too much twisting or downward pressure aggravate it.  The fab news is that cycling is ok so I did a set of lactate intervals on the bike up a hill this morning. Feel better now.

Has anyone seen the fab 'photo' of Richard Whitehead doing the rounds on FB?  Scan of a ittle baby in the womb holding a couple of dumbells.

04/10/2012 at 14:24

Taper tiredness... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.