sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,361 to 62,380 of 67,665 messages
09/10/2012 at 16:26

MCS, I was in bakewell yesterday!, took the scenic route home from chester on the way back to lincs!

we pop up to derbyshire 4 or 5 times a year for a holiday, next time I am up your way, if you fancy a bit of company on a run I will come with you! last time we stayed in castleton I ran up mam tor, via hollins cross, thought my lungs were going to explode, noiw thats a hill!!!!

09/10/2012 at 16:28

DTF, how do you know what position you were in at half way point?? 

09/10/2012 at 16:45
FRC - legs fine, tired (but as usual, 2 full on days of work!) - hungry...
Scott - I went to the results link from Power of 10 site, lots of useful stats!!
09/10/2012 at 16:51

is "stage position" where I was at half way point?

09/10/2012 at 16:56

MCS i'm not far away from you. I live in chesterfield but looking at your times think you might be a bit quick for me at moment. 

09/10/2012 at 19:24
Iron blade, I will let you know when I am up that way, we can go for a plod in the peaks......
09/10/2012 at 22:20

Well done....., errr....., virtually everyone! Maras, Ultras, Halfs, and PBs all over the place!

Distinctly feeling too that I am no longer fit to be part of this thread. Don't post regularly, definitely never running another Mara, and have only run 3 times in 3 and half weeks since GNR, including tonight when I managed to clip a kerb in the dark and rain, nearly fell over head first and managed to tweak right hamstring! Might take up knitting instead like Wabo 

No races booked and work and home commitments seem to be conspiring against me to get one in the diary, and I don't tend to run as regularly without a race to aim for.

He ho. Keep on running all, in my place!

Any plans for a pre-Xmas meet-up?

09/10/2012 at 22:43

Well done Dave and everybody else....sorry I am not even fit enough to write much else on here as fingers feeling tired!!

09/10/2012 at 22:50
Pre x mas meet? Sounds like fun....
10/10/2012 at 07:09
Yes pre Christmas would be lovely... Dates that suit the northern contingent ? And AH ? You alright ? You never told us what was wrong?

No time to run last night clearing up after film crew for hours , cross training.
10/10/2012 at 10:42

Hey Didds, sure you will do something. Just need mojo back.

Wnder how the Marathon boys legs are feeling. My legs felt pretty good last night considering they'd run 35 miles 3 days before. so I did the club speed session 10 hills (of Hell !) last night, not flat out but 90-95%, but still fast enough to be at front of our merry middle group. 2 pals who looked after me when starting reckon I need to move up to the fast boys group. Eeek.

Susan, Jovi mentioned a date I think when she was in London or nearby. Wed 12th December I think?

10/10/2012 at 12:31
Legs completely normal again...hoorah! Very pleased about that.

Thanks for the Peak Performance link FRC - very useful

The only date in can do for a Xmas meet up is Wednesday 5th Dec - any good for anyone?
10/10/2012 at 16:56

I cant do Wednesdays as I work so dont think I;d be able to get there in time.  Might be able to finish a little earlier.  The only Weds I could potentially do is following week as outside chance I might be doing Enigma marathon in Milton Keynes on 12 Dec.

If 5th works for others will see if I can finish early that day.

10/10/2012 at 17:45

my legs are about back to normal, will be running later, only 4 or 5 miles on my own though..

10/10/2012 at 19:41

well thats just remarkable - Dave and Scotts legs are completely back to normal after two days from running really well and hard for 26.2 miles and FRC is back doing killer hill sessions after a 35 mile run -

I really am on the wrong thread... I need to find one with mortals on it.......

10/10/2012 at 19:45

Didds - I know the feeling but don't be silly, it doesn't matter how often you post or how often you run, don't you dare threaten to leave us! I won't be running at all until at least next April but I plan to still pop in here and be 'part' of the thread even if v loosely and won't have any great running tales to tell! Same with you Susan, at leas you are still running!

Well done everyone though, far too much going on, you are all amazing!!

How is Howard by the way, has he been on recently?

Would love to see you all before Christmas but realistically very unlikely I could make it down unless it's a weekend, but even then, with imminent house move (no actual date) all a bit up in the air. We'll see though, if you guys choose a date I'll see if there's any way I can make it.

10/10/2012 at 20:52

Scott - you are about to experience my bossy side. Everyone else has and will ignore it but I'll say it anyway.

Be very careful about starting to run again so soon.  It's too soon for most mortals. Your initial DOMS might have gone but that doesn't mean you're recovered because there's more to recovery from a long run like a mara - and an ultra - than your legs feeling ok. Your adrenal system is shot, your central nervous system is knackered which means your motor nerves won't be firing as well which means your muscles won't work as well (and seeing they and all your tendons and ligaments are still tired the risk of injury is significantly increased), many of your mitochondria will have detonated when the muscle fibres they were living in were demolished so that means you won't have energy delivery system firing on all cylinders (and probably wont' for a month).

Injuries can take up to two weeks to manifest themselves after a mara so pleeeeeease be careful.  there is absolutely no physical benefit to getting back to it too soon - much more benefit to be had from a couple of weeks doing nothing more than some walking. Swimming is great and flat, effort-free cycling is good too, both as active recovery. but running has too much impact.  Sorry to be so boring. If you absolutely HAVE to go for a run because your life depends upon it... 20 mins on grass, very slowly. If you HAVE to.

This blog might help. And this one.  And this one, too.  I'm a bit passionate about it.

10/10/2012 at 20:52
Slack, you are more than welcome in here with me and the super human DTF! Bathe in our glory ! Lol.
10/10/2012 at 20:58
AH, I take on board what you are saying, I didn't go for a run this evening. And please always feel free to offer advice. I have only been running seriously for the last 18 months, and am very receptive to advice!
10/10/2012 at 21:48

Great news, Scott!  Just out of interest, why didn't you go?  Did you realise you actually felt quite tired?  It's a wierd thing isn't it?  A week ago you were a coiled spring, full of tapered energy, ready for anything. Then on Sunday you smashed out 26 sub 4 miles (am v jealous!).  The first time you run you'll prob wonder how on earth you ever did it when you feel shattered after 20 mins!

Enjoy the recovery

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.