sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,261 to 62,280 of 66,871 messages
04/10/2012 at 09:04

FRC are you looking for a stretch or a strengthening exercise?  Squats/lunges etc are for strength rather than stretching.  The one I think you're describing starting in press up position (if I understand properly) is more of a hip flexor stretch, although it's more likely to get the most superficial hip flexor  (not the main one - those are deeper and attach to the pelvis and lumbar spine) which is a quad muscle (rectus femoris - the one right up the front of your thigh). Are you having probs in particular with your quads?  Ask your massage therapist if they know soft tissue release and/or MET.  There are a ways you can administer MET on yourself and they could perhaps show you.

One slightly different way of doing the bog standard (but very effective) quad stretch might be to do it in a different position just to see if it gets the bits you need to get.  For eg kneel down with one knee up in front (as if you've done a lunge but have rested your back knee down on the floor.  Stay facing forwards, but grab the back foot (so your back leg will be in a v shape with your foot off the floor) and pull it towards you.  Actually it's just the same as the standing one but it's kneeling down but you might get a slightly different purchase.

You could also try contracting your glutes at the same time (standing or kneeling). 

Edited: 04/10/2012 at 09:07
04/10/2012 at 09:08

Am going to try cycling to see if my knee will play ball.  It's not very good... am worried that it might be cartiledge (am ALWAYS worried it might be cartiledge...)

04/10/2012 at 09:28
Hope the knee okay AH.

Quad stretch. See my last couple of posts since Sunday. Top of page 3111, although I think we x posted. Leg jammed up in final mile on last run, had to stop knee pain , after 3-5 minutes & stretches was able to run again.

Massage Tuesday pointed at right quads pulling everything tight around knee, hence why I was interested in any quad stretch variations. Kneeling one sounds like it will do a bit more, vary the angle. Leg feels fine now, testing tonight. Then running a bit with Jovi on Saturday.
mcs
04/10/2012 at 12:56

Congrats to Tutu......my bro in law just sent me his OHs scan piccies 20 weeks......he is down in the warmth of Espana.
I sit on a Swizz ball at work, had a load of back issues last few years, told to pack road running etc and since last spring, exercise gentle, core stuff and a swizz ball at work for my chair infront of the computer all is good.

Nice present to self, a marathon in Mablethorpe, that sounds a flat very cold and perhaps windy day out. All the best for that one.

04/10/2012 at 13:00

DTF - while the noise sounded loud in my head extenally it was probably a tenth on the AH scale.

AH - sorry to hear about knee. I have a iffy knee but hope its just tight quads.

04/10/2012 at 13:41

I still make a racket when running hard.  I have been known to apologise to surrounding runners during sessions .

Well, I've reassured myself my knee isn't cartilage (now spelt properly) so am happier. Think it might be a little ligament at the front between the menisci which would explain why too much twisting or downward pressure aggravate it.  The fab news is that cycling is ok so I did a set of lactate intervals on the bike up a hill this morning. Feel better now.

Has anyone seen the fab 'photo' of Richard Whitehead doing the rounds on FB?  Scan of a ittle baby in the womb holding a couple of dumbells.

04/10/2012 at 14:24

Taper tiredness... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

04/10/2012 at 15:26

not long to go DTF! still confident of sub 4??

04/10/2012 at 16:50

so weird how you get so exhausted in taper!!! had it last saturday before my 17!!!

DCS 3 x 20 and 2 x 18 is really more than enough for marathon training!!!!!!! truly -

tell him everyone....

Martin - sorry am late with the happy birthday!! have a good one this weekend......

and Scott and Dave of course - but will be back with more good wishes before then..

04/10/2012 at 18:07
Scott - fully confident of sub 4... Unless I pick up this cold that everyone seems to have!

1733 is my number (I'll to go and check now)
04/10/2012 at 21:19
What is 40 30 30? I don't think Jovi's stats are that bonkers. I did 1:47 half and 4 hrs 10 marathon near to each other. Once. In a former injury free life. AH did it come yet?
04/10/2012 at 21:49
DTF , look out for me, number 360
04/10/2012 at 23:45
Ikle, 40/30/30 carbs protein fat percentage. A few diets go that way, healthy eating too.

I thought 1:42 half and 3:36 marathon a bit unusual?. Runners world had a thread that analysed half to full conversions of 200 plus people and came out with a rough rule of multiply by 2.26. (estimate of 3:55, 20 min diff). Half time can be soft or hilly course and expected a lower time.

Yep, 3x 20, 2 x 18 milers is enough for marathon/ sub 4. Well under that, some people (but not all) need more for endurance. Did 5 x 20+ for last marathon, 7 counting 18mi,.. Thinking of doing at least 7 for London, starting in December.

DtF, Scott, if I don't get a chance before Sunday, good luck!
Hoping to be at mile 16, Holt? If late getting up, will just be mile 25

Off to Yorkshire tomorrow for some R&R, then some running & avoiding cows on Saturday.
05/10/2012 at 09:33

2 more sleeps...

05/10/2012 at 09:36

when are you getting there DTF?

05/10/2012 at 09:38

FRC, I will keep an eye open for you, I will be in black and yellow vest, looking like a big sweaty bumble bee....

05/10/2012 at 09:39

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/704800/gallery/me_and_aaron.jpg?width=350

05/10/2012 at 13:11

Scott - I'm driving over from Didsbury early, parking somewhere, walking to the racecourse for about 8am

mcs
05/10/2012 at 13:38

Is it Chester this weekend? Red Bull in the Peak District too I believe.....all the best to all racing this weekend.
Remember Our patience will achieve more than our force. Dont set off to quick!!!

05/10/2012 at 16:03

..two more sleeps or two more resless nights!!

I have (for unknown reason) just entered Edinburgh marathon....might actually run it this time (last time I entered I pulled out last minute and ended up watching Howard fall over the line).

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.